In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Clippers owner Donald Sterling banned for life by

1911a1-fan1911a1-fan Member Posts: 51,193 ✭✭
edited April 2014 in General Discussion
Clippers owner Donald Sterling banned for life by NBA

http://t.foxsports.msn.com/nba/clippers-owner-donald-sterling-banned-for-life-by-nba

NEW YORK -- Los Angeles Clippers owner Donald Sterling has been banned for life by the NBA in response to racist comments the league says he made in a recorded conversation.

Silver bans Sterling for life, pushes for team sale

Silver bans Sterling for life, pushes for team sale

1 hr ago 1:07 Views: 885 FOX Sports NBA News

Commissioner Adam Silver said he will try to force the controversial owner to sell his franchise. Sterling has also been fined $2.5 million, and Silver made no effort to hide his outrage over the comments.

He said a league investigation found that the league's longest-tenured owner was in fact the person on the audiotapes that were released over the weekend.

"We stand together in condemning Mr. Sterling's views," Silver said. "They simply have no place in the NBA."

Comments

• Options
    Rack OpsRack Ops Member Posts: 18,597 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Am I the only one who got a chuckle out of "Sterling" being banned by "Silver"?
  • Options
    JgreenJgreen Member Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    There is a saying, that money is a magnifier. If you are a turd before, you tend to become a massive turd after.

I think that everyone involved is just a shi- stain on the underpants of life.

Sterling is obviously off his nut.

His mistress tapes him, and "somehow" it gets out. Supposedly she got his OK to record this, because "he forgets what he says". Maybe. I doubt it. I get the sense that he doesn't give a F what he says, and if he had anything important to say, he wouldn't say it to his mistress!

So here she tapes him, in my book, just to F with him. Let's assume that she didn't release it - it doesn't matter. She taped him for a reason. She wanted some ammo. No rich dude is ever going to bother with her. There are plenty of other good looking women willing to schtup an old rich guy. She blew it.

And Sterling's "estranged" wife? She had an easy out on this - she initially made a big stink that "I'm not sure it's him" and "We are estranged". Why waffle? Becuase she knows she's gonna lose money here. She thinks she's got some pull. But she also can't back him. Stupid move. The easy out? Six words, perfect for a twitter post: "There's a reason why we're estranged..."

NBA had no choice. There is no choice here. This guy just blew it.
  • Options
    shilowarshilowar Member Posts: 38,815 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    heart breaking, really
  • Options
    fideaufideau Member Posts: 11,893 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    In this case, I could not care less. Never watch pro BB. Don't care who wins or loses. If the whole thing went away I wouldn't miss it.
    Gives the race baiters another reason to march and protest. And get more freebies. Those millionaire future inmates got their gold teeth and Ferraris while 70% of the brothers are on welfare. What dey got to beech about?
  • Options
    MG1890MG1890 Member Posts: 4,649
    edited November -1
    Thought we had a right to free speech in this country.
  • Options
    Dads3040Dads3040 Member Posts: 13,552 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have been enjoying the comments of people worried about the stellar reputation of the NBA.

Our schools don't teach the meaning of irony anymore I guess.
  • Options
    mark christianmark christian Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 24,456 ******
    edited November -1
    A $2 million fine to a guy worth two billion is not even a slap on the wrist. He is worth two billion, the team could be worth as much as a billion when sold and he's 80 years old...Why does he even care? The NBA cannot force him to sell the team but he owns a franchise so if the other NBA owners black ball him he might still own the team but the Clippers won't be able to compete in the NBA. That means paying a bunch of high priced basketball talent, all of who have contracts, a LOT of money to work out in the gym every day while no one watches.
  • Options
    gruntledgruntled Member Posts: 8,218 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I can't imagine why anyone watches in the first place.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    my opinion both sides of this behavior just keeps the racist machine going, he was recorded in his own home voicing his opinion, and pays the PC price

pretty ridiculous really
  • Options
    WulfmannWulfmann Member Posts: 4,894 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    What this jerk said is offensive to me personally.

However, aren't we allowed to be stupid, petty, insensitive, immature, and in general have an opinion contrary to others in a so called "free country"???

Now a guy who tells his girl friend she can fudge however she wants but don't bring him around my place (over simplified but basically it)can't even have that opinion??? What is he supposed to say cheat on me and please do it in front of everyone at my establishment because anything less is just not right???

We have become so reversed racist in this country it is impossible to know what is PC because one group has such limitations on behavior while minorities are unbound.

I may not like this guy but I think he has a right to be a jerk and let us know why we would not want to associate with him.
    No, we must make sure people never reveal their personal views so we can all pretend we are something we are not.
    Yeah, that's healthy

Wulfmann
    3YUCmbB.jpg
    "Fools learn from their own mistakes. I learn from the mistakes of others"
    Otto von Bismarck
  • Options
    mark christianmark christian Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 24,456 ******
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by MG1890

We hear that quite a bit on Gun Broker, usually from (soon to be) former members who are being tossed out the door by CaptFun. You can own the team and say what you like but you are a part of the NBA franchise and when the boys in New York office don't like what you have to say you are finished. DS has every right to speak his mind and the NBA has every right to pull his franchise if they don't like it.
  • Options
    spasmcreekspasmcreek Member Posts: 37,724 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    political correctness outweighs freedom of speech...welkum to the new Amerika...poor taste and bad judgment is now a crime
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by mark christian

We hear that quite a bit on Gun Broker, usually from (soon to be) former members who are being tossed out the door by CaptFun. You can own the team and say what you like but you are a part of the NBA franchise and when the boys in New York office don't like what you have to say you are finished. DS has every right to speak his mind and the NBA has every right to pull his franchise if they don't like it.

Exactly, the Constitution constrains Government, not the private market place.
  • Options
    calrugerfancalrugerfan Member Posts: 18,209
    edited November -1

X-ring. Normally, I am all about free speech. However, be aware that when your neighbors don't like what you say, you may not be invited over.
  • Options
    andrewsw16andrewsw16 Member Posts: 10,728 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I could see and agree with the sanctions if he had made the statement publicly, expecially at an NBA function. But, this was a private conversation between him and his girl.
    I think it was "nunya" business for the NBA. But, private organizations can institute their own sanctions without government interference.
    He is a multi multi millionaire. Does anyone really think he gives a hoot about all this? [:D]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by calrugerfan

X-ring. Normally, I am all about free speech. However, be aware that when your neighbors don't like what you say, you may not be invited over.

Free speech doesn't mean its free from consequences! [;)]
  • Options
    edited November -1

Maybe. I didn't read the contract.
  • Options
    austin20austin20 Member Posts: 35,057 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Rack Ops
    Am I the only one who got a chuckle out of "Sterling" being banned by "Silver"?
    Good observation.I missed it.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Think of this like the Gun Broker posting guidelines: As soon as CaptFun hears something from a member that he doesn't like that member is done. Didn't read the posting guidelines or don't agree with the way that they are being interpreted? Too bad. Take a look at all of the locked GB accounts and think of them as individual franchises: The accounts still exist but they are no longer able to participate in the forum. This is the same as owning a professional basketball team but not being able to compete in the NBA, which makes owning the team rather pointless. The franchise sets the rules and teams can be removed at their pleasure. The individual ownership of professional sports teams has been on the decline for many years; the teams are too valuable and are owned mostly by cooperations, consortiums or groups of investors running teams strictly as businesses.
  • Options
    Spider7115Spider7115 Member, Moderator Posts: 29,714 ******
    edited November -1
    He really picked himself one helluva girlfriend. Spends $2 million on her and she throws him under the bus. [:(!]
  • Options
    Dads3040Dads3040 Member Posts: 13,552 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I am waiting for the discussion of just what is motivating the girl to play pileup with an 80 year old man.

Maybe they are just friends. Or she is 'on the payroll'.
  • Options
    dfletcherdfletcher Member Posts: 8,162 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    OK, I'll try this out here too ....

"Good news for NBA fans. Owner Donald Sterling has agreed to sell his LA Clippers basketball team. The bad news - he's selling them to Nevada Rancher Clive Bundy ...... one at a time."

Nothing? Hello, hello - is this mike on?
  • Options
    LesWVaLesWVa Member Posts: 10,490 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Will the NAACP return the money he has donated to them over the years?
  • Options
    A J ChristA J Christ Member Posts: 7,534
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by gruntled
    I can't imagine why anyone watches in the first place.

+1
  • Options
    gary wraygary wray Member Posts: 4,663
    edited November -1
    I would hope that this would open up a general conversation on racism in general by all races....for example, why was the NAACP going to honor both the white racist Silver with the black racist Sharpton's with the Lifetime Achievement Award soon? They have cancelled Silvers....how about Sharpton's? I notice also that black folks pile on the white racists and don't say a word or lift a finger (ain't cool) to throw the black racists under the bus. Like it or not, the US Constitution and the 1st Amendment give the guy the right to say just about what he wants but I am tired of seeing a host of black folks parade in front of the mic critizing this guy without one word against Rev Wright, Snoop Dog, Jamie Fox.....and tons of other blacks who say racial things against whites. Its time for a complete, all races, conversation rather than this onesided one IMO.
  • Options
    pulsarncpulsarnc Member Posts: 6,280 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Don't you know ... only whites can be racist !
    cry Havoc and let slip  the dogs of war..... 
  • Options
    edited November -1
    this thread has nothing to do with watching basketball at all, it does pertain to watching our country go down the crapper by the racist machine churning up people of only white color when they make a derogatory remark only against African Americans and no one else

capt and the forum is not a good comparison at all, take earl for example, his personal life, past and present was known, he was outspoken and was not banned for years until he really got out of line, capt is not banning members for their personal views inside their homes, unless you bring it openly to the forum

don sterling did this in his own home, was a comment he did not want to invite any blacks to his own dinner party, he obviously has many blacks under his employment {or am I stereotyping basketball players too}, he made this statement in his home not in public not at a stadium , not at a game, and he didn't even use the N word

sorry I think it ridiculous, whats next prison time for thinking about it, but only if your white ? we already witness the double standard of hate crimes
  • Options
    Mr. PerfectMr. Perfect Member, Moderator Posts: 66,372 ******
    edited November -1
    I heard his comments, and frankly, to me it sounded like he just didn't want to offend his associates who WERE bigots. Jeez the guy is dating a black girl! Now, maybe he was playing too sympathetically to those who were actually bigoted (nothing inherently wrong with racism in the first place, you see), but that doesn't mean he's bigoted without more.

Now, I must couch all this in the fact that apparently he's had some history with this, but frankly, if the former accusations were as shoddy as these, he's likely not the bigot everyone thinks.

Finally, to reiterate... there is NOTHING INHERENTLY WRONG WITH RACISM. When will folks get that?
    Some will die in hot pursuit
    And fiery auto crashes
    While sifting through my ashes
    Some will fall in love with life
    And drink it from a fountain
    That is pouring like an avalanche
    Coming down the mountain
  • Options
    JnRockwallJnRockwall Member Posts: 16,350 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    NBA just trampled a multi-billionaires 1st amendment. I suspect the Clippers are a hair away from being league owned and paying double ir tripple the teams value to own them.
  • Options
    Mr. PerfectMr. Perfect Member, Moderator Posts: 66,372 ******
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by 1911a1fan
    this thread has nothing to do with watching basketball at all, it does pertain to watching our country go down the crapper by the racist machine churning up people of only white color when they make a derogatory remark only against African Americans and no one else

capt and the forum is not a good comparison at all, take earl for example, his personal life, past and present was known, he was outspoken and was not banned for years until he really got out of line, capt is not banning members for their personal views inside their homes, unless you bring it openly to the forum

don sterling did this in his own home, was a comment he did not want to invite any blacks to his own dinner party, he obviously has many blacks under his employment {or am I stereotyping basketball players too}, he made this statement in his home not in public not at a stadium , not at a game, and he didn't even use the N word

sorry I think it ridiculous, whats next prison time for thinking about it, but only if your white ? we already witness the double standard of hate crimes
    nailed it.
    And fiery auto crashes
    While sifting through my ashes
    Some will fall in love with life
    And drink it from a fountain
    That is pouring like an avalanche
    Coming down the mountain
  • Options
    jltrentjltrent Member Posts: 9,220 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by 1911a1fan

+1 I couldn't have said it that well myself.
  • Options
    pwilliepwillie Member Posts: 20,253 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by gary wray
    I would hope that this would open up a general conversation on racism in general by all races....for example, why was the NAACP going to honor both the white racist Silver with the black racist Sharpton's with the Lifetime Achievement Award soon? They have cancelled Silvers....how about Sharpton's? I notice also that black folks pile on the white racists and don't say a word or lift a finger (ain't cool) to throw the black racists under the bus. Like it or not, the US Constitution and the 1st Amendment give the guy the right to say just about what he wants but I am tired of seeing a host of black folks parade in front of the mic critizing this guy without one word against Rev Wright, Snoop Dog, Jamie Fox.....and tons of other blacks who say racial things against whites. Its time for a complete, all races, conversation rather than this onesided one IMO.
    I guess I'm the only non racist on this forum....[:)]
  • Options
    kimikimi Member Posts: 44,723 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by LesWVa
    Will the NAACP return the money he has donated to them over the years?

Not unless Billy O'Reilly or Sean Hannity put in a good word for him to the Reverend Al to make it happen.
    What's next?
  • Options
    JgreenJgreen Member Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I believe that the NAACP did return the money. I wouldn't.
  • Options
    oldrideroldrider Member Posts: 4,934 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I guess I didn't realize it until I read this whole thread, and I mean all of it. Plus I listened to a little bit of the T V news and I finally realized...

I just don't give a sh..t.
  • Options
    allen griggsallen griggs Member Posts: 35,270 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If you ran a wire on the top 10 black basketball players, for 10 hours each, each one of them would probably be banned for life.
  • Options
    WarbirdsWarbirds Member Posts: 16,848 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I wonder if the Clippers end up in Seattle by the time the dust settles.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by allen griggs
    If you ran a wire on the top 10 black basketball players, for 10 hours each, each one of them would probably be banned imprisoned for life.
  • Options
    Horse Plains DrifterHorse Plains Drifter Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 39,437 ***** Forums Admin
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by oldrider
    I guess I didn't realize it until I read this whole thread, and I mean all of it. Plus I listened to a little bit of the T V news and I finally realized...

I just don't give a sh..t.
    Exactly, me niether. Ok, some old rich white guy with a big mouth. I don't care whether they take every dime he has and he ends up in a homeless shelter, or they give him a dozen teams. Just do not care.
  • Options
    mango tangomango tango Member Posts: 3,833 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    This whole thing makes me sick, and very scared! You can't say anything anymore without offending people, I thought we had Freedom of Speech, maybe we do, as long as you don't say anything about Blacks, happys, Hispanics, etc! This country is beginning to sound like Nazi Germany in WWII. And every year, the list of people that you can't offend keeps growing, pretty soon, if not already, you'll have to make sure that you aren't being recorded while your talking to a co worker or friend, for fear of losing your job, or even worse!

This was a private conversation, we shouldn't even been hearing about this, and if I were Mr Sterling, I would sue the pants off of everyone involved!

Like I said, I'm sick of this non sense, and I'm very scared for the direction that we are going!

There will never be racial harmony, as long as the media keeps reporting things like this, we have racial division like we did 50 years ago, instead of moving forward, we are moving backward at an alarming rate!