In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Colt Python

2»

Comments

• Options
    mandersonmanderson Member Posts: 533 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Mr. Christian, as usual, is quite correct. I would only add that if you are considering a purchase, don't be hasty. Python's are what got me hooked on this "addiction" in the first place. I have six now. Got ripped on my first and paid way too much because I didn't do my homework first. You'll find that any Python priced at $800 or below is going to go pretty quick and you should jump on it if it is in real good shape. If it's an older "E" series or even earlier without the "E" prefix (only numbers) it will usually be tagged for around $1000. The very early 1956-1957 models with full checkered grips and hollow underlug will easily bring $1200 or more. This is what the market commands, but not necessarily what a Python is worth according to many experts.

This web site will help you date a Colt up through 1978.

http://proofhouse.com/colt/

I believe the "K" series ran from around 1980 through 1982, but I don't have documentation on them.

All of mine are blue. (I have no interest in nickel Pythons, except for maybe the "K" series .38 Special Target. For some reason I want one of these to have a matching set.)

There's always the age old argument "to shoot or not to shoot". They won't get you through retirement, but I believe the older Pythons in 99-100% will certainly continue to appreciate in value as time goes on.