In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Atlanta SWAT team screw up once again!

2»

Comments

• Options
    wifetrainedwifetrained Member Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Flying Clay Disk
    Gosh...I bet there's a bunch of folks who wish this story would just go away!

For the parents though...this story will never go away!

...for my part, I hope it never goes away either![;)]

Where's the national outrage over this???? An infant was almost killed and if he survives his injuries will almost certainly be crippled to some extent. And yet I see little coverage on a national level.
  • Options
    ChrisInTempeChrisInTempe Member Posts: 15,562
    edited November -1
    Baby is not breathing on his own, goes in for surgery on Monday.

The police have claimed there was no indication a child was ever in the house. They say the playpen or crib was blocking the door. Now hearing some problems with those claims:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pdq5HzP7WGM

The family is saying they had been visiting in that house for two months, it was the last night there. Their home in Wisconsin was damaged in a fire and they were staying with in-laws.

They are saying the four children played outside everyday. That there were toys around the place and two playpens. Including one that was often out front during the day. The one the baby was sleeping in was next to the parent's bed, six or seven feet from the bedroom door. The father is a stay at home dad, he was always there with the children. How'd the cops miss this point?

The police have said the "Confidential Informant" bought drugs there and never saw children? Who was this informant? What was on the informant's rap sheet? Who verified the informant's claims?

Family also says the police took the baby away, told them the baby was fine and ordered the family to shut up and sit down. It was some time later they learned what had happened.
  • Options
    1911a1-fan1911a1-fan Member Posts: 51,193 ✭✭
    edited November -1
  • Options
    Don McManusDon McManus Member Posts: 23,530 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by nunn
    You're right. The child had no choice. Children very often are born to crappy parents. When these situations come to the attention of those in authority, the children are usually removed and put in foster care. Guess who pays for that?

Anyone dumb enough to believe that the police targeted a crib with the flash-bang, well I want to talk to you about this nifty bridge I have for sale. I agree it was a screw-up, but no one deliberately injured a baby.

I did not mean to imply that Atlanta's shock troops deliberately targeted the child, David. I am fairly certain we are not yet at that stage.

The choice, however, was to know your target, if the reports we are now seeing are correct regarding children in and outside the house frequently, these folks did not spend enough time identifying their target.

Now a child gets to live with a disfiguring injury, if he survives, and a police officer gets to live with the trauma of having needlessly damaging or taking an innocent life.

If he is any sort of a man, this will rest heavily upon him, as it should.
    Freedom and a submissive populace cannot co-exist.

Brad Steele
  • Options
    MG1890MG1890 Member Posts: 4,649
    edited November -1
    Well, but, the SWAT Heros got to go home safely at the end of their shift....

SWAT = small pecker disorder.
  • Options
    ChrisInTempeChrisInTempe Member Posts: 15,562
    edited November -1
    There are now also statements that the family mini-van was parked right out front. Has four child car seats in it. Has those window stickers on the back that families put on. You know the sort, little cartoon images of Mom, Dad, Son, Daughter, The Dog, The Cat, etc...

Sooo.... no indication there were children in the place? Nope, not holding up so good.

One other thing, just keeping in this thing in balance. As an EMT/Rescue Team member I have known and worked with SWAT guys from the EMS side of things. Have followed them around doing night training exercises, wearing night vision goggles. Among these men are people I saw every reason to admire and respect.

The issue is not that all SWAT is bad or all cops are bad. Neither case is even remotely true.

The issue is that there are too many examples of things going off the rails and innocents being harmed. Were there to be true and effective responsibility taken, ending with both punishment and corrective actions to prevent repeat screw-ups, we wouldn't be hearing of these things over and over again.

• Options
    CoolhandLukeCoolhandLuke Member Posts: 7,826 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    No way I can admire or respect men who lend themselves to break down doors in the middle of the night to terrorize innocent children.
    those guys are simply bullies and cowards
    The children are not supposed to be there, yeah right!
    We have to fight so we can run away.
    Capt. Jack Sparrow.
  • Options
    Smitty500magSmitty500mag Member Posts: 13,603 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    It's common in Atlanta for the cops to take the word of any informant for the truth without checking it out. Several years ago cops in Atlanta were acting on an informants bogus information of drugs being sold in Kathryn Johnston's house, a 92 year old Atlanta woman which turned out to be a load of BS. They cut off burglar bars and broke down her door using a no-knock warrant and killed her. They shot at her 39 times and hit her with 6 shots killing her for no reason. Then they planted drugs in her house after they discovered that the info they got was not true. The good thing about it was the old lady managed to get off 5 shoots of her own hitting 3 of the cops with her old .32 revolver. They were to embarrassed to admit that she shot them and even lied that she hit them and blamed it on friendly fire from their own guns. Here she was sitting and minding her own business in her house while these thugs kick down her door and start shooting and she's still got the presents of mind to grab her gun and shoot the 3 of them before they get her. She hit one in the *, one in the arm and one in the shoulder.
    These guys went to jail but not for nearly enough time.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kathryn_Johnston_shooting
  • Options
    AnonymouseAnonymouse Member Posts: 4,050
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Mobuck
    "TO PROTECT AND SERVE"
    AND BLOW UP BABIES, SHOOT DOGS, and KILL OLD MEN WITH CANES
    but they got to go home at the end of their shift

Good to see some of you are finally waking up to the new reality of police state Amerika.
  • Options
    capguncapgun Member Posts: 1,848
    edited November -1
    Good police work is done every day by honest, hard working cops. To cleanse the pool, cops acting incompetently need to be held fully accountable for their actions. And just saying "we will be more careful in the future" is not sufficient. Police officers who injure innocent people through their negligence should be removed from the profession, and if appropriate, prosecuted. Other cops would pay attention, and hopefully use better judgment to avoid the same consequences.
  • Options
    Mr. PerfectMr. Perfect Member, Moderator Posts: 66,372 ******
    edited November -1
    If it weren't for swat, we wouldn't have ... oh wait, swat is totally useless, replaceable, and dispensable.
    Some will die in hot pursuit
    And fiery auto crashes
    While sifting through my ashes
    Some will fall in love with life
    And drink it from a fountain
    That is pouring like an avalanche
    Coming down the mountain
  • Options
    capguncapgun Member Posts: 1,848
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Mr. Perfect
    If it weren't for swat, we wouldn't have ... oh wait, swat is totally useless, replaceable, and dispensable.
    Wrong. There is a place in law enforcement for special weapons and special tactics teams. Sniper and hostage situations can best be handled by officers who have specialized weapons and are trained in specialized tactics beyond the realm of the beat officer. These teams should be utilized when negotiations and other attempts at a peaceful resolution have failed and innocent lives are in imminent danger. Swat teams should be a last resort, used to save human lives.
  • Options
    CoolhandLukeCoolhandLuke Member Posts: 7,826 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have no gripe with regular cops it's the SWAT Seal's wannabe bums I absolutely despise.
    We have to fight so we can run away.
    Capt. Jack Sparrow.
  • Options
    joker5656joker5656 Member Posts: 5,598 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    the guy they were looking for was else where at another home, not to mention all they found was residues in the home where the toddler was. Oh, why can't they stake out a house for a day or two, the local news said they didn't know there was kids in the house.
  • Options
    Mr. PerfectMr. Perfect Member, Moderator Posts: 66,372 ******
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by capgun
    quote:Originally posted by Mr. Perfect
    Wrong. There is a place in law enforcement for special weapons and special tactics teams. Sniper and hostage situations can best be handled by officers who have specialized weapons and are trained in specialized tactics beyond the realm of the beat officer. These teams should be utilized when negotiations and other attempts at a peaceful resolution have failed and innocent lives are in imminent danger. Swat teams should be a last resort, used to save human lives.
    not in its current state. Nope.
    And fiery auto crashes
    While sifting through my ashes
    Some will fall in love with life
    And drink it from a fountain
    That is pouring like an avalanche
    Coming down the mountain