In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

traffic round abouts

grumpygygrumpygy Member Posts: 53,466
edited July 2018 in General Discussion
You have them Thoughts.

We have them in several places and once folks got used to them they really helped.

But now they went nuts got a double round about almost looks like a figure eight. Scary cause it would be rel easy for head ons.

Comments

• Options
    HandLoadHandLoad Member Posts: 15,998
    edited November -1
    Just outside Swindon, England, they have a "Magic Roundabout" - is FIVE linked Roundabouts, looks like a Daisy from above...

A Rented Mini Cooper and a Couple Liters of Gas, and You can have Laugh-Out-Loud FUN! For Hours!!!

I learnt how to navigate Roundabouts in Merry Olde: Slot Second, and Mat It! [:D][:D][:D][:D]

Now, about those Numb Motorists who stop at entry, put on blinkers to enter and/or exit: Blast around them, giving the universal digit and a blare of Horns!!!
  • Options
    Sam06Sam06 Member Posts: 21,254 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have not liked them since go trough the Yarmuk Traffic circle in Mosul,
    RLTW

• Options
    Mr. PerfectMr. Perfect Member, Moderator Posts: 66,265 ******
    edited November -1
    I hate those damn things. Most people I know call them traffic circles, I call them traffic jerkles.
    Some will die in hot pursuit
    And fiery auto crashes
    Some will die in hot pursuit
    While sifting through my ashes
    Some will fall in love with life
    And drink it from a fountain
    That is pouring like an avalanche
    Coming down the mountain
  • Options
    iceracerxiceracerx Member Posts: 8,860 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Just another joke the Brits are laughing at us for.

They don't use 'roundabouts' to speed up traffic. And I doubt it can be shown that traffic flows better than with traffic lights

The University I attended installed 'traffic circles' in the 1970's. Since students weren't allowed to use cars on campus, except on weekends, we were mostly pedestrians. As such, we had a bit of interaction with lost parents and became skilled at directing said parents through the circles.

Any guesses what the University uses today? Hint: They aren't round.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    If Traffic is below a threshold, Traffic Circles save Gas, Wear and Tear on vehicles, and save time for all who pass.

But, when traffic gets dense enough, Everybody gets Ticked Off and things get NASTY!

I hate them when Traffic is heavy, and avoid them.

But when Traffic is light, they are Fun!
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Depending on Diameter, and Curbing, Semi-Truck Drivers HATE Them!

Night time Drunks are cleaned out by hitting the Brick/Cement planters in the Middle, thus saving other Motorists! The many installed in My Little Fishing Village get "Modified" with regularity by unsafe motorists!

Cities LOVE them, as there are no signal woes, no power useage, and it slows criminals fleeing.
  • Options
    shilowarshilowar Member Posts: 38,815 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I grew up in the north so I was used to using a "rotary". They recently introduced them here in Virginia and southerners seem to have a difficult time grasping the concept. inexperience combined with today's general rudeness and incivility lead to folks not utilizing the yield concept. Which is problematic at a Rotary or "round about"
  • Options
    Old-ColtsOld-Colts Member Posts: 22,700 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I survived the one in Amman, Jordan; so I don't want to test my luck!!!!!

If you can't feel the music; it's only pink noise!

• Options
    Don McManusDon McManus Member Posts: 23,476 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I don?t mind the single lane ones, but navigating a two lane roundabout in Dubai at 60 mph put a real pucker in my pooter.
    Freedom and a submissive populace cannot co-exist.

Brad Steele
  • Options
    yoshmysteryoshmyster Member Posts: 21,033 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Got a new one near a hospital near 17 Mile Drive waiting for some street racers to drift to show off their mad skills every time a car event is in town.

Now me I kind a wanna do the Chevy Chase in "The European Vacation". Get in one and spend a day driving in a circle.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by shilowar
    I grew up in the north so I was used to using a "rotary". They recently introduced them here in Virginia and southerners seem to have a difficult time grasping the concept. inexperience combined with today's general rudeness and incivility lead to folks not utilizing the yield concept. Which is problematic at a Rotary or "round about"I seem to remember one at Fairfax Circle in Fairfax, VA when we lived there from late 1978 to early 1981. However, it might not meet the true definition of a traffic round about or traffic circle.

• Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Don McManus
    I don?t mind the single lane ones, but navigating a two lane roundabout in Dubai at 60 mph put a real pucker in my pooter.Sounds like the one in Amman, yep, a real pucker factor!!!!!!

• Options
    shilowarshilowar Member Posts: 38,815 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Old-Colts
    I grew up in the north so I was used to using a "rotary". They recently introduced them here in Virginia and southerners seem to have a difficult time grasping the concept. inexperience combined with today's general rudeness and incivility lead to folks not utilizing the yield concept. Which is problematic at a Rotary or "round about"I seem to remember one at Fairfax Circle in Fairfax, VA when we lived there from late 1978 to early 1981. However, it might not meet the true definition of a traffic round about or traffic circle.

OK let me be specific..they recently introduced them to Roanoke VA....Out here we don't consider NoVA as part of our state. [;)]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Old-Colts
    I grew up in the north so I was used to using a "rotary". They recently introduced them here in Virginia and southerners seem to have a difficult time grasping the concept. inexperience combined with today's general rudeness and incivility lead to folks not utilizing the yield concept. Which is problematic at a Rotary or "round about"I seem to remember one at Fairfax Circle in Fairfax, VA when we lived there from late 1978 to early 1981. However, it might not meet the true definition of a traffic round about or traffic circle.OK let me be specific..they recently introduced them to Roanoke VA....Out here we don't consider NoVA as part of our state. [;)][:D][:D]

I can appreciate that!!!!!

• Options
    mrmike08075mrmike08075 Member Posts: 10,998 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The worst one used to be on rte 130 in Camden county in southern NJ

It's gone now and has been for some time but I grew up riding and later driving through it

The idea is great (a multi lane circle that merges traffic from several directions) until you remember how stupid and lazy most drivers and people are

The one I remember the most fondly was in the northeast - to enter Maine from the rest of new England you had to cycle through a circle (was a big wine and spirits business there)

Mike
  • Options
    armilitearmilite Member Posts: 35,483 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    We've got over 100 of them here now. If you go to the Cabela's store in Richfield, WI. you have to navigate 2 of them each way in that are only 50 yards apart. [:(][:(][:(][:(]
  • Options
    WranglerWrangler Member Posts: 5,788
    edited November -1
    Most people in the US don?t know how to drive a round about. The City of New Braunfels is a tourist town, so they produced a video to show the tourist how to get around it without playing bumper cars.

https://youtu.be/57mne1ctdRM
  • Options
    Horse Plains DrifterHorse Plains Drifter Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 39,358 ***** Forums Admin
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Mr. Perfect
    I hate those damn things. Most people I know call them traffic circles, I call them traffic jerkles.
    Yep, they need to keep that crap where it belongs, which is outside the USA.
  • Options
    gunnut505gunnut505 Member Posts: 10,290
    edited November -1
    Just toss 20 illegals in a truck, point 'em towards one of those things, and watch the fun begin!
    Every one has dark tire skid marks straight through it.
    The city quit putting landscaping in the middle of them due to it not being there an hour later.

We call 'em DUI nets.
  • Options
    leadlead Member Posts: 2,311 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    SW Missouri has had a few added recently. They say liquor sales went up at the gas station near one. People were buying beers, bringing their lawn chairs and watching cars play chicken with each other trying to get around it. The local body shops have been seeing business really improve too.
  • Options
    ltcdotyltcdoty Member Posts: 4,169 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    1969...I was stationed at an airbase near Cambridge, England....I bought myself a BSA Lightening motorcycle...I was cruising the English countryside and came upon a round a bout

For some reason I froze up and drove right through the middle and out the other side....through flower beds and people sitting on benches.

I happened to be wearing a leather jacket with an American flag on the back( shades of Easy Rider ).....as I rode through I hear a man yell' Bloody Yanks!"...[:D]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Overpaid, Oversexed, and Over Here!!! Bloody Yanks!!!![:D][:D][:D][:D]
  • Options
    bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Timid people, those more apt to hit the left pedal rather than the right are the issue in traffic circles. For the life of me I will never understand why folks get all mind bent over the theory of merging with traffic.
  • Options
    mjrfd99mjrfd99 Member Posts: 4,556 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by HandLoad
    If Traffic is below a threshold, Traffic Circles save Gas, Wear and Tear on vehicles, and save time for all who pass.

But, when traffic gets dense enough, Everybody gets Ticked Off and things get NASTY!

I hate them when Traffic is heavy, and avoid them.

But when Traffic is light, they are Fun!

Yep the one in Clearwater Beach Fl on the west end of SR 60 is a parking lot.
  • Options
    remingtonoaksremingtonoaks Member Posts: 26,251 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Just outside Swindon, England, they have a "Magic Roundabout" - is FIVE linked Roundabouts, looks like a Daisy from above...

A Rented Mini Cooper and a Couple Liters of Gas, and You can have Laugh-Out-Loud FUN! For Hours!!!

I learnt how to navigate Roundabouts in Merry Olde: Slot Second, and Mat It! [:D][:D][:D][:D]

Now, about those Numb Motorists who stop at entry, put on blinkers to enter and/or exit: Blast around them, giving the universal digit and a blare of Horns!!!

I hate the people with low IQs that DON'T use the blinker when they exit, it's the law that you have to, and it's also courtesy to do so. I don't know how many countless times I've had to wait for five or six cars to pass before I could go just because some low IQ idiot didn't use the blinker so I can get on in front of them...

I also hate people that uses their horns just to make people think they're more important than what they really are. I find it very narcissistic. And because it's against the law to use it unless it's an emergencyy situation. By are by definition, a criminal. And I hate all criminals
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by remingtonoaks

I hate the people with low IQs that DON'T use the blinker when they exit, it's the law that you have to, and it's also courtesy to do so. I don't know how many countless times I've had to wait for five or six cars to pass before I could go just because some low IQ idiot didn't use the blinker so I can get on in front of them...

I also hate people that uses their horns just to make people think they're more important than what they really are. I find it very narcissistic. And because it's against the law to use it unless it's an emergencyy situation. By are by definition, a criminal. And I hate all criminals

Sitting there I could have went, I could have went, really does get irritating. In Oregon either all the bulbs in cars don't work or they are all idiots.
  • Options
    cbxjeffcbxjeff Member Posts: 17,427 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I learned to use them while stationed at Ft. Monroe, VA. Wasn't a big problem as the locals had been using them for a long time and I caught on pretty quickly. Indiana started installing them a few years ago west of Indy and it's a real pain. Almost everyone is a newbe and it's downright dangerous. In a few years folks will learn but by then I won't be driving anymore.
    It's too late for me, save yourself.
  • Options
    MobuckMobuck Member Posts: 13,779 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Most stupid idea EVER. I grit my teeth every time I'm forced to use one. AND that doesn't even begin to describe the feelings of those who pull trailers. I was darned near T-boned by a foopid stucker who was attempting to take a "jerk circle" at road speed.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    For those that they have seen people go straight thru. Not happening on this one. Middles are sunken with concrete barriers up top. Even miss on the sides they are sunken too. All I got to say is these are scary.

We have several others and they are a piece of cake, they actually do save time from the lights that used to be there.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Well, RO, it is a Right turn to get on, and a Right turn to get off, so You are notifying exactly Nobody with the signal!

Whether or not the Person in the Circle is Signalling, You best not join till there is a real space to put Your Blunder Bus! Person might be Signalling since last Tuesday - You gonna Blast on in, Hmmm?

Finally, Not a Crime to use Horns Where I am. Nor am I a "Criminal" until Convicted - might be a Scofflaw, though. Now Who is the Low IQ?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Well, RO, it is a Right turn to get on, and a Right turn to get off, so You are notifying exactly Nobody with the signal!

Whether or not the Person in the Circle is Signalling, You best not join till there is a real space to put Your Blunder Bus! Person might be Signalling since last Tuesday - You gonna Blast on in, Hmmm?

Finally, Not a Crime to use Horns Where I am. Nor am I a "Criminal" until Convicted - might be a Scofflaw, though. Now Who is the Low IQ?

You...

As per the United States Department of Transportation.

It is against the law to use your horn for any purpose to chastise someone...

Plus every State's laws are the same as far as using a blinker, you have to use one every time you make a left turn or a right turn. There's no exceptions, except in a roundabout while entering it, because there is only one way you can go. But after you enter, you can keep on going in circles with the roundabout or you can turn off the roundabout by turning right. So when you are in a roundabout, you don't use a blinker period, but when you're turning right off a roundabout you are obligated by law to use a blinker because you are making a right turn.

just because you don't know the Laws doesn't mean they don't exist. So who has the low IQ now.

People like you are the ones that I read about that gets shot because of somebody else's road rage after they antagonized them. Not a quality of a high IQ person if you ask me

And for the people with low IQ, there's a difference between a convict and a criminal. A criminal is the person that breaks the laws whether they are convicted or not. A convict a person that has been convicted of a crime.
  • Options
    toad67toad67 Member Posts: 13,019 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    In my semi rural country location with large collector roads and highways, where large trucks frequent, they are a blessing. The corners are wider, and more even, and if no one is coming the stop sign is eliminated.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    @RO: You probably need to ratchet up Your Hatred a couple notches more!

I set up my Vehicles with 100+ Watts High Beams, link in the Low Beams for When the Highs are requested. Then, I cross-link the Horns, so that when I mash the Horn Button, it turns everything on. Don't want a miscreant to mistake which motorist is using them!

Oh, Yeah, the Horns are not OEM! I like Three-Tone FIAMMS. Helps penetrate the mental fog of Those below Me on the IQ scale...

Officer and Gentleman, by Act of Congress.[:D]
  • Options
    Rocky RaabRocky Raab Member Posts: 14,190 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I grew up with one. There was (undoubtedly still is) a large one right in the dead center of Belleville, Illinois dating from back in the 50s. Had a big fountain in the center, two lanes around, and four little parking lots in the corners. That took up essentially a full city block. They had to have designed the city around it, in fact.

Gonna go look on Google Earth. Will report back...

YUP, still there! Much changed after half a century, of course. Very streamlined. Check it out yourself. Zoom in a few miles east of St Louis.
    I may be a bit crazy - but I didn't drive myself.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    @RO: You probably need to ratchet up Your Hatred a couple notches more!

I set up my Vehicles with 100+ Watts High Beams, link in the Low Beams for When the Highs are requested. Then, I cross-link the Horns, so that when I mash the Horn Button, it turns everything on. Don't want a miscreant to mistake which motorist is using them!

Oh, Yeah, the Horns are not OEM! I like Three-Tone FIAMMS. Helps penetrate the mental fog of Those below Me on the IQ scale...

Officer and Gentleman, by Act of Congress.[:D]

Sounds like you have to ratchet down your hatred level, it's off the scale

No worries there, they don't exist.[;)]

Either your parents forgot to talk to teach you common courtesy, or you weren't paying attention when they did...[V]
  • Options
    popgunpopgun Member Posts: 691 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    They've started putting them in here in AZ. I've seen four near misses in them and that was during light traffic. People get confused in them, change lanes into other's paths, etc.

I think they're accidents waiting to happen. Hate them.
  • Options
    wiplashwiplash Member Posts: 7,146 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Remingtonoaks. Believe it or not, using your blinker to make a turn in Nevada is no longer a Law! I have no idea why they did that but they did.
    There is no such thing as Liberal Men, only Liberal Women with Penises.'
  • Options
    Big Sky RedneckBig Sky Redneck Member Posts: 19,752 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Oh you poor people in your zippy little cars!!!

Try getting in a busy one with an 80,000# truck, aint happening because CAR DRIVERS WON?T LET US IN!! On the double lane ones you have to take both lanes or braindead car drivers will squeeze right beside you forcing you to hit the curb or sideswipe thier *!! Merging, you all know the rules!! The truck the truck you merge in front of the damned truck!! Force him to slow or stop, you?re more important anyway!!!

The only way to enter a traffic cirlcle with traffic with a truck is to cut someone off, if forced to stop before entering it becomes a nightmare because at some point you have to go and that means from a dead stop into traffic bringing the entire circle to a crawl or stop. I forget which state it was but they had to pass a law giving trucks right of way because of this very issue.

Ok, back to being an * [:D]

TURN SIGNALS ARE COURTEOUS
    COURTESY IS A SIGN OF WEAKNESS!
    I?M BIGGER
    I WIN BY DEFAULT

[:D][:D][:D]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Worked 23 Years in the Harbor, Supervising Crane Department. Got Respect for Truck Drivers by driving a Flatrack with 70,000 pounds of Spreader Bar around the Yard, making switch for one broken by tender love of Longshoremen.

Always signal for trucks when they clear me in passing, always give them room at corners and.......Roundabouts!
  • Options
    ROY222ROY222 Member Posts: 532 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    They have two of them close together here. The traffic signs make it looks like a screwed up number 8.

Better not get close to a truck. They made them so narrow there is no way a large truck cannot take up two lanes.
    Lots of trucking and dump trucking companies nearby.

Must have been a fade when they built it.
    Daily wrecks there when they opened it up.