In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Teachers. What do they make?

dheffleydheffley Member Posts: 25,000
edited May 2009 in General Discussion
I loved this one, and I can say, teachers made a big difference in my life!

What do teachers make?

The dinner guests were sitting around the table discussing life. One man, a CEO, decided to explain the problem with education.

He argued, 'What's a kid going to learn from someone who decided his best option in life was to become a teacher?'

He reminded the other dinner guests what they say about teachers: 'Those who can, do. Those who can't, teach.'

To emphasize his point he said to another guest; 'You're a teacher, Bonnie. Be honest. What do you make?'

Bonnie, who had a reputation for honesty and frankness replied, 'You want to know what I make?
(She paused for a second, then began...)

'Well, I make kids work harder than they ever thought they could.

I make a C+ feel like the Congressional Medal of Honor.

I make kids sit through 40 minutes of class time when their parents can't make them sit for 5 without an I Pod, Game Cube or movie rental.

You want to know what I make?' (She paused again and looked at each and every person at
the table.)

''I make kids wonder.

I make them question.

I make them apologize and mean it.

I make them have respect and take responsibility for their actions.

I teach them to write and then I make them write. Keyboarding isn't everything.

I make them read, read, read.

I make them show all their work in math. They use their God-given brain, not the man-made calculator.

I make my students from other countries learn everything they need to know in English while preserving their unique cultural identity.

I make my classroom a place where all my students feel safe.

I make my students stand, placing their hand over their heart to say the Pledge of Allegiance to the Flag, One Nation Under God, because we live in the United States of America.

I make them understand that if they use the gifts they were given, work hard, and follow their hearts, they can succeed in life.'

(Bonnie paused one last time, then continued.)

'Then, when people try to judge me by what I make, with me knowing money isn't everything, I can hold my head up high and pay no attention because they are ignorant... You want to know what I make?

I MAKE A DIFFERENCE. What do you make, Mr. CEO?'

His jaw dropped, he went silent.

Comments

• KSUmarksmanKSUmarksman Member Posts: 10,705 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    bravo bravo!

From personal experience I honestly believe that teaching must be a gift from God (or whatever divine being one believes in)...
    its not just about regurgitating information you have memorized, its about breaking stuff down to a level where students understand, its about knowing when a student does not understand, and it is about making the class interesting enough to prompt students to learn better.

I've met all kinda of professors in college and graduate school: ones who teach well and do great research, ones who teach well and do mediocre research, and ones who are great researchers but SUCK as teachers. Its like military officers...not all of the super-smart ones have the charisma and leadership to become a great general or admiral, and get stuck in some logistics assignment or something. Same with teaching, many of the "doers" just don't have the charisma and leadership skills to teach!

Before bashing teachers/professors people should pause and reflect on the good ones who have influenced their lives and helped them get where they are now. I can think of many I owe a lot to [^]
  • mateomasfeomateomasfeo Member Posts: 27,143
    edited November -1
    You left out -

They make our children into little drug addicted liberals....
  • AnonymouseAnonymouse Member Posts: 4,050
    edited November -1
    Massachusetts just released the math test scores for new elementary teachers, only 27% of them passed.
  • Beer BellyBeer Belly Member Posts: 183 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by P228
    Massachusetts just released the math test scores for new elementary teachers, only 27% of them passed.

I make bad grade on math tests.
  • select-fireselect-fire Member Posts: 69,446 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by dheffley
    I loved this one, and I can say, teachers made a big difference in my life!

What do teachers make?

The dinner guests were sitting around the table discussing life. One man, a CEO, decided to explain the problem with education.

He argued, 'What's a kid going to learn from someone who decided his best option in life was to become a teacher?'

He reminded the other dinner guests what they say about teachers: 'Those who can, do. Those who can't, teach.'

To emphasize his point he said to another guest; 'You're a teacher, Bonnie. Be honest. What do you make?'

Bonnie, who had a reputation for honesty and frankness replied, 'You want to know what I make?
    (She paused for a second, then began...)

'Well, I make kids work harder than they ever thought they could.

I make a C+ feel like the Congressional Medal of Honor.

I make kids sit through 40 minutes of class time when their parents can't make them sit for 5 without an I Pod, Game Cube or movie rental.

You want to know what I make?' (She paused again and looked at each and every person at
    the table.)

''I make kids wonder.

I make them question.

I make them apologize and mean it.

I make them have respect and take responsibility for their actions.

I teach them to write and then I make them write. Keyboarding isn't everything.

I make them read, read, read.

I make them show all their work in math. They use their God-given brain, not the man-made calculator.

I make my students from other countries learn everything they need to know in English while preserving their unique cultural identity.

I make my classroom a place where all my students feel safe.

I make my students stand, placing their hand over their heart to say the Pledge of Allegiance to the Flag, One Nation Under God, because we live in the United States of America.
    I make them understand that if they use the gifts they were given, work hard, and follow their hearts, they can succeed in life.'

(Bonnie paused one last time, then continued.)

'Then, when people try to judge me by what I make, with me knowing money isn't everything, I can hold my head up high and pay no attention because they are ignorant... You want to know what I make?

I MAKE A DIFFERENCE. What do you make, Mr. CEO?'

His jaw dropped, he went silent.

Bonnie doesn't teach in Public School..
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Beer Belly

I make bad grade on math tests.

If you can't pass the course test, you shouldn't be allowed to teach the course.
  • NOSLEEPNOSLEEP Member Posts: 4,526
    edited November -1
    Bonnie taught school Decades ago. Not Today.
  • edharoldedharold Member Posts: 465 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I wish it were true.
    She should have said "I make it through 3 hours a day of class time about half of the days of the year. I make it twenty years to retirement, then find another teaching position or similar to earn another pension. Then I either find a third pension or retire at age 50 to play golf or * about the government and demand greater benefits." [:o)]
  • spanielsellsspanielsells Member Posts: 12,498
    edited November -1
    Yeah. Okay. Sure.

Explain to me why it is nearly impossible to have a conversation with a youngster - and FORGET something resembling intelligent conversation.

I talk to kids who are just out of college and they can't create two semi-intelligent sentences to save their lives. I read, constantly, reports that are written on perhaps a second-grade reading level - not because that's the intelligence of the audience, but that's the ability of the author.

If it isn't IM/text-speak, it isn't within the capabilities of the writer.

What else do teachers make?

Attempts to indoctrinate children to believe in the same uber-liberal gobbly-gook, pass it off as Gospel, and punish students who might have a differing opinion.

A very decent salary for working only nine months a year along with a very decent retirement benefits shoved on the backs of the American taxpayer.

A schitload of complaining that they're not paid enough, and have no problem having a "sick-out" the LAST WEEK OF SCHOOL when kids are supposed to be taking their final exams. This is happening right now in a few cities in Colorado.
  • dheffleydheffley Member Posts: 25,000
    edited November -1
    Man, some of you folks had/have bad teachers, or you kids have or had bad teachers. While I admit that my grandkids go to private schools, and their teachers aren't hamstrung by many of the same rules public school teachers are, I don't see or have the problems with teacher here that some of you do, and I didn't have those issues when I attended public school as a child.

If it's that bad, we need to change the public school system!!!!
  • minitruck83minitruck83 Member Posts: 5,369
    edited November -1
    'Those who can, do. Those who can't, teach.'

Left out the last part!

Those who can do neither,

Administrate!

[:D]

Allen
  • savage170savage170 Member Posts: 37,504 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Man, some of you folks had/have bad teachers, or you kids have or had bad teachers. While I admit that my grandkids go to private schools, and their teachers aren't hamstrung by many of the same rules public school teachers are, I don't see or have the problems with teacher here that some of you do, and I didn't have those issues when I attended public school as a child.

It's that bad my son had to go to a public school his sophmore year
    because the private school that we had him in had to shut down he was so far ahead of the rest of the class he got into trouble all the time because he was bored stiff finally got him into another private school the following year he never got into any trouble again after he was being challenged again.
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by minitruck83

'Those who can, do. Those who can't, teach.'

Left out the last part!

Those who can do neither,

Administrate!

[:D]

Allen

that would explain the CEOs of the banks, investment firms, and auto industry [;)]
    edited November -1

maybe I'm the exception but my public school set me up for college to the point where I started with sophomore level chemistry courses (organic and analytical) and multivariable calculus instead of calc I. Also freshman physics was a breeze in college because of the high school classes [:D]
  • minitruck83minitruck83 Member Posts: 5,369
    edited November -1
    "that would explain the CEOs of the banks, investment firms, and auto industry"

Zackly!

"maybe I'm the exception but my public school set me up for college to the point where I started with sophomore level chemistry courses (organic and analytical) and multivariable calculus instead of calc I. Also freshman physics was a breeze in college because of the high school classes"

You may be an exception. [8D]

Glad to hear it. Or are you from an older school curriculum?
    Current school policy seems to be concerned with not embarrassing' those who aren't quite "quick enough" or uninterested in learning.

I know for a fact that WV public schools graduated my oldest son with a A+ in Chemistry,at a "supposedly" advanced college prep level,without ANY introduction to Organics. Causing him no small amount of frustration trying to get his mind wrapped around what the Instructor considered basic Chemistry.
    (from what little I understood, Organic Chemistry requires a different 'mindset' from what he had been taught in HS)

Allen
    edited November -1

You admit your grandkids go to private school, but then say you don't see the problems with teachers that others do? Well...no wonder, your grandkids are in private school. And if you have grandkids, you have been out of public school yourself for a long time. Many of the public schools are terrible, and you can't change them as they are controlled by the very powerful teachers' union. Just take D.C. public schools: for several years they have been experimenting with a very popular voucher system to allow people to get their kids out of the really bad schools and into the better ones. The teachers' union cried about it, and Obama has drastically cut funding for the program. When we had children, we moved out to western Loudoun county, just so our boys could go to good public schools, as we can't afford private schools and were not going to send them to D.C. schools. I spend hours in traffic every day back and forth to work, so we can live out here where the schools are decent.
    edited November -1

Now we can talk Pay... private schools don't pay much..
  • slingerslinger Member Posts: 1,402 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Well, according to Fox this a.m., they make 25% more than the national average. Tip of the iceberg, fiscally speaking. But Kal is talking about releasing 30,000 inmates they can't afford to house. Wonder if the teachers are proud of their products? At least the teachers have a good union.
  • dheffleydheffley Member Posts: 25,000
    edited November -1
    You admit your grandkids go to private school, but then say you don't see the problems with teachers that others do? Well...no wonder, your grandkids are in private school. And if you have grandkids, you have been out of public school yourself for a long time. Many of the public schools are terrible, and you can't change them as they are controlled by the very powerful teachers' union. Just take D.C. public schools: for several years they have been experimenting with a very popular voucher system to allow people to get their kids out of the really bad schools and into the better ones. The teachers' union cried about it, and Obama has drastically cut funding for the program. When we had children, we moved out to western Loudoun county, just so our boys could go to good public schools, as we can't afford private schools and were not going to send them to D.C. schools. I spend hours in traffic every day back and forth to work, so we can live out here where the schools are decent.

Which is exactly why I qualified my statement. I just didn't realize things had gotten that bad!!!!
    edited November -1
    My wife works 9 months a year in the public schools. Pays exceptional.
  • jeffb1911jeffb1911 Member Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    It is funny how things are now as opposed to when we were in school. In our time the teachers had discretion about how to handle things, now everything is zero tolerance. Guy defends a younger child from a bully? Before the bully got in trouble, now all so. Catch a boyscout with a camping pocket knife in his vehicle? Many years ago it was no big deal. Now due to zero tolerance he gets to goto jail and have a criminal record.

Stupid things happen when you let the liberal union run an entire industry.
  • Tom Lee ATom Lee A Member Posts: 264 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    My daughter graduated high school with a 3.8 GPA, scorred a 31 on her ACT, and received a Presidential Scholarship (100% full ride) to a major university. She chose Elementary Education as her major and graduated with a 3.9 GPA.

After she graduated, she did an internship with the BSU (Baptist Student Union) and a redicusly low salary...but she did it because she wanted to make a difference in other students lives. After 2 years, she then took a job at an elementary school as a tudor making minimum wages. The following year she had choice of teaching at several schools---one being the elite school in town, and was the school she attended, and had the same principal as whwn she went there. She chose the poorest district had because felt she could make the biggest difference there.

I asked her what her salary was and she didn't know---said it didn't make a difference to her. She taught there for 3 years before leaving to raise a family. She never talked about her salary, only about her kids. I'm as proud of her for the decisions she made and not for going after a job making big bucks.
  • NOSLEEPNOSLEEP Member Posts: 4,526
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Tom Lee A
    My daughter graduated high school with a 3.8 GPA, scorred a 31 on her ACT, and received a Presidential Scholarship (100% full ride) to a major university. She chose Elementary Education as her major and graduated with a 3.9 GPA.

After she graduated, she did an internship with the BSU (Baptist Student Union) and a redicusly low salary...but she did it because she wanted to make a difference in other students lives. After 2 years, she then took a job at an elementary school as a tudor making minimum wages. The following year she had choice of teaching at several schools---one being the elite school in town, and was the school she attended, and had the same principal as whwn she went there. She chose the poorest district had because felt she could make the biggest difference there.

I asked her what her salary was and she didn't know---said it didn't make a difference to her. She taught there for 3 years before leaving to raise a family. She never talked about her salary, only about her kids. I'm as proud of her for the decisions she made and not for going after a job making big bucks.

Good teachers are the exception not the rule. Your daughter may well belong in that exceptional category.
  • mark christianmark christian Member Posts: 24,453 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I've never heard of anyone becoming a teacher for the money, but their unions all maintain that teachers are underpaid. I still remember sitting in English class reading Small Arms of The World while Mr. "F" (I still remember his name) sat at his desk just winding out the clock until he retired with his pension. He played a game about teaching and we played right along with him.
  • PanzerSlayer2PanzerSlayer2 Member Posts: 1,798 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    A response like that from a student would have failed for not answering the original question.
  • Saxon PigSaxon Pig Member Posts: 754 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I can tell you that after many years of college in addition to a full time teaching class load I work two "overload" night classes each semester plus four summer classes to earn just about half of what my brother in law makes with his high school diploma selling dog food.

I became an educator because I enjoy it and because it's what I do best, not because I planned on making a lot of money...

And certainly NOT because I expected people to respect my profession or appreciate my efforts since obviously they do not.

But every time I run into a former student years later and he or she tells me how much he or she got out of my class and how much impact I had on his or her life I feel like I have the best job in the world.
  • goldslammergoldslammer Member Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    This teacher wasn't in it for the money, she was in it for the sex!

pamela_rogers_sex_with_13yearold_boy_4717_n.jpg
  • goldslammergoldslammer Member Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Another fine example of todays teachers.

photo_servlet.jpg

37626999.jpg

lgteacher.jpg
  • D1D1 Member Posts: 11,412
    edited November -1
    I just want to know where these teachers were when I was in school.
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Tom Lee A

Wife done basically the same thing but continued her education. Beginning teachers do not make that much. Their choice. Their choice also to go up the pay scale with degrees. Many teachers choose not to do no more than they have to. This also reflects in their classroom. Teaching also extends farther than in the classroom. Grading papers at home, lesson plans, a teacher puts in more than 8 hours a day working. Nonetheless my wife enjoys its. She teaches in a low income area. Pay? she isn't complaining. She is paid very well for 9 months work a year teaching 13-15 children.
  • Old hickoryOld hickory Member Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    My last year of teaching I made $106,000 and I was worth it. That was after 33 years and a Masters Degree with 30 additional grad hours. My wife makes $65,000 as an 8th grade English/Science teacher and she'sa better teacher than I was. Beginning pay isn't much and most of the critics of teachers wouldn't last a semester.
  • jon ojon o Member Posts: 1,755 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    There are good schools and poor schools all over America. Those that are successful have the support of the parents. Those that are poor don't have parental support.
  • footlongfootlong Member Posts: 8,009
    edited November -1
    I agree jon. The school is only. as good as the community that supports it. One reason private schools seem to do better is because of the support of the parents.
  • spanielsellsspanielsells Member Posts: 12,498
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by mark christian
    I've never heard of anyone becoming a teacher for the money, but their unions all maintain that teachers are underpaid. I still remember sitting in English class reading Small Arms of The World while Mr. "F" (I still remember his name) sat at his desk just winding out the clock until he retired with his pension. He played a game about teaching and we played right along with him.
    Name me a single union that claims its members are anything but underpaid.
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by minitruck83

You may be an exception. [8D]

Glad to hear it. Or are you from an older school curriculum?
    Current school policy seems to be concerned with not embarrassing' those who aren't quite "quick enough" or uninterested in learning.

I know for a fact that WV public schools graduated my oldest son with a A+ in Chemistry,at a "supposedly" advanced college prep level,without ANY introduction to Organics. Causing him no small amount of frustration trying to get his mind wrapped around what the Instructor considered basic Chemistry.
    (from what little I understood, Organic Chemistry requires a different 'mindset' from what he had been taught in HS)

Allen

well I graduated High School in '02, my brother graduated the same HS in '07 and the quality actually got a bit better with more AP courses and stuff.

I think Manhattan HS is better than most because of Kansas State and Fort Riley: between the faculty and staff of KSU and the Army officers, the school district has a lot of support from the community and the community demands nothing less than excellence.

Personally I think that organic chem is like learning a foreign language. you have the chemical nomenclature: that's kinda like your vocabulary. Then you have to study reaction types and apply then to any chemical of a given class...that to me is kinda like grammar and syntax.
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Old hickory
    My last year of teaching I made $106,000 and I was worth it. That was after 33 years and a Masters Degree with 30 additional grad hours. My wife makes $65,000 as an 8th grade English/Science teacher and she'sa better teacher than I was. Beginning pay isn't much and most of the critics of teachers wouldn't last a semester.

Not bad eh? Wife teaches elementary school. She loves literature and has had her students in the past publish their works. She constantly reminds me of my english. I always tell her... Man, I can barely speak english let alone learn spanish, german, french.....[:D][:D][:D]
  • Saxon PigSaxon Pig Member Posts: 754 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    BTW- The public school teachers in this state earn more than do the instructors at the 2-year colleges despite the latter needing more education to be hired.
  • calrugerfancalrugerfan Member Posts: 18,209
    edited November -1
    My wife is a teacher. First off, Gift from God? Not sure. Most days, I think "Punishment from Hell" but that's just me. Second, unfortunately, it is not up to the TEACHERS to decide what they teach. The liberal crap comes from the state. My wife tries very hard to teach good morals and beliefs without overstepping state guidelines. While she can't require them to do the pledge, she has them do something patriotic in the morning (of the student's choice, different student each day) which sometimes includes the pledge.

Ask yourself this: would YOU be willing to do it?

All I know is that, if we are lucky enough to have kids, they will be HOME SCHOOLED.
  • hk-91hk-91 Member Posts: 10,050
    edited November -1
    I cant belive teachers make what little they do in pay.
  • calrugerfancalrugerfan Member Posts: 18,209
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by hk-91
    I cant belive teachers make what little they do in pay.

I disagree. I mean, they do have to put up with a lot of crap, but they are actually paid better than you think. My wife as a first year teacher makes almost $40K. She gets a week off at Thanksgiving, 2 weeks off at Christmas, another week off at Easter, plus she gets the summer off. That's not bad at all.