In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Accidental discharge

calrugerfancalrugerfan Member Posts: 18,209
edited December 2011 in General Discussion
Just saw on the news tonite, in our little town,Sonora a correctional officer(sargent)was adjusting his CCW holster while sitting in the theater and it went off. Went through seat and into floor. One fellow claimed to have been hit by shrapenel. Bet it was a glock

Comments

• Options
    edited November -1
    Good reason to make sure your firearm is securly holstered--He was hit in the leg and this guy may be charged with reckless endangerment as well by the DA. I would bet the guy just had it tucked into his jacket or pants pocket and it fell out--also a reason not to just tuck your gun into your waistband like some tv gumshoe[;)]. http://blog.seattlepi.com/seattle911/archives/186225.asp
  • Options
    edited November -1
    It happens. To me, over the years, twice. An A. D. worth laughing over.

My friend, moving, asked me to store his guns at our house for a week or so. I did not know the moron stores all guns loaded. My wife had not gotten home from work, her folks were visiting us there in Arizona, from Indiana- they were staunch liberal anti-gun types.

In the dimly-lit closet of our bedroom, holding the friend's .22 semi-auto rifle, probably something like a Glenfield, I looked through the ejection port, saw a round in the chamber, so racked the slide back & forth probably 5 or 6 times, but could not see well enough that the round did not eject. Gun pointing upward at ceiling, pulled trigger, BOOM! I set the rifle down, even a .22LR is pretty loud in a house, went out to living room, to face the music.

The 2 of them sitting side-by-side on the couch, staring at the wall, as if unseeing, said nothing; it was as though they were frozen in place. I started to explain, but gave up.

They feared guns, knew little about them, except how evil they are, and evidently were scared half to death! Lucky I didn't bust out laughing, because facing the wife's wrath after they told her about it was bad enough!

Lesson learned. Gun had a damaged extractor.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    No, I didn't have one. Never have.

I was talking to my great uncle after a funeral yesterday and we were talking about guns (he's a retired cop). I don't know how we got on the subject, but we ended up talking about ADs. He said there are two types of gun owners, those that have HAD an AD, and those that WILL.

I looked at him a little confused and he told me that he has had one. He was cleaning his revolver and when he was done, he would dry fire it just to make sure that everything was functioning properly. He put one round in the cylinder then realized that he hadn't dry fired. He closed the cylinder and of course it lined up on the loaded chamber and BOOM, through the wall.

I was genuinely shocked. Before I ever pull the trigger, I clear the gun, even I just handled it 2 minutes earlier and I "know" its empty.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    For all the people who say there is no such thing as an accidental discharge I would disagree. Shot and Killed my Dads TV tday while looking at an old defective pistol. Just so you guys know, laptop cmputer screens are not the only bullet proof screens. Dads TV worked like a bullet trap and once the bullet entered the glass on front it never came out.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    https://www.aviation24.be/military-aircraft/belgian-air-component/air-force-f-16-destroyed-maintenance-collateral-damage-second/

A good reminder of why you treat every gun as if it was loaded, and keep the booger hook of the bang switch.
  • Options
    TxsTxs Member Posts: 18,801
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by calrugerfan
    Before I ever pull the trigger, I clear the gun, even I just handled it 2 minutes earlier and I "know" its empty.So do a lot of those people who have AD's. [;)]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Txs
    Before I ever pull the trigger, I clear the gun, even I just handled it 2 minutes earlier and I "know" its empty.So do a lot of those people who have AD's. [;)]

Obviously they don't do it EVERY time. If they did, they wouldn't have an AD.
  • Options
    reloader44magreloader44mag Member Posts: 18,783 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I never dry fire a gun
  • Options
    topdadtopdad Member Posts: 3,408 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'v not yet had a gun fire when I was not intending for it to.
    I also don't believe I ever will, although I am human, and we
    are prone to flaw. There is also the posibility of mechanical
    failure.
  • Options
    n/an/a Member Posts: 168,427
    edited November -1
    Negligent discharge, not accidental.
  • Options
    bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I had an AD with a 1911 while chambering a round thirty years ago. It went through the lip edge of a ammo can stuffed full of loose 45's, through a 3/4" thick piece of plywood, through the floor of the van and left a hell of a big dent in the gas tank. Call it what you like, it was an AD, my finger was not inside the trigger housing when it fired, I have no idea why it fired, dirt, a hunk of fuzz on the sear I have no idea.

I pulled the gun apart, including the grips; and hosed it out with carb cleaner and put it back together. I never had it happen again.

I dry fire constantly for trigger control training, Nothing builds muscle memory like repetition, feeling the trigger move.
  • Options
    NOAHNOAH Member Posts: 9,690
    edited November -1
    had one with a 1911 too[V]am very careful(extra) now
    scared the crap out of me at that time[B)]those that have and those that will[:(][:0]quote:Originally posted by bpost
    I had an AD with a 1911 while chambering a round thirty years ago. It went through the lip edge of a ammo can stuffed full of loose 45's, through a 3/4" thick piece of plywood, through the floor of the van and left a hell of a big dent in the gas tank. Call it what you like, it was an AD, my finger was not inside the trigger housing when it fired, I have no idea why it fired, dirt, a hunk of fuzz on the sear I have no idea.

I pulled the gun apart, including the grips; and hosed it out with carb cleaner and put it back together. I never had it happen again.

I dry fire constantly for trigger control training, Nothing builds muscle memory like repetition, feeling the trigger move.
  • Options
    SawzSawz Member Posts: 6,049
    edited November -1
    My dad had an model 58 12 gauge that had problems with , out dove hunting I was standing next to my buddy and was loading the gun I fill magazine up racked one in the chamber and with gun pointed in safe direction and but against my knee let the slide go it fired. Nothing negligent about it. unsafe mechanism.
  • Options
    machine gun moranmachine gun moran Member Posts: 5,198
    edited November -1
    We were in the mess hall once, when suddenly there was a 'BOOM!DD-D-D--D---D----Donk!' The headcount had fired somebody's pistol through the rack of mess trays. [:0]
  • Options
    11BravoCrunchie11BravoCrunchie Member Posts: 33,423 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    The one AD I had when league shooting (during practice) was because my pistol failed to feed completely (slide was out of battery), and when I pushed it closed, part of my finger caught the edge of the trigger. It was shortly after that when I discovered that I did indeed have 1 bad magazine, and that just happened to be the magazine I was using at the time. It never fed correctly, and still doesn't.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by bpost

Well, if it went off without you pulling the trigger, it was an AD.

Hardly any meet that circumstance.
  • Options
    bullshotbullshot Member Posts: 14,342 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Years ago I had an old car that we had removed the body from (just a frame and the seats left, we used to call them skeeters) that we would always take hunting. One of my hunting buddies brought his little brother one morning and he had a 12 ga shotgun loaded with
    00 Buck shot, as we were loading up to head into the woods the little brother jumped into the back seat directly behind me (I was driving) and when he did his shotgun discharged. Needless to say I was pissed, I got out to see what had happened and discovered that he had actually blown out the back of the seat that I was sitting in leaving only a huge smoking hole and the fabric that was against my back from my waist down.
    I still get shivers when I think about how close I came to being blown in half.
    "Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they're not out to get you"
  • Options
    givettegivette Member Posts: 10,886
    edited November -1
    The M1911 is responsible for more friendly-fire gunfire deaths to U.S. troops than any other weapon.

Joe
  • Options
    roswellnativeroswellnative Member Posts: 10,131 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Mine was lowering a single action trigger. I firmly believe that day changed the way I handle firearms. Lucky for me I only hit Sheetrock.
    Although always described as a cowboy, Roswellnative generally acts as a righter of wrongs or bodyguard of some sort, where he excels thanks to his resourcefulness and incredible gun prowesses.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by lt496
    The term calrugerfan used is correct.

Negligence is in fact an element of an accident.

ac?ci?den?tal
    1: arising from extrinsic causes : incidental, nonessential

2: a. occurring unexpectedly or by chance

b. happening without intent or through carelessness and often with unfortunate results.

While what you refer to is true, it's really nothing more than an old semantics game used by gun rag gurus to make them seem insightful.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    The term calrugerfan used is correct.

Negligence is in fact an element of an accident.

ac?ci?den?tal
    1: arising from extrinsic causes : incidental, nonessential

2: a. occurring unexpectedly or by chance

b. happening without intent or through carelessness and often with unfortunate results.

While what you refer to is true, it's really nothing more than an old semantics game used by gun rag gurus to make them seem insightful.
    If it make you and others feel better about being negligent to the point of unintentionally discharging a firearm, to call it an accident, knock yourself out.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    If it make you and others feel better about being negligent to the point of unintentionally discharging a firearm, to call it an accident, knock yourself out.It's a matter of understanding that all accidents are preventable.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    If it make you and others feel better about being negligent to the point of unintentionally discharging a firearm, to call it an accident, knock yourself out.It's a matter of understanding that all accidents are preventable.
    As it relates to firearms discharges, it is a matter of understanding mechanical failure, an accident, vs the negligence of the person holding the firearm.

One is not readily preventable and the other is.

Viola.

That said, there is no need to argue about it. I am out.
  • Options
    Jim RauJim Rau Member Posts: 3,550
    edited November -1

There two types of unintentional discharges:
    Accidental- This is when the discharge is in a safe direction and there is no injury or death and little if any property damage. As an example, when at the range and the weapon is point down range.
    Negligent- This is when there is an injury or death or significant property damage resulting from the unintentional discharge.
    I can't believe those who profess to be 'professional trainers' keep saying ALL unintentional discharges are negligent!!![V]
  • Options
    Locust ForkLocust Fork Member Posts: 31,685 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I haven't ever had one....and I don't plan on it ever happening. I don't think it is fair to say "all gun owners will have it happen" like your great uncle says. I do think people that have had guns a long time and are around them a lot get a little "complacent" at times. THAT is the main problem with this sort of thing.
    LOCUST FORK CURRENT AUCTIONS: https://www.gunbroker.com/All/search?Sort=13&IncludeSellers=618902&PageSize=48 Listings added every Thursday! We do consignments, contact us at mckaygunsales@gmail.com
  • Options
    Waco WaltzWaco Waltz Member Posts: 10,828 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I've never fired my 1911 so thanks for the warning. I'll always chamber any rounds with the muzzle pointed to the sky or downrange.

quote:Originally posted by bpost

• Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Jim Rau

There two types of unintentional discharges:
    Accidental- This is when the discharge is in a safe direction and there is no injury or death and little if any property damage. As an example, when at the range and the weapon is point down range.
    Negligent- This is when there is an injury or death or significant property damage resulting from the unintentional discharge.
    I can't believe those who profess to be 'professional trainers' keep saying ALL unintentional discharges are negligent!!![V]
    If it went off via mechanical failure, it is an accidental discharge.

If it went off because of a negligent action or lapse of the handler, it is a ND.

It really is quite simple.

Injury is not the measure of negligence and I don't know why people who profess to be professionals can't simply admit this simple fact. I guess it makes one feel better if your negligence is deemed an 'accident', rather than facing up to what it really is.

Good lord, people! I never cease to be amazed at the rationalizing and justifying that goes on on these forums to excuse poor/bad actions.

Take some responsibility for god's sake. Oh, wait, we don't do that any longer in our new american society.

Here is what the UCMJ says about it...

Article 134 - (Firearm, discharging- through negligence)

Text.

See Paragraph 60.

Elements.

(1) That the accused discharged a firearm;

(2) That such discharge was caused by the negligence of the accused; and

(3) That, under the circumstances, the conduct of the accused was to the prejudice of good order and discipline in the armed forces or was of a nature to bring discredit upon the armed forces.

Explanation. For a discussion of negligence, see paragraph 85c(2).

Lesser included offense. . None

Maximum punishment. Confinement for 3 months and forfeiture of two-thirds pay per month for 3 months.

Definition of simple negligence:(2) Simple negligence.

Simple negligence is the absence of due care, that is, an act or omission of a person who is under a duty to use due care which exhibits a lack of that degree of care of the safety of others which a reasonably careful person would have exercised under the same or similar circumstances. Simple negligence is a lesser degree of carelessness than culpable negligence.)
  • Options
    edited November -1
    lt - I thought you were out.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Not arguing with Tx about it.

I have always found it difficult to allow certain statements to stand, unchallenged.

Why? Would you prefer I leave your thread?

By the way, your uncle had a negligent discharge, as described by you.
  • Options
    redneckandyredneckandy Member Posts: 9,686 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I had one, with a 1911.(Anyone else seeing a pattern here?) Lowering the hammer on a loaded chamber. My finger slipped.
  • Options
    o b juano b juan Member Posts: 1,941 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I never trust any ones ability tho handle a firearm safely, on skeet ranges or pistol ranges, I am always alert to the other guys,, its hard to believe that guys been shooting 40 years and endanger people with them.. NEVER THINK THAT THE GUY NEXT to YOU CANT F$%^ UP

NEVER
  • Options
    redhead71redhead71 Member Posts: 2,337 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I was born and raisedin a gun shop, one day i was out shooting on the range i had a Marlin model 60 when i finnished shooting i cleared the chamber a number of times and dryed fired it. I went back into my father shop he checked and so did my Brother in law and when my brother in law checked it and and dryed fired it, the rifle discharged, a round was stuck i the magazine tube? It does matter how many time you can check a firearm ACCIDENTS do happen!
  • Options
    redhead71redhead71 Member Posts: 2,337 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1

Im 50/50 on that statement!
  • Options
    reloader44magreloader44mag Member Posts: 18,783 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by redhead71
    I was born and raisedin a gun shop, one day i was out shooting on the range i had a Marlin model 60 when i finnished shooting i cleared the chamber a number of times and dryed fired it. I went back into my father shop he checked and so did my Brother in law and when my brother in law checked it and and dryed fired it, the rifle discharged, a round was stuck i the magazine tube? It does matter how many time you can check a firearm ACCIDENTS do happen!
    see red above ...no such thing as "dry Firing"...you pull the trigger expect a boom
  • Options
    4627046270 Member Posts: 12,627
    edited November -1
    I was damn near killed by a *, dropped his ruger 44mag, I was laying down prone and he dropped his gun, we were at the range at mt home afb, they would let us use it on the weekend, until this * spoiled it for everyone, they said they could no longer be put in the position of someone not knowing what they were doing, and someone was either going to get killed or shot.
  • Options
    v35v35 Member Posts: 12,710 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The longer and the more you handle firearms and ammunition, the higher the mathematical probability you will have an AD. That's why guns should never ever be pointed at anyone.
    When an empty gun is dry fired it is never pointed at anything of value.
    In over 65 years of playing with guns I've had a few and seen others.
    Just a week ago a police officer put a 40 cal bullet through his hand and the wall of our clubhouse while dismounting a Glock slide.Of course he knew better.
    He pulled the trigger on his empty gun without verifying the chamber was empty. Always double check.
    My last one was dropping the striker on a Baby Browning 25 at my desk.
    There's a hole in the top drawer an inch or two above my knee.
    Don't be so naive as to believe it could never happen to you.
  • Options
    edited November -1

I have always found it difficult to allow certain statements to stand, unchallenged.

I don't care if you leave or not. Yes, he was negligent and accidentally discharged his weapon.

I suppose that people don't get in auto accidents either, right? The get in negligents?
  • Options
    edited November -1

I don't care if you leave or not. Yes, he was negligent and accidentally discharged his weapon.

I suppose that people don't get in auto accidents either, right? The get in negligents?
    Are you another who has to rationalize and justify to assuage 'something', rather than just calling negligence what it is?

A society that refuses to accept or assign individual responsibility breeds such minimizing terms.

Oh well, you call them accidents and I'll term them negligent, when mechanical failure is not the cause, but human action is.
  • Options
    edited November -1

As it relates to firearms discharges, it is a matter of understanding mechanical failure and or an accident, vs the negligence of the person holding the firearm.One is not readily preventable and the other is.

Viola.

That said, there is no need to argue about it. I am out.

Fixed.

It's not complicated: accident = negligence.

Seeing it otherwise indicates a belief that sometimes feces simply occurs and there's nothing you can do about it.
  • Options
    375H&H375H&H Member Posts: 1,545 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The two loudest sounds in the bush ,

a BANG , when its supposed to go " click "

and a " click " when its supposed to go BANG .

[:o)][:o)]