In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Is open carry the last taboo of gun owners?

2»

Comments

• Options
    bambihunterbambihunter Member Posts: 10,701 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Open carry went into effect last Nov. here in Oklahoma and so far I have yet to see a single person carry openly. However, as I feared, there are a LOT more no weapons signs than there was during conceal carry only.
    The only real reason I was happy for the change, is before accidental exposure or "printing" used to be a felony for CCW users.

I also think open carry makes you more of a target, and is more in the face of those around you and generally brings something out of people around you (good or bad).
    Fanatic collector of the 10mm auto.
  • Options
    cce1302cce1302 Member Posts: 9,555 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by ruger41
    We went out to breakfast this morning and went to Old Country Buffet. I was conceal carrying as always. To my suprise a man was open carrying a full size auto. This place had over 60 people inside. Not a peep or learing stare from any of them. I don't believe he was policeman either as he had no badge visible. Kinda nice to know that establishment had no problem with it either. He was up at the buffet line a few times so no way could others not have not noticed..but there were no screams of "GUN" or cops called. No if he were trying that in Seattle instead of Yakima he might have had a problem.

Shhh...don't tell the anti-open carriers...they'll never believe this happens all the time.
  • Options
    ForkliftkingForkliftking Member Posts: 4,907 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I open carry every time I go hunting. It's hard to conceal a rifle or shotgun. [:D][:D][:D]
  • Options
    walliewallie Member Posts: 12,171
    edited November -1
    My view on this is very simple.
    If it is legal in your State,use it or loose it
    Is it dangerous to carry/open carry,DAMN Right it's dangerous.
    The idea is to show,yes advertise,you are not a bad guy. Show the public,legal gun owner are on their side.
    th_fin-02-gununhappy.gif
    But if your going to be a jelly bean and not exercise your right to carry, you will loose that right.
    Then you will be on some forum crying, they took my sling shot at Walmart.
    th_fin10--tantrum.gif
  • Options
    skicatskicat Member Posts: 14,431
    edited November -1
    While I live in a state which doesn't require concealed carry, the culture in MN is such that most of the time open carry in town would be seen as a negative. This is a very liberal enclave and the reality is there are more stupid and uninformed people than there are folks who understand freedom.

Bottom line is that I do not wish to give the idiots any "ammo" in their march to disarm America. If I open carry and upset 100 people and only get a few to warm up to the idea of open carry then I view that as a net loss. That is why I don't open carry in town just to "make a point".

I do open carry at times when it does make sense to people and I judge the net effect will garner more support than negative reaction. When I am the person representing our right to bear arms then I always want to be percieved as stable, thoughtfull, responsible, and in control.
  • Options
    Jim RauJim Rau Member Posts: 3,550
    edited November -1
    As I have said MANY times, I completely support the RIGHT, but from strictly a tactical stand point I advise against it![;)]
  • Options
    MG1890MG1890 Member Posts: 4,649
    edited November -1
    I would love to see the statistic of how many robberies were committed with OPEN CARRY patrons inside the establishment.

Open carry is about deterring crime. Carrying concealed is not a deterrent.

Idiots who freak out over an openly carried firearm simply need to see more, and become acclimated.

Never seen a uniformed officer concealed carry.....
  • Options
    Waco WaltzWaco Waltz Member Posts: 10,828 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Open carry should be done more by dozens organized on certain days to desensitize the public to the sight of guns in public hands.