In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Automotive resurrection poll / thread

mrmike08075mrmike08075 Member Posts: 10,998 ✭✭✭
edited June 2018 in General Discussion
What one car or truck do you wish could be brought back into production - if they would / could make it again today???

Assume that it meets current government standards and remains as true as possible to the original concept or design (not simply slapping a badge or brand on something "new")

And why??? Pure nostalgia - function - need - etc.

Ford courier / Mazda based light pick up truck is my choice

Say offer a short bed and long bed or flat bed (stepside and fleet side and stake side)

Small rotary engine or maybe a small boxer style engine or even an inline four cylinder (a modern take on the flat head might be kind of neat)

Perhaps on the shortest and lightest configuration a bullet proof motorcycle engine could be utilized

Not tons of options and all loaded luxury models

Simple and small and light

So many uses and functions for this type of vehicle in my opinion

What vehicle do you want to see again under or close to my proposed standards???

Have fun or be serious - I look forward to seeing your responses and some fun debate.

Mike

Comments

• Options
    jwb267jwb267 Member Posts: 19,666 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    tri five Chevrolets
    I just like them
  • Options
    gjshawgjshaw Member Posts: 14,697 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    AAR Cuda with the hemi. They were a blast to drive.
  • Options
    mjrfd99mjrfd99 Member Posts: 4,556 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    80-90's Toyota 4x4 Pu w 4 cyl diesel + 5 sp. Or land cruiser same running gear.
    There's a reason you can find them in every corner of the world
  • Options
    armilitearmilite Member Posts: 35,483 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    65 Plymouth Satellite.
  • Options
    savage170savage170 Member Posts: 37,468 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Original Bronco
  • Options
    BrookwoodBrookwood Member, Moderator Posts: 13,399 ******
    edited November -1
    58 Chevy Brookwood station wagon and the 50's run of Nomad wagons.

I do not believe the auto makers would ever go back to using all of the steel put into those past machines.

Always had a thing for those big station wagons! Sporty...na but more like family fun mobiles![8D]

There are a lot of old cars I really liked back in the day. The old Ford Falcons with their straight 6 and three on the tree shifters that were even built in convertible form and of coarse there was a station wagon![:p]
  • Options
    Ditch-RunnerDitch-Runner Member Posts: 24,595 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    too many to list
    just about any popular car / truck from 1950 thru 1971
    early big block camaros , mustangs , hemi mopars tri 5 chevys of course 32 fords
    just update using todays advancements for the engine transmission
    screw the EPA .
    also bring back real gas not the corn based engine killing crap
  • Options
    Horse Plains DrifterHorse Plains Drifter Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 39,400 ***** Forums Admin
    edited November -1
    '73-'77 Ford PU.
  • Options
    hillbillehillbille Member Posts: 14,187 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    one of the reasons I like the old tv shows from early 70's. like rockford. if you watch the background all the cars are different, not just a bunch of rounded off ovals like today.
  • Options
    NeoBlackdogNeoBlackdog Member Posts: 16,681 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    An AMC Gremlin built with modern technology would be kinda cool.[:o)]
    On a serious note, a mid '60's Ford Ranchero would be high on my list.
  • Options
    p3skykingp3skyking Member Posts: 25,750
    edited November -1
    The air cooled VW Type I
  • Options
    spasmcreekspasmcreek Member Posts: 37,724 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    a small 4wd pickup with a 4 cyl or small v6 that gets good mileage ...a car would be a 1937 CORD convertible or a 1984 EXCALIBUR series 4 Phaeton....oh my so neat
  • Options
    SGSG Member Posts: 7,548
    edited November -1
    Yes! Air-cooled 911's!

quote:Originally posted by p3skyking
    The air cooled VW Type I
  • Options
    mlincolnmlincoln Member Posts: 5,039 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    First year 1989 Taurus SHO. Great car, very quick, great daily driver. Loved that car.

Ford Contour SE with a stick shift and a six cylinder. Boring looking, but very quick and drove and shifted beautifully. Shifted as nice as a Honda. Looked nice. I think it was based on Ford's collaboration with Opal?

Bought both used , the Taurus for $3500 and the Contour for $5000. Got tremendous value and pleasure out of both. There's a lot to be said for a good used car.
  • Options
    buddybbuddyb Member Posts: 5,249 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Small pick up like Toyota and Nissan made years ago.Those were the vehicles they made their rock solid names on.,low priced and maintenance cost so people could afford them.Good fuel mileage and maybe a reasonable cost diesel option with 50 mpg+ capabilities.
  • Options
    Bubba Jr.Bubba Jr. Member Posts: 8,199 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by armilite
    65 Plymouth Satellite.

I had one back in the day. I really loved that car. Wish I still had it. Bronze metallic w/black interior.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    How about the original Mazda RX-7's

I remember them from the late 70's / early 80's I think

Small and lightweight with a sporty Aero styled look - rotary engine and manual transmission

And I know it's going to garnish some groans and some hate but the last gen Pontiac fiero fastback - mid engine design compact could have been so much more - and the iron Duke had potential

Mike
  • Options
    minitruck83minitruck83 Member Posts: 5,369
    edited November -1
    1960 Ford Galaxie, that thing had enough room in the back seat for an orgy! [:I]
  • Options
    Big Sky RedneckBig Sky Redneck Member Posts: 19,752 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    International Scout. The one I had with a 360, 3 speed trans and 4:10 gears was a friggin mountain goat. Only this time they need to come up with a better way to keep them from rusting
  • Options
    Old-ColtsOld-Colts Member Posts: 22,700 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    For me it's a toss up; either a 69 or 70 Z28 Camaro. I really wanted a 69 Z28, but waited on the new design 70 Z28 to be released and bought one as soon as I could order it. As much as I loved my 70 Z28, I always liked the looks of the 69 Z.

If you can't feel the music; it's only pink noise!

• Options
    HandLoadHandLoad Member Posts: 15,998
    edited November -1
    GMC big V-6 (up to 500+ Cubes!) option for Trucks! Then, Turbocharge it! Maybe update it by casting block in Aluminum.

Pontiac OHC Six Firebird, Torboed and Intercooled, please? Maybe Independent Rear end?

Aero version of Corvair Monza, 1971/72 Model - was pretty then, but with an Aero cleanup, could be FUN!

Fiero GT 6, Turboed and Intercooled.

Model T Pickup, just as it was, for a retro fun vehicle!
  • Options
    HandLoadHandLoad Member Posts: 15,998
    edited November -1
    Sorry! Couldn't do just one!
  • Options
    Old-ColtsOld-Colts Member Posts: 22,700 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by forgemonkey
    quote:Originally posted by Old-Colts
    For me it's a toss up; either a 69 or 70 Z28 Camaro. I really wanted a 69 Z28, but waited on the new design 70 Z28 to be released and bought one as soon as I could order it. As much as I loved my 70 Z28, I always liked the looks of the 69 Z.Living in the past is the 'first' sign of senility,,,,,,,,,,,[:D][}:)]Pay attention; living in the past is what this thread's about; get with the program! [:D]

If you can't feel the music; it's only pink noise!

• Options
    ChrisStreettChrisStreett Member Posts: 3,856 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    +1 on the 69Z...maybe a re-do of the early Power Wagon too.
    "...dying ain't much of a living boy"-Josey Wales
  • Options
    mag00mag00 Member Posts: 4,719 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Subaru Brat, the later version.

I just looked at one for sale, but was too rusty for my liking.

They had Hi and Lo part time 4wd with shift on the fly.

Great fuel economy, weighing it at just over a ton.

Nowadays you see these huge 4 dr trucks with a bed smaller than the brat.
  • Options
    rambo rebelrambo rebel Member Posts: 4,028
    edited November -1
  • Options
    serfserf Member Posts: 9,217 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    5.9 Cummins Turbo Diesel common rail dodge truck with no particle filter or blue def EPA crap.

serf
  • Options
    Ricci WrightRicci Wright Member Posts: 8,260 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Yes international scout 2. I had a half dozen and except for rust just super trucks. I even had one of the giant sized Travelalls.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I also liked the late 70's and early 80's datsun and isuzu light duty trucks - especially the short bed regular cab models with 4wd and manual transmission

The old boxy early 1970's international harvester pick up trucks were also neat if boxy and ugly

I miss vent windows and bench seats and vinyl upholstery and neat interior patterns and accoutrements

Mike
  • Options
    BT99BT99 Member Posts: 1,043
    edited November -1
    1955 Ford Crown Victoria, with moon roof on front half of roof, and
    continental kit. I had a red and white one in 1960 and wish I still had it. Traded it in 1964 on a '64 GTO. Wish I had both of them back.
  • Options
    notnownotnow Member Posts: 1,812 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    From the mid-50's any Studebaker. Otherwise, Toyota land cruiser or a Fiat 124
  • Options
    buddybbuddyb Member Posts: 5,249 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    As a die hard Chevy guy,I must admit one of the best looking cars of all time was the 55 Ford.
  • Options
    droptopdroptop Member Posts: 8,367 ✭✭
    edited November -1
  • Options
    austin20austin20 Member Posts: 35,009 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by mrmike08075
    How about the original Mazda RX-7's

I remember them from the late 70's / early 80's I think

Small and lightweight with a sporty Aero styled look - rotary engine and manual transmission

And I know it's going to garnish some groans and some hate but the last gen Pontiac fiero fastback - mid engine design compact could have been so much more - and the iron Duke had potential

Mike
    I had a1979 RX7 -that car was awesome. Fun to drive , Lightning quick, nimble, durable and you could red line that Wankel rotary all day long
  • Options
    Ricci WrightRicci Wright Member Posts: 8,260 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Man has never hammered sheet metal into any object as sexy as that car. quote]Originally posted by droptop
    Jaguar XKE
    jaguar_xke.JPG
    [/quote]
  • Options
    Ditch-RunnerDitch-Runner Member Posts: 24,595 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have had about a dozen early camaros most were 69"s two were original 69 Z28's the rest assorted 67 and 68
    I still have two 69 camamros one needs a restoration I have it in progress and the other a paint job one I have owned for 43 +/- years the other about 15 or 16 years ,, both have big block chevys and of course 4 speed's [^]

quote:Originally posted by Old-Colts
    For me it's a toss up; either a 69 or 70 Z28 Camaro. I really wanted a 69 Z28, but waited on the new design 70 Z28 to be released and bought one as soon as I could order it. As much as I loved my 70 Z28, I always liked the looks of the 69 Z.
  • Options
    Doc FeelgoodDoc Feelgood Member Posts: 542 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    1956 Ford 2 dr. Victoria with the tri-power 312 Y-block.[:)]
  • Options
    use enough gunuse enough gun Member Posts: 1,485 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by gjshaw
    AAR Cuda with the hemi. They were a blast to drive.

The AAR Cuda came with a 340 six pack.
  • Options
    iceracerxiceracerx Member Posts: 8,860 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Tri-five Chevys (both cars and trucks)

Tri-five T-birds

1932 Ford 3 window coupe

Oh WAIT, that one is 're-popped' (from the original tooling to boot)

Drive-line is 'dealers choice' (I'm planning on going 351W)

https://brookvilleroadster.com/models/32-3-window-coupe/
  • Options
    perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    440 six pack CHALENGER IHAD ONE FOR14 YEARS LIKE A FOOL SOLD IT