In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

What type of steel is best for custom bolt?

rcoanercoane Member Posts: 155 ✭✭✭
edited December 2009 in Ask the Experts
I have a 788 in 22-250. I needed a bolt. I found a custom machine shop that will make it. I have a bolt for them to copy. I just dont know what type of steel to have them use. I would also like to correct some of the issues that the 788 bolt had. Like the bolt handle. Im also thinking of going to 3 solid lugs. Im also thinking of using howa or 700 intenal parts. This shop is owned by a freind and the sky is the limit. Price is a shot gun I have that he wants. I want a 788 that will shoot custom loads.

Comments

• Options
    shoff14shoff14 Member Posts: 11,994 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Your better off buying a 700 bdl [;)].

The question your asking is way to broad and lacking quantifiable data that could be used to determine what the best material is for the job.
    With out having quantifiable data to back up the material choice, testing that material choice to failure, you are setting yourself up with a ticking time bomb.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    That is the purpose of the question. To get expert info on bolt constuction. Do you have any knowledge of bolt constuction that could help me not blow myself up?
  • Options
    perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    Most bolts for centerfire rifles are made of very good quality steel in its Raw soft state BUT THEN it is Heat treated I do some machine work and there are Many custom Gun Builders IMHO this is NOT a project for the normal guy running a machine shop. I suggest you talk to brownell's tech dept.
  • Options
    MPMP Member Posts: 265 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Talk with these folks about the proper steel, they make bolts for Remingtons.
    http://www.pacifictoolandgauge.com/index.htm
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thanks Perry and MP. I have contacted both contacts and waiting for responce. Shoff14, I have a 700. I also have a 788 that needs a bolt. What quantifiable data did you want? 22-250 65000+ psi standard load. 1.6875" of potential lug surface contact. .695 bolt face dia. Please tell me what elongation I should expect? What tinsol and rc do you recomend? Quantify this data. I can provide more data. I just thought it would be easier to find out what most manufactures make there bolts from. "Quantify!"
  • Options
    cussedemguncussedemgun Member Posts: 985 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    rcoane,

You say "I'm also thinking of using howa or 700 internal parts"

The internal workings of the Rem.788 was the ONLY real reason for it's popularity & desirability. As manufactured, the Rem.788 had the best lock time of any commercial gun. Change that & all you have left is an "aardvark" Bubba special.

You say "correct some of the issues - - - like the bolt handle" & "I have a bolt for them to copy"

Why not have the old bolt handle welded back on? Learn from past mistakes, the Rem.788 is not the gun to hot-rod (never was, never will be).

You say "I want a 788 that will shoot custom loads".

Believe it or not, maximum pressure limits are devised for a reason other than to repress you. If you are going to try hotter & hotter loads, there are much better guns avalible for a starting platform. You need something like the Japanese Ariska or the Enfield 1917 action. They both have strong enough bolt systems so the first thing to go is the side of the barrel/reciever ring.

You ask "what type of steel?"

Pick whatever he has on hand that will machine easily. Your project, by design is going to fail anyway so why hard-time him just because he's a friend!

Jim
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thanks for the confidance Jim. I my self have no bolt. I have one on loan to copy. The handles do break off and Id like the one I'm having made to be better. Im thinking of howa or 700 (firing pin assembly, bolt handle, extracter and plug) because they are avalible.
    I do value your suggestion on not hot rodding it.
    Remember the equipment used to make the origanal bolt was not as good as what highquality shops have today. This isn't that hard according to my gun smith. The correct steel + perfect copy + heat treatment + fitting by gunsmith = new bolt. The gunsmith said he doesn't have the equipment to make the bolt, but can do the rest.
    If you think my gunsmith is full of it, let me know and I'll abort the mission.
  • Options
    5mmgunguy5mmgunguy Member Posts: 3,853
    edited November -1
    I would make the bolt out of 4140, the same stuff they make CM barrels out of. You can double check but it I think it is heat treatable. The rear locking lugs will be fun. Have fun with your project!
  • Options
    Hawk CarseHawk Carse Member Posts: 4,369 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Wisner's used to make replacement 788 bolts. Since they no longer do, maybe they would tell you what alloy and heat treatment they used.
    http://www.wisnersinc.com/

You can buy pre heattreated chrome moly 4xxx steel, it would be harder to machine but you would know what you had.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    MP thanks again you sent me to the right place[:D].
    Pacific tool and guage contacted me and said chrome molly 4140. Said 788 bolt is easy to make and should be no problem for most machine shops. They dont make them because of part avalibility and remington discontinued and recalled rifle. I should use what ever internal parts that have a bolt plug that looks good and firing pin is not too short. he said that because the 788 bolt body is thicker than, and shorter than, most bolts just about anything will work with a little modification to spring and firing pin. I should try to get a 788 extracter to help keep bolt face cosistant with spec. They said that they have seen these bolts with lug modifications to prevent the bolt from getting stuck but its a waste of time.
    He also gave me pointers on hot loads. Jim is correct, dont do it its too hard to get the lugs to get enough contact.

Thanks for the help. Ill have my next of kin drop a line if I blow my head off.[;)]
  • Options
    cussedemguncussedemgun Member Posts: 985 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    rcoane,

If you do make a bolt body, why not go ahead & run 100?

The set-ups are the time consuming part of machining. As long as you are doing, make it pay!

Jim
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Jim
    That is a great idea. Make the body. Leave it long so it can be fit to any 788. Just a blank with lugs and grooves. Id have paid $100.00 for that. [^]