In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Year of Manufacture

seb1999seb1999 Member Posts: 343 ✭✭✭
edited February 2003 in Ask the Experts
I am trying to find out the year of manufacture of my Webley & Scott 12 gauge 3" chamber single. I now know that it is a quality trap gun with an extreme full choke and that the original monte carlo cheek piece has been removed fron the english stock.

Webley & Scott was purchased by Holland & Holland and now they only make airguns and state clearly on their web site they cannot supply any info on firearms.

Do you think I could get this info by writing to Holland & Holland or are they above supplying this information? The address I have is:

Holland & Holland
31-33 Bruton Street
LONDON
W1X 8JS

Has anyone here written to them or needed info and got it? Was there an individual that you wrote to or received it from?

Captain K if this should not be here please lock the topic and I will ask in the other forum.

I should have stated the sn. no. is 721xx

Comments

• Options
    edited November -1
    Have Ruger #1 S# 131-2XXXX When was it made?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I AM LOOKING FOR THE YEAR OF MANUF. FOR MY S&W MOD. 29.2, 8&3/8 BARREL, BLUED WITH SER.#N337678, REVOLVER.
    I KNOW I CAN GET A HISTORY FROM S&W BUT I ONLY WANT TO KNOW THE YEAR.

ANY HELP YOU CAN PROVIDE WILL BE APPRECIATED.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    What year was my Sprinfield made and what would it possibly be worth in the book. Stainless 1911 A-1 2 10 round mags.90-95%conditon. Serial # HC 371xx. As always thanks for your replies.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I have a Long Tom shotgun given to me by my father and I would like to know if anyone knows what year it was manufactured. There is a #588 and letters "K" and "I" are stamped on the barrel. The letter "I" is also stamped on the trigger group with the same #588. Any info would be greatly appreciated.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    can any one tell me what year remington started making thier lightweight shotguns
  • Options
    captkirk3@dslextreme.comcaptkirk3@dslextreme.com Member Posts: 3,804
    edited November -1
    You're fine where You are...This is what the Ask the Experts are here for...You've asked a SPECIFIC Question about a Firearm..Not a discussion about a Firearm.....As for your question about contacting H&H...My answer is YES...You have nothing to lose but the price of the Postage and Paper....

Captain Kirk, Tech Staff
  • Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thanks R-S I looked at the table but I think there is a discrepancy.

The firearm is chambered 3" 12 Gauge and I do not think this caliber was made until around 1935 by Winchester ( I am not an authority on ammo so I may be off a few years) and it is narked Webley & Scott, Birmingham and I think that table may be applicable to W.C Scott firearms the precursor to Webley & Scott, Birmingham.

Anyway the search goes on!
  • Options
    edited November -1
    No offense ment Sir, as I know blessed litle about Trap Shooting, but I have never run across a shotgun specifically made and sold from the factory as a "TRAP" Gun chambered for 3" Magnum. Specially one made in England.
    In your post you note the stock has been reworked, sometime in the past.
    If I was a betting man I'ld be willing to wager that you shotgun had been rechambered at the same time.
    And if it originally left the factory purposely built as a "Trap Gun" was chambered for 2 3/4" or shorter shells.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    No offence taken R-S, however as I sit here at the PC with the gun on my lap I can tell you the following:

The barrel is marked 3" 3 1/2 Tons per square (and the square is a square!!) inch with the appropriate British proof marks and the inch is the symbol " the barrel has not been reworked!!!

The barrel is sn marked, the receiver is marked the same as is the forestock and the butt stock. The receiver is a beautiful case hardened finish with lots of color. The butt plate is marked Webley.

I have owned this gun since 1962 when I purchased it used at the age of 18 at which time I was a resident of Ontario, Canada.

I have had email from England and the sender said that he had never heard of a Webley & Scott single but that since I owned one he had to admit that one did exist.

The local authority here in Myrtle Beach, SC first said that it was a Rook Rifle and has since said that in his opinion it was a trap gun, probably a custom job but he wanted to hear from Holland & Holland and I was pleasantly surprised at his valuation.

I thought I might be able to accelerate the process here on Gunbroker.

From what I understand Winchester started to manufacture 3" 12 gauge shotshells in the early to mid thirties.

As I sid previously the search goes on!!!
  • Options
    edited November -1
    According to "The Standard Directory Of Proof Marks" by G. Wirnsberger. The English "Proof Rules Of 1925" established the practice at the Birmingham Proof House of "marking of gauge as well as SHELL LENGTH for smoothbored barrels"
    Given this wasn't the practice prior to 1925, I still don't believe your shotgun originally left the W & S factory chambered for 3" shells, given it's apparent age.
    The easiest way to settle this is the proof marks on the shotgun,
    guns that were sent back for repair or rework were marked with a "CROWN over R" proof. Does your shotgun have this proof?

If your "LOCAL AUTHORITY" in Myrtle Beach doesn't know the difference between a Rook Rifle and a 12 Gauge Shotgun any confidence I would have in him regarding the identification and appraisal of firearms would be severely shaken.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Here is what is on the barrel (on the right hand side):

.729" then under a crown B\P the backward slash mark has an upward mark almost making it look like a lopsided V the number 12 in a diamond then 3" then below that 3 1/2 TONS per than a small square and then "

The portion that fits in the receiver at the bottom of the barrel is 721xx and the portion that goes in the forestock is marked 2xx as it is little more than a half an inch long.

What does everyone think?