In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Question for All You Texas Folks............

2»

Comments

• Lonestar86Lonestar86 Member Posts: 130 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    It is beautiful country. You can pick just about any kind of geography you want, desert/praire out west, Hill Country near Austin and San Antonio, Piney Woods of East Texas, Or coastal praire from Beaumont to Brownsville. NO STATE INCOME TAX. Property Taxes are high, sales tax is around 8% state wide, someplaces are 9 some are as low as 7, but the metro areas are pretty much 8.25%.

LAND IS FAIRLY EXPENSIVE.- Expect 3,000 to 15,000 per acre anywhere near a larger city. Cheap land is out west and in the Panhandle.

Gunlaws are liberal, and rugged individualism is the norm. If you don't like the Mexican population you need to look at Deep East TX or the Northern Panhandle, but they are there and growing quickly.

South TX is hunting paradise, the resevoirs in East TX are a fisherman's paradise. Salt Water fishing is outstanding.

Be prepared to pay big money for quality hunting land and/ or leases.

The People are the best sort I have ever been around. Texas is rightly proud.

Last,you will love the BBQ, TEX-MEX, and Crawfish.
  • peonpeon Member Posts: 2,644 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Marc,

Go to this website and send off for a free Texas travel guide and state map.

The travel guide is broken up into the different regions of Texas and lists all the cities and towns in that region with a description of the area. Good luck in your decision.

http://www.traveltex.com
  • lindalecowboylindalecowboy Member Posts: 1,909 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by jeffb1911
    Come check out East Texas. I'm in Lindale, which is a growing city right now, probably about 6.5k or so if we did a census today. My little brother is in the Gregg county area (Longview/Kilgore) and he likes it there. Almost anywhere along either the I20 or I30 corridors would be a good place to live in East Texas. Pick East Texas if you like things like hills and trees! If you happen to come this way let me know, and i'll try to help you find someplace.

"little" brother?????? he's only about twice your size....... hope you don't make him mad, you're liable to get a butt kickin'
  • swampgutswampgut Member Posts: 5,555
    edited November -1
    I used to live in San Angelo and I recommend it for your situation.

It has a very low crime rate(like one murder every two or three years in a city of 100K).

It has a high retiree population, hence it has much quality health care.

The weather is dry and hot in the summer. There are three lakes in town and another, O.H. Ivie, under an hour away.

Very nice people, VERY conservative, very friendly.

There are plenty of Mexicans there but I have found that parts of Texas that have historically had high populations of Mexicans out West are much more civil. Basically, they have always been there and were some of the original Texans(or Texians as we were actually called back then). The problems you have with Mexicans, illegals, is where they haven't historically been.

All the big cities and even the Panhandle where I live now have the lowest of the low Mexicans. Full-on fugitives from justice who will slit your throat for little to nothing tend to be found in higher numbers in cities and the Northern reaches of the state.

I really think San Angelo might be exactly what you need. It's not like Florida at all in the weather/scenery department, though.

You will probably find that East Texas will be more similar to Florida if it's familiarity you are after.

West Texas in places like San Angelo is a really good place to live. The property values are very, very low.

My best friend from high school bought a place about five miles outside San Angelo a few years ago for $165K. It included the following:

1) A little over twenty acres
    2) 2200 sq. ft. house built in the '80's.
    3) Over 200 hundred pecan trees(about 3-6 inches in diameter)
    4) Sprinkler system for said trees
    5) Three wells to water trees and for the home
    6) Metal building approximately 30'X50' on a concrete slab, electric lighting, regular door and garage door(he held his wedding reception there)
    7) Ten dog runs
    8) Fencing around the house for a regular yard for the house dogs
    9) House sits about two hundred yards off the road and neighbors' lots are approximately the same size as his.
    10) You can hardly see the house through the pecan trees and shrubbery around the house from the road.

Like I said, if you want Florida-type weather, East Texas is your best bet and I have heard pretty good things about Tyler.

But, if you don't mind a little desert living, San Angelo is about as good as you are going to get. The city itself is like an oasis with water and greenery galore but the outskirts are mesquite trees, cactus and rattle snakes.

There's also Angelo State University there, Colts pro baseball team and a pro ICE hockey team to boot.

Goodfellow Air Force Base is there as is Bell Helicopter.

I actually hated the place when I was in college but now it appeals more to me once I have matured. It's really not an ideal place for young people but adults can't find much better.

Good Luck.
  • kimikimi Member Posts: 44,719 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Marc1301
    quote:Originally posted by txlawdog
    Tyler and Longview area. Really, get an hour east of Dallas anywhere between DFW and Arkansas or Louisiana and you are set! I don't know about South East Texas, as you would have problems still with the bad weather, but this North East Texas is very nice and close enough to what you need to be.

Tyler and Longiew both have great shooting ranges by the way! Tyler and Longview both are about 80K folks in town. Other small towns are around that would be great to move to! Like my brother mentioned, Lindale/Hide A Way Lake area is a great area to live. Great golf, good folks, blue bell ice cream and BBQ!

Quit fussin and pack yer crap and get on down here!

Let us know if you come this way to look around, would be great to get together!

Thanks for the info, and the kind invite to get together.
    I am waiting for Old Colts to get back from the show in Denver as I want to talk to him in depth about that area.

Somewhere,........I am going to be buying property soon.
    It's the right time for it, and I have been thinking of this for a number of years.

I also don't care if someone calls me a Yankee for awhile, although I am not. Born a Yankee I guess in WV,......brought to Florida at 3 years old. I qualify as a Floridian now![:D]

If I move,......I am not the type to complain about how things were where I came from. That's what I hear more and more everyday here from the NY transplants.[xx(]

Mark you get anywhere in East Texas and you'll be near one or more of my cousins. They are strung out mostly from Houston to North of Beaumont, up through Lufkin, Nacogdoches, on into Longview and Tyler. Since you're a good old southern boy, the term Yank is reserved for Yankees! [:D][^]

On another subject, Old-Colts has parted with some serious dust at the Denver show.
    What's next?
  • JnRockwallJnRockwall Member Posts: 16,350 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Texas state sales tax is 6.25%, this applies to vehicles state wide as well. In cities you can find varying rates to a max of 8.25% on goods. Meaning some cities are unincorporated and they have the state tax rate of 6.25 and then you have Dallas with has public transportation and a tax rate of 8.25%.

I live in Rockwall, and I pay $3000 a year in Property, City, County and School taxes on a $140K house.

As for other cost, My fiance and I spend about $100 week on food, we eat out 2 times a week maybe. My summer ele bill avg around $125 on a 1700 sq ft house. Home owners ins isnt bad, I have $175K coverage including guns for $600 a year. I pay $1200 a year for auto insurance. I have $500 deductible on a 2001 Corvette and a 2006 Chevy truck.

Resident hunting fishing license runs froom $35 to $105 depending on stamps, type 2, tags, federal duck is another $15 i think. If you are planning on living for 10 years or longer, drop the $1000 for lifetime hunt and fish. it will pay off in no time. I have heard many many outsiders say how expensive texas is, and property wise land is outrageous. But depends where you come from. People from california nearly cry when they arrive because they got those big checks from their house and they can buy twice the house for half the money here.

I would suggest finding something is East Texas. I would say from Alba south to Centerville. Somewhere out that way.
  • txlawdogtxlawdog Member Posts: 10,039 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Lindale, I can't whup him too bad, I still have to get good deals from him! (Not that being kin helps). Plus, he'll tell Momma!
  • shootlowshootlow Member Posts: 5,425
    edited November -1
    oops sorry were full [;)]
    come on down but try to look at not getting a place in a county that has a lake get one next to it the taxes on land are usally higher in the countys with the lake
    Brown County has high taxes because of the lake
  • tazzertazzer Member Posts: 16,837
    edited November -1
    got a sister that lives in Tyler and I live in a little town called Omaha here in east texas close to Mt.Pleasant tx and love it
    it cost me 1500 ac for my 9ac that was about 4years ago and cost me about 1900 for city water to be put in,
    I was paying close to 900.00 for my taxs untill I put it under homestead
    now they are about 360.00 thats all of of them.
    I live in the country and the small town is has about 900 folks in it
    I would not have it any other way [:D][:D]
  • proappproapp Member Posts: 3,264
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by tazzer
    got a sister that lives in Tyler and I live in a little town called Omaha here in east texas close to Mt.Pleasant tx and love it
    it cost me 1500 ac for my 9ac that was about 4years ago and cost me about 1900 for city water to be put in,
    I was paying close to 900.00 for my taxs untill I put it under homestead
    now they are about 360.00 thats all of of them.
    I live in the country and the small town is has about 900 folks in it
    I would not have it any other way [:D][:D]

ever go to cajun cowboy, put a dollar in my jukebox, thnks
  • Ox190Ox190 Member Posts: 2,782 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Maalox hit the nail on the head. I was born and raised here in Texas and if I ever was going to buy land to retire somewhere that would be it. It's in the hill country and has some of the prettiest parts of Texas. East Texas/Tyler area isn't too bad but there is a lot of trash out that way. My dad lives in Mineola just north of Tyler and it's a beautiful area but some of the people are a little too backwoods for me.
  • MaxOHMSMaxOHMS Member Posts: 14,715
    edited November -1
    What kinda trees do you like--Oaks, Pines?
    Consider rainfall and soil type if you want to grow a good garden. (East Texas has alot more water).
    The Hill Country has been my home for purtnear a half century. I love it here.
    I just learned today another Gun Show is coming to Austin (monthly- 1st Weekend), giving me two a month, and three most months
    within an hour of me, including a couple of small-town shows.

....just a few more things to consider.
  • mechman460mechman460 Member Posts: 183 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Well I can tell you Houston isnt the greatest place. But they have the best medical care next to Boston Mass. Land is cheap and but sales tax where I am is around 8%. I live about an hour north of Houston. The guns stores are pretty good out here, they are all over the place. The illegal's are everywhere in my town, but you go an hour north and you never see them. They stay in an area where there is work (labor lots). Lots where people can drive up and say "three guys to do yard work for $5 an hour". If I had to recommend an area I would suggest Montgomery, North West Conroe, Willis, and parts of Walker County. Not a liberal area by any means. Liberal areas are mostly centered around Austin. Gas is usually cheaper here than most other places in the country. Food is great and there is Lake Conroe right down the road with good fishing. If you have any other questions feel free to contact me I will find out what ever you need.
  • Colt SuperColt Super Member Posts: 31,007
    edited November -1
    I spent some time in Houston.

Even back then, I couldn't handle the mind-drenching humidity.

Love the seafood, though !!

Doug
  • Marc1301Marc1301 Member Posts: 31,895 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Wow,.....thanks for all of the info folks!
    Just to answer some of the questions people have wondered about:

The area of Florida I live in is Marion county. I am on the western outskirts of Ocala. The land here is quite "rolling" with some grades that you have to ride your brakes to stay under the speed limit. The local LEO's like to set up at the bottom of those hills![:0]

We have pines here, but many more oaks of several different varieties. My property is covered in old live oaks that are quite large,.....no pines around me though.

It gets fairly cold here at times in the winter, and this year we had quite a few nights in the upper teens with long, hard freezes. Spring and fall is absolutely beautiful, and the only bad months to me are July through September. Looks like the heat is hitting earlier this year, so June will probably be added in!
    It's usually in the 90's then, but what makes those months so bad is the humidity. We will get plenty of days in the 100's when the heat index is figured in. Lets say I hate humidity worse than anything.

We have all 4 seasons here, and I hope to keep that. Prior to 1991, I lived in S. Florida and you were lucky if you got half a dozen days that you could even wear a sweatshirt, or sweater,,..........forget about needing a jacket. I NEVER want to live in a place like that again.

Yep,......I am a Conservative, and I don't want to live around a bunch of Libs by any means. I love to fish, but don't really hunt anymore. Who knows,......in a new place where you don't have to take your life in your hands to do it, I may take it up again.

The state tax here is 6%, and the counties add on a "surcharge". Here it is only .5% for 6.5% total. Property taxes are really high here, and homeowners insurance is expensive as well,.....assuming you can even find a company that will cover you. My vehicle tag runs about 75 bucks a year for my Chevy Avalanche, and vehicle insurance runs me about $800.00 a year for 250/500/100 coverage, with matching limits on uninsured motorists.
    Florida makes up the rest through gas taxes, and half a dozen BS taxes added to everything from your power bill to phones, and cable/satellite, etc. They tax you slowly to death here with hundreds of "little" taxes.

BTW,....I don't have an issue with Hispanics in general as long as they are legal citizens, and are law-abiding,.....but I don't really want to feel like I moved to Mexico, or South America either![:0][:D]

If it wasn't for what I see slowly taking place here, I would not even be thinking of leaving,.....BUT, it is happening, and will continue to happen until it will be like living in S. Florida again.
    The population I cited of around 350,000 is for the entire county, and it is a fairly large one. We are certainly not a metropolis here, nor do I want to live in a place like that. Orlando and Tampa are between an hour and a half to 2 hours south of me, and I wouldn't live in either place if someone gave me a free house.
    There are many nice areas, and developments there, but just too much garbage takes place, plus the traffic is a nightmare.

Did I say I also hate congested traffic?[}:)][:D]
    Once again, I appreciate all of the info so far!
    "Beam me up Scotty, there's no intelligent life down here." - William Shatner
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by mechman460
    Well I can tell you Houston isnt the greatest place. But they have the best medical care next to Boston Mass. Land is cheap and but sales tax where I am is around 8%. I live about an hour north of Houston. The guns stores are pretty good out here, they are all over the place. The illegal's are everywhere in my town, but you go an hour north and you never see them. They stay in an area where there is work (labor lots). Lots where people can drive up and say "three guys to do yard work for $5 an hour". If I had to recommend an area I would suggest Montgomery, North West Conroe, Willis, and parts of Walker County. Not a liberal area by any means. Liberal areas are mostly centered around Austin. Gas is usually cheaper here than most other places in the country. Food is great and there is Lake Conroe right down the road with good fishing. If you have any other questions feel free to contact me I will find out what ever you need.

Thanks for that info, but I have a cousin that lived in Houston for years. Her husband worked for Exxon at the time.
    They said the humidity was way worse than Florida,......which I find hard to be possible, but that is what they said.

Also too close to the coast and the big storms when they head that way. I really want to be further inland than I am right now.
  • MaaloxMaalox Member Posts: 5,155 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1

Thanks for that info, but I have a cousin that lived in Houston for years. Her husband worked for Exxon at the time.
    They said the humidity was way worse than Florida,......which I find hard to be possible, but that is what they said.

Also too close to the coast and the big storms when they head that way. I really want to be further inland than I am right now.

I lived in Houston for 8 years and have been here in Tampa, FL for close to five. Believe your cousins when they say Houston humidity is worse than here. We get the rains everyday here in FL which cool things off. Doesn't happen every day in Houston and it only gets hotter as you move North towards DFW. I would move back to Houston without hesitation, but the weather in FL is more temperate than that in Houston.

Take a week or so off and make a trip out there. You will know pretty quickly which areas may fit your personality.
    Regards, MAALOX
  • lindalecowboylindalecowboy Member Posts: 1,909 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I moved to Texas in 1997 from Razorback country. I live in east Texas (one of the regions they've broken Texas into called the Piney woods). Pretty land, lots of trees, some water, nice folks, even hear of a few jobs still around. I like the "no state income tax" but I also pay a lot more for property taxes now. Sales tax is not unreasonable, comparatively speaking of course, land values are good but lots of folks find they sell a $250,000 house in Calif or high northlands and move to Texas and buy the same size house for half that.

We're not leaving any time soon, plus got 4 grandkids in the area now.

happy hunting.
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Maalox

I lived in Houston for 8 years and have been here in Tampa, FL for close to five. Believe your cousins when they say Houston humidity is worse than here. We get the rains everyday here in FL which cool things off. Doesn't happen every day in Houston and it only gets hotter as you move North towards DFW. I would move back to Houston without hesitation, but the weather in FL is more temperate than that in Houston.

Take a week or so off and make a trip out there. You will know pretty quickly which areas may fit your personality.

Maalox,......I looked at your post from way back.
    Looks a bit too desolate for my needs.

I really believe I would like the eastern part the best. I'm not used to the desert look.

Since we are talking about Texas,..............[:D]
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jv5OXw5scok&feature=related
  • xstuntmanxstuntman Member Posts: 678 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I live close to San Angelo and the crime rate has slowly gone up within the last year. To much ice manufacture has started up and of course the Mexican Mafia, Bloods and Aryan (*?) Brotherhood followed. A murder a year was normal but within the last ten months its up to five I believe. It's still a good place to retire from somewhere else compared to the bigger cities. Deer hunting is fantastic btw and the city has two big hospitals.

A co-worker just moved to Angelo from Houston to get away from the crazies and his stories would make you carry more than one. I'm thinking even Somali pirates wouldn't go to Houston. X
    edited November -1
    I prefer an abundance of sunny days with a clear sky and high humidity over an abundance of cloud covered days with little sunshine and cold weather. What I liked about growing up in the south is that one could literally sleep like a baby outdoors under the stars with nothing more than a blanket to lie on, and only a light blanket to cover with when it gets a bit chilly.
    What's next?
  • 2rugers2rugers Member Posts: 3 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Central Texas would be my suggestion for you Mark.
    Right around the Waco, Temple, killeen I-35 corridor. Has that just right feel with everything close enough but with plenty of good land within less than an hour.
  • ATHOMSONATHOMSON Member Posts: 3,399 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I would go with central Texas. Hico, Hamilton, Goldthwaite, Zephyr, Dublin. Quite a bit of land, but still not too far off of the beaten path. Hunting is good as is the weather.

AT
  • Ox190Ox190 Member Posts: 2,782 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Belton/Temple area is definitely nice too.
  • Old-ColtsOld-Colts Member Posts: 22,697 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I am waiting for Old Colts to get back from the show in Denver as I want to talk to him in depth about that area.Hey Marc, we're back from the Denver show, so if you want to give me a call I think you still have our number. If not, E-mail me and I'll give it to you! If you are looking to be near medical, Tyler would be hard to beat with our three major Hospitals here and many specialty clinics. You missed the last buildable piece of land in our particular area; it was 5 acres next to us.

If you want to visit and look the area over, our room rates are the best in town! [;)]

If you can't feel the music; it's only pink noise!

edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Old-Colts
    I am waiting for Old Colts to get back from the show in Denver as I want to talk to him in depth about that area.Hey Marc, we're back from the Denver show, so if you want to give me a call I think you still have our number. If not, E-mail me and I'll give it to you! If you are looking to be near medical, Tyler would be hard to beat with our three major Hospitals here and many specialty clinics. You missed the last buildable piece of land in our particular area; it was 5 acres next to us.

If you want to visit and look the area over, our room rates are the best in town! [;)]

O-C,.....yes I still have your number.
    I will give you a ring as soon as I get the time. Paperwork, and phone calls all day while it has been raining here, have wiped my phone batteries out for the day!

Kimi has insinuated that you now have a lower net worth,.....could that be true?[:0][:D]

Hope ya got something good![;)]
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Old-Colts

O-C,.....yes I still have your number.
    I will give you a ring as soon as I get the time. Paperwork, and phone calls all day while it has been raining here, have wiped my phone batteries out for the day!

Kimi has insinuated that you now have a lower net worth,.....could that be true?[:0][:D]

Hope ya got something good![;)]Hey Marc, call when it is convenient; I'm headed out now to do some trimming in preparation for mowing tomorrow!

Yep, if kimi's definition of "my net worth" is based on discretionary funds, he's right! However, my Single Action investment has realized a nice gain! [:D][:D]

If I hadn't shown some restraint, those discretionary funds would have been much lower! [:0]

edited November -1
    [:D][:D][:D]

Pictuires! Pictures! [:D]
    What's next?
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by kimi
    [:D][:D][:D]

Pictuires! Pictures! [:D]Coming soon to a theater near you!! [:D]

• sig232sig232 Member Posts: 8,018
    edited November -1
    I love Oregon, none of the humidity of Florida or Texas, but very warm summers. No Bugs, no Gators, no snakes but alas, liberals. Yup...we got um and we need some of you gun totin conservatives to move up here to give us a hand keeping them under control.

Our winters are very mild. Temps in the 40-50 range and an occasional snow but snow is rare and only sticks for a day or two usually. Its rare to get freezing temps on the Portland/Salem side of the Mountains.

Lots of rain, you have to like rain and green. If you like desert you can go to eastern Oregon and you have Hotter summers and colder winters. Serious snow is up in the Mountains if you like to ski and play with the snowmobiles.

No sales tax but the income tax is 9%. Electric power is provided by dams on the Columbia river and is still reasonable. Heating bills are reasonable in the winter and air conditioning is needed about 4 weeks out of the summer.

We have a huge land mass of hills, Mts, valleys, tons of trees and only about 4+ million people in the whole place. It is indeed Gods country. But....lots of rain, thats what keeps it green.

Hunting until the cows come home. Deer, Elk, Black Bear, Cougar, Antelope and ugly hippy women displaced from northern California.

Come on up for a visit Marc and Doug and I will show you around.
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by sig232
    I love Oregon, none of the humidity of Florida or Texas, but very warm summers. No Bugs, no Gators, no snakes but alas, liberals. Yup...we got um and we need some of you gun totin conservatives to move up here to give us a hand keeping them under control.

Our winters are very mild. Temps in the 40-50 range and an occasional snow but snow is rare and only sticks for a day or two usually. Its rare to get freezing temps on the Portland/Salem side of the Mountains.

Lots of rain, you have to like rain and green. If you like desert you can go to eastern Oregon and you have Hotter summers and colder winters. Serious snow is up in the Mountains if you like to ski and play with the snowmobiles.

No sales tax but the income tax is 9%. Electric power is provided by dams on the Columbia river and is still reasonable. Heating bills are reasonable in the winter and air conditioning is needed about 4 weeks out of the summer.

We have a huge land mass of hills, Mts, valleys, tons of trees and only about 4+ million people in the whole place. It is indeed Gods country. But....lots of rain, thats what keeps it green.

Hunting until the cows come home. Deer, Elk, Black Bear, Cougar, Antelope and ugly hippy women displaced from northern California.

Come on up for a visit Marc and Doug and I will show you around.

I appreciate the invite, and had actually planned on calling Doug.
    You just shed light on 3 very bad things for me, and my plans.

First, I am used to lots of sunshine, and I hate it when it is overcast for days or weeks on end. Also I like to be outside, and rain all the time would be a bummer for me. Sounds a bit like Seattle?

Second,.....that is a monster of a state income tax![:0]
    Between what the Feds take, and then adding in another 9% would not be good for my acid reflux.

Thirdly,.....I am making plans to leave Florida, largely because of the liberal influence that is slowly encroaching here. Kind of like jumping out of the frying pan, and into the fire![8D]

I have seen some pics from up that way, and there is a lot of beautiful country for sure. Would be nice to be so close to the Pacific too. Don't know that it would be the right place for me though.

Glad to see you posting again sig232,.....wondered what happened to ya!
  • 2rugers2rugers Member Posts: 3 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Yep Athomson, thats me, right at the edge of hamilton county, population 8,000 for the whole county but only a short drive from the really big metros of Waco,Temple and Killeen.
    As far as hospitals go no better in the country than Scott and White.