In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Is open carry the last taboo of gun owners?

Rack OpsRack Ops Member Posts: 18,597 ✭✭✭
edited January 2013 in General Discussion
We've had a couple of lively discussions the past couple of months about people openly carrying handguns, and honestly the trend in those debates has surprised me......support for the open carrier has been mixed, and in some cases the majority of the expressed opinions are against the carrier.

On other topics, whether it be hi-cap mags, machine gun sales, etc. the forum is vocally (rabidly?) pro-gun.

"I know its not against the law, but you don't need that" is a common argument against Open Carry, but would be met with howls of protest if used in a debate on "assault rifles".

Has Open Carry became the last topic we're willing to cave to pressure on? Or is it just the circumstances of these instances? I'm not trying to debate the merits of OC, just curious as to whether its something we're willing to part with without a fight.

Full Disclosure: I have never openly carried a handgun. I neither want the attention, nor do I have any desire to martyr myself (several open-carriers have came damn close to being shot) for the cause. I do have a certain amount of admiration for those who do, and wish them nothing but success, as I think the idea of people walking around with guns and not opening fire into crowds is a great way to show people that gun enthusiasts are not the hair-trigger nutjobs that we're so often portrayed as in the media.

Comments

• Options
    grumpygygrumpygy Member Posts: 53,466
    edited November -1
    Would it not Depend on Where you are. If I tried open carry in Eugene folks would be running for the Hills thinking the gun will jump out of the holster on its own and shoot them.

But just a few Miles away say Oakridge Oregon they would not bat an eye.

So the one topic the guy doing open carry to a Movie Theater picked the wrong place. And wrong time its just to soon to throw the 2nd in peoples faces. Also Most of the Chain theaters are a gun free zone to begin with.
  • Options
    Rack OpsRack Ops Member Posts: 18,597 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by grumpygy

So the one topic the guy doing open carry to a Movie Theater picked the wrong place. And wrong time its just to soon to throw the 2nd in peoples faces.

I can see the point.....and its certainly not a stunt I'd ever consider pulling, but I wonder if there's a double standard here.

Gun owners were openly up in arms (no pun intended) literally hours after the shooting, loudly proclaiming their intent to hang on to their ARs and hi-cap mags......a good argument could be made that such naked politicking right after the shooting was no more self-serving than the guy open carrying in the theater.
  • Options
    poppaleepoppalee Member Posts: 1,239 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    My state will have open carry soon. I don't know if I will open carry, but I will pass on shopping in stores that put up signs that ban open carry.

p.s. Waiting to see what Walmart is going to do on open carry.
  • Options
    A J ChristA J Christ Member Posts: 7,534
    edited November -1
    You just nailed it.

The problem is the news media.
  • Options
    shilowarshilowar Member Posts: 38,815 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    My personal opinion is that it draws unnecessary attention. I encourage everyone to carry a gun to defend themselves and others, for those that feel the need to advertise it its my opinion that they are attention seekers. If you are carrying a firearm for defense why would you tip your hand by advertising it?

I imagine it is a regional thing, and perhaps in other parts of the country it happens more frequently then where I live. I think its sends an in your face message that is not to the benefit of gun owners from a PR perspective.
  • Options
    retroxler58retroxler58 Member Posts: 32,693 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    IN NC it's a two edged sword...

NC is an OPEN CARRY State... Very legal to openly carry in NC.

With exceptions to very specific situations... A gun owner can openly carry by law.

HOWEVER... With that said...

If you openly carry in pubic, anyone who has a mind to, can make the claim...
    "He's going armed to the terror of the public." and essentially makes open carry very hard to do.

All anyone has to do is... "LOOK OUT... He's got a gun!" [screamin'like a banchee...]
    And cops will haul you in for questioning, etc...

It's much more efficient to discreetly carry concealed... And if you want to do it legally...
    NC is a "Shall Issue State" concerning concealed carry. As long as you can pass a NICS check...
    You'll be issued a CCW good for five years along with a hefty license fee and finger print record.

While I support Open Carry... and do so upon occasion.
    It's not worth my time to look for a fight with city hall at the moment.
    There's bigger fish to fry IMO...
  • Options
    MercuryMercury Member Posts: 7,809 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I open carry frequently here in AZ. It is a non-issue in Tucson.

My opinion is this: If you don't like seeing my gun, TOUGH! The soccer moms and whiny butts need to suck it up and realize it is a RIGHT. I really don't care what they think.

Merc
  • Options
    jimdeerejimdeere Member, Moderator Posts: 25,702 ******
    edited November -1
    Non-open carry sorta limits your choice and I am pro choice.[8D]
  • Options
    djh860djh860 Member Posts: 3,232 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I tend to want to be polite in public and if something I was doing in public tended to upset the people around me then out of respect I would try to refrain from doing that thing in public.
  • Options
    select-fireselect-fire Member Posts: 69,453 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I carried a Model 60 in a bianci inside waist.. open in Indiana for a long time and never had an issue. Went everywhere in stores, banks.. including riding my harley with it in plain sight. Never got questioned once. Did get some strange looks on the harley when I had long hair..
  • Options
    COLTCOLT Member Posts: 12,637 ******
    edited November -1
    ...Im all for open carry if an individual wants too.

It's not "legal" here, concealed only, but, early in the morning (not fully awake) or after I have loaded some things in the truck & unknowingly pulled my shirt up over my holsetr & gun...I have open carried quite a few times..[:D]..in ALL kinds of stores and even my Bank once...nobody raised an eyebrow or said a word, or treated me like a periah...and being in a saddle tan Galco waist holster that does ride some what high (I prefer) with an SS Commander sticking out, no way was it not noticed...it's just that around here being a gun culture, no one gave a damn.

Hey, if open carry melts someones butter, good for them, Ill support them and am all for it, doesnt bother me at all if someone wants to open carry.

Those that oppose and ride the "need" excuse, are the same ones that use "need" for an excuse against hi-caps/AR's etc, total BS, as none of THAT has to do with "need".
    Hell, if I only bought the guns I'd need, I'd probably have a whoppin' 4...[:D]

I guess when it gets passed here, Ill make the choice, off hand I cant think of a situation that would require that...but then Ive not thought about it...open carry, concealed carry...JUST carry!...[^]
  • Options
    kidthatsirishkidthatsirish Member Posts: 6,985 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I grew up in VA...thankfully its an open carry state. Certain parts of the state (i.e. Manassass) you would probably have the cops called on you. In other places (Culpeper VA) you would be less likely to draw attention.

To those who say its dumb, I think that in some situations you would less likely be a victim as it would be a deterrent. How many people are likely to attack a police officer in uniform vs. a plain clothes cop carrying concealed? Im not saying its a hard rule...just something to think about based on where you live.

Also if you open carry, you are probably more likely to carry a much more capable firearm I think.
  • Options
    bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Carry concealed or reasonably obscured from casual notice. Your intent is safety, not scaring the beejeebers out of some granny or prog-lib soccer mom with her brood of heathens darting about like fleas on a dogs butt.
  • Options
    joshmb1982joshmb1982 Member Posts: 8,929
    edited November -1
    I view Open carry the same as i do most things. You want to go right ahead. I don't want to for the most part. But so long as you don't cause trouble for me I don't really care.

I think though that if you decide to open carry you should be careful where you go. Want to walk down the street open carrying fine. People can get away from you if they want. Open carrying inside walmart at 4pm on christmas eve might not be such a good idea.
  • Options
    MobuckMobuck Member Posts: 13,809 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have, do, and will open carry in certain places. This has always been legal in MO(city ordinances excepted). I carry a medium sized 9mm in a belt holster and wear a cover garment. I usually take the cover off when getting into my vehicle unless I'm in town and it's just a short hop to my next destination. I try to watch people as I remove and hang the vest over the back of the seat but generally the open gun is unnoticed. I've entered convenience stores open carrying and if it was noticed, it wasn't a big deal.
    I have had a few folks comment but most are very familiar with me and are just making jokes. One guy whom I've known for a long time did make an unwelcome comment about "was I going to shoot someone?". I countered by mentioning that him being a convicted felon, he might not want to stand any closer to my firearm as it might be a violation of his probation. I thought the counter person was going to explode while trying not to laugh.
    I've posted in other places that open carry when there is an option is akin to having purple hair and I don't care for that much attention.
  • Options
    HooverTacticalHooverTactical Member Posts: 801 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    sure are a lot of liberals in here who are not 100percent for open carry 100percent of the time no matter what

im writing down your names to bring this up in random threads later
  • Options
    mateomasfeomateomasfeo Member Posts: 27,143
    edited November -1
    I open carry in the shower...
  • Options
    aramisviaramisvi Member Posts: 4,589
    edited November -1
    I open carry every day. Wv is open carry, conceal permitted, and many in my area open carry brush guns every day. I carry open because I do metal detecting in a lot of woody areas.. so.. snakes and bears and such.
  • Options
    SpartacusSpartacus Member Posts: 14,415
    edited November -1
    open carry is legal in kansas and i've carried that way for CAS functions, and any time i'm in the cowboy mood.
    but i don't intentionally open carry my defense gun(s)
    but, there have been times that i've taken off my jacket, exposing my carry gun.
    i'm just glad it's an option here.

tom
  • Options
    bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by mateomasfeo

Wrong gun Matty.[;)]
  • Options
    GashaulerGashauler Member Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Depends on what I have on. Here in Phoenix during the summer it is hotter than Hades. I don't have a little gun to just put in my pocket so how I carry depends on the t-shirt. Some are big enough I just go out with it untucked. If it is one of my older ones that have shrunk (I am not conceding to the fact that I have put on some weight yet) I just tuck it in and go open carry. I also carry a 4" western bowie type knife on my off hand side. During the "freezing" winter months I usually just throw a flannel on over whatever I am carrying.

Only one person has ever said anything to me about it and that was about 2 months ago. He asked if was prepared enough. I laughed and told him no but they frown on me carrying an ak into the store.

Poppalee the Wal-Marts here don't have any signs and nobody has ever said anything me to about open carrying in there.
  • Options
    montanajoemontanajoe Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 58,063 ******
    edited November -1
    leaving it in the 'glove box' is more tabooish,,,
  • Options
    o b juano b juan Member Posts: 1,941 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    SHILOWARS QUOTE
    ""My personal opinion is that it draws unnecessary attention. I encourage everyone to carry a gun to defend themselves and others, for those that feel the need to advertise it its my opinion that they are attention seekers. If you are carrying a firearm for defense why would you tip your hand by advertising it?""

But We have abunch of COWBOYS/WANABEES[xx(][xx(] that read here and walking the streets of America that need to bring attention to themselves because they have no real feelings OF ADAQUECY.. MANHOOD

i SHANT CALL NAMES BUT EVERYONE KNOWS WHO THEY ARE.
  • Options
    JnRockwallJnRockwall Member Posts: 16,350 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I hope worse case we have the option, I have little to no interest in open carry.

I am fully in support of the element of surprise. Crooks have it, so should we.
  • Options
    minitruck83minitruck83 Member Posts: 5,369
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by aramisvi
    I open carry every day. Wv is open carry, conceal permitted, and many in my area open carry brush guns every day. I carry open because I do metal detecting in a lot of woody areas.. so.. snakes and bears and such.

You left out feral dogs!

Is concealed now permitted in the woods? I remember WVDNR had problems with concealed carry. Once got a lecture from a conservation officer for having a shot loaded Kentucky pistol 'semi' concealed while berrypicking. (shoved behind my belt and a outing shirt partially covered it) Course that was in Kanawha county. [V]

Allen
  • Options
    HappyNanoqHappyNanoq Member Posts: 12,023
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by bpost

Wrong gun Matty.[;)]
    Not to worry.

He might be shootin' blanks ;)

[:o)]
  • Options
    Alan RushingAlan Rushing Member Posts: 9,002 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    The purpose of the open carry may be very significant in any discussion of the practice . . .
  • Options
    riflemikeriflemike Member Posts: 10,599
    edited November -1
    Im in NC but even though legal to open carry you would be opening a big ol can of nightcrawlers not worms Me and the wife are taking concealed carry this w/e I am tired of getting a permit every time i buy a handgun
  • Options
    JgreenJgreen Member Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Just because it's legal or a right doesn't mean that it must be exercised. There's a time and place for everything.

In my neck of the woods, there is an upper middle class enclave called birmingham. Some kid decides he's going to wander through town with, if memory serves, a Garand slung on his back.

It's not convenient. It's not for his protection. It's clearly a ploy for attention. He got it, and ended up being charged with disturbing the peace. He beat the rap, but the consensus wasn't "What a travesty that he was arrested, they had no right to do so", but "What a waste of time and money, we get it, it's legal, the cops don't like that he was exercising this right, but what's everyone trying to prove?"

I think open carry in most situations is an invitation to trouble. If I own a jewlery store, and I see some guy walk in with a gun on his hip, don't you think that I'm going to make damn sure that I'm going to have my hand on my gun as well? WTH?

My buddy, many years ago, went through Jackson Hole, WY openly carrying. He knew all the cops, and the store owners. Enough people were freaked out by this (and face it, they had the right to be freaked out - it's Jackson Hole, not Detroit) that the cops came up to him, hands on their guns, saying "Andy, what are you doing?"

He replied that he was exercising his right to open carry.

He was advised to "exercise that right somewhere else - you're scaring everyone!"

Now, I'm not saying it's right to be hassled for excercising a constitutional right. I also won't F--K in public, but I have the right to F--K. Time and place, people, Time and place.
  • Options
    evileye fleagalevileye fleagal Member Posts: 4,224 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    been reading some about this in GA. heck i think they TAX you for open-carry now.

is this true?

i can remember when it was olny in the fields/woods
    that you could.
  • Options
    cce1302cce1302 Member Posts: 9,555 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I support open carry and concealed carry.

Even my wife open carries.

It is rarely inconvenient.
  • Options
    River RatRiver Rat Member Posts: 9,022
    edited November -1
    The exercise of any right requires prudence and respect on the part of the individual, and the ability to discern when either should be exercised. That is why someone who is "trying to make a point" will almost always blow it.

Open carry is allowed where I live. So is concealed carry. I only open carry when I'm in the forest or BLM country. My concern there is not with humans, but grizzlies and rattlers.

While I have the right to carry concealed in public, I generally do not. It's not yet an issue in these small towns. As our society becomes more lawless, however, that may change in the near future.

Some may think it's cool to carry open in urban areas. I personally believe that's what concealed carry is for, ever since our grandpas had Baby Brownings in their vest pockets. It was, and is, the more civilized way to carry.
  • Options
    nunnnunn Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 36,018 ******
    edited November -1
    IMNSHO, open carry in an urban environment is a poor tactical choice, legal or no.

IMNSHO, most folk who try it are just looking to have a confrontation.

I prefer to maintain a low profile, and not call attention to myself. If a situation requires that I un-conceal my concealed firearm, I want it to be a surprise.
  • Options
    kidthatsirishkidthatsirish Member Posts: 6,985 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I do hear a lot about the idea of surprise that you don't have with open carry....I agree that this can be a great advantage to the intended victim.

I don't hear about how often times open carry prevents from an attempt from even occuring. How many people try and attack a cop vs someone who does not appear to be armed? I'm not saying people should not excersize judgement about where to open carry and not. I just wonder if people ever consider the above?
  • Options
    Sav99Sav99 Member Posts: 16,037 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I've carried open more frequently lately, maybe once or twice a week. I do prefer concealed though.
  • Options
    Riomouse911Riomouse911 Member Posts: 3,492 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    In Ca some open carry folks decided to make media events out of the whole thing, I am guessing to generate publicity for their cause. Too bad some folks got so confrontational and sensationalistic that it was made illegal to do that now.

While I would never do it because I try to keep a low profile, I never had an issue with those who did. As much as I hate to say it; like just about anything else it can be taken too far and then it's taken away, period.
  • Options
    Mr. PerfectMr. Perfect Member, Moderator Posts: 66,372 ******
    edited November -1
    It is important to not confuse doing what is legal with doing what is smart. I wholly advocate carrying openly when it is smart to do so, but those circumstances are rare and usually limited to hunting or where a visible deterrent works well. In most all other cases carrying concealed yields the advantage, and is thus smarter.

That said, it is anyone's right to bear arms, and I see no restrictions in that right as to how they choose to bear them, even stupidly. Furthermore, the 2nd Amendment of the US constitution guarantees that right to Americans, so municipalities that wish to infringe on that right are categorically in the wrong; they are in violation of the highest law in the land.
    Some will die in hot pursuit
    And fiery auto crashes
    Some will die in hot pursuit
    While sifting through my ashes
    Some will fall in love with life
    And drink it from a fountain
    That is pouring like an avalanche
    Coming down the mountain
  • Options
    ruger41ruger41 Member Posts: 14,651 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    We went out to breakfast this morning and went to Old Country Buffet. I was conceal carrying as always. To my suprise a man was open carrying a full size auto. This place had over 60 people inside. Not a peep or learing stare from any of them. I don't believe he was policeman either as he had no badge visible. Kinda nice to know that establishment had no problem with it either. He was up at the buffet line a few times so no way could others not have not noticed..but there were no screams of "GUN" or cops called. No if he were trying that in Seattle instead of Yakima he might have had a problem.
  • Options
    427cobra289427cobra289 Member Posts: 762 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    In CT we get a "Permit to Carry Pistols and Revolvers". I've had mine for 23 years now and was always told by the police and instructors to keep my carry piece concealed so as to not cause a "breach of peace (and be charged)" and this is what I have done.

More recently there has been a number of individuals pushing the open carry idea. With the wording of the Permit I can see their angle but personally I hope their actions don't get the wording changed to open carry only (probably not likely here anyway). I have no problem with others that want to open carry but I prefer concealed carry so as to not be targeted and maintain my level of surprise.
  • Options
    He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 50,964 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1

That activity is not what is meant by 'target practise.'

I would have thought concealed carry was the last. Open carry has been legal here for a long time. Concealed is much more recent. Urban open carry is not real common, and often unnoticed. I nearly always carry when out birding or whatever. No one has ever blinked.