In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Super Shorty! Holster update

SpartacusSpartacus Member Posts: 14,415
edited June 2009 in General Discussion
I'm supposed to have it next week! anyone have one? is it a bear to shoot?
I used to have a mossberg 500 pistol grip with 18.5" barrel that i could one hand.
can the shorty be shot one handed with that tiny little barrel?
also, there used to be tactical thigh holsters available, but everyone stopped making them it seems. know of anyone still making them?
anyone have one of the holster that i can get some pics and measurements of?
thanks
tom

411tet.jpg

Comments

• Mr. FriendlyMr. Friendly Member Posts: 7,981
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by tplumeri
    I'm supposed to have it next week! anyone have one? is it a bear to shoot?
    I used to have a mossberg 500 pistol grip with 18.5" barrel that i could one hand.
    can the shorty be shot one handed with that tiny little barrel?
    also, there used to be tactical thigh holsters available, but everyone stopped making them it seems. know of anyone still making them?
    anyone have one of the holster that i can get some pics and measurements of?
    thanks
    tom

411tet.jpg
    it bucks hard lol. I love the logo on it, the stick man blasted to pieces [:D]
  • matwormatwor Member Posts: 20,594
    edited November -1
  • SpartacusSpartacus Member Posts: 14,415
    edited November -1
    edited November -1
    quote:Capacity? 3+1....or 4+1?

barrel and mag tube are 6.5"
    two in the tube and one in the chamber is the best it can do.[:0]
    I think it's gonna look good under my black leather drover!
    IF i can find or make a holster![:(]
  • jamesjojamesjo Member Posts: 2,242 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Dano,
    Capacity is 2+1, that's what the ad says anyhow.
  • hk-91hk-91 Member Posts: 10,050
    edited November -1
    so what kinda tax stamp does that little toy run. looks like something i might want to add in a year or two.
    edited November -1
    its considered "any other weapon" category (AOW) and only needs a $5 stamp and some paperwork.
    It's not classed as a short shotgun because it comes from the factory with a pistol grip.
    I love loopholes!
  • hk-91hk-91 Member Posts: 10,050
    edited November -1
    quote:He's got a sweet Colt Cobra with a decent price.

its considered "any other weapon" category (AOW) and only needs a $% stamp and some paperwork.
    It's not classed as a short shotgun because it comes from the factory with a pistol grip.
    I love loopholes!

wonder if i could use that for my trap gun.
    edited November -1
    quote:What did it cost ya, if you don't mind me asking.

$746 shipped. I thought about cutting down my mossy 500 and putting a pistol grip on it, but it wouldn't qualify as AOW and would need the $200 tax stamp.
    you can get it built on a remingtom 870 for $45 more.

that gun knife is cool! kinda pricey, but cool.
  • drobsdrobs Member Posts: 22,611 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Wow that looks painful!
  • reloader44magreloader44mag Member Posts: 18,783 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by drobs
    Wow that looks painful!

+1 LOL
  • yoshmysteryoshmyster Member Posts: 21,645 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Looks like the ones Wilson Combat makes for the feds (also reminds me of Tubb's shooter from "Miami Vice").

As for carry I'd look in to the shoulder sling for the likes of HK MP-5.

Now if it took 3" magnums that would be painful[:D].
  • DBMJR1DBMJR1 Member Posts: 1,854 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Tom: Aguilla makes some very short buckshot shells, that should increase the capacity by at least one if not more.

They have less recoil, so 'single handing' that shotty should be more manageable with them.

http://www.the-armory.com/shopsite_sc/store/html/page23.html

Try there.
  • mrseatlemrseatle Member Posts: 15,467 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If I had one I wouldn't admit it under this current prohibition.

But the recoil is pain, make sure their is no "flash" in the center-line of your pistol grip from the molding process. That tiny bit of plastic leftover can cut like a knife.
  • NwcidNwcid Member Posts: 10,674
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by mrseatle

Wouldnt admit to who and why not? Please explain.
    edited November -1
    quote:Now if it took 3" magnums that would be painful

It DOES! YIKES!![:0][B)][xx(]

quote: Tom: Aguilla makes some very short buckshot shells, that should increase the capacity by at least one if not more

thanks don! i'll get some and let you know

and Nwcid beat me to it, why would anyone not admit to having one?
    hell, I plan on CARRYING it! (on special occassions[;)])
    edited November -1
    found this pic on another forum in a thread dated 2005!
    apparently, Serbu offered these online when you bought the gun, but the guy stopped making them and no others are available.
    I'm thinking about making my own, in black leather.
    I think I'll stick with the 3 shell capacity, but add a sheath for a kay-bar fighting knife. (hey spider, you reading this?). also, those plastic clips gotta go!
    anyone have a CAD program to design one?
    thanks
    tom

90320364.jpg

quote:I don't know. For me, no matter what kind of weapon I have, capacity is a big concern

me too, this is more for fun than anything, just to be able to pull back the drover and look at the reactions![:0]
    I'll still have my pistol(usually a PM9) on me for any serious threat.
    tom
    edited November -1
    edited November -1
    good idea john! thanks!
    I just ordered one.
    I'll modify it to fit and have the mrs sew on some straps and a belt loop. Once i get it to where I want it i'll use it as a pattern for a leather holster.
    who knows, might be able to sell a couple and cover my expenses![:)]
  • matwormatwor Member Posts: 20,594
    edited November -1
    quote:What did it cost ya, if you don't mind me asking.

$746 shipped. I thought about cutting down my mossy 500 and putting a pistol grip on it, but it wouldn't qualify as AOW and would need the $200 tax stamp.
    you can get it built on a remingtom 870 for $45 more.

that gun knife is cool! kinda pricey, but cool.

But couldn't a guy find a Mossy 500, cut it down, pay the 2 bills and still be cheaper than 7 bills and change?
  • txlawdogtxlawdog Member Posts: 10,039 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have a NFA 12.5 inch barrel for an 870. I don't hardly carry it, it does look cool though! I just keep an 18 inch on the gun and leave the short barrel in the safe!
  • Sig220_Ruger77Sig220_Ruger77 Member Posts: 12,748 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    That is really neat![:0][:p]

Jon
    edited November -1
    quote:But couldn't a guy find a Mossy 500, cut it down, pay the 2 bills and still be cheaper than 7 bills and change?

I thought about it. I have a 18.5" mossburg with stock and pistol grip already.
    the finishing parts (fwd grip and slide etc) aren't off the shelf items and i wasn't interested in fabricating my own.
    but youre right, you can build you're own cheaper, even including the $200 tax stamp.
  • irace08irace08 Member Posts: 1 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    i just got this gun, its a lot of fun.

My ffl dealer told me he could get a holster for this.

it is leather and the gun sits under your armpit, on the other side
    you can put a 40 and a knife.

said it was around 6-700. got to wait a few more weeks.
  • bhale187bhale187 Member Posts: 7,798
    edited November -1
    A super shorty new is a $200 stamp, a used one is only a $5 transfer stamp
  • mrseatlemrseatle Member Posts: 15,467 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Nwcid

The original poster asked "if anyone has one?" in his second sentence. Since the current folks in washington are unconstitutionally restricting access to this weapon, I wouldn't advertise that I owned one, registered or not. That's all. I'm not saying I lost all my guns in a boating accident or anything. Just a little commentary on our current sad state of affairs.
  • vicg1vicg1 Member Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by DBMJR1
    Tom: Aguilla makes some very short buckshot shells, that should increase the capacity by at least one if not more.

They have less recoil, so 'single handing' that shotty should be more manageable with them.

http://www.the-armory.com/shopsite_sc/store/html/page23.html

Try there.

Only problem is they don't work in most guns without mods.
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by bhale187

WRONG.
  • quickmajikquickmajik Member Posts: 15,576 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Add a +1 shell mag extention to it, It give you one more round of capacity and might save you some fingers one day.

It'd be cool if they made one with a 10 inch barrel that would attach to a picatinny rail or the nbarrel of an AR15.[:D]

that would be interesting
  • wsfiredudewsfiredude Member Posts: 7,769 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by quickmajik
    Add a +1 shell mag extention to it, It give you one more round of capacity and might save you some fingers one day.

It'd be cool if they made one with a 10 inch barrel that would attach to a picatinny rail or the nbarrel of an AR15.[:D]

that would be interesting

seal_spear_002.jpg

knights-002.jpg

[:D][:D][:D]
  • Bubba Jr.Bubba Jr. Member Posts: 8,300 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    What's this tax stamp you guys are talking about, and who gets the money? I've never had to get a tax stamp.
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Bubba Jr.
    What's this tax stamp you guys are talking about, and who gets the money? I've never had to get a tax stamp.

The Feds get the money. It's a tax you need to pay in order to own one of these. National Firearms Act of 1938.
  • bhale187bhale187 Member Posts: 7,798
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by vicg1

WRONG.

um, exactly how do you figure?
    A super shorty is an AOW, not a SBS (SBS has a minimum overall of 26"). An AOW has a $200 manufacturer stamp and a $5 transfer stamp fee. The serbu link above has already figured the $200 stamp into the listed price, it's a $500 gun.
    edited November -1

WRONG.

um, exactly how do you figure?
    A super shorty is an AOW, not a SBS (SBS has a minimum overall of 26"). An AOW has a $200 manufacturer stamp and a $5 transfer stamp fee. The serbu link above has already figured the $200 stamp into the listed price, it's a $500 gun.

No, it's a $5 stamp. Serbu doesn't have an extra $200 tax figured into the price. SOT manufacturers do not pay a tax. The buyer pays a tax when the firearm is transferred. On a SuperShorty the buyer pays #5. Any AOW is $5 if purchased from an SOT, new or used. If YOU as a non-SOT were to build one you would pay a $200 tax and subsequent transfers would be $5.
  • COLTCOLT Member Posts: 12,637 ******
    edited November -1
    ...NFA tax stamp is $200 and months for the detailed FBI background check, and finger printing/Passport Photo for approval.

...Does the AOW tax stamp at $5, involve the same and months to get as the NFA stamp/approval?...[;)]

ani-texas-flag-2.gif
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by COLT
    ...NFA tax stamp is $200 and months for the detailed FBI background check, and finger printing/Passport Photo for approval.

...Does the AOW tax stamp at $5, involve the same and months to get as the NFA stamp/approval?...[;)]

ani-texas-flag-2.gif

NFA tax stamps can be $200 or $5. An AOW is an NFA weapon just like an MG, DD, etc so all the same requirements apply such as photos, signature if needed, fingerprints and tax payment.
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by HobbyGuy
    quote:Originally posted by Bubba Jr.

The Feds get the money. It's a tax you need to pay in order to own one of these. National Firearms Act of 1938.

The National Firearms Act was enacted in 1934, not 38. Also, not just anyone can make an AOW like the Serbu today. I believe it requires a firearm manufactures license. Although there is an overall length issue, if you cut a shotgun barrel down under 18" you are likely creating an illegal weapon (contraband) that carries a Federal offense with it. I don't believe the ATF approves homebuilt shorties. [;)]

I remember back in the days of buying Sten and Grease gun parts kits at the gun shows, then obtaining a build letter from the BATF. Of course, you still had to pay the $200 tax stamp. Regretfully, there's no such thing today. [V]

Jim

anyone can build an AOW, no manufacturing license needed... same with SBR, SBS, DD... just pay tax and file papers (under fed law)
  • TooBigTooBig Member Posts: 28,559 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    straight from Miami Vice and Tubbs[:D]
    edited November -1
    Here is info on NFA, tax stamps, and types of NFA items, http://forums.gunbroker.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=365687

Vicg1 is right about the tax amounts and building.

SOT do not pay a tax/item as having the SOT is them paying for a license to be "exempt" from paying transfer/making taxes.

Anyone can build any NFA item other then MG just by filling out a Form 1 AND having it come back approved.
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Nwcid

The original poster asked "if anyone has one?" in his second sentence. Since the current folks in washington are unconstitutionally restricting access to this weapon, I wouldn't advertise that I owned one, registered or not. That's all. I'm not saying I lost all my guns in a boating accident or anything. Just a little commentary on our current sad state of affairs.

I live in WA and there are NO restrictions on AOW's of any kind. If you have one that is registered then there is nothing illegal about it.