In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Gun safe question

ElChiliePequinElChiliePequin Member Posts: 10 ✭✭
edited May 2006 in Ask the Experts
I'm moving into a new place and I need to buy a gunsafe. I like the browning models but don't know alot about gunsafes. Who else makes a good product that may not have the name recognition of Browning. I don't need anything big. Thinking about the 11/22 + 7 model range. I appreciate the feedback!

Comments

• Options
    edited November -1
    I just got a new fort knox gun safe and wondered what i should do for inside condensation...Its in my unheated garage and i dont want to ruin any of the guns...can anyone give me some pointers as what i should do...im in minnesota and the summers are hot and the winters get cold.Thanks in advance guys :)
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Is there any ways out there to keep a gun safe moisture free or treat it when it gets some inside?
  • Options
    BHAVINBHAVIN Member Posts: 3,490 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Cannon. They have the best warranty and offer alot for the money.
  • Options
    Rebel_JamesRebel_James Member Posts: 4,746
    edited November -1
    www.cannonsafe.com C&P from their website:

Warranty Information

How do you choose a safe?

Look at the Warranty!

Service after the sale
    Gun safes today in many ways have become like automobiles. Each manufacturer offers unique features, making their product different from the rest. Manufactures are quick to entice you to buy, with special promotions and details about what they will do for you before you buy their safe, but very few talk about what they do after the sale. Unfortunately, many safe consumers end up paying more after the sale than what they paid for their safe!

Consumers pay more after the sale because of poor warranties
    While many warranties sound complete, they often do not cover drilling a safe open or shipping the safe cross-country to the factory. These two steps alone often cost more than $1,000. Cannon Safe is the only manufacturer to offer a ZERO COST warranty; we pay for drilling the safe open and freight round-trip from your home to the factory.

The Cannon Safe Difference
    We believe that purchasing a safe is one of the best investments you'll ever make and that your decision is permanent. We believe the warranty should provide hassle-free NO COST repair or replacement after a flood, attempted break-in, break-in or fire. YES, you read correctly. We are the ONLY COMPANY to offer FREE parts, FREE labor and FREE freight for repair of your safe after a burglary, flood or fire. Contact your local dealer for details!

Not all warranties are created equal!

Before buying a safe, ask the following questions:

1. Will you fix the safe in-home?
    2. Who pays for a safe tech to open the safe?
    3. Who pays for a safe tech to repair the safe?
    4. If repair is not possible in-home, who pays the freight to the factory and back?

When you purchase a Cannon Safe the answer is easy. We do!

The Proof is in the Pudding
    Suppose your gun safe was attacked as show by the safe photo above. After an attack, fire or flood, how do you get back into it? Let's examine the steps involved:

1. Safe drilling or opening $150 - $300

2. Safe repair, if possible, in-home $150 -$500+

3. Freight to factory $300+

4. Freight to home from factory $300+

CANNON CUSTOMERS PAY $0
  • Options
    je2140je2140 Member Posts: 225 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Got a Cannon safe from Cabelas a few months ago, highly recommended
  • Options
    zipperzapzipperzap Member Posts: 25,057
    edited November -1
    I have two Brownings - Gold & Platinum and one other similar
    brand. I like the tamper lockers on them and the deflective
    hardened glass sheets over the internal drill sites.

... And ... IF you bolt your safe to the floor (concrete) you'll never
    have a problem with a gang carrying it off![:D]
  • Options
    ForkliftkingForkliftking Member Posts: 4,907 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Any new gun safe on the market today (price ranges up to around $3000.00 can be easily gotten into with the use of a $25.00 air chissel from your local walmart and an air compressor. So extreme security will cost you thousands of dollars. I have a Liberty which I gave $1100 for. It will keep kids and pety theives out. One thing to consider in buying a safe is the fire rating. Shop for one with a good fire rating. But the most important thing is the size of the safe you want. Purchase one at least twice the size of the one you think you need. Believe me, it will get filled up faster than you think. A gun safe salesman preached this to me and I'm glad he did.
  • Options
    brerhunterbrerhunter Member Posts: 48 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have a timber ridge that is great. Looks good enough for any room, even though mine is in my hunting den. I will tell you if you have a Gander MTN. near by check in with them. They have a scratch and dent sale twice a year I think. They are on the back or sides and some times almost unnoticable. They carry many brands. I second getting one that is bigger, I am glad I did.
  • Options
    vafrankovafranko Member Posts: 593 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Glad I happened to read this post. Getting ready to buy a safe and didn't consider a lot of this stuff. Problem after sale is moving safe where I want it...residence or business...know it's going to be a hassle.

frank
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thanks for the input guys. Helps a bunch.
  • Options
    zipperzapzipperzap Member Posts: 25,057
    edited November -1
    quote:forkliftking:
    Any new gun safe on the market today (price ranges up to around $3000.00 can be easily gotten into with the use of a $25.00 air chissel from your local walmart and an air compressor.

That's not true. There is a VAST difference within the realm of gun safes.

Generally, and correct me if I am wrong, safes are rated by the
    amount of time that it takes a PROFESSIONAL SAFE CRACKER to get
    a safe dismantled to the point that the contents can be removed.

For a good quality safe it is 45 minutes - and considerably longer
    if he doesn't have ALL the right tools/torches!

There are some excellent videos out there - my safe salesman
    insisted that I watch the Browning Video before he'd even
    consider selling me the safe! It was 20 minutes WELL spent!

There's a little more than just peeling a good quality
    safe like an orange with an air hammer. Once the lockers
    engage the burglar is in for a real workout - and usually
    a losing one!

Watch the tape and then we'll talk.[:D]
  • Options
    ForkliftkingForkliftking Member Posts: 4,907 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by zipperzap
    quote:forkliftking:
    Any new gun safe on the market today (price ranges up to around $3000.00 can be easily gotten into with the use of a $25.00 air chissel from your local walmart and an air compressor.

There's a little more than just peeling a good quality
    safe like an orange with an air hammer. Once the lockers
    engage the burglar is in for a real workout - and usually
    a losing one!

Watch the tape and then we'll talk.[:D]

There are no lockers on the sides of the safe. Only on the door. If the thickness of the metal your safe is made of is less than 1/4" plate steel, a cold chissel and a 3 lb. hammer will easily cut a hole in the side large enough to empty all of the contents of your safe in less than 10 minutes. An air chissel would only take about one minute. Granted, this would be a rather noisy way to get in it. Last Browning safe I saw advertisied was only made of 11 guage steel. That is slightly thinner than 1/8 inch. I didn't see the video you saw but I'm guessing they only spoke of the lock and door assembly, not the materials in which the side walls are made of. Just my 2 cents.
  • Options
    25-0625-06 Member Posts: 466 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Sir, whatever you do, do not, and I repeat do not, get involved with Sportsman Steel Safe Co. or Pentagon, they are sister companies in California. I got ripped off big time by them and only got my money back because I had paid for the safe with a credit card. I had my problems with them in the general discussion section last year. Got a lot of feedback and 98% of it was from people that had had the same problems I had. They build junk!!! I have two Brownings and they are very nice.