In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Nov. 1, 1984

Comments

• Options
    RobOzRobOz Member Posts: 9,523 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by NeoBlackdog
    quote:Originally posted by Alan Rushing

NeoBlackdog - Thanks for the thoughtful reminder and the sage advice, appreciated. [^]

You're welcome. Most folks on here strike me as responsible folks, but a little reminder now and then never hurts.

It can not be said enough.
  • Options
    discusdaddiscusdad Member Posts: 11,419 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    statistically speaking, the most hunting accidents are caused by the "older" hunters who were deemed proficient enough by age to not need a hunter safety course
  • Options
    Ditch-RunnerDitch-Runner Member Posts: 24,603 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    sorry for the loss of your friend , can not imagine ,

I gave up hunting years ago , myself ( or my family ) do not own any land ( large enough ) to hunt on .
    I use to go with co-works who were farmers so it was on private land . also a couple times hunting with a friend who belonged to a hunting club all private land.
    I went pheasant hunting once on public land 1st day of the season , never again ,
  • Options
    mogley98mogley98 Member Posts: 18,297 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I hate reading about someone "hunting" and shooting someone.
    I've never met a single human being that looked like a deer, elk, moose, duck, or any other game animal.

How can you shoot at a sound and have any clue what the hell it is?

Thanks for the reminder that we all need to be safe and if you teach someone to hunt for people's sake teach them right.

even if some idiot wore a antler helmet they should NEVEr end up shot, I don't shoot at anything I can't POSITIVELY identify.

And of as far as the IDIOTS who have posted their stories about shooting back at people or trucks you suck and should not own firearms IMHO you are no better actually far worse. For the truck shooter how did you know the guy didn't have a kid asleep in the back whole your fantastic shooting strikes only the gas tank? For our 1911 aimed at a 45 degree angle guy who knows where your rounds went, and for our SKS menace god help us all. I'm ashamed at you all.
    Why don't we go to school and work on the weekends and take the week off!
  • Options
    bigoutsidebigoutside Member Posts: 19,443
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by NeoBlackdog
    BTT
    Be careful out there!
    Know beyond the shadow of a doubt what you're shooting at!

Amen brother.
  • Options
    OakieOakie Member Posts: 40,519 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Great reminder. My friend Curry May, a retired NJ state trooper was shot in the back of the head by a young hunter on opening day of rabbit season many years ago. Luckily it was from a far distance and curry was not injured too bad. Some minor pellet wounds only about 1/4" deep.The young man was illegally shooting at a turkey that flew up in front of him. He did not press charges because he didn't want the 15 year old boy to have a criminal record and ruin his life, but man did he get a * chewing that he will never forget. Please be careful and always remember to be sure of your target and beyond.
  • Options
    retroxler58retroxler58 Member Posts: 32,693 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    For over forty years I've shied away from Public Hunting Lands for the sole reason that the world is full of careless people.

NeoBlackdog... Your story while very sad, sadly, isn't remarkable.
    I've heard this similar story way too many times and fear I've not heard the last one.

My heart goes out to the fallen hunters over the years who never made it home from the hunt.

Thanks for the reminder... [V]
    I only wish it weren't so sadly necessary.
  • Options
    footlongfootlong Member Posts: 8,009
    edited November -1
    l quit bear hunting in 1991 after 3 seasons in Pennsylvania's Potter County public lands..Every year l went l was stopped at least once a day by Pa Game wardens wanting to check my gun ,tags, and truck..Last time got stopped they mentioned my out-of-state plates.. l told them right then and there this was the ''l a s t -- t I m e'' l would ever be checked by them..[:(!] l turned my truck towards Pittsburgh,picked up my family and have not been back to Pennsylvania..l have hunted many other states since then--- But always on private land. No more Pennsylvania Public Lands for me [^] 0r any other public lands
  • Options
    JnRockwallJnRockwall Member Posts: 16,350 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Why on Gods green earth would anyone hunt with an auto loader.

I am in the blind now and in the sw i hear what i think is an idiot with an ar and slide fie. 3 shots
  • Options
    JnRockwallJnRockwall Member Posts: 16,350 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1

I am in the blind now and in the sw i hear what i think is an idiot with an ar and slide fie. 3 shots
  • Options
    NeoBlackdogNeoBlackdog Member Posts: 16,689 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by JnRockwall

If that's what he likes to use, fine. As long as he's safe about it.
    It's not the firearm that kills, it's the jerk on the trigger.
  • Options
    joker5656joker5656 Member Posts: 5,598 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    People should be jailed for that crap.
  • Options
    grumpygygrumpygy Member Posts: 53,466
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by rong
    gunnut 505 -you should be arrested
    for attempted murder and I cannot believe
    the game warden didn't do his job and arrest you.

The sound shot guy had no malicious intentions
    as terribly wrong as it was but you
    tried to kill him.

Either this is a manufactured story or
    you're posting from jail.

Guess I should be arrested too. I did not shoot the guy shooting at me but filled his truck fuel tank with 9MM. This would have been86/87 and in Oregon.
  • Options
    fishkiller41fishkiller41 Member Posts: 50,608
    edited November -1
    My brother was shot with an Ithica featherlite Model 37? I believe,at 5 YARDS while quail hunting. He,myself and a kid I will call Timmy.(cuz that's his name). We were hunting a gully about 20 yds wide,I was zig zaging one side,my bro.was ziging on theother side and Timmy was zigging the bottom.
    Had to be a thousand coveys in that ravine.We were damn near limited out when a covy jumped at the boottom,they all flew strait away from us,except one.Timmy followed it back around and POW,he shot my brother.
    20 Ga.hi brass#6 shot.Main pattern got him dead center of the chest,none went through his Carharts with heavy jacket underneath.
    Stray pellets is what f'd my brother up.2 in the head,one in the corner of his eye and 3 in his R hand.We measured and some went a full 1/4" inch into the walnut stock of his identical 20 ga.
    Barry is fine now ,never lost his eyesight. Timmy threw down his gun and never picked it back up.just walked away from it.

SOit don't have to be shooting at noises,we all need to be at the top of awareness when carrying loaded guns of any kind.
    Sorry bout the long post.
    PS> I was using a 12ga. and Timmy came very close to dying that morning. By my hand.[V]
  • Options
    Dads3040Dads3040 Member Posts: 13,552 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    A great reminder of a terrible tragedy that can happen if someone forgets what a firearm does.

Sorry for your friend and those who loved him, Steve.
  • Options
    Big Sky RedneckBig Sky Redneck Member Posts: 19,752 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Where we live we are bordered in two sides by public land however access to those lands is restricted to one public access point as the roads inside the development are private making access from our place pricate access. This area used to be open to rifle hunting but is now weapon restricted to shotgun, muzzleloader and straight walled handgun only. There is a large herd of elk that runs through there, they criss the stage lands and hole up on the private ranch that we corner. When I say large herd I mean large herd, I have posted pics of them here before, that herd numbers in th hundreds meaning when the full herd is there it may number close to 500 head of elk. Many residents in nonresidents from neighboring counties and states knows this herd is there and bank on filling thier tags right there without having to "hunt". For us, buying that house has it's perks of being a landowner in that development which is the best access to that herd is private and only development residents may access from development roads, all others must hike from the parking area. Our property is that last house on the road we live on, one other person has property beyond our driveway but does not live there and does not hunt.

Every year we are bombarded by road hunters who cruise the road we live on, drive past our house to the deadend and park on our property to get close to the elk. It is a fight every year to keep people out. We have had them drive up and shoot hail mary shots into the herd trying to move it close to the highway, shooting across our property beside the house and livestock.

The area used to be rifle accepted but that changed not long ago, that state land has houses alongside of it and the herd almost always ends up between the "shooters" and the houses. Several houses were shot including ours, the original owner showed us where the house and shop were hit with bullets. The state outlawed rifles there.

It isnt any better, when these people see that elk herd there they are blinded by blood lust, they don't see nor care about the houses and horses nor the residents living there. They trespass in the private roads, shoot at/towards houses, jump fences, shoot into the herd to move it closer to the road and take rediculous shots with shotguns hoping to wound/slow down and elk so they can get close enough for the kill.

You see one of my biggest reasons for leaving PA was the slob city slickers that come every year and ruin deer season for those of us who lived there claiming tnis thier right to overrrun state lands and do as they please. The last time I took my kids hunting some yahoos from Allentown unloaded on a doe at near dark that we jumped up on the way back to the parking lot and the Allentown goons were in the parking lot. I called the warden who stopped and questioned them but no arrests were made since nobody was hurt and even though they shot after legal shooting hours there was no proof. I will never step into PA woods again, private or public because of the mentality of the bug city slobs.

Moved to Montana and thought we were in better company, I was wrong as there are stupid goon hunters everywhere. When the elk show up people go into full stupid mode and do whatever it takes, legal or not to get an elk. When we went into the Gravelys last weekend we drove to high places and glassed with spottng scopes for elk. We walked several miles of woods hoping to find elk, we tried but was unsuccessful. However we saw tons of people in pickups, 4 wheelers and those side by side sport buggies road hunting, riding with guns in hand driving through the wooded areas with eyes wide open. I know a road hunter when I see one, in PA was hunting is very very commin and you learn how to spot them.

So yeah, I know all about the slob hunters and thankfully I've never been shot but these people are slowly turning me into an anti hunter. I love deer and other wild game but the ever so common actions of those around me drive me away more and more each year causing me to hunt less and less and like I said, making me turn into an anti hunter. Not an animal rights activist but just anti hunting.

Our house is a blessing because of the abundance of game there, living there and having access to that game is a perk. But at the same time, it is a curse, it's a curse because of how others act when the game is there. Part of me wishes they would close that area off to hunting all together, I will stop hunting with a gun and start using my camera at the house. It's just rediculous what goes on there during hunting season.
  • Options
    OakieOakie Member Posts: 40,519 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Was shot one time from a great distance, duck hunting with my cousins. Did not penetrate my heavy jacket, but pissed me off enough to confront the kids. My friend, Curry May, a Retired NJ state trooper, was shot in the head by a 15 year old kid, trying to shoot a turkey, during rabbit season. He got a stern talking to and Curry got a trip to the hospital. Later that day, the same kid shot a passing car near the same field and was arrested, charged and lost his hunting privileges and guns for life. Be sure of your target and beyond.Oakie
  • Options
    notnownotnow Member Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I live at the crest of a valley. The land in the valley was open to hunting by anyone. There was always a crowd of people lining the road on the opposite side from my property. The road angled downhill. One morning during deer season I was walking out of the house to hunt. I heard a shot from down in the valley followed by the bullet buzzing right over my head. Some kid shot at some doe. I hit the ground and was pissed. I stopped the next truck that came up from down there and past my place and told them what happened. I made my displeasure obvious. I didn't hear an apology. I called the Pa Game Commission about it. They were out there, off and on, the rest of that season. Those guys didn't come back next year either. The thing about it is every time someone near me would shoot, I'd flinch hard. I was like that for the next couple years.
  • Options
    wiplashwiplash Member Posts: 7,146 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I think someones calendar is wrong!

Last post say's 11/01/2015
    There is no such thing as Liberal Men, only Liberal Women with Penises.'
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by wiplash
    I think someones calendar is wrong!

Last post say's 11/01/2015

Check the date of the first post. I bring it back every year on this day.
  • Options
    He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 50,964 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Years ago hunting rabbits on private land where I was the only person with permission to hunt, I heard a zing in the sumac and a crack. I squatted, waited for movement and put a broadhead into the tree about 3 feet from the shooter. He left rather quickly.

Sorry for the loss of your friend NeoBlackdog, I have missed this thread for the last 5 years.
  • Options
    guntech59guntech59 Member Posts: 23,187 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thank you for the sad reminder.

I am probably over cautious as I teach my boys how to be a safe hunter.
  • Options
    retroxler58retroxler58 Member Posts: 32,693 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Yes... VERY sad reminder of tragically a very real occurrence.

PLEASE, if you hunt be absolutely sure of your target AND beyond.
    Don't take pot shots and make damn sure a miss or pass thru has the means to be stopped.

Carelessness isn't an accident, it's a decease that those who are afflicted, can cure themselves before any careless event occurs.
  • Options
    pulsarncpulsarnc Member Posts: 6,266 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Always been lucky enough to hunt on private ,family owned lands .There are no large public lands very close by .A few 60 or 70 miles away .I remember the Delly Wade story very well Always thought the Kershaw story was a class act .
    cry Havoc and let slip  the dogs of war..... 
  • Options
    montanajoemontanajoe Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 58,062 ******
    edited November -1
    RIP Del.
    May this reminder serve well and prevent accidents.
  • Options
    gartmangartman Member Posts: 660 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Have always hunted public land and never seen anything like some of the stories related here. Have to wonder why it is assumed bad hunters are only found on public land.
  • Options
    edited November 2020
    BTT
    Know what you're shooting at!!!
  • Options
    Mid-day bump...
  • Options
    susiesusie Member Posts: 7,304 ✭✭✭✭

Hopefully those who need to see this pay heed to it. Beginning first part of October, 1.5 months before modern firearms season i start wearing blaze orange when I venture into the woods to include a hat or cap. With my white hair I fear some * poacher might mistake my head for a flash of flag.

Thinking I may need to spray paint orange stripes on my goats. I have never fired a shot without verification of target. I preach this to my kids so they will never regret any shots.

• Options
    mogley98mogley98 Member Posts: 18,297 ✭✭✭✭
    Great hunting season reminder for anyone. I also can't imagine someone shooting at a noise or unidentified shape, even in a defensive situation one would hope to know what/who you are shooting at.
    RIP Mr. Officer and prayers that every hunter is safer this year.

Why don't we go to school and work on the weekends and take the week off!
  • Options
    kannoneerkannoneer Member Posts: 3,364 ✭✭✭✭
    Let's be careful out there!
  • Options
    allen griggsallen griggs Member Posts: 35,257 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2020
    Interesting thread from long ago.  Half the guys who posted are gone.

I was a paramedic in central Georgia, we were based at a hospital.  The ER called, we had to transfer a patient to the big hospital in Macon Georgia.
    The patient was a 72 year old deer hunter.  He had been out hunting with a college boy, they were at opposite ends of a 200 yard wide field, hunting in tree stands.
    At dusk the older guy got out of the stand and was walking back towards the truck.  The kid saw movement and fired.  Hit the guy in the thigh with a 7mm mag.

College boy loaded the guy up and hauled * to our little country hospital.  My hospital couldn't handle it so decided the EMS would take him to Macon.  Turned out the Medical Center in Macon couldn't handle it either.
    Little bitty purple entrance wound on the front of the thigh, about 1/3 inch in diameter, looked like somebody had taken an old #2 pencil and dipped the eraser in ink and made a dab on the front of the thigh.
    The bullet had hit the femur, the thigh bone, and blew it to bits.  Seven inches of the femur were just gone, blown into a hundred fragments.    I saw lots of GSW xrays and I had never seen one like that.    The exit wound was huge, you could have stuffed a loaf of bread in there.

I was attending,  the pt was conscious and alert but he was fading.   I had a nurse along and we were hanging blood IVs.
    Got him over to Macon, in a few days they had to amputate his leg.
    This guy, I talked to him in the back of the truck and he was in the Airborne and had jumped into Normandy on the early morning of D Day.  He had never been wounded before.
  • Options
    mohawk600mohawk600 Member Posts: 5,376 ✭✭✭✭
    You guys are missing the point..............accidents happen. To avoid an accidental shooting of a person............ALWAYS IDENTIFY YOUR TARGET..............do not get the hunter "adrenaline rush" and shoot at movement. If you can't see that you are shooting a deer/elk/bear....etc. Just PASS ON THE SHOT. 
  • Options
    mohawk600 said:
    You guys are missing the point..............accidents happen. To avoid an accidental shooting of a person............ALWAYS IDENTIFY YOUR TARGET..............do not get the hunter "adrenaline rush" and shoot at movement. If you can't see that you are shooting a deer/elk/bear....etc. Just PASS ON THE SHOT. 
    Bingo!
  • Options
    edited November 2021

I brought this back a day earlier than I normally do after reading Dpmule's thread about the Colorado hunter. Dammit, folks, it's not that tough to wait and positively identify your target!!!

• Options
    Horse Plains DrifterHorse Plains Drifter Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 39,406 ***** Forums Admin

Exactly, if it costs you a shot at a trophy/nice deer/elk/moose/bear/caribou/whatever, so be it.

• Options
  • Options
    dpmuledpmule Member Posts: 6,653 ✭✭✭✭

Thanks NBD for reposting and reminding.

Mule

• Options

Be careful out there.

• Options
    bullshotbullshot Member Posts: 14,356 ✭✭✭✭

What happened on that date?