In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

FFL'S not taking individual sales

OldcenturionOldcenturion Member Posts: 8 ✭✭
edited February 2014 in General Discussion
[/font
=Georgia]As an individual selling out my personal collection of over 250 items, I'm finding more and more FFL's that won't take any modern firearms from a non licensed seller. I have more documentation than most FFL dealers. When I have to go to my dealer, he charges a fee which I pass on to the buyer. This is a ADDED expense for THEIR customer. Most buyers are switching dealers. I mean these dealers know it's lawful to send a purchase by non license and still they are hard headed about this. This also discourages buyers to buy firearms at all and certainly not to use that dealer. Is this a new trend??

Comments

• Options
    Horse Plains DrifterHorse Plains Drifter Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 39,408 ***** Forums Admin
    edited November -1
    If you find an ffl on GB's transfer dealer list who won't accept firearms from a private seller, CaptFun wants to know about it.
  • Options
    claysclays Member Posts: 1,914 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    How many do you want me to list. I just sold a gun to a buyer in Delaware and am yet to find any dealer listed on the GB list of receiving FFLs that will accept it without going thru an FFL on my end.
  • Options
    He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 50,964 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by us55840

If the FFL has decided that is their policy, that is their option.

Find a different FFL.

[:)]

Swell, that does not solve the problem if the uncooperative FFL is on the buyers end.

It is usually cheaper to pay an ffl to transfer and ship a hand gun than for an individual to ship a handgun, though that is not true with long guns.
  • Options
    Horse Plains DrifterHorse Plains Drifter Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 39,408 ***** Forums Admin
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by clays
    How many do you want me to list. I just sold a gun to a buyer in Delaware and am yet to find any dealer listed on the GB list of receiving FFLs that will accept it without going thru an FFL on my end.
    Let auction support know. CaptFun has stated he wants to know about these dealers so he can plumb them up. Give the system a hand, please.
  • Options
    jwb267jwb267 Member Posts: 19,666 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have no problem accepting a firearm from an individual as long as they show me a photo ID.
  • Options
    nunnnunn Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 36,018 ******
    edited November -1
    Well...are you going to identify FFLs, registered with GunBroker as transfer agents, who will not receive a firearm from a non-FFL, and report to Support?

Or, are you just going to * about it on the forums?

Do you curse the darkness or light a candle?
  • Options
    nmyersnmyers Member Posts: 16,880 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I find that HOW you ask is important.

In my GB description, I always say, "Be sure that your FFL will receive this from a nonlicensee; I will include a photocopy of my DL with the gun."

Neal
  • Options
    woodshed87woodshed87 Member Posts: 25,785
    edited November -1
    Oh by the way Welcome to The Forum
    Woodyquote:Originally posted by nunn
    Well...are you going to identify FFLs, registered with GunBroker as transfer agents, who will not receive a firearm from a non-FFL, and report to Support?

Or, are you just going to * about it on the forums?

Do you curse the darkness or light a candle?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I accept firearms from non-FFLs. It is incumbent on the buyer to make sure the seller identifies himself to me. If the gun arrives with no ID, as happens sometimes, it stays HERE, in the safe, until I have proper ID in hand.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Island Gun shop Portsmith R.I.
    Jewelers Supply and Gun San Antonio TX
    and 3 others the customer found another FFL to handle.(didn't record the FFL that denied sale) This was in Nov& Dec 2013. Most of my records for 2013 are stored. If have put the statement about individual to FFL in my listings.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Is there a time limit on responses? I still work and check the box every few hours as I can.
    I put on what I had and had asked if this was a new trend by FFL's I'm not just "bitching" as it was so rudely put.
  • Options
    rossowmnrossowmn Member Posts: 1,959 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Oldcenturion

Is there a time limit on responses? I still work and check the box every few hours as I can.
    I put on what I had and had asked if this was a new trend by FFL's I'm not just "bitching" as it was so rudely put.

I don't want to enter the rude-or-not fray, but I can see why you, as a new member, may simply be trying to learn how this stuff all works. Asking questions is how you can learn.

I've been here for more than 10 years, have bought close to 200 guns here and on other sites (not to mention privately, at shops and at shows) and still find interesting, often confusing, nuances in the way FFLs and C&Rs and private-vs.-dealer and other sales and transfers can be handled. Even (or should I say especially?) BATF agents interpret the rules differently, so seek as much advice as you can.

And welcome to the forum. Without new members, who will replace those wsameve on or get turned off? Best of luck with disposing of your collection.
  • Options
    fordsixfordsix Member Posts: 8,722
    edited November -1
    the problem is sellers not wanting to send a copy of DL or ID with out adulterating to heck
  • Options
    nmyersnmyers Member Posts: 16,880 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Time limit? No. Some folks dredge up ancient posts using the SEARCH feature, & comment on posts originally discussed 10 years ago.

I think that the only "trend" is for firearms laws to get more numerous & complex, & that makes the marginally educated dealers uncomfortable. "The firearms business" is more about business today than firearms; the consequences of making a mistake are more serious than any field other than medicine.

To be fair, those of us not in the firearms business need to know the law, too. A dealer must enter an FFL # or name & address in the "receipts" field of his bound book; if he receives a gun without an FFL or a credible name & address, he must hold the gun for better information. ATF agents expect him to have valid information in his bound book. Which is why I suggested offering a photocopy of your DL.

Neal
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thank you all for your input. I will continue to I.D. and report these FFL's. When I ship a gun I send the following:
    1.Current State D.L. with photo
    2.State Concealed carry permit
    3.My Federal Concealed Carry Permit (HR218)
    4.My retired law enforcement credentials w/photo
    5.A business card as an appraiser, with name, address, phone, email and website.
    I believe this is more than adequate for any FFL.
    Thanks again!
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by nmyers
    Which is why I suggested offering a photocopy of your DL.

Neal
    I have never looked through the "for sellers" information on the auction side, but perhaps GB should require sellers of "FFL required" merchandise to provide a "CLEAR SIGNED COPY of a driver's license, or PICTURED state issued ID card".
  • Options
    ChrisInTempeChrisInTempe Member Posts: 15,562
    edited November -1
    When I bid on GB auctions I also check the current "Find an FFL" list. Vrify the FFL I've been using is still the best price, closest to me, and will accept the shipment. So far I have not run into a problem with one not accepting a gun from a non-FFL holding seller.

If I ever do run into that I'll rat them out with GB Support danged fast, and take my business elsewhere.

One other point. When you do find an FFL to handle transactions for you, consider what you are paying. If they hit you for $50, they are making a killing and have no reason to be bothered if you buy nothing else from them.

If the FFL charges you $10 or $15, look for something else you need and buy it from them. A box of ammo, s bottle of Hoppes #9, anything really. Show the ones that gave you a fair price on a transfer how much you appreciate them.
  • Options
    capguncapgun Member Posts: 1,848
    edited November -1
    I can see why an FFL will receive a firearm from only another FFL. If some problem results later from the firearm, it is found to be stolen, embezzled, or malfunctioning, the receiving FFL will be in the loop. Better for the FFL to show investigators that he received it from another dealer than some stranger who sent him a drivers license copy (that could be fraudulant or altered) and who may not even be able to be located.
  • Options
    CaptFunCaptFun Member Posts: 16,678 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1

Open a support issue and let me know which FFLs are doing it. We will attempt to educate them, but if that does not work then they will be removed from the GunBroker network. Clearly I don't want FFLs in there that are hassling my customers. Most of the time these folks are still thinking of us as their "competition", sometimes the education part works, but most of the time you just have to wait for the old school owners to die off and the newer generation to take over.
  • Options
    drobsdrobs Member Posts: 22,545 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by capgun
    I can see why an FFL will receive a firearm from only another FFL. If some problem results later from the firearm, it is found to be stolen, embezzled, or malfunctioning, the receiving FFL will be in the loop. Better for the FFL to show investigators that he received it from another dealer than some stranger who sent him a drivers license copy (that could be fraudulant or altered) and who may not even be able to be located.

That's the exact reason both of my transfer dealers gave me.
    Real easy to get someone else's drivers license, make a copy of it, and use that to sell stolen guns.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by capgun

There is no legal requirement for the seller to supply ID to the receiving FFL see the ATF FFL Newsletter from November 2012. http://www.atf.gov/files/publications/newsletters/ffl/ffl-newsletter-2012-11.pdf (Bottom left of page 5) Again, FFLs that obstruct transactions on GunBroker that are not following the law will be removed from the network.
  • Options
    booter_onebooter_one Member Posts: 2,345
    edited November -1
    Good informative thread. I learn new things here almost everyday! I like the way CaptFun is on top of things here, which helps all the readers.![^]
  • Options
    shilowarshilowar Member Posts: 38,815 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I've bought several guns on GB from private parties. My FFLs will receive the guns, but I have had a couple sellers that did things in correctly. One even sent a Beretta 96 Priority Mail and it was left unattended for an entire day on my FFL's front stoop.
  • Options
    MG1890MG1890 Member Posts: 4,649
    edited November -1
    I've sold lots of guns on GB. I've always shipped them to a FFL. I DO NOT have a FFL, and I have NEVER had a problem.

This is legal. If the FFL wants to make up their own rules, that's between the buyer and his FFL. I've been paid.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:There is no legal requirement for the seller to supply ID to the receiving FFL see the ATF FFL Newsletter from November 2012.

OK, Captain, but if he doesn't provide ID, what do I enter in my bound book?

I have had individuals drop guns off at the local Pack & Postal. I get a package with no ID, and the return address is that of a mailbox business. I didn't receive the gun from Pack & Postal, so what do I enter in the book?
  • Options
    partisanpartisan Member Posts: 6,414
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Horse Plains Drifter
    If you find an ffl on GB's transfer dealer list who won't accept firearms from a private seller, CaptFun wants to know about it.

+1 [:(!][:(!]
  • Options
    jwb267jwb267 Member Posts: 19,666 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    WELL THEN YOU BETTER REMOVE ME FROM YOUR TRANSFER AGENTS LIST
    I HAVE TO HAVE A NAME AND ADDRESS WHERE IT CAME FROM or ffl #
    that is what the A&D book asks for
    sorry for all caps. I am not mad or yelling
  • Options
    retroxler58retroxler58 Member Posts: 32,693 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by nunn
    quote:There is no legal requirement for the seller to supply ID to the receiving FFL see the ATF FFL Newsletter from November 2012.

I have had individuals drop guns off at the local Pack & Postal. I get a package with no ID, and the return address is that of a mailbox business. I didn't receive the gun from Pack & Postal, so what do I enter in the book?
    Good Question...
  • Options
    shilowarshilowar Member Posts: 38,815 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1

That's pretty much what my FFL * about last time because the crappy seller put no information in the package with the gun.

BTW is there a certain amount of time you have to leave feedback in?
  • Options
    ChrisInTempeChrisInTempe Member Posts: 15,562
    edited November -1
    Okay so here's a question -

Are there any States or localities that have laws requiring only FFL to FFL shipments of guns?

So far I've not run into such a scenario. But being in Arizona, my end of the deal is a pretty easy one, and generally low cost.

Your mileage on this should not vary, but as this is an imperfect world, it's likely to be plenty screwed over for somebody or another.
  • Options
    jimdeerejimdeere Member, Moderator Posts: 25,700 ******
    edited November -1
    Just tell them you are ga y. They cannot discriminate against you.
  • Options
    CoolhandLukeCoolhandLuke Member Posts: 7,825 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    A while back I had similar experience with GB auction side registered FFL.
    I reported to GB and the FFL was promptly eradicated from the GB list.
    We have to fight so we can run away.
    Capt. Jack Sparrow.
  • Options
    pistoljimpistoljim Member Posts: 967 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1

The buyer you are receiving the gun for should provide you with the
    sellers info. What more do you need other than name and address?
  • Options
    MG1890MG1890 Member Posts: 4,649
    edited November -1
    When I did have an FFL, I found the return address label to be an excellent source of information.

Old Centurion, I think your are going way overboard on providing your name & address. No dealer cares about all of those permits.
  • Options
    dotcom_guy30dotcom_guy30 Member Posts: 2,572 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I always have an FFl ship my guns saves me the trouble of keeping up with an ffl
  • Options
    claysclays Member Posts: 1,914 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by CaptFun

Open a support issue and let me know which FFLs are doing it. We will attempt to educate them, but if that does not work then they will be removed from the GunBroker network. Clearly I don't want FFLs in there that are hassling my customers. Most of the time these folks are still thinking of us as their "competition", sometimes the education part works, but most of the time you just have to wait for the old school owners to die off and the newer generation to take over.

[edit by Captain Fun] Open a support issue. This is not the venue for posting the FFL info. However, that guy was a class act anyway. They were removed. Anyway it is the responsibility of the BUYER to find an FFL that will receive from you, it is not your responsibility to find the FFL.
  • Options
    Tailgunner1954Tailgunner1954 Member Posts: 7,734 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    All I can relate to is my long time FFL.
    Outbound transfers he does at UPS cost (and he gives you the UPS charge slip/receipt)
    Inbound transfers he only accepts from another FFL, price is $20 or 2% whichever is higher (he often transfers $10,000+ firearms).
    Inbound for repairs he accepts from owner, and returns to same (again shipping at actual cost)
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Tailgunner1954
    All I can relate to is my long time FFL.
    Inbound transfers he only accepts from another FFL, price is $20 or 2% whichever is higher (he often transfers $10,000+ firearms).

Thats nice, and good for him but not the kind of person we want in our FFL network.
  • Options
    chiefrchiefr Member Posts: 13,808 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by ChrisInTempe

Are there any States or localities that have laws requiring only FFL to FFL shipments of guns?

So far I've not run into such a scenario. But being in Arizona, my end of the deal is a pretty easy one, and generally low cost.

Your mileage on this should not vary, but as this is an imperfect world, it's likely to be plenty screwed over for somebody or another.

I too would like to know
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by chiefr
    quote:Originally posted by ChrisInTempe

I too would like to know

The answer is No.

Here is the most recent version of the ATF compilation of State and local laws.

http://www.atf.gov/files/publications/download/p/atf-p-5300-5-31st-editiion/2010-2011-atf-book-final.pdf

Feel free to read the entire thing. No one has been able to point out any jurisdiction so far requiring that.

But again, much like the weed laws, Federal law trumps state and local every single time.