In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

fast food workers DEMAND

spasmcreekspasmcreek Member Posts: 37,724 ✭✭✭
edited August 2013 in General Discussion
$15 an hour...walk off jobs in Kansas...NO mentions of more school, training, education, etc...and want to unionize...my support is given by NOT going in for a bummer burger..not to fear though for those that can't get by another day without one..rather imagine govt will fast track more "immigrants" to fill the vacancies

Comments

• Options
    Waco WaltzWaco Waltz Member Posts: 10,828 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'd be happy as a lark for 13 an hour and I work a hell of a lot harder then someone slinging burgers.
  • Options
    TooBigTooBig Member Posts: 28,560 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Most are probably illegals and they should be loaded up on the bus for a safe ride to the border. If they keep this up some of them will lose their food stamps and they have every chance to go back to school and get a education to better themselves.
    Some work very hard at the fast food places and they can advance but very poor English isn't helping them.
    Go into my local Mickey Ds and very few are speaking English and it's hard for them to fill the orders right
    15 bucks a hour will cost them jobs in the further and those are entry level jobs to get people started up
  • Options
    LaidbackDanLaidbackDan Member Posts: 13,143 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    They could walk off the job everyday and it would have absolutely no effect on my life.
  • Options
    shilowarshilowar Member Posts: 38,815 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    FIRE THEM...there will be other folks that will take that job.
  • Options
    KEVD18KEVD18 Member Posts: 15,037
    edited November -1
    If they want 15/hr for fast food work, they should go to the patch in n Dakota....
  • Options
    austin20austin20 Member Posts: 35,104 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    What these mental midgets don't understand is that the marketplace does not value fast food work at $15 per hour. However, IF they got $15 an hour for fast food work every other wage would soon rise and the price of every good and service would also rise and the buying power of $15 per hour would be the equivalent of the the buying power of what they are making today.
  • Options
    TxsTxs Member Posts: 18,801
    edited November -1
    The federal minimum wage was never intended to be for supporting/raising a family.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Txs
    The federal minimum wage was never intended to be for supporting/raising a family.
    Bingo!
  • Options
    JnRockwallJnRockwall Member Posts: 16,350 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Txs

That was before there were $500 iphone, $125 a mo cell phone bills, Ipods, Ipads, $3K apple laptops, internet, higher income taxes, union wages pushing the cost of cars to $15K for a pos.

I wonder why home builders are not union? Oh yeah, because the bank and the GOVERNMENT have to put their neck on the chopping block for homes.

$15hr for fast food? I won't be eating there anytime soon if they do. I will take my lunch.
  • Options
    tsavo303tsavo303 Member Posts: 8,905 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Few things in this world are as replaceable as fast food workers. And the are priced accordingly. U want the ones who want to get out ! The ones who want it to be a career I would be wary of!
  • Options
    allen griggsallen griggs Member Posts: 35,291 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    When I was a team truck driver, when I was rolling down the road at 65 mph I was making $15.20 an hour.
    Of course, when I was stopped at a terminal for 2 hours doing a live-unload, I got paid nothing.
    I was hauling a $200,000 cargo in a 40 ton truck, keeping the American economy on the move.

And they have to get $15 an hour for cooking french fries?
  • Options
    Horse Plains DrifterHorse Plains Drifter Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 39,471 ***** Forums Admin
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by us55840
    quote:Originally posted by KEVD18
    If they want 15/hr for fast food work, they should go to the patch in n Dakota....

I heard the pay there is $20 an hour ...... but NO PLACE to live. [:0]
    The 20 bucks is for an experienced heavy equipment mechanic with their own tools.
  • Options
    chiefrchiefr Member Posts: 13,853 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I am sure most of you have figured out labor unions are behind the protests. Look what happened in Detroit.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by allen griggs
    When I was a team truck driver, when I was rolling down the road at 65 mph I was making $15.20 an hour.
    Of course, when I was stopped at a terminal for 2 hours doing a live-unload, I got paid nothing.
    I was hauling a $200,000 cargo in a 40 ton truck, keeping the American economy on the move.

I always thought truck drivers made more than $15 per hour.
  • Options
    gary wraygary wray Member Posts: 4,663
    edited November -1
    They should be fired if they walked off the job and be replaced. These are entry level jobs where one has to prove him/herself to move up...and you don't do that by complaining about how low your wages are! I started at the prevailing wage at the time ($1 per hour) in a steel plant and got a whopping $33.75 for one hard weeks work. Didn't complain and was happy to get it. Now, I wasn't a 16yr old father with a cell phone and such....just me working my A+# off and saving dough for college.....as I had to work my way through. I say can them and get some others who want to work rather than suck up to the unions and march.
  • Options
    JunkballerJunkballer Member Posts: 9,191 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by austin20

They do but only when the wheels are turning, any other time its usually $0.

"Never do wrong to make a friend----or to keep one".....Robert E. Lee

• Options
    ChrisInTempeChrisInTempe Member Posts: 15,562
    edited November -1
    It's their right to roll the dice and take their chances. I expect them to lose, but every American has the right to set their price and try to get it.

I'd haggle back hard on it though, were it me on the management side. You want to strike for a $2 raise for a burger flipper job? Okay then, my first offer is a $2 pay cut.

How about we split the difference and everyone get back to work?
  • Options
    edited November -1

The trick was, I also got paid $15.20 an hour while my partner was driving and I was sleeping. It came out to $62K a year.

Pretty good pay, but still a difficult, dangerous and dirty job, should pay about $10K higher.
    Rated the 9th most dangerous job in the US.

Guys in the union make much more. I know of a guy in Buffalo NY in the Teamsters who makes $119K.
  • Options
    retroxler58retroxler58 Member Posts: 32,693 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1

Ain't it jus'great.... [}:)]
  • Options
    DieHard4DieHard4 Member Posts: 2,373 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1

The trick was, I also got paid $15.20 an hour while my partner was driving and I was sleeping. It came out to $62K a year.

Pretty good pay, but still a difficult, dangerous and dirty job, should pay about $10K higher.

Guys in the union make much more. I know of a guy in Buffalo NY in the Teamsters who makes $119K.

What makes it dangerous? The weather, the terrain, traffic? I heard truck drivers can make a lot. But I can't handle all the driving. Just doing 2-3 hours a day in the car around here hurts my back and knees. I know truck drivers have to have a lot of back problems at least.
  • Options
    DieHard4DieHard4 Member Posts: 2,373 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    And to the original topic, I spent many years making minimum wage in store jobs. And even though I have multiple degrees and can't find anything around these parts, even I am smart enough to know raising min wage will only result in less jobs, less hours per person, and higher prices on items sold, which results in less sales, which then results in less hours and jobs, and you get the idea.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    and how does obamacare figure in ..will all these jobs go to below minimum hours a week ...or does govt simply paper change rules that 15 hours a week is a full time job ???
  • Options
    edited November -1

For all the time you guys are on the road and away from home I would have thought you made more than 62k per year.
  • Options
    the middlethe middle Member Posts: 3,089
    edited November -1
    Have any of you ever been to a McDonalds in NYC? Or any big city?

A Big Mac there is 7 bucks. McDonalds gets its supplies all from the same place..the corporation...it sells everything to the francises and its own corpaorate stores. They pay the same price for bugers in Bedford PA (in other words, in the sticks) as they do in NYC, and they also pay the same minium wage in the two places, but yet, that Big Mag costs a hell of lot more in NYC....and its not because it costs more there either.....and NYC aint a cheap place to live either. So, it depends on where they are...in NYC they should get 15 bucks, after all, you already pay those wages in the prices they charge there, but do not pay that to the employees....in Bedford...NO....the minium wage in fair there.....
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I am now a solo driver and making $47K. There are lots of solo drivers making $40K, some make less than that.
    We should make more. For being out on the road for 8 days and nights, and then 2 days off, I should be at around $60K. We do have pretty good benefits, good medical insurance for $200 a month and a 401K.

A study just came out that rated truck driving as the 9th most dangerous job in the US. I was surprised that it is that dangerous. Logging and commercial fishing were one and two. I got my knee broken badly in a logging accident, one of my hobbies, so I know how dangerous that job is. Obviously commercial fishing is dangerous, "The Perfect Storm" etc.

I am not sure why this job is rated as so dangerous. I guess a lot of guys get killed in wrecks. I do have a $250K life insurance policy but I keep telling the fiancee, no good to put the arsenic in my coffee, I have to die on the job for her to get her red Jaguar.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    The cost of goods has very little to do with the price difference of Big Macs in NYC versus Bedford Pa.
    I would think much higher rent/real estate, taxes, insurance, utilities, trash removal, etc. would have more to do with the price difference.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    maybe another point..govt will mandate pay raise...they sure are happy to give the unions free reign...aka gm & Chrysler...and it accomplishes another layer of transfer the wealth from those who earned it to those that want it at no cost to govt
  • Options
    joker5656joker5656 Member Posts: 5,598 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    So when and IF they get that type of pay, fast would be gourmet?? LoL
  • Options
    CaptFunCaptFun Member Posts: 16,678 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by the middle

A Big Mac there is 7 bucks. McDonalds gets its supplies all from the same place..the corporation...it sells everything to the francises and its own corpaorate stores. They pay the same price for bugers in Bedford PA (in other words, in the sticks) as they do in NYC, and they also pay the same minium wage in the two places, but yet, that Big Mag costs a hell of lot more in NYC....and its not because it costs more there either.....and NYC aint a cheap place to live either. So, it depends on where they are...in NYC they should get 15 bucks, after all, you already pay those wages in the prices they charge there, but do not pay that to the employees....in Bedford...NO....the minium wage in fair there.....

What is the cost of the real estate in NYC brainiac? In NYC, the Burgers and the buns and everything have to be delivered by teamsters. One driver, one co-driver, four people to load the truck, four people to unload the truck at the site, two more to ferry the material inside and another two to stack it inside the store. So 14 people getting paid some laughingly high rate to do the same job as the one guy that loads/drives/unloads and stacks the stuff in PA. Gee, I wonder why the BigMac is $7. (Probably more than that.... I'll have to ask my Brother to check next time he goes up. His company just bought the NYSE so now he get to go up there several times a month...[xx(])

And still you cant see why unions are killing this once great nation.
  • Options
    Mk 19Mk 19 Member Posts: 8,170
    edited November -1
    Provide $15 per hour service and get paid $15 per hour, when are they going to understand that entry level jobs get entry level pay?
  • Options
    airbornerizzairbornerizz Member Posts: 674 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I saw a guy on the news being interviewed. He was a delivery guy for a pizza place and had been doing it for 20+ years. The reporter even asked why he didn't get a better paying job. His response: why should he, he likes the job he has... just more stupidity from this generation/era of entitlement...
  • Options
    JnRockwallJnRockwall Member Posts: 16,350 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    When I worked at Best Buy I thought it was the greatest job ever. Other than the pay and lack of benefits. I stayed long enough to realize the pay wasn't going to give me the things I needed in life and moved on to a real job.
  • Options
    Waco WaltzWaco Waltz Member Posts: 10,828 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    ON the other hand all workers in every industry should walk off the job when employers try and cut them down from 40 hours a week to avoid Obama care.
  • Options
    jltrentjltrent Member Posts: 9,222 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    From what I have seen fast food workers are some of the hardest workers. It is like fighting fire at my local McDonalds for the workers and when it slows down employees are sent home. As being one of the largest companies in the world the workers IMO should get a larger piece of the pie. Look at what the stock holders get for never even raising a hand. Also some of the current and former McDonald workers I know are good people.
  • Options
    CbtEngr01CbtEngr01 Member Posts: 4,340
    edited November -1
    Idiots. We should have a 'bring a fast food worker to work' day, and show them what work really is.
  • Options
    guntech59guntech59 Member Posts: 23,187 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1

Just the price of real estate and property taxes would make a huge difference between NYC and Bum%^#k, USA. That is probably the biggest factor in price difference. I can't rule out greed though.
  • Options
    the middlethe middle Member Posts: 3,089
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by CaptFun

What is the cost of the real estate in NYC brainiac? In NYC, the Burgers and the buns and everything have to be delivered by teamsters. One driver, one co-driver, four people to load the truck, four people to unload the truck at the site, two more to ferry the material inside and another two to stack it inside the store. So 14 people getting paid some laughingly high rate to do the same job as the one guy that loads/drives/unloads and stacks the stuff in PA. Gee, I wonder why the BigMac is $7. (Probably more than that.... I'll have to ask my Brother to check next time he goes up. His company just bought the NYSE so now he get to go up there several times a month...[xx(])

And still you cant see why unions are killing this once great nation.

If teamsters deliver their products in NYC...than teamsters also deliver to all McDonalds everywhere....the stuff comes in a corporate owned truck from the same corp. owned distribution center....

Real estate is no doubt higher in NYC...but not that high....4 times over sticks maybe..spread out over years...it doesnt add that much more to costs.

Taxes are outta control up there...but not enough to justify chargeing 3 times normal price..

Utilities are regulated up there and are cheaper than what we pay in PA..both gas and power (PA has a competative market for power..which was supposed to make it cheaper...what a joke that turned out to be)

Im not saying all fast food workers should get 15 bucks...no. way in hell should they....but in places like NYC...where everything in expensive...a person must be able to get enough from their labor to at least buy the products they make....which means you need 15 bucks an hour in NYC. No so in a lot of other places.
  • Options
    Removed at users request.Removed at users request. Member Posts: 3,027
    edited November -1

You really thought this one through, didn't you?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    big blurb on news this showing our highly skilled FFWs on STRIKE demanding higher wages...especially loved the many signs in SPANISH....Si....only in America
  • Options
    john carrjohn carr Member Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    They don't really want $15 an hour. Well, they would love to have it but the brains (limited tho they may be) behind this drive know that asking for $15 may get a compromise offer of $12. Congress has been doing this for years.