In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

What happened to all the SHTF topics???

dreherdreher Member Posts: 8,787 ✭✭✭✭
edited October 2013 in General Discussion
It was a while back that there were multiple SHTF topics every day. What happened?? I haven't seen a SHTF topic in ages. Not one reference to a bug-out-bag. No survivalist topics. What happened, did they all bug out and are in hiding??[:D]

Comments

• Options
    MaxOHMSMaxOHMS Member Posts: 14,715
    edited November -1
    Everyone is busy cleaning their fan.
  • Options
    WarbirdsWarbirds Member Posts: 16,839 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    No wifi in their bunkers.
  • Options
    montanajoemontanajoe Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 58,034 ******
    edited November -1
    ....john shaved his mustache,,,
  • Options
    bigoutsidebigoutside Member Posts: 19,443
    edited November -1
    The chair is against the wall.
  • Options
    NOAHNOAH Member Posts: 9,690
    edited November -1
    not over until the fat lady sings[:0][:D][:D][:D]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    not over until the fat lady sings[:0][:D][:D][:D]
  • Options
    JnRockwallJnRockwall Member Posts: 16,350 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    no one was ready for ammo to dry up so quick. SHTF has been delayed until everyone gets caught up.
  • Options
    woodhogwoodhog Member Posts: 13,115 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I think I have a headache...
  • Options
    austin20austin20 Member Posts: 34,982 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The rooster is in the window.
  • Options
    the middlethe middle Member Posts: 3,089
    edited November -1
    It hit the fan, but nobody noticed.
  • Options
    fishkiller41fishkiller41 Member Posts: 50,608
    edited November -1
    The Spackle got put on the ceiling... [;)][;)]
  • Options
    Tech141Tech141 Member Posts: 3,787 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Didn't everyone who posted a SHTF topic get the bejeesus knocked out of them from all those who disagreed?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    The ones I always got a kick out of were the posters who would talk about the 50 mags they had for their AR and the 20 mags for their handgun of choice and their 10,000+ rounds of ammo. By God I'm ready!!

My thoughts on mags and ammo?? Early on in a SHTF scenario, pop a round in the air and the looter types will turn around and SPRINT out of the area. Later, when the ones that survive the first few days/weeks get together and are carefully looking for food or what ever, come toward your place, how many rounds/mags do you need?? One thing nobody thinks about, to place an aimed shot, you must expose yourself to return fire. If you ignore "spray and pray", I figure 2 30 round mags, 3 if you stretch your imagination, for the AR or Mini-14, (I got both)and in reality, 1 mag for ye olde handgun.

Why you ask?? Remember, to shoot, you must expose yourself to return fire. Just how many times can you swing out your AR, acquire your target and squeeze before someone takes you out??

So OK, they are coming so fast and furious you don't have time to slap a new mag in the AR so you go for your handgun. Is there anyone here who thinks you will ever get to the second mag??
  • Options
    LaidbackDanLaidbackDan Member Posts: 13,143 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I still see the same members posting on a at least weekly basis of international banking, one World order conspiracies.
  • Options
    JunkballerJunkballer Member Posts: 9,183 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    How about when SHT Screen, like when Obama was on TV today [:0] [:D] [:(!]

"Never do wrong to make a friend----or to keep one".....Robert E. Lee

• Options
    Tech141Tech141 Member Posts: 3,787 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Junkballer
    How about when SHT Screen, like when Obama was on TV today [:0] [:D] [:(!]

Yeah.... That was messy.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by dreher
    The ones I always got a kick out of were the posters who would talk about the 50 mags they had for their AR and the 20 mags for their handgun of choice and their 10,000+ rounds of ammo. By God I'm ready!!

My thoughts on mags and ammo?? Early on in a SHTF scenario, pop a round in the air and the looter types will turn around and SPRINT out of the area. Later, when the ones that survive the first few days/weeks get together and are carefully looking for food or what ever, come toward your place, how many rounds/mags do you need?? One thing nobody thinks about, to place an aimed shot, you must expose yourself to return fire. If you ignore "spray and pray", I figure 2 30 round mags, 3 if you stretch your imagination, for the AR or Mini-14, (I got both)and in reality, 1 mag for ye olde handgun.

Why you ask?? Remember, to shoot, you must expose yourself to return fire. Just how many times can you swing out your AR, acquire your target and squeeze before someone takes you out??

So OK, they are coming so fast and furious you don't have time to slap a new mag in the AR so you go for your handgun. Is there anyone here who thinks you will ever get to the second mag??

You could shoot through the walls. Most people would not expect that. I am thinking a roving gang of malnurished thugs would be the perfect target for such an ambush.
  • Options
    MVPMVP Member Posts: 25,074
    edited November -1
    quote:
    What happened to all the SHTF topics???

Y2K came and went
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Obama is proof that P.T. Barnum was right!! You will never go broke under estimating the intelligence of the American public![V]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I wonder how many people consider the end of the world as a SHTF event? I am thinking of something like we are in now! Political enviroment for crap. Govt shut down, freeloaders start looting and rioting. Social media capable of igniting a mixed fuel of angst and hatred over the most minute thing.

Dangerous times boys. Throw in a ammo shortage and the mix is explosive.
  • Options
    DieHard4DieHard4 Member Posts: 2,373 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'm more concerned with my inability to cook and get clean water if the power and water are shut off at this point. Changing the focus from guns and ammo cause I sure can't afford those anymore.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by JnRockwall
    I wonder how many people consider the end of the world as a SHTF event? I am thinking of something like we are in now! Political enviroment for crap. Govt shut down, freeloaders start looting and rioting. Social media capable of igniting a mixed fuel of angst and hatred over the most minute thing.

what ammo shortage[;)][:)][:D]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by JnRockwall

what ammo shortage[;)][:)][:D]
  • Options
    armilitearmilite Member Posts: 35,483 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Simple answer it's football season.[;)]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    This lack of SHTF topics started well before football season.
  • Options
    Removed at users request.Removed at users request. Member Posts: 3,027
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by LaidbackDan
    I still see the same members posting on a at least weekly basis of international banking, one World order conspiracies.

Is it still a conspiracy when those in power acknowledge it openly?
  • Options
    armilitearmilite Member Posts: 35,483 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    This lack of SHTF topics started well before football season.

Including training camp. [;)]
  • Options
    ChrisInTempeChrisInTempe Member Posts: 15,562
    edited November -1
    My reason for owning numerous magazines and amassing lots of ammo is because I am compulsive about buying, storing up for a rainy day. It is I suspect part of that "Hoarder Gene" business.

Luckily I am also darned cheap in spending on myself. Thus one deep seated compulsion is moderated by the other and only a closet is impassible with arms and ammo and magazines. Rather than the entire home!
  • Options
    serfserf Member Posts: 9,217 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Don't worry with the government shutting down and the Debt limit looming on Oct 17 the right wing is handing Obama Emergency powers soon and then all you straight laced sheeple will now know The SHTF![;)]

All the law enforcement types then can be Beefsteaks like in Nazi Germany in 1930's but this time around it's an equal opportunity crack down for Law and order and The NWO.

Some are just too blind to for see the possibilities like The UN small arms treaty that just was sign by John Kerry.

serf

http://america.aljazeera.com/articles/2013/9/24/sec-kerry-signs-armstreatydrawingcriticismfromgunadvocates.html

Secretary of State John Kerry signed the U.N. Arms Trade Treaty Wednesday, joining 89 other countries in support of an international solution to the proliferation of guns and other deadly weapons, but flying in the face of many U.S. senators and gun rights groups such as the National Rifle Association.

Kerry's signature will likely be symbolic. Yeah sure that's what they tell us all the time when they sign new laws!Like The Patriot Act I&II that enacted the police state here.
  • Options
    serfserf Member Posts: 9,217 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by LaidbackDan

Gosh At least there still on line on the internet and still have the first amendment but if the second amendment gets whittled down look for the first amendment to go too!

serf

The Senate is already pushing for government approved Journalism already !

http://www.breitbart.com/Big-Journalism/2013/09/12/Senate-panel-Oks-measure-defining-a-journalist

A Senate panel on Thursday approved a measure defining a journalist, which had been an obstacle to broader media shield legislation designed to protect reporters and the news media from having to reveal their sources.
  • Options
    gearheaddadgearheaddad Member Posts: 15,096 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    With football season starting a few weeks ago, and now the Hockey season is starting I figured I needed to do something.
    I got rid of the fan. Now, the s*** has nothing to hit!
  • Options
    He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 50,958 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I am trying really hard to care. Not having any success.
  • Options
    Don McManusDon McManus Member Posts: 23,489 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    It was a while back that there were multiple SHTF topics every day. What happened?? I haven't seen a SHTF topic in ages. Not one reference to a bug-out-bag. No survivalist topics. What happened, did they all bug out and are in hiding??[:D]

It was the Rapture.

Hope no one is disappointed..[:)]
    Freedom and a submissive populace cannot co-exist.

Brad Steele
  • Options
    SCOUT5SCOUT5 Member Posts: 16,182 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    It already happened, sorry you missed it.
  • Options
    Sooeyman2035Sooeyman2035 Member Posts: 3,226
    edited November -1
    Corn monkeys have been declared extinct by the now defunct government!
  • Options
    drobsdrobs Member Posts: 22,533 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1

My philosophy has always been buy it cheap stack deep. Works for ammo, works for mags, works for reloading components, food, etc. etc.

GOUGERS are not an issue to you when you have bulk __________ set aside. If you want, you can sell some, or hold on to it.

Seems pretty simple.

Regarding SHTF fantasy gun fights - better to have an not need than need and not have.

I can't predict the future but I can be prepared.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I truly believe in being prepared. I got plenty of mags and ammo but I am realistic enough to know that if 15 armed men attack my house I'll get a few of them. Maybe more than a few but I realize I will be one of the dead ones. Just one of them hard facts of life.[:D]
  • Options
    fideaufideau Member Posts: 11,893 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    There you stand all spic and span.
    Where were you when the SHTF?[8D]
  • Options
    shilowarshilowar Member Posts: 38,815 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by austin20

does that mean go or no go? Cuz I fell asleep during that portion of the meeting and I'm really not sure what to do???
  • Options
    bigoutsidebigoutside Member Posts: 19,443
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by shilowar
    quote:Originally posted by austin20

does that mean go or no go? Cuz I fell asleep during that portion of the meeting and I'm really not sure what to do???

Shelter in place.

Do you need me to email you the list again????