In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Tool junkies

2»

Comments

• Options
    dcon12dcon12 Member Posts: 31,969 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Easco tools makes Napa and Craftsman tools. I am not sure about who else they make tools for. Before the tools became NAPA, they were called New Britain tools. I have most brands in my big box but only Craftsman in the little box in the truck. Don
  • Options
    RtWngExtrmstRtWngExtrmst Member Posts: 7,456
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by burdz19
    quote:Originally posted by RtWngExtrmst
    quote:Originally posted by dongizmo
    To the couple of posters that mentioned "foundry"....... If you can find a "quality" tool that started out as a casting and not a forging and a full grown man can pick it without a forklift....... I'll buy you a steak.

Forgings are made by taking small diameter steel and "hammering" and trimming it into shape. Most tools have the term "dropped forged" on them.

Foundry's pour castings, steel-iron-aluminium-etc. Cost is the factor as well as strength of material. When you forge something, you are actually work hardening it and needs annealling before you ever wanna cut it. Then another round of heat treat and you have a quality USA made tool.

For the RTwing........ been there and seen how the Chinese make their product, inferior metalurgy- H/T and workmanship. Your statement is way off base. It is junk.

I appreciate what you're saying. I've been there too. More than 3o times. Have many cutting and measuring tools that I have brought back over the years. They are first class tools. That's why I buy them in China, but they're not cheap price.

Then why buy them in China.....
    Don

For one reason, I admire the ingunity and quality. For another, I found tools not available in US.

Sorry Rtwing I call BS on "ingunity", they started up with blueprints sent from USA manufactures looking for a cheaper deal. Reverse Design is not "ingunity". Brian

I think you're talking about Chinese made tools sold in America. For which I agree. I'm talking about tools made in China for sale in China.
  • Options
    burdz19burdz19 Member Posts: 4,145
    edited November -1
    Then my friend it might be time to cover our arses. Flood the market with cheap stuff, make it better and keep it at home.......don't for a minute think it is just tools [:(!][:(!][:(!]
  • Options
    dongizmodongizmo Member Posts: 14,477 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    To the couple of posters that mentioned "foundry"....... If you can find a "quality" tool that started out as a casting and not a forging and a full grown man can pick it without a forklift....... I'll buy you a steak.

Forgings are made by taking small diameter steel and "hammering" and trimming it into shape. Most tools have the term "dropped forged" on them.

Foundry's pour castings, steel-iron-aluminium-etc. Cost is the factor as well as strength of material. When you forge something, you are actually work hardening it and needs annealling before you ever wanna cut it. Then another round of heat treat and you have a quality USA made tool.

For the RTwing........ been there and seen how the Chinese make their product, inferior metalurgy- H/T and workmanship. Your statement is way off base. It is junk.

I appreciate what you're saying. I've been there too. More than 3o times. Have many cutting and measuring tools that I have brought back over the years. They are first class tools. That's why I buy them in China, but they're not cheap price.

Then why buy them in China.....
    Don

For one reason, I admire the ingunity and quality. For another, I found tools not available in US.

Sorry Rtwing I call BS on "ingunity", they started up with blueprints sent from USA manufactures looking for a cheaper deal. Reverse Design is not "ingunity". Brian

I think you're talking about Chinese made tools sold in America. For which I agree. I'm talking about tools made in China for sale in China.

Really, please don't keep us in suspense, what are they ?
    Don
    The ultimate result of shielding men from the effects of folly, is to fill the world with fools.
  • Options
    RtWngExtrmstRtWngExtrmst Member Posts: 7,456
    edited November -1
    The Chinese have been making precision tools since a point in history when our ancestors were trying to club rabbits and each other with a crooked stick. Most Americans have a sterotypical view of China tools based on the junk they sell to Walmart.
  • Options
    CaptplaidCaptplaid Member Posts: 20,296 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by select-fire
    Only wrenches I used in setup on machines... Williams.

What machines...oil rig?
  • Options
    dongizmodongizmo Member Posts: 14,477 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    The Chinese have been making precision tools since a point in history when our ancestors were trying to club rabbits and each other with a crooked stick. Most Americans have a sterotypical view of China tools based on the junk they sell to Walmart.

Ok, so what is it you bought there that you can't buy here?
    Don
    The ultimate result of shielding men from the effects of folly, is to fill the world with fools.
  • Options
    toolsforfoolstoolsforfools Member Posts: 1,285 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Sorry you feel that way.I'm betting you had a Bad experence with A snap-on rep.Not the tool.It sounds like you have alot of Snap-on-tools?quote:Originally posted by catpealer111
    Given the choice I wouldn't use Snap-On ever. There is nothing in their line of tools that I care for. I think the screw drivers are fragile, I've stripped out many Snap-On ratchet heads doing normal work, and the wrenches are too thin and the edges too sharp it use with bare hands. I'll stick with my NAPA Professional series tools.
  • Options
    EVILDR235EVILDR235 Member Posts: 4,398 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Wilde and Wright are still made in the U.S.A.

EvilDr235
  • Options
    penetraitorpenetraitor Member Posts: 3,870
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by LesWVa
    quote:Stanley...I think they go by New Britian..

Funny one.. There was a show on TV about the Stanley tools foundry.

American made wrenches

Blackhawk
    Proto
    MAC
    Husky
    Craftsman
    Benchtop
    NAPA

ALL came from the same factory.

Only different being the dies (molds) that were used to form the tools.

I think its Danaher.com throw in Matco also since they make 0% of their own tools, only boxes and roll carts. ( By the way, you can jerk the drawers open on and pay thousands of dollars for that security....)Also check out Matcos rivit features on top of their box. Don't need a back door anymore.
    And MAC. Do we need to go into this erectorset of a box made from global components?
    Its crazy you can get the same thing at Sears.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by toolsforfools
    I was a Snap-on rep for 27 yrs.Not all Snap-on tools are made in the USA.Way back in the day somebody said lets import Japan and Chinas tools and sell them for next to nothing and flood the market with "cheap" and inexpencive tools.Americans could not get enough of them.They bought them buy the ton.So at some point in order to survive Snap-on had to start to compete with what Americans wanted in order to stay in bussiness.That is why not all Snap-on-tools are made in America.As a dealer of 27 years I sold both.You give your customer what they want or they will buy it from somebody else.As far as price of A Snap-on-tool.The real reason they are priced the way they are is because we come to you.It cost to run a truck up and down the road every week to all the shops.Say what you want My customers all of them were sad to see me go.I had given them great service for 27 years and they became great friends.I watched alot of them grow up.I sold alot of them their first tools.There are very few businesses that offer that kind of service anymore.You see these guys and gals every week and you see the good times and the bad times they go through.Be careful what you want you might get it!Ask A Mechanic what tool they would like to work with if it were free.!10 out of 10 will say SNAP-ON-TOOLSquote:Originally posted by dongizmo
    quote:Originally posted by storm6490
    Snap on.
    But they are not the only one.
    They are the only one with all 3,tools, tool boxes, & pneumatics
    Good tools, overpriced, but the snap on man gives you credit...
    Don

sorry to burst your bubble. i love snap on tools but next time the dealer comes to your shop. ask him why the USA is not stamped on the sockets anymore.

no reason for that premium price anymore.

it really makes me sad.

LOL,
    No bubble to bust here, I work for the competition [;)][:D]....
    Don

Todays Un Americans will want the Blue Point line up.[xx(] Made overseas.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by catpealer111
    Given the choice I wouldn't use Snap-On ever. There is nothing in their line of tools that I care for. I think the screw drivers are fragile, I've stripped out many Snap-On ratchet heads doing normal work, and the wrenches are too thin and the edges too sharp it use with bare hands. I'll stick with my NAPA Professional series tools.

If you had extra money I bet you would buy a brand new rice berner also...You could be a part of our problem.

Do you have less cash in your hand now than you had before the false bottom?
  • Options
    edited November -1

Then you have been to better factories than I have and I respect your opinion. I also agree that they can make better than what they sell here, because Americans for the most part will buy cheap rather than quality. I have a good friend that works for a US import company that is making a killing while I lay people off. I still go back to the fact that the steel they are made from is inferior as is their finishing practices. I would hate to see the tool makes go the way of the machine tool makers......... I still have Bullards running in my shop that could never be matched by the cheap crap coming out of Taiwan, Japan, and now China...... Sorry to take this thread south but penetraitor asked a question about my backyard.[;)]

You didn't take it south as much as I see you as my back up as a wake up call...TO AMERICA.

KEEP GOING!!!

This is an AMERICAN thread and by all means if you can take it over please do.
  • Options
    topdadtopdad Member Posts: 3,408 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Did anyone ever answer the question?