In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Serial numbers

ron65ron65 Member Posts: 66 ✭✭
edited July 2010 in Ask the Experts
I have noticed in some of the auctions part of the serial numbers are purposely covered or partially so. What is the reason for this? Thanks for the information and education.

God Bless The U.S.

Comments

• Options
    edited November -1
    I have noticed knowledgable gun sellers in many cases indicate the year a gun was made based on the serial number. Is there an easy way to get this information for the novice. I have several guns that I would like to obtain this info........Thanks in advance
    Terry
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I have a winchester model 54 that is stamped 30GOVT'06 serial number 23060A. I was wondering if anybody can tell my anything on the history of this rifle. I thank everybody for their time with this.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I had several guns that were to be stored by a relative. Seems they were stored at the local pawn shop. I don't have the list of serial numbers since I gave them to the relative for safe keeping. I know when,where and cost of them. Is there any way to track them?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Do all guns the same model have the same exact serial number or does each one have a unique number?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Would someone please enlighten me as to the reason (Some)people will not list the complete S/N when listing a gun for sale.The only reason I can think of is they are afraid it might be a Stolen Gun. Ron
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Hi, I have a Double barrel shotgun made in belguim I believe in the 1880's by A. Greener. I am wondering if anyone knows when the Greener company started putting serial numbers on their guns. The only things on this one are A. Greener, Belgium. Lamanated Steel and the number 34. Also what does the number 34 stand for?

Caz1259
  • Options
    edited November -1
    if you ran a serial number and it came back as "no history" does that just mean its never been reported stolen or in a crime? it was run through the massachusettes state police, also is a high standard .357 magnum a decent target shooting gun? last but not least, where the hell can you find a holster for it? i mean is this revolver like a smith in size, can it fit into those holsters?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Dumb question that I, a self acknowleged expert, should know what the answer is. But I don't.
    When describing a firearm, the writer often includes a partial serial number on the order of 1234xxxx. Just what, in the way of theft or other misconduct via miscreant , does that prevent????
    It would seem unlikely to me that a full serial number would be of any use by the criminal boneheads of the world.
    Stan
  • Options
    edited November -1
    If a winchester had the last four numbers scratched off, but the first two are not, and the number sequence shows its manufacture date is 1898, is it still in violation, or since its an antique, the missing numbers are all right with the law enforcement? Is there anywhere to find a secondary serial number?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    is there a site that shows mfgr dates for winchester rifles?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I have a friend that has some old guns; a springfield 94a 16 ga. single shot and a remington 552 22 cal. We can not find serial numbers on these guns. Where are they suppose to be located? Thanks, john
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Anybody out there know the site to check up on serial numbers to prove/disprove a stolen gun? Have a suspicious toy would like to check out. Any advice would be appreciated. Sorry if this has been questioned in the past, but I lost the site I had used in the past...

Paul
    Mountain Magic Gunsmithing
  • Options
    edited November -1
    We are new to this site and wondered if you can tell us about the serial numbers. Most are listed as numbers and x's (as in 645xx). Could someone please explain??

Thank you[:o)]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Why are serial numbers always not fully disclosed? For example 1234XX.
    Miles

When in doubt go faster
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I decided it was time to get a list of all my serial numbers. I did not find numbers on two of my guns. One is a Remington 514, .22 bolt action, the other is a Remington 572 .22 pump. Am I not looking in the right place, or do they not have serial numbers? Thanks!
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I hava a Glock model 19 with the serial number 0000. I was just wondering if this affects the value of the gun?
  • Options
    iwannausernameiwannausername Member Posts: 7,131
    edited November -1
    Or afraid it might be reported stolen, and taken from them. Or that the local police, etc. might "register" it to them.
  • Options
    Spider7115Spider7115 Member, Moderator Posts: 29,714 ******
    edited November -1
    Unfounded paranoia.
  • Options
    HerschelHerschel Member Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I agree with Spider7115. Often when this topic comes up I ask for any instance where the false stolen report, etc. has occurred. No one has ever provided one. It could result in the new "owner" of a stolen gun losing it if it came to light that it had been stolen in the past and not recovered.
  • Options
    Bert H.Bert H. Member Posts: 11,279 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hello Ron,

This same question is asked several times each year. Here is a recent discussion with multiple links to other similar topics...

http://forums.gunbroker.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=440114
  • Options
    Horse Plains DrifterHorse Plains Drifter Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 39,408 ***** Forums Admin
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Spider7115
    Unfounded paranoia.
    Yep.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by forgemonkey
    ,,,,what would you do re the following,,,,,gun purchased from an on line auction,,,,,turned out to be a scam,,,,,pix mailed via of pvt e/m showing serial number,,,,,,,,would you file a stolen gun report with authorities knowing the pictured gun is probably legally owned by an innocent person,,,,,,,just askin',,,,caused it happened to me,,,[V]

How can you (or anyone for that matter) file a "stolen gun" report on a gun you never owned?

What needed to be reported (to the FBI) was a fraudulent internet sale (scam). The legal owner of the gun still has possession of it, and he/she should not need to become involved in the investigation of internet fraud.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Bert,,,,not sure re the legal aspects,,,,,,if the gun was offered for sale and a cashiers check for the gun was cashed would this constitute change of ownership and complete the fraud ?????,,,,,somewhat of a gray area ????,,,,,

No, it does not constitute a change of legal ownership. The true owner of the gun did not sell it to you, and therefore, there is no "gray area". You got ripped off by someone who never owned the gun, and this unfortunately happens quite frequently on the internet.

Your local LEO does not sound like a very bright person, as he/she should be fully aware of who and how to file an internet based fraudulent sale.

As for the original (true) owner of the gun, how do you (or local law enforcement) even know who or where that person is located?

What it boils down to is this... the gun itself was never stolen, but pictures of it were posted on the internet (fraudulently), and some scam artist (thief) sold you something that he never legally possessed.

As I mentioned before, this is an all too common scam that is perpetrated, and quite often, by somebody not within the U.S. borders. The tip-off to these scam artists is that they never have any feedback, and that they are very newly listed members. They make one fake sale, immediately drop the registered name they just used, and then establish a new user name and move on to the next victim. If a seller has an "NR" rating, buyer beware. If you have any doubts about the item for sale, ask the seller for an additional picture with some type of an identifying object in the immediate background (e.g. a quarter with the tails side up). A true owner/seller can easily provide the picture, while the thief can not.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    ,,,,,followup to above,,,,local LEO and Atty. suggested the filing of a theft report,,,,,,I declined,,,,no way would I want an innocent person (legal owner) to be in the 'hot seat' for a $500 gun,,,,,,

That was a mistake on your part... you should have filed a theft report for the $500 cashiers check.