In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Question for All You Texas Folks............

Marc1301Marc1301 Member Posts: 31,895 ✭✭✭
edited May 2009 in General Discussion
I have given much thought about buying a large lot, or acreage somewhere for awhile now. I was thinking Montana, Idaho, or something similar, but after much thought I don't think I would like the extreme winter temps much. My mother couldn't tolerate them at all, and much of those areas are too isolated for a person with health issues that isn't getting any younger,....more on her below.

I have pretty much settled on checking out Texas seriously.
What are some good areas?
I want to be inland far enough so that hurricanes are not a major concern,......tired of spending 6 months of the year watching for those suckers.

I know that Texas is full of Mexicans, but what areas have the least amount? Yes,.....we have some here also, but most have left since the construction industry has crashed.

What is the tax setup there,......sales tax rates,......do you have a state income tax,........vehicles, etc. How are your property taxes also?

Florida has no state income tax, and the county I live in is 6.5% sales tax. We pay license fees yearly on vehicles, and our property taxes are extremely high!!

I love the area of Florida that I live in, but I see signs of change coming. This is a Conservative county, but we are slowly being invaded by the Libs from NY, and other such areas. Also many of the S. Florida NY types are moving up here, and also a lot of Cubans from the same area. They claim they want to have a different life, but always bring their habits with them. By the time they are finished they will turn this area into a duplicate of what they claim they are wanting to get away from.

We have about 350,000 in my county. I don't want to live in a Metro area, but I also don't want to live out in the middle of nowhere either,........a similar sized area is actually what I am looking for. Everything you could need, but still can live 5 or 10 miles out of town and feel like you are in the boons if you know what I mean.

I also have to think of this because when the time comes to move, I will most likely bring my mother with me. She is getting too old to live alone without me being close by. Good medical facilities are needed also due to that factor.

I always thought I would die in Florida,......been in the state since I was 3. I feel that Florida is going to end up a liberal state at some point, and while we are very gun friendly now, I think that will change also. The bad part is most of our new residents come from NY, NJ, MI, OH, etc. Also they tend to come from the larger cities. They will replace our elected officials with their own at some point, and it will all go down the tubes.

Sorry for the long post, but I wanted to lay all the info out there.
ANY information will be appreciated, and will help me in forming an opinion before I start calling RE Agents there.
BTW,....I would be looking for a minimum of a 1 acre lot, or possibly up to 10 acres. 3 to 5 would be ideal though. I would love a large acreage, but when I retire, I don't have the desire to keep up a huge piece of property anymore. Also affordable acreage like that is usually out in the sticks, which doesn't fall into my other needs.

Thanks much,.......and yes, I would make a good Texan![:0][:D]
"Beam me up Scotty, there's no intelligent life down here." - William Shatner

Comments

• mogley98mogley98 Member Posts: 18,291 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    [8D]
    Why don't we go to school and work on the weekends and take the week off!
  • WarbirdsWarbirds Member Posts: 16,904 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I moved to Fort Worth from Pensacola Florida and really, really enjoyed Fort Worth (Very distinctly NOT DALLAS)! I'm now in Baltimore, Maryland, but I don't think this is a permanent location for me just yet either.

Housing is Affordable, the city of Fort Worth itself is small, clean, historic, has museums, hospitals, a commuter train that goes to Dallas and the suburbs in between. Hurricanes would not be an issue, a tornado is possible, but not frequent. In the winter you may get an ice-storm once or twice.

The housing options are really great you could find anything you would want. Further north in Denton, there is the University of North Texas, more affordable housing, more open country, hospitals, everything you could want. Denton is a pretty nice area too.

If you go west of Fort Worth more out into the country, you could live somewhere like Weatherford, which I would call a little country town that has grown alot in the last few years, but you can still get a place on the lake with a little land.

Really my wife and I loved Fort Worth, DFW is the 3rd largest airport in the world, you can get to nearly anywhere non-stop from the airport too.

Fort Worth really didn't have the mexican population like Dallas or Houston either, no bums in front of Home Depot waiting for a truck to hop into.

I don't know what type of work you do but there are some major companies in the Fort Worth area and you could commute to Dallas.

Lockheed Martin has an enormous facility in Fort Worth.
    Bell Helicopter is headquartered there (my former employer)
    Vought- A major aerospace supplier for Boeing and other primes
    American Airlines and Southwest are both there.
    Tons of energy companies, but the work is really boom or bust with those guys.
    BNSF railroad and Burlington Northern are large in Ft. Worth as well.
    IBM, Texas Instruments, and Microsoft all have large facilities in the area too.
    Radio shack has a large headquarters in downtown, but they have been struggling
    Construction is still doing better than in most places, at least it seemed to be o.k.

Good food, good people, and a strong economy overall. Its worth a look.
  • Marc1301Marc1301 Member Posts: 31,895 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Dave W.
    I moved to Fort Worth from Pensacola Florida and really, really enjoyed Fort Worth (Very distinctly NOT DALLAS)! I'm now in Baltimore, Maryland, but I don't think this is a permanent location for me just yet either.

Housing is Affordable, the city of Fort Worth itself is small, clean, historic, has museums, hospitals, a commuter train that goes to Dallas and the suburbs in between. Hurricanes would not be an issue, a tornado is possible, but not frequent. In the winter you may get an ice-storm once or twice.

The housing options are really great you could find anything you would want. Further north in Denton, there is the University of North Texas, more affordable housing, more open country, hospitals, everything you could want. Denton is a pretty nice area too.

If you go west of Fort Worth more out into the country, you could live somewhere like Weatherford, which I would call a little country town that has grown alot in the last few years, but you can still get a place on the lake with a little land.

Really my wife and I loved Fort Worth, DFW is the 3rd largest airport in the world, you can get to nearly anywhere non-stop from the airport too.

Fort Worth really didn't have the mexican population like Dallas or Houston either, no bums in front of Home Depot waiting for a truck to hop into.

I don't know what type of work you do but there are some major companies in the Fort Worth area and you could commute to Dallas.

IBM, Texas Instruments, and Microsoft all have large facilities in the area too.
    Construction is still doing better than in most places, at least it seemed to be o.k.

Thanks for the info Dave. I am an HVAC Contractor here, but that really isn't too important in terms of moving. I hope to retire in a few years, and most likely would be by the time I actually built there, and moved. Sure,.....I would like to do something after a nice long vacation, but money would not be an object for me per se.

Anybody have an opinion on Tyler?
    I know O-C lives there,......wonder how he would feel about me for a neighbor?[:0][:D]

BTW,....I have done work for Lockheed Martin here in Ocala many times.
    All I do anymore is Industrial work.
  • jeffb1911jeffb1911 Member Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Come check out East Texas. I'm in Lindale, which is a growing city right now, probably about 6.5k or so if we did a census today. My little brother is in the Gregg county area (Longview/Kilgore) and he likes it there. Almost anywhere along either the I20 or I30 corridors would be a good place to live in East Texas. Pick East Texas if you like things like hills and trees! If you happen to come this way let me know, and i'll try to help you find someplace.
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by jeffb1911
    Come check out East Texas. I'm in Lindale, which is a growing city right now, probably about 6.5k or so if we did a census today. My little brother is in the Gregg county area (Longview/Kilgore) and he likes it there. Almost anywhere along either the I20 or I30 corridors would be a good place to live in East Texas. Pick East Texas if you like things like hills and trees! If you happen to come this way let me know, and i'll try to help you find someplace.

I see all of those areas are very close to Tyler,.....just east, and west.

Yes,.....I would prefer some rolling land, and trees.
    Believe it or not, Florida is not totally flat either.
    The area I live in has rolling terrain, and huge oak trees.

Everything kind of changes in this state when you get a bit north of Orlando. South of that is flat with pines, and scrub palm basically.
    Everything else has been planted.

Thanks for the input![;)]
  • big truckerbig trucker Member Posts: 1,167 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Marc,We lived in Interlachen for seven years.Coming back to Kentucky was a welcome move for us.
    Dont blame you for wanting a change. Good luck.
  • Colt SuperColt Super Member Posts: 31,007
    edited November -1
    I also lived in Fort Worth for awhile as SonDave did, when Tandy (Radio Shack) was booming.

I have a different view than he does.

TEXAS WEATHER SUCKS !!

Take a re-look at your other listed options.

Good luck, Mark.

Doug
  • dakotashooter2dakotashooter2 Member Posts: 6,186
    edited November -1
    quote:Question for All You Texas Folks............

You'll get a better response if you your title to:

"Question for all ye all Texas folk" [:D]

They like to hold back on us with "accents".

Don't forget that the parts of Texas tha DONT have hurricanes have tornadoes instead.[:(]
  • kumatekumate Member Posts: 2,314 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Comfort,Texas is a really nice quite place in the Hill Country.Not too many wets and quick access to big towns when needed.Good hunting and fishing,and good barbeque
  • burdz19burdz19 Member Posts: 4,145
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Marc1301
    quote:Originally posted by Dave W.

Thanks for the info Dave. I am an HVAC Contractor here, but that really isn't too important in terms of moving. I hope to retire in a few years, and most likely would be by the time I actually built there, and moved. Sure,.....I would like to do something after a nice long vacation, but money would not be an object for me per se.

Anybody have an opinion on Tyler?
    I know O-C lives there,......wonder how he would feel about me for a neighbor?[:0][:D]

BTW,....I have done work for Lockheed Martin here in Ocala many times.
    All I do anymore is Industrial work.

If you pick FTW, give me a shout. I live in West FTW, moving a little further west this summer hopefully (Weatherford).

Burd
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Doug Wilson
    I also lived in Fort Worth for awhile as SonDave did, when Tandy (Radio Shack) was booming.

I have a different view than he does.

TEXAS WEATHER SUCKS !!

Take a re-look at your other listed options.

Good luck, Mark.

Doug

Doug,.....thanks for the input.
    Keep in mind that I am quite used to hot temps, and high humidity.

We also have tornadoes in these parts, but USUALLY they are not big ones. In all honesty this part of Florida doesn't typically get whacked by hurricanes, but 2004 really sucked.

We get winter temps in the teens here for lows on occasion, but largely it is the thirties. July through September are the hottest months mainly due to the humidity. Average highs are upper eighties to low nineties. Add in the humidity an we get a heat index over 100 on occasion.

I am serious about this, and I appreciate anything that someone has to say. I still think the far north is out of my picture,.......could I most likely adapt? Yes.

I have to take my mother that lives 22 miles across the county from me into my plans. I am all she has left, and I will not leave her here alone if I leave Florida. She is 68 and doing pretty well considering some of the problems she has. I can't bank on that continuing though.
  • dheffleydheffley Member Posts: 25,000
    edited November -1
    Lots of Texas folks buy land in Oklahoma because of Taxes and price.[;)]
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by dheffley

Danny,.......could you possibly expand on that?
    I have yet to hear anyone speak about the tax questions.

Yes, I know I could use Google, but I thought since so many of you folks live in Texas, that I could get a good "heads up."
  • savage170savage170 Member Posts: 37,504 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Good luck to you Marc I'm looking to getting out of this state to for exactly for the same reasons I'm leaning towards south Mo.
  • n/an/a Member Posts: 168,427
    edited November -1
    Do ya know how to bury a Texan???[}:)][}:)][}:)]
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by dheffley

Danny,.......could you possibly expand on that?
    I have yet to hear anyone speak about the tax questions.

Yes, I know I could use Google, but I thought since so many of you folks live in Texas, that I could get a good "heads up."

Taxes in Texas are on three basic levels. State Taxes, County Taxes and Local Taxes. If you buy land in the country, Local Taxes are usually not applicable unless the land does fall in the city limits, and some towns do annex land way away from the actual town just for tax purposes. You do have to check.

County Taxes are the real taxes to focus on. In texas, you find them from little to nothing all the way to above big city taxes. Also, some school taxes are very high. Because they vary so much, you just have to check the taxes of the land you look at. I've seen the vary as much as 400% from one county to the next!

State taxes aren't too bad. Also there are many tax breaks you can qualify for, but you have to check. Homesteading the land or using it for agriculture reduces the taxes, so you find a lot of pigmy goat farmers who own land in Texas.

Oklahoma taxes are for the most part much cheaper than Texas taxes, as is the land. In either Texas or Oklahoma, you need to really check with the county agent and see what the ground water availability is. I have a buddy who bought some land up near the red river with plans to build a house on it. As it turned out, he was sitting on grey water and a well to get to clear water was going to cost him $40,000. To have a local water line brought to the land was going to cost $34,000. To bring electricity to the land was going to cost $10,000. To put a septic tank on the land was going to cost $8,000.

Taxes were the least of his worry.

Those same issues along with deed restrictions and local and envirmental laws are where a lot of folks make big mistakes. I know another guy who bought 32 acres only to find he wasn't allowed to build any structure on it, but did manage to get a trailer house on the land because he won a case in court that said as long as he left the wheels on it, it was a permanent structure.

You just have to be careful. Like I said, land and taxes are cheaper in Oklahoma, but you still have to check into the other issues. If you decide to buy land in Texas, go through a Realtor, not an agent. Then be sure you have the Realtor check into all of the above issues and report them to you. Otherwise, you can get duped big time. "For sale by Owner" is usually a warning flag!
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Classic095
    Do ya know how to bury a Texan???[}:)][}:)][}:)]

Head down so the rest of the world can kiss his ......

Well, you know where it goes from there.[:D]
    edited November -1
    TEXAS WEATHER SUCKS !!

Only for those who can't take the heat![:D]
    edited November -1
    Thanks Danny,.......I don't know if I want to be a "Sooner."[:0]
  • n/an/a Member Posts: 168,427
    edited November -1
    Danny: Ya squeeze the all hot air out of em and put em in a shoe box..[:D][:D][}:)][}:)][:0]
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Classic095
    Danny: Ya squeeze the all hot air out of em and put em in a shoe box..[:D][:D][}:)][}:)][:0]

Still got to bury them head down![:p]
    edited November -1
    Thanks Danny,.......I don't know if I want to be a "Sooner."[:0]

Still some great deals in Oklahoma. The worst thing you have to watch for is someone growing a "special" crop on your land without your knowledge.[;)]
  • jimdeerejimdeere Member, Moderator Posts: 26,025 ******
    edited November -1
    Don't rule out Itta Bena, Mississippi.[8D]
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by jimdeere
    Don't rule out Itta Bena, Mississippi.[8D]

Wiseazz,......I just Googled it![:D]
  • 53hawkeye53hawkeye Member Posts: 4,673
    edited November -1
    Marc1301

Let's see...

most school mascots are 'bulldogs"

1. once you go south past Corpus you may as well be in Mexico as you are now a minority (if you are white) throughout the "Valley" (Rio Grand Valley, that is) Elsewhere is about the same as the rest of the nation.

2. sales tax 8.25%

3. no state income tax

4. vehicles need to be safety inspected once a year, you get a tag on your windshield and you will be ticketed if it is not inspected. Also yearly license plate fees/taxes, of course. And mandatory auto ins, you will be asked for a copy of your ins as well as your license when stopped.

5. property values/taxes vary from county to county.

find a county adjacent to the city/county that is close you will be wanting to visit and buy there. Most counties with large populations have nice tax rates.[V][V] the more rural the less expensive.

East Texas is basically considered to be from Dallas to Houston via I-45 East side of interstate to Louisianna. Mostly great pine trees and spanish moss, dogwoods, and tons of humidity.
    The people are known as Piney Woods rooters, and some have all their teeth.[:D][:D]

From I- 45 west are areas much like lots of the USA except you encounter eastern prickly pear cactus, and mesquite trees, and a variety of Oak. Water, Live, Post etc. People have few driving skills and don't know the meaning of courteous driving.[:D][:D]

From about !-35 on west you are entering what is referred to as the "hill country" which is dryer (humidity as well as rainfall) lots of open country and starting to get into mesas and what you may all think of as "the Texas portrayed in westerns" better drivers the farther you get from Texas A&M.[:D][:D]

From about San Angelo west I'll let a resident inform you, better known by them.

The further West you go from here the more desert like it is.

If you don't like HOTTER 'N HELL about 8 months out of the year don't show.
    It only gets HOT and HOTTER from Apr.- Nov.

It can be a snow storm in the pan handle while approaching 100 in the Valley on the same day.

Really, most Texans are great, just don't tell 'em "how you done it up north" or back where you came from, they are not interested and would rather "kick your *"[;)]

This is all stereotyping , you understand.[8D]

Sign seen entering Texas..".Welcome to Texas, now leave."

And finally, NO STINKIN LIBS ALLOWED!! Keep your liberal ways and means out of Texas!!!

All this is JMO.[:)]
    edited November -1
    53hawkeye,......hilarious post.[:D]
    I am sure some of that info is for real BTW!

We get to hear how it was all done up north also.[;)]
  • Colt SuperColt Super Member Posts: 31,007
    edited November -1
    While the summer weather is oppressive, the winters in the Fort Worth area are amazingly dangerous.

They shut down the Interstates for some of the most horrific ice storms you can imagine.

If your Mom has any health issues, this is a consideration, because EMS can't get to you even by helicopter, and you can't get to a hospital, even with a solid 4WD. If your Mom has CHF, the heat/humidity can kill her - the humidity even under A/C.

I love the Spring and Fall in that area, and the outdoor sports opportunities are nothing short of astonishing.

I don't invite many, my Friend, but you might take a look at my little corner of OryGun. I was born in Georgia and raised on the coast of Lake Erie, near Cleveland, and have lived almost everywhere else. I've lived all over the world, and I have never seen a nicer climate.

If you would like me to, I'd be happy to send you some documented information about the area.

If you'd like, you can email me at: ThunderboltRanch@gmail.com or call 503-864-2453 24/7.

Best.

Doug
  • peonpeon Member Posts: 2,644 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Check out around Austin. Not in Austin, but somewhere around it. The Hill Country is a beautiful area of Texas.
  • txlawdogtxlawdog Member Posts: 10,039 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    East Texas is beautiful! I lived in Chicago as a child, I wouldn't go back to live if somebody gave me someplace to live! East Texas has tall trees, water, lots of allergies though. Really a great place to live.
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by txlawdog
    East Texas is beautiful! I lived in Chicago as a child, I wouldn't go back to live if somebody gave me someplace to live! East Texas has tall trees, water, lots of allergies though. Really a great place to live.

Are you talking about around Tyler?
    That is where my gut is leading me anyway.
  • peonpeon Member Posts: 2,644 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1

Gotta watch where you go in East Texas. Some of the family trees look like telephone poles![:D]
    edited November -1
    While the summer weather is oppressive, the winters in the Fort Worth area are amazingly dangerous.

They shut down the Interstates for some of the most horrific ice storms you can imagine.

If your Mom has any health issues, this is a consideration, because EMS can't get to you even by helicopter, and you can't get to a hospital, even with a solid 4WD. If your Mom has CHF, the heat/humidity can kill her - the humidity even under A/C.

I love the Spring and Fall in that area, and the outdoor sports opportunities are nothing short of astonishing.

I don't invite many, my Friend, but you might take a look at my little corner of OryGun. I was born in Georgia and raised on the coast of Lake Erie, near Cleveland, and have lived almost everywhere else. I've lived all over the world, and I have never seen a nicer climate.

If you would like me to, I'd be happy to send you some documented information about the area.

If you'd like, you can email me at: ThunderboltRanch@gmail.com or call 503-864-2453 24/7.

Best.

Doug

Doug,.......thanks for the invite to talk.

I am open to anything that meets the requirements I need to go by.
    I just thought it was brutally cold up that way in the winter.

I will undoubtedly call you sometime soon about it.
    Thanks!
  • bountyhunter101bountyhunter101 Member Posts: 149 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Marc, It has been years since I lived in Texas, but spent a lot of time in east Texas around Tyler. It is rolling hills to level & has great lakes for fishing,ie;Lake Fork. Liked west Teaxs around San Angelo & anywhere in the hill country is pretty nice. Just be prepared to be called a Yankee, since your not from Texas & your luck that you weren't Lousiana then you'd be a coonazz...lol.
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by peon

Gotta watch where you go in East Texas. Some of the family trees look like telephone poles![:D]

Why do you think I am asking you folks?[:0][:D]

Austin is a bit too close to the border for my tastes, in case the Mexican government does end up collapsing.

Heck,........if I am worried about that I should stay here in Florida!
  • txlawdogtxlawdog Member Posts: 10,039 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Tyler and Longview area. Really, get an hour east of Dallas anywhere between DFW and Arkansas or Louisiana and you are set! I don't know about South East Texas, as you would have problems still with the bad weather, but this North East Texas is very nice and close enough to what you need to be.

Tyler and Longiew both have great shooting ranges by the way! Tyler and Longview both are about 80K folks in town. Other small towns are around that would be great to move to! Like my brother mentioned, Lindale/Hide A Way Lake area is a great area to live. Great golf, good folks, blue bell ice cream and BBQ!

Quit fussin and pack yer crap and get on down here!

Let us know if you come this way to look around, would be great to get together!
    edited November -1
    Tyler and Longview area. Really, get an hour east of Dallas anywhere between DFW and Arkansas or Louisiana and you are set! I don't know about South East Texas, as you would have problems still with the bad weather, but this North East Texas is very nice and close enough to what you need to be.

Tyler and Longiew both have great shooting ranges by the way! Tyler and Longview both are about 80K folks in town. Other small towns are around that would be great to move to! Like my brother mentioned, Lindale/Hide A Way Lake area is a great area to live. Great golf, good folks, blue bell ice cream and BBQ!

Quit fussin and pack yer crap and get on down here!

Let us know if you come this way to look around, would be great to get together!

Thanks for the info, and the kind invite to get together.
    I am waiting for Old Colts to get back from the show in Denver as I want to talk to him in depth about that area.

Somewhere,........I am going to be buying property soon.
    It's the right time for it, and I have been thinking of this for a number of years.

I also don't care if someone calls me a Yankee for awhile, although I am not. Born a Yankee I guess in WV,......brought to Florida at 3 years old. I qualify as a Floridian now![:D]

If I move,......I am not the type to complain about how things were where I came from. That's what I hear more and more everyday here from the NY transplants.[xx(]
  • proappproapp Member Posts: 3,264
    edited November -1
    a yankee? is that like a quickie you do yourself? secrets out on east texas, might as well come on....got a few lots on a gated private lake thinkin bout trading just west of tyler.
  • MaaloxMaalox Member Posts: 5,155 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Utopia, TX is one of our favorite places and we may retire in that area.

I lived in Houston for a number of years and worked in Southeast TX (Beaumont) for a few years before we moved there. If you want to live in East TX, I would suggest you live more to the South and on one of the lakes. North TX is too cold and has some really bad weather.

I found that people in TX are truely nice. A total stranger will actually help you, not just ignore you like I have found here in my area of Florida. Austin is lib central so stay away from there. But going west from their to the hill country and things change fast. Take a trip to Bandera, Utopia, Leakey, lost maples state park and you may be hooked[:D]

Here you go
    http://www.boycerealty.com/acreage.htm
    Regards, MAALOX
  • COLTCOLT Member Posts: 12,637 ******
    edited November -1
    ...No State income tax, and not likely to ever have one. Sales tax varies from city to city, 7%+ to around 8%...some items are exempt, certain foods etc. Yearly license "plate" (windshield sticker) is about $55 bucks for a full size pickup.

...Property taxes vary too, depending on the value of your property, incorporated area or not, Ag or other exemptions. Overall property taxes are not high, IF your not in one of the BIG cities. Texas is the only, or one of the very few States which usually carries a budget surplus...we seem to be able to hold the politicians to being physically Copnservative or they get booted out of office.

...Gun freindly State as far as being "gun freindly"...shall issue for CHL, good for 5 years and no NICS check w/CHL...no FOID or anything similar...I don't like any of the gun laws, but it is what it is.

...Regardless of Austin being Lib central, Conservative state and people. Austin is of course home to UT, hence all the libs.

...The weather varies greatly, of course the state is about 900 miles X 900 miles, which what accounts for weather extremes.

...The East Texas area, Tyler, is a lot of woods and green pasture, a little "hilly" but mainly gently rolling forest land, lots of dear and everything else. Tornados, hell, I guess you get used to 'em, I just don't pay much attention to 'em...as for as "worrying" about them, respect them when the Weather Service issues a warning, then carry on.

...East Texas sees LITTLE snow or ice, mainly DEEP West Texas, Big Bend Area and North Texas will get snow/ice/sleet from late Oct to early March, IF any.

...Lake Fork is the #1 lake for BIG bass, if you fish, less than an hour from Tyler, but then so are a dozen other great lakes, and you're about 4-5 hours from some great Gulf fishing either in LA. or from Galveston south.

...If you move here, you will soon discover that the "arrogance" others speak of wrongly, is only a VERY strong pride found few other places, that Texans feel for Texas...[;)]

ani-texas-flag-2.gif
  • burdz19burdz19 Member Posts: 4,145
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by COLT
    ...If you move here, you will soon discover that the "arrogance" others speak of wrongly, is only a VERY strong pride found few other places, that Texans feel for Texas...[;)]

ani-texas-flag-2.gif

I wasn't born here but got here as soon as I could [;)][;)]