In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Teachers. What do they make?

2»

Comments

• hk-91hk-91 Member Posts: 10,050
    edited November -1
    Three on my sons friends moms are teachers and they make 22 to 26 thousand a year. would you consider this good pay.
  • calrugerfancalrugerfan Member Posts: 18,209
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by hk-91
    Three on my sons friends moms are teachers and they make 22 to 26 thousand a year. would you consider this good pay.

What state are they in? The starting pay all around here is a lot higher than that. School go by a matrix.

Years with the district moves you down the scale with small increases.
    # of college credits moves you to the right on the scale with significant pay increases.
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by callcameron

What state are they in? The starting pay all around here is a lot higher than that. School go by a matrix.

# of college credits moves you to the right on the scale with significant pay increases.

I live in North Dakota.
  • AnonymouseAnonymouse Member Posts: 4,050
    edited November -1

You must live in a really poor area. Several of my PA high school friends became teachers in our high school and they started at more than that over 25 years ago. Today they all make over 70K a year, in an area where you can still buy a house for 100K. Here in Loudoun County Virginia, a new teacher starts at over 40K, that is almost what we start our new grad electrical engineers at:

Loudoun County Public Schools Teaching Salaries

Degree Level Step 1 Salary Step 8 Salary Step 16 Salary
    Bachelor's Degree $40,986 $49,371 $64,509
    Master's Degree $46,109 $54,494 $69,632
    Doctorate Degree $51,233 $59,618 $74,756
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by callcameron

I live in North Dakota.

How does that pay stack up to the median home price and to the price of their education. Like I said, the pay scales here are pretty good. Some teachers that have been working for a long time at the same school district are making close to $80K per year with a really nice retirement package.
    edited November -1
    I dont know how it stacks up. I'm a robot operator and welder and i makr around 40k a year. and that is considered good pay around here.
  • select-fireselect-fire Member Posts: 69,446 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by P228

You must live in a really poor area. Several of my PA high school friends became teachers in our high school and they started at more than that over 25 years ago. Today they all make over 70K a year, in an area where you can still buy a house for 100K. Here in Loudoun County Virginia, a new teacher starts at over 40K, that is almost what we start our new grad electrical engineers at:

Not bad for 180 day contract eh? Then add yrs. of experience to that payscale along with National Board Certification ( if your district and state pays extra for it )
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by select-fire
    quote:Originally posted by P228

Not bad for 180 day contract eh? Then add yrs. of experience to that payscale along with National Board Certification ( if your district and state pays extra for it )

Thanks for the info. That's what I was trying to get at.
    edited November -1
    I just looked up there pay online here in ND and starting pay is around 26,000 toping out at around 40,000
  • select-fireselect-fire Member Posts: 69,446 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    National boards cert. is good for 10 yr. Wife just sent hers in for renewal. She was only one to obtain hers in the county she came from. I think 2 teachers have them in her school now. State and county district pays an extra $15K for the teachers obtaining National Board Certification.

http://www.nbpts.org/
  • footlongfootlong Member Posts: 8,009
    edited November -1
    They used to make my "@$$" red[}:)]

NEVER could figure out WHY[:0]