In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Dodge Charger police cruisers

leadlead Member Posts: 2,311 ✭✭✭
edited April 2013 in General Discussion
It seems like every police dep't in this part of Missouri is dumping their Fords and Chevys for new Dodge Charger cruisers. I must admit they look good, and are very intimidating when coming up behind you with all their lights flashing. I found that out the hard way the other day when one stopped me because he saw I had a brake light out. He was very polite, no ticket, told me to get it changed as quick as I could, and I did!
Is the Dodge the new popular patrol car everywhere, or are we setting the new police fashion trend? I like to think we in Missouri are alot more cutting edge then people give us credit for.

Comments

• Options
    austin20austin20 Member Posts: 35,009 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Around here (Louisville, Ky) they are replacing their Crown Vics with the Taurus.
    Might be because we have two Ford plants in the area.
  • Options
    kidthatsirishkidthatsirish Member Posts: 6,985 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I've seem them in Oklahoma.
  • Options
    shilowarshilowar Member Posts: 38,815 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    We replaced half of our patrol fleet this year with Dodge Chargers. One of the reasons being that we didn't feel comfortable buying a new model car (Police Interceptor) until the kinks are worked out. Our cars have to last 8-10 years. We have a couple older chargers and they've worked well for us. Other PDs have had problems with them, but ours have been good.

Ours are black, tinted windows, full push bumpers and gray graphics...some slick tops, some with clear LED light bars...they look bad *

TownCouncil-photo-2-new-police-vehicles-resized_zps98259c91.jpg
  • Options
    spasmcreekspasmcreek Member Posts: 37,724 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    did the leo agencies get a discount...taxpayers have already made many payments towards these
  • Options
    Horse Plains DrifterHorse Plains Drifter Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 39,400 ***** Forums Admin
    edited November -1
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by spasmcreek
    did the leo agencies get a discount...taxpayers have already made many payments towards these

we buy them at a pre-negotiated price through State bid...so yes they are significantly cheaper than public price...base price for the PPV Hemi Charger is $22,287
  • Options
    TxsTxs Member Posts: 18,801
    edited November -1
    When the Crown Vic went away lots of agencies went to the Charger rather than some entirely new model. However, most agencies I know of that adopted Chargers are already dropping them.

Theyre really good running and handling vehicles, but they tend to stay in the shop more than out on the road. Their maintenance dollars have turned out to be much higher than others.

For example, it's not unusual at all for an agency's Chargers to each have multiple front end rebuilds. The design doesn't handle rough roads well at all.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Flying Clay Disk
    I was looking at one of ours the other day, they might be okay for traffic, but I don't see how you'd ever get someone in the back...at least on the one I looked at.

There was only about 2" between the back of the front seat and the front edge of the back seat. And they're so low I'd have to fold up like a pretzel to even get in front!

They do look cool though.

It is a very tight fit...
  • Options
    spasmcreekspasmcreek Member Posts: 37,724 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    image is everything..get on a black ninja outfit and black shades and growl a lot...really helps bond with the sheeple....don't forget the deadly black equipment
  • Options
    rhythm_guyrhythm_guy Member Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    SO has been using them for 4-5 years here.
  • Options
    NeoBlackdogNeoBlackdog Member Posts: 16,680 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Our sherriffs office is phasing them out in favor of pickups and Chevy Tahoes. We get enough severe weather in the winter that it practically immobilized the deputies trying to drive those Chargers on slick roads. They only have one left. The city just got two new Ford AWD's of some type.

I just asked my wife and she says the new city cars are the Ford Taurus Interceptors.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by NeoBlackdog
    Our sherriffs office is phasing them out in favor of pickups and Chevy Tahoes. We get enough severe weather in the winter that it practically immobilized the deputies trying to drive those Chargers on slick roads. They only have one left. The city just got two new Ford AWD's of some type.

SUVs are more practical, but cost more up front.
  • Options
    sgm hagsgm hag Member Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Local PD here in OK got some chargers recently. The black ones have their markings in flat black...so they can sneak up on you! Dicks! Also found out that just a couple have the Hemi, rest have the V6 (wannabees).
    A cop in a black cruiser stopped me recently for tailight out. He said,"Didn't you see me behind you back there?" I told him that I don't care about people who are behind me for that reason.
    Then he made a comment about my radar detector mounted above the mirror, asking if it was just so I could break the law. What a jerk! Just out trying to flex on me. So, I responded with,"Sir, I don't use it to speed unlawfully. I only use it to find Donnut Stores!"
    He gave me a warning for the tailight which actually came back on due to a short or loose wire. But he said that now I've had a contact, they'll be keeping an eye out for me![V]
  • Options
    rongrong Member Posts: 8,459
    edited November -1
    If I had a reason to be in the back of a
    Police cruiser-comfort would be the last thing
    on my mind.
    ron
  • Options
    retroxler58retroxler58 Member Posts: 32,693 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Out here... DODGE Chargers and FORD Mustangs...
  • Options
    DocDoc Member Posts: 13,899 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I see many Chargers from different agencies around here. I suspect Chrysler is aggressively marketing them to police.

I have never liked front wheel drive cars. I know that about 98% of cars made now are FWD, but I never cared for the handling or the cost of maintenance (including the way they go through front tires). They are cheaper to assembly on the manufacturing line and that's the only reason they have become the standard configuration.

I would think that cops would need not only a relatively fast car to respond and pursue, but also a larger car to accommodate passengers. The Charger is fast but very small. I am not sure if a perfect police vehicle is currently made. Maybe one of the smaller SUVs would work.
    ....................................................................................................
    Too old to live...too young to die...
  • Options
    retroxler58retroxler58 Member Posts: 32,693 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    A few of the lesser budgeted departments in the smaller towns have the CHEVROLET Malibu...

Looks like leetle police cars... [:D]
  • Options
    CubsloverCubslover Member Posts: 18,601 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    My brother picked up his new white Charger K9 unit a couple weeks ago after they retired his trailblazer. He loves it.
    Half of the lives they tell about me aren't true.
  • Options
    sgm hagsgm hag Member Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Remember when Bill Cosby was doing Ford commercials? I saw Eddie Murphy doing a skit and commented that Cosby drove a M. Benz and didn't know sh%t about Fords cause the only time he was actually in a Ford, he was in the back seat, wearing handcuffs![:p]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by rong
    If I had a reason to be in the back of a
    Police cruiser-comfort would be the last thing
    on my mind.
    ron
    It's more than just a matter of comfort.

Not everyone who rides back there is agreeable to the trip. Chargers are the toughest cop car to force someone into the back seat of that I've seen.

Larger folks actually have to ride sitting sideways back there.
  • Options
    monticellotdmmonticellotdm Member Posts: 256 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Here in North Florida some of the State Troopers have black chargers. The local Sheriffs dept. has started using pick-ups.
  • Options
    GUNFUNCOGUNFUNCO Member Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    We just delivered one of the new Chevrolet Caprice Police Vehicles to one of our local small town PD's. It was a leftover 2011 model.

It is a 6.0 Liter V-8 with rear wheel drive and 6 speed trans.

It's assembled in Australia like the Pontiac G-8 and the new Chevrolet SS will be.

I think top speed is 160 mph.

Here is a photo while it was in cleanup and a photo of the window sticker.

IMG_02181.jpg

IMG_02201.jpg
  • Options
    pietro75pietro75 Member Posts: 7,048
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Horse Plains Drifter
    Low bidder.

I read that Dodge made an offer impossible to pass. They are showing up all around out here in N. Idaho as well. They do look neat.
  • Options
    GUNFUNCOGUNFUNCO Member Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have heard the Chargers are very poor in snowy conditions.

One of our salesmen is a volunteer fireman and has a 4X4 Silverado. A couple of years ago, he was on the way to work and had to pull out a Police Charger about 5 times in a half mile stretch of snowy road.
    And we don't even get as much snow as a lot of the more northern counties. His tires were probably good for pursuits on normal roads but were just worthless in snow.
  • Options
    woodhogwoodhog Member Posts: 13,115 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Our local CHP just got an all white mustang. Its really a shock, cause all he other LEO vehicles,( chp, co. sherriff,) are black and white. County and some chp are suvs because of winter and mountain roads. City of Sonora bought 2 chargers.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by GUNFUNCO
    I have heard the Chargers are very poor in snowy conditions.

Our guys feel like they do a lot better in the snow/rain than CVs. We put our folks in a couple old Explorers we have when it snows hard enough to cover the road.
  • Options
    austin20austin20 Member Posts: 35,009 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    We have a few mustangs (unmarked but with a ton of blue and red lights all over them) for traffic on the interstates around here.
  • Options
    MMOMEQ-55MMOMEQ-55 Member Posts: 13,134
    edited November -1
    Our local PD has them also. A friend of mine on the force wants his Crown Vic back. Apparently like most Chrysler products, the transmissions are junk. He said that they do not hold up past 60/70k miles. He also said they don't handle as well as the Crown Vics did. Another problem with them is the seats tear up where their gun belts rub against the seat as they get in and out.
  • Options
    Horse Plains DrifterHorse Plains Drifter Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 39,400 ***** Forums Admin
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by us55840

NEVER seen them use the push bumper but they are added to all the cars = wasted taxpayer $$$
    Kind of wondered how those push bumpers work out with airbag switches in the bumpers? Do they completely disarm the aribag system?
  • Options
    HavegunJoeHavegunJoe Member Posts: 1,575 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    They are all over these days. We've seen a lot on our vacation. Sheriffs as well as SP and locals.
  • Options
    edited November -1

Local PD NEVER turn them off once they leave the station. Apparently with all the electronics they add (computer, etc) ...... if they turn them off the battery goes dead and have to get a jump start.....so the local cop said.

That is a chronic problem...no matter what brand car...batteries go bad, and it messes up some of the computers and cameras when you turn the car on/off constantly. Our garage has tried several products (battery savers and such) and the issue never seems to get resolved. Back when I had marked car with a camera/computer, on my days off if it were more than two days I'd go out and run the car for awhile to make sure it would start the next day for work!
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Horse Plains Drifter

NEVER seen them use the push bumper but they are added to all the cars = wasted taxpayer $$$
    Kind of wondered how those push bumpers work out with airbag switches in the bumpers? Do they completely disarm the aribag system?

no...the push bumpers are mounted to the frame not the bumper. Supposedly they do not impede the function of the airbag sensors.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    That's not actually a push bumper. Most commonly, if the need arises a tow truck is called rather than assuming the liability of possible damage to the other vehicle.

What you're seeing is more of a combination grill guard and mounting point for siren speaker boxes. OSHA no longer allows those loud bazzards to be mounted on the roof and spare under-hood space is almost nonexistent with a Charger.

In addition it's often used as a mounting point for emergency lights, GPS antennas, RFID devices, etc. without having to cut into the car's body.
  • Options
    Dyer_MakerDyer_Maker Member Posts: 1,141 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Our dept. has Crown Vics, Grand Cherokee, Liberty, Trailblazers, Impalas, New and old body style Explores, Chargers and now we just got 5 new Taurus Interceptors. I went from an Impala to the new Interceptor. Day and night difference, the new Interceptor is awesome.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Dyer_Maker
    Our dept. has Crown Vics, Grand Cherokee, Liberty, Trailblazers, Impalas, New and old body style Explores, Chargers and now we just got 5 new Taurus Interceptors. I went from an Impala to the new Interceptor. Day and night difference, the new Interceptor is awesome.

I've had an Impala for several years....nice in the snow but I miss the Crown Vic I had before the Impala. It's going to need a transmission soon.
  • Options
    Marc1301Marc1301 Member Posts: 31,897 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Around here it's a mixture.
    Some of the old boat type cruisers, new Chargers with bars, some Mustangs with bars, and an Expedition here and there.[:)]
    "Beam me up Scotty, there's no intelligent life down here." - William Shatner
  • Options
    Dyer_MakerDyer_Maker Member Posts: 1,141 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Shilowar, I liked my Impala. It was faster than the CV,was good in the snow and was actually pretty comfortable. The Interceptors we got are AWD. Much better in the snow and they are very quick!!
  • Options
    Leeroy JenkinsLeeroy Jenkins Member Posts: 2,295 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by shilowar
    We replaced half of our patrol fleet this year with Dodge Chargers. One of the reasons being that we didn't feel comfortable buying a new model car (Police Interceptor) until the kinks are worked out. Our cars have to last 8-10 years. We have a couple older chargers and they've worked well for us. Other PDs have had problems with them, but ours have been good.

Ours are black, tinted windows, full push bumpers and gray graphics...some slick tops, some with clear LED light bars...they look bad *

TownCouncil-photo-2-new-police-vehicles-resized_zps98259c91.jpg

Same here, but we swapped to the Chevy Tahoe police package.
  • Options
    nemesisenforcernemesisenforcer Member Posts: 10,513 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    They're big in CO too.
  • Options
    MobuckMobuck Member Posts: 13,801 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Loss leader just to get the logo in front of more buyers.