.

Another first

m88.358winm88.358win Member Posts: 7,417 ✭✭✭
edited September 2012 in General Discussion
My wifes friends took her into San Fran for her b-day yesterday to see a play and go out to dinner afterwords. They took her to some fancy restaurant. So today she asked me to taste the left overs in the dogie bag and tell her what it was. It was was some kind of meat. Weird taste and texture. Lamb? Goat? Lizard? It was cow cheek meat. Not bad.

Comments

  • m88.358winm88.358win Member Posts: 7,417 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Today I did something I haven't done in over 25 years. I started a new job. Only the fourth job I've had since I graduated high school in june of 1980.
    I am now one of several parts drivers for the local Chevy dealership.
    I'll be 54 in December so the fact that I actually got a job is a miracle to me.
  • fordsixfordsix Member Posts: 8,722
    edited November -1
    cheek meat = jowels
  • spasmcreekspasmcreek Member Posts: 38,925
    edited November -1
    head cheese, a connoisseurs delight...burp today and on the pot tonite
  • Ray BRay B Member Posts: 11,822
    edited November -1
    What was the dish called on the menu?
  • NOAHNOAH Member Posts: 9,690
    edited November -1
    cow cheek meat is what we use to make mexican barbacoa, BBQ without the
    sauce. A delicious tender meat in between a corn tortilla with pico de gallo hot sauce and a slice of avacado[:p][:p][:p][:p][:p].
    Damn i made myself hungry, now!!![:D][:D]
  • oldemagicsoldemagics Member Posts: 5,712 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    if you liked cheek, try toungue!
  • machine gun moranmachine gun moran Member Posts: 5,198
    edited November -1
    How about brains? I got invited to a backyard party by a Mexican I worked with. They were roasting a steer skull. When it was cooked, somebody took a hammer and bonked a hole in it, and then several people scooped the brains out with spoons. My friend said it tasted like beef. I passed on it [8]. Aaaugh. Erk. Gork. [:D]
  • JorgeJorge Member Posts: 10,656
    edited November -1
    "You serve one cheek to Madam, and ze other to ze guest of honor."
  • swopjanswopjan Member Posts: 3,292
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by machine gun moran
    How about brains? I got invited to a backyard party by a Mexican I worked with. They were roasting a steer skull. When it was cooked, somebody took a hammer and bonked a hole in it, and then several people scooped the brains out with spoons. My friend said it tasted like beef. I passed on it [8]. Aaaugh. Erk. Gork. [:D]


    I've had sweetbreads, which is a euphemism for breaded calf hypothalamus(a part of the brain). Don't know if I would partake in that situtation, but brains can be prepared nicely. It was kind of chewy but tasted good.
  • TooBigTooBig Member Posts: 28,561 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If you have to ask then you don't want to know what it was in the first place. [?][:0]
  • trc313trc313 Member Posts: 3,475
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by NOAH
    cow cheek meat is what we use to make mexican barbacoa, BBQ without the
    sauce. A delicious tender meat in between a corn tortilla with pico de gallo hot sauce and a slice of avacado[:p][:p][:p][:p][:p].
    Damn i made myself hungry, now!!![:D][:D]



    you had me till corn tortilla....man those are nasty!
  • SoreShoulderSoreShoulder Member Posts: 2,668 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by trc313
    quote:Originally posted by NOAH
    cow cheek meat is what we use to make mexican barbacoa, BBQ without the
    sauce. A delicious tender meat in between a corn tortilla with pico de gallo hot sauce and a slice of avacado[:p][:p][:p][:p][:p].
    Damn i made myself hungry, now!!![:D][:D]



    you had me till corn tortilla....man those are nasty!
    They're good when fresh, or try microwaving them covered with a few drops of water under the lid.
  • SoreShoulderSoreShoulder Member Posts: 2,668 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I find brains are nothing to write home about. They're a little like scrambled eggs in taste and texture but with a slight additional meatiness, but basically bland. They need a marinade or something.
  • gesshotsgesshots Member Posts: 14,274 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Cheek Meat?.......Which cheek?

    mooning.jpg

    It was San Francisco!!!!!! [;)][:D]
    It's being willing. I found out early that most men, regardless of cause or need, aren't willing. They blink an eye or draw a breath before they pull the trigger. I won't. ~ J.B. Books
Sign In or Register to comment.