In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Atlanta SWAT team screw up once again!

Smitty500magSmitty500mag Member Posts: 13,603 ✭✭✭✭
edited June 2014 in General Discussion

Comments

• Options
    MobuckMobuck Member Posts: 13,808 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    "TO PROTECT AND SERVE"
    AND BLOW UP BABIES, SHOOT DOGS, and KILL OLD MEN WITH CANES
    but they got to go home at the end of their shift
  • Options
    p3skykingp3skyking Member Posts: 25,750
    edited November -1
    That is pretty disgusting.
    If this was a commerical enterprise, the company would fire them all for incompetence.
    Why are the JBT's seldom held accountable?
  • Options
    TempestTempest Member Posts: 1,273 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I recently got to shoot with a local SWAT team. My take away was, they were the most cocky bunch I've ever been around.
  • Options
    WarbirdsWarbirds Member Posts: 16,844 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Lighten up guys- The police said they will be more careful next time!
  • Options
    nunnnunn Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 36,018 ******
    edited November -1
    1. The child should not have been in a drug house.

2. There is VERY RARELY a need for the police to use SWAT teams and dynamic (spelled V-I-O-L-E-N-T) entry methods for service of warrants. But the testosterone boys with all their fancy toys just have to go play. What happened to simply surrounding the house and then either knocking on the door or asking occupants to come out?

This need not have happened, BUT, the child should not have been in a drug house.
  • Options
    shilowarshilowar Member Posts: 38,815 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by nunn

2. There is VERY RARELY a need for the police to use SWAT teams and dynamic (spelled V-I-O-L-E-N-T) entry methods for service of warrants. But the testosterone boys with all their fancy toys just have to go play. What happened to simply surrounding the house and then either knocking on the door or asking occupants to come out?

This need not have happened, BUT, the child should not have been in a drug house.

Agreed, the use of dynamic entries should be extremely limited. I hope we see a trend of moving away from dynamic entries.
  • Options
    kimikimi Member Posts: 44,723 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1

+1
    What's next?
  • Options
    CoolhandLukeCoolhandLuke Member Posts: 7,825 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    At the range SWAT have their separate section, we watch them from our side and can not help to feel total disdain for the effing bums their whole demeanor is that of total cowards, amazing they do not realize their general attitude just makes them look like cowards.
    We have to fight so we can run away.
    Capt. Jack Sparrow.
  • Options
    kimikimi Member Posts: 44,723 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The bottom line is that there are simply too many people that are not suited to be in law enforcement. The idea that military personnel, with or without like police and/or combat experience, will automatically make a good officer if they can pass what must be inadequate testing is a huge part of the problem. However, the bigger issue here is with local, state, and federal officials including politicians who have a progressive, anti-Constitutional bent. Which is to say that we are up the creek with the paddle.
    What's next?
  • Options
    ChrisInTempeChrisInTempe Member Posts: 15,562
    edited November -1
    Where's the accountability? Now I'm reading the bad guy didn't even live there. He was arrested later at another house elsewhere.

The local law calls this a terrible accident. A terrible accident is when a ladder rung breaks underfoot and you fall down. A terrible accident is when you slip on ice and break your leg.

Tossing a flash bang grenade into a baby's portable crib where he sleeps in his aunt's house, because his family is out of their home during repairs after a fire, that's not an accident.

That's CRIMINAL FRICK'N NEGLIGENCE!

So now the baby is given a 50/50 chance of surviving and the family is left to beg for help to pay the medical bills. Here is their webpage. I think the $100,000 they are trying to raise won't begin to cover this child's first year ahead.

If he survives ...

GoFundMe begging site:
    http://www.gofundme.com/9mih84

Says they charge 5%, so 95% of funds go to whatever cause. No donations means no fees:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GoFundMe

So who's in?
    BabyBou_zps02cb011e.png
  • Options
    spasmcreekspasmcreek Member Posts: 37,724 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    should be criminal charges filed on the swatters and a $100 million lawsuit...this stupid arrogant elite Rambo attitude has to be squelched
  • Options
    WulfmannWulfmann Member Posts: 4,894 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Well, at least the police decided not to charge the 19 month old as an adult.
    What is really disturbing id they can do this without penalty and expect the family to pay the medical bills from their negligence.

These no knocks are an offense to a civilized society. The attitude nothing supersedes the welfare of police officers no matter the danger to others is absurd.
    Anyone remember when the safety of the public mattered?

Another sad story that could not happen if officials held a tighter lease on these dogs.
    If they were penalized severely this would stop but they seem to be immune and sure act like it.

Wulfmann
    3YUCmbB.jpg
    "Fools learn from their own mistakes. I learn from the mistakes of others"
    Otto von Bismarck
  • Options
    capguncapgun Member Posts: 1,848
    edited November -1
    Unfortunately, incidents like this turn public support against law enforcement officers. I have spent my whole adult life performing my job in a manner that gains the support of my community. Then some cop throws a grenade into a baby crib at 3 in the morning. Poor surveillance, the cops did not even know another family had moved into the residence, and that the person they wanted was not there. Later reports indicate the wanted person was arrested later at another residence, so they would have had no trouble finding him without all the theatrics.
  • Options
    1911a1-fan1911a1-fan Member Posts: 51,193 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by ChrisInTempe
    Where's the accountability? Now I'm reading the bad guy didn't even live there. He was arrested later at another house elsewhere.

The local law calls this a terrible accident. A terrible accident is when a ladder rung breaks underfoot and you fall down. A terrible accident is when you slip on ice and break your leg.

Tossing a flash bang grenade into a baby's portable crib where he sleeps in his aunt's house, because his family is out of their home during repairs after a fire, that's not an accident.

That's CRIMINAL FRICK'N NEGLIGENCE!

So now the baby is given a 50/50 chance of surviving and the family is left to beg for help to pay the medical bills. Here is their webpage. I think the $100,000 they are trying to raise won't begin to cover this child's first year ahead.

If he survives ...

GoFundMe begging site:

Says they charge 5%, so 95% of funds go to whatever cause. No donations means no fees:

So who's in?
    BabyBou_zps02cb011e.png

didn't you read already, its the babies fault for being there

looks like a viable target to me

article-2643344-1E5203DB00000578-24_634x1099.jpg
  • Options
    EVILDR235EVILDR235 Member Posts: 4,398 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    About 8 years ago the local swat team used a old house for training the team.After the team left,a little girl found a concussion grenade swat left behind.She was playing with it and blew off her hand.Swat said it was not their fault the little girl was trespassing.When swat was told the officer that left it was in trouble big time,swat said if the officer was held accountable they would all walk off the job.I never heard anymore about it.

XXXXXX
  • Options
    footlongfootlong Member Posts: 8,009
    edited November -1
    l used to shoot at a benchrest meet dedicated to factory varmint rifles once a month in Dublin Ga...0ver the years various police ''marksmen/swatt/snipers'' would drop by to show their stuff...Lets say this...They needed a little more practice...[:0]

Now occasionally a few guys would drop by from the lnfantry''Sniper'' School over at Fort Benning... Now these boys ''They could SHOOT''...[^]
  • Options
    mateomasfeomateomasfeo Member Posts: 27,143
    edited November -1
    Cops are soldiers these days.

Norman Rockwell is dead....
  • Options
    footlongfootlong Member Posts: 8,009
    edited November -1
    lf so......Then SOMEBODY needs to teach them to shoot
  • Options
    jhimcojhimco Member Posts: 2,075 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Typical. They had zero surveillance on the house? Did not see a child brought in? I think they wanted to kill a kid. Easy target for cops.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by jhimco
    Typical. They had zero surveillance on the house? Did not see a child brought in? I think they wanted to kill a kid. Easy target for cops.

"The child should not have been in a drug house", like the child or any child have a choice of where they are or who their parents are.
    Sorry but Kind of cold opinion.
    Capt. Jack Sparrow.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Not cold at all. The child should not have been there. I know it happens. It happens a lot. My wife is a CASA volunteer. EVERY family the local CASA are dealing with have had their children removed from them because the parents were using drugs, usually meth.

Responsible parents don't bed down a child in a dope house. Responsible parents don't let dope and dopers into their homes. When parents behave irresponsibly, CPS steps in, and the CASA is involved. Heart breaking, some of these cases are.
  • Options
    Don McManusDon McManus Member Posts: 23,496 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1

The child did not choose to live in a drug house. The militarized police chose to throw a stun grenade into the crib.

Oh well, I guess a war on drugs has collateral damage. Nothing to see here, move along.
    Freedom and a submissive populace cannot co-exist.

Brad Steele
  • Options
    edited November -1
    You're right. The child had no choice. Children very often are born to crappy parents. When these situations come to the attention of those in authority, the children are usually removed and put in foster care. Guess who pays for that?

Anyone dumb enough to believe that the police targeted a crib with the flash-bang, well I want to talk to you about this nifty bridge I have for sale. I agree it was a screw-up, but no one deliberately injured a baby.
  • Options
    4627046270 Member Posts: 12,627
    edited November -1
    I've got a big problem with no knock warrants, why do they have to ue such methods? Wait till they leave catch them out of the house. If someone enters a home at night, are you suppose to wait till someone yells police, I wonder if the bad guys have thought about yelling police to get the drip n the Moe owner?
  • Options
    wifetrainedwifetrained Member Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You're right. The child had no choice. Children very often are born to crappy parents. When these situations come to the attention of those in authority, the children are usually removed and put in foster care. Guess who pays for that?

Anyone dumb enough to believe that the police targeted a crib with the flash-bang, well I want to talk to you about this nifty bridge I have for sale. I agree it was a screw-up, but no one deliberately injured a baby.

There may have been no intent to harm a child but there was intent to make a splashy dynamic entry which seems to happen all to often anymore and the intel doesn't seem to have been up to snuff. I find the fact that so many police departments across the country are militarized to be disturbing. And this militarization seems to border on the absurd at times. The Spokane PD paraded an MRAP vehicle some time ago and I can't help but wonder....WHY??? And all this militarization without proper training and the appropriate amount of discipline is going to lead to one screw up after another.
  • Options
    COLTCOLT Member Posts: 12,637 ******
    edited November -1
    Agreed, the child should not have been there period...NO, not the childs fault BUT it IS 100% the fault of the parents, term used very loosely.

Why isnt any of the rightous blame directed where it belongs, at the PARENTS??

If the scum bag people had not had the baby on premise, this never would have happened, this human trash should not even be allowed to be within 500 ft of a child.

Some of these dope head filth intentionally keep children around in the belief that it helps prevent a raid, nice...not a bit different than the rag-head terroist using innocents in the same manner...yet the screeches of rightous anger can be heard for miles when that happens, can we say, hypocritical.

...Too easy to blame the whipping post cops that are always under the microscope and all to often put in a loose loose situation no matter the outcome, I see...[;)]
  • Options
    p3skykingp3skyking Member Posts: 25,750
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by COLT
    Agreed, the child should not have been there period...NO, not the childs fault BUT it IS 100% the fault of the parents, term used very loosely.

If the scum bag people had not had the baby on premise, this never would have happened, this human trash should not even be allowed to be within 500 ft of a child.

Some of these dope head filth intentionally keep children around in the belief that it helps prevent a raid, nice...not a bit different than the rag-head terroist using innocents in the same manner...yet the screeches of rightous anger can be heard for miles when that happens, can we say, hypocritical.

...Too easy to blame the whipping post cops that are always under the microscope and all to often put in a loose loose situation no matter the outcome, I see...[;)]

The reason the cops are blamed instead of the parents is thugs and dopers don't have a playbook of SOP and the cops are supposed to. They can spin it however they want, but they play it like Keystone Kops, shift blame, and expect everyone to accept incompetence as collateral damage. Had a 40S&W slug drilled the kids head instead of a fragging, the press release would have been the same.
  • Options
    edited November -1

The reason the parents are blameless is in the details of the story.

It was the home of the baby's mother's sister-in-law. The family's home in Wisconsin had been damaged in a fire. They were staying with relatives in Georgia for a while. They were planning to drive back home to Wisconsin that very morning. Police said that the family knew absolutely nothing about, and had no involvement in any drug activity.

It remains unclear in news stories if the raided house was a drug house or not. Drugs were bought there by an informant, from a suspect who may or may not have lived there. That suspect was not found there during the raid, he was arrested later in another residence.

Was the suspect making use of the house of relatives or friends, his actions unknown to them? Or were those relatives or friends involved in his dealings?

We do not know the answer to those questions. Whether or not it was really a "drug house" depends on the rest of that story.

As for the SWAT team and the no-knock warrant, there are too many SWAT teams and too many examples of no-knocks going very badly. The reasons are too often similar, cops had bad info, not enough info, not recent enough info. Or were simply at the wrong address.
  • Options
    ForkliftkingForkliftking Member Posts: 4,907 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Identifying your target before deploying your weapon comes to mind. I guess they don't teach this to cops these days.
  • Options
    SCOUT5SCOUT5 Member Posts: 16,182 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1

If you throw a grenade in a playpen it is your fault the grenade is in the play pen. The fact that there is a playpen present should alert you that there may well be a child present. IF you throw a grenade without looking where you are throwing it, it is your fault if it lands in a playpen. If the cops raid a house with a child in it it is their responsibility to know there is a child in it.

If you are in a war zone you can expect acts of war, like tossed grenades. If you are not in a war zone you should not be expected to be ready for war acts, like grenade tossing. Yes I know it was a flashbang grenade. The last I knew those are still lethal if they go off close enough to a person.

If you drive a car into a 15 year old walking home after curfew, is it the kids fault because he was out after curfew?

Enough with excuses! The cops are at fault, not the parents, not the child, not anyone else. The cops made a decision to raid the house, the cops made the decision to use the grenade, the cops threw the grenade in with the child.
  • Options
    guns-n-painthorsesguns-n-painthorses Member Posts: 6,463 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Well I'm sure the child would have woke up just fine the following morning had the cops not bombed his crib, so I find it kind of hard to blame the parents in this case.

This is the America we deserve.
  • Options
    riflemikeriflemike Member Posts: 10,599
    edited November -1
    SERIOUSLY...... the child should not have been there....just when you think you have heard it all
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by riflemike
    SERIOUSLY...... the child should not have been there....just when you think you have heard it all

SERIOUSLY...... why do the facts of the case that both sides agree to mean absolutely nothing to some people?

A family with four young kids, one a baby, travel over a thousand miles to visit their in-laws and somehow it's their fault they didn't know there was going to be a drug raid at their destination?

Seriously?
  • Options
    SGSG Member Posts: 7,548
    edited November -1
    Not cold at all. The child should not have been there. I know it happens. It happens a lot. My wife is a CASA volunteer. EVERY family the local CASA are dealing with have had their children removed from them because the parents were using drugs, usually meth.

Responsible parents don't bed down a child in a dope house. Responsible parents don't let dope and dopers into their homes. When parents behave irresponsibly, CPS steps in, and the CASA is involved. Heart breaking, some of these cases are.

Ummm,I think you have it backwards, sir. The police should not have been there,especially since the suspect was not. How pathetic.
  • Options
    RocklobsterRocklobster Member Posts: 7,060
    edited November -1
    The baby should not have been in a drug house? That was certainly a harsh penalty for being in the wrong place at the wrong time. It's tantamount to saying "That million or so babies should not have been in their mothers' wombs last year" isn't it?

The government's "War on Drugs" boondoggle is a poor excuse for burning a child's face off.

The police should not have tossed a grenade into a room where they only had a "suspicion" of possible criminal activity.

This incident brings to mind a recent event in Atlanta where the "War on Drugs" stormtroopers burst into a house because of a "suspicion of criminal activity" and killed a 93-year-old woman, then tried to bribe an informant to testify that he'd seen drugs being brought to and from the house.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Capt. Jack Sparrow.
  • Options
    riflemikeriflemike Member Posts: 10,599
    edited November -1
    still dont understand why they just dont get the some of these bad guys when they are out on the street ,,,..not as much fun i guess...in this case and many, many others...i mean they do have to go out occasionally...this CRAZY idea/common sense logic of mine has been shot down on here before but i forget the reasons they cant do that
  • Options
    retroxler58retroxler58 Member Posts: 32,693 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by ChrisInTempe

GoFundMe begging site:

So who's in?
    BabyBou_zps02cb011e.png
    You inspired me Chris... Go figure.
    Maybe others will join the cause through example.
    Oh... And covered the 5% fee as well... [;)]

mkf1o1.jpg
  • Options
    capguncapgun Member Posts: 1,848
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Onehandude
    Here is another one.

Grenade burns sleeping girl as SWAT team raids home

Read more: http://billingsgazette.com/news/local/crime-and-courts/grenade-burns-sleeping-girl-as-swat-team-raids-home/article_8bc67054-464d-5951-a5a1-003d4ed02d99.html#ixzz2t8oD5IkV

httg86.jpg
    This one is really ridiculous if you read the article. When the police find drugs or guns they show them and make a big deal out of the raid. When they arrest no one and find nothing significant they refuse to admit it and say "they can not speak because of the ongoing investigation".