In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

oldest gun

Comments

• Options
    mango tangomango tango Member Posts: 3,833 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    1873 Winchester made in 1884
  • Options
    rongrong Member Posts: 8,459
    edited November -1
    Colt 1880 or 1884 dBl shotgun ,hammers, Damascus brl,ivory front sight.
    A very good now departed friend gave it to me.
    I ordered some black power shells from navy arms. tied the gun
    to some saplings as well as string to the triggers.
    I yanked on both barrels 3 times, no problem so I went out
    and shot 2 pheasants cleaned the gun and it now for 20 yrs rest above my mantle.
    Why press my luck....4 digit ser no.
    Each shot was so smokey I couldn't see if I hit the bird
    until it drifted away..I lettered it from colt ,put the letter in a gun book and gave the gun book away.
    Thank you Vic RIP ole friend
  • Options
    Ray BRay B Member Posts: 11,822
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by jonk
    1818 dated model 1809 Prussian Potsdam Musket. With 1830s percussion conversion.

Now for the part that will make you laugh, cry, criticize, or commend. I'm in the North South Skirmish Association, and there's a smoothbore match. About half of us shoot original guns. So... not only a gun that old, but shooting it a few hundred rounds a year.

Granted, about 1/2 power charges, personally, but I know guys who shoot full power ones.

No doubt similar to mine, an 1809/35 from the Neisse armory. It too is operational, though there aren't many re-enactments so it many hangs over the mantle.
  • Options
    US Military GuyUS Military Guy Member Posts: 3,625 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Don McManus
    Shot one of a pair of flintlock dueling pistols, supposedly pre 1800, on Independence Day, 1976. Owner shot the other.

Currently I have a couple of 3 digit S/N Krags (1894 Manufacture) that get taken out once a year.

Since you are posting, I assume you won? [:D]
  • Options
    gearheaddadgearheaddad Member Posts: 15,096 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Junkballer
    quote:Originally posted by gearheaddad
    quote:Originally posted by Junkballer
    Original 1866 Winchester.................mine [;)]

44 rim fire or center fire?
    Rim [;)]

Nice! Very nice!!! That was an expensive bullet!! I have one bullet(44RF) and it taunts me constantly!![:D][:D]
  • Options
    mogley98mogley98 Member Posts: 18,297 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Don't know the year but an old flintlock I repaired so it could be used in the movie "All for Liberty"

According to Clarence Felder he inherited the gun from his family line which dated back to the Revolutionary war.
    Why don't we go to school and work on the weekends and take the week off!
  • Options
    DocDoc Member Posts: 13,899 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Mr. P- No, not original. New stock and sights on what was a military Krag.
    ....................................................................................................
    Too old to live...too young to die...
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by GuvamintCheese
    My 1889 Winchester 1885 in 38-55.

Did you buy that one here on GB? I seem to remember it. Real nice from the Sanford estate? Your welcome.......
  • Options
    Smitty500magSmitty500mag Member Posts: 13,603 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Oldest for me is my Great Grandpa's lever action Marlin model 1889 .38-40 (.38 WCF)that he bought new in 1892. And this picture was not taken with my new camera. [:)]

Marlin3.jpg
  • Options
    JimmyJackJimmyJack Member Posts: 5,399 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have a side lock Remington 12 guage with a 32 inch barrel. I think its a model 7 or 11. Anyone know the difference?
  • Options
    He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 50,958 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I owned an 1896 Swed Mauser, but never fired it. Oldest is probably a 1940 Luger or 1944 Walther PP. Also a 1946 Win '94.
  • Options
    gartmangartman Member Posts: 660 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Model 1819 Hall rifle made in 1832, percussion converted.
  • Options
    Mr. PerfectMr. Perfect Member, Moderator Posts: 66,317 ******
    edited November -1
    This has been and interesting read guys!
    Some will die in hot pursuit
    And fiery auto crashes
    Some will die in hot pursuit
    While sifting through my ashes
    Some will fall in love with life
    And drink it from a fountain
    That is pouring like an avalanche
    Coming down the mountain
  • Options
    Don McManusDon McManus Member Posts: 23,489 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by US Military Guy
    Shot one of a pair of flintlock dueling pistols, supposedly pre 1800, on Independence Day, 1976. Owner shot the other.

Currently I have a couple of 3 digit S/N Krags (1894 Manufacture) that get taken out once a year.

If I remember correctly, the loads were black powder only.

Oh, and we both pointing the pistols in the same direction.[:)]
    Freedom and a submissive populace cannot co-exist.

Brad Steele
  • Options
    steve45steve45 Member Posts: 2,937 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Same here, I own a Trapdoor rifle and shoot it with blackpowder loads.quote:Originally posted by dcs shooters
    quote:Originally posted by Mk 19
    The oldest for me was a trapdoor made in 1876

Same here [^]
  • Options
    US Military GuyUS Military Guy Member Posts: 3,625 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by US Military Guy

If I remember correctly, the loads were black powder only.

Oh, and we both pointing the pistols in the same direction.[:)]

Pointing in the same direction?

Well, I guess that makes the "dueling" part easier. [:D]
  • Options
    kimikimi Member Posts: 44,723 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Although I own some antique guns I have never fired any of them. I might have to remedy that soon. I have fired some early 1900-1930 small and large caliber Winchesters.
    What's next?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by kimi
    Although I own some antique guns I have never fired any of them. I might have to remedy that soon. I have fired some early 1900-1930 small and large caliber Winchesters.

Not shooting your gun is like getting married and not consummating the marriage. If you don't shoot'em somebody else will! [;)]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Smitty500mag

Not shooting your gun is like getting married and not consummating the marriage. If you don't shoot'em somebody else will! [;)]

Or Did!![;)]
  • Options
    swearengineswearengine Member Posts: 1,329 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    A trade rifle from the early 1700's.
  • Options
    oldWinchesterfanoldWinchesterfan Member Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    My Winchester 1873 44 WCF made in 1881. Shot it so much, and let others enjoy it so much, we shot out what was left of the bore. I had it relined and it is shot regularly. When friends shoot my stuff it's usually a highlight. I've also shot a couple trapdoors of similar vintage but that '73 is much more fun.
  • Options
    bigoutsidebigoutside Member Posts: 19,443
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by JimmyJack
    I have a side lock Remington 12 guage with a 32 inch barrel. I think its a model 7 or 11. Anyone know the difference?

• Options
    montanajoemontanajoe Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 58,035 ******
    edited November -1
    Probably my Army issued 1911A1 back in 1977-79,,,other than that model 94 30-30 (73yrs old).
  • Options
    TrinityScrimshawTrinityScrimshaw Member Posts: 9,350 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    1860 Navy Colt.

Trinity +++
  • Options
    Dads3040Dads3040 Member Posts: 13,552 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Not sure. I have never put a date on Dad's 30-40. Or my G-father's Winchester 1897 shotgun. Or the Savage .303 1899 takedown I have. Come to think of it, I still haven't shot the Savage at all. I bet I have had it for 10 years.

I am way behind on pulling the trigger. I will have to take that one along soon. [;)]
  • Options
    Mark GMark G Member Posts: 1,659 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    1911.made in 1919. I have an 1888 GEW Commision rifle but I have not shot it yet.
  • Options
    chiefrchiefr Member Posts: 13,796 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Original 1866 Springfield 2nd Allin 50-70, I shoot regularly.
    The oldest I have fired was an original 1816 69cal Pomeroy musket.
  • Options
    NeoBlackdogNeoBlackdog Member Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Winchester High wall in 45-120. Dang, that thing had a kick to it!
    Shot it from prone and I think it slid me back about three feet!
  • Options
    Henry0ReillyHenry0Reilly Member Posts: 10,878 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Mosin Nagant dated 1908.
    I used to recruit for the NRA until they sold us down the river (again!) in Heller v. DC. See my auctions (if any) under username henryreilly
  • Options
    drl50drl50 Member Posts: 2,496
    edited November -1
    Winchester Model 1890 .22. Somewhere around 1910 I think. It was Grandpa's until it became mine in 1963 when I was 12.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by drl50
    Winchester Model 1890 .22. Somewhere around 1910 I think. It was Grandpa's until it became mine in 1963 when I was 12.

Grandpa's guns always shoot the best, don't they...........[;)]
  • Options
    allen griggsallen griggs Member Posts: 35,242 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I've got a Finnish Mosin Nagant, receiver manufactured in Russia in 1896. Those Russkies built a pretty good receiver, rifle shoots great.
  • Options
    kimikimi Member Posts: 44,723 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Smitty500mag

Or Did!![;)]

Be careful now, I knows ya'll's mammy's secrets! [8)]
    What's next?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Grandpa's guns always shoot the best, don't they...........[;)]

Yep they do. Every time I look down the sights of Great Grandpa's Marlin Model 1889 I think about him looking down those same sights 123 years ago back in 1892.
  • Options
    Sam06Sam06 Member Posts: 21,254 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have an Allin converted 1867 Trapdoor in 50-70 that I shoot every once in a while. Its a fun gun to shoot.

It was sporterized in the late 1860's or early 1870's. The forend was cut down and it got a mid range tang sight put on. It could have been a Buffalo hunters gun. I got in KS in the early 1980's for $150. It has a great bore and I * 100 pieces of brass, dies and a bullet mold to boot. It was at a yard sale and was visiting by Uncle.
    RLTW

• Options
    OakieOakie Member Posts: 40,519 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Not the oldest, but the coolest. I got to shoot Teddy Roosevelt's,32 caliber, double barrel handgun. It belongs to his great nephew, Steve Gardner. He allowed Donna and I to shoot it, on New years eve, a few years ago. I still think it is pretty cool that I got to shoot a gun, belonging to TR. What is even cooler, is the fact that TR once held it and shot it. I will try to get Steve to bring it around again some day and take a picture of it to show you guys. It had pearl grips on it, but I don't remember the manufacture or anything. Oakie
  • Options
    gruntledgruntled Member Posts: 8,218 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Add another 1873 trapdoor. Looks like it started out as a rifle & was cut down long ago. My grandfather gave it to me nearly 50 years ago & he got it from his father when he died. Probably not worth a great deal but it goes to my son when I die.
  • Options
    kannoneerkannoneer Member Posts: 3,360 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hey, Oakie- was that a double barrel or a double action? I know TR had a double barrel but he hunted elephants with it. And it wasn't a handgun.
  • Options
    deerhidedeerhide Member Posts: 224 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    A Brown Bess, a conversion that used caps. That was 60 yrs. ago, I shot 3 rabbits with it one winter and my uncle took it. It must of been a hundred years old then. It was long and heavy but shot fine.
  • Options
    allen griggsallen griggs Member Posts: 35,242 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Talk about gun tragedies. When my dad was in 8th grade up in South Dakota in 1936, every year in his little town they had a 4th of July parade.
    There was an old army rifle in the house, that one of my ancestors had taken off to war.
    So my grandmother said the boy portraying Daniel Boone in the parade could carry the rifle.

Sadly, my dad and his buddy, figured out that this old rifle would shoot a .410 shotgun shell. Thirteen year old kids, go figure.
    When the G-D yard ape portraying Daniel Boone, riding on his float, passed the grand stands, he aimed his rifle into the air and fired!

G-D punk! Got quite a reception, naturally, the mayor and the police chief ran down and grabbed the rifle from the punk. Next day, grandma donated the rifle to the museum.

That rifle would be mine today, if not for that incident. I don't know what it was, or which relative took it to the wars. Could have been a .45-70 Trapdoor, had to be a centerfire that could shoot a .410 shell. I might have had a great grandfather who fought the Sioux up there, no way to know.