In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

M1 Carbine

2»

Comments

• Options
    shilowarshilowar Member Posts: 38,815 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    if my m1 was sold to a overseas goverment what would an import marking look like?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Was looking through some GB auctions and ran across an New Manufactured M1 carbine made in Israel. It shows the gun with a bayonet lug. Can you still manufacture new guns with a removable clip and a bayonet lug?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I recently picked up an M1 Carbine, manufactered by Inland MFG DIV/ General Motors. It has a barrel stamp of 10-43, but also has the stamp of Blue Sky/ Arlington, VA. Everything appears to be original and shows very little wear. The stock is pretty clean and has cartouche markings on it. I dont necessarily want to get rid of this, but I would like to know if it has any value. Any info would be appreciated.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    "I say ,I say"here I am again with another small problem with an inherited piece. I have an M1 carbine that I cannot find any name on. How do I determine who made it and whether it is military or after market???? It has an SG on the bottom of the reciever an r by the trigger and an M50 on the mag release. It has the irc 715006d adjustable rear site. Does the SG mean Saginaw perhaps???. There is no name under the rear site on the top of the reciever. I would appreciate it if any one can give me the info.
    Thanks
    Yo-Sam
  • Options
    edited November -1
    hi ive just collected a cupple of m1's one is a gm and the other is a universal should i keep both or sell? is the uni. worth keeping? they are both in 75% or maby a little better condition[:p]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Looking for a book that will tell the history of, and ins and outs of the M1. Would like to buy a one before they are $1500 each, but want to know how to tell originals from junk or parts guns. Thanks as always, B.C..[:p]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Can someone help me with a question on the M1 Carbine Paratrooper. Witch ones are worth the most? How can I tell what I have by looking at the gun. Thanks for any help.
    Kent
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Would appreciate info on how to remove and install rear flip sight on carbine. Is there a tool made for this or can it be removed with a punch, and from which direction? Thanks
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I have had problems with my M1 Carbine manufactured by National Ordinance Inc. #7541 ever since I got the thing, the problem is feeding. When I'm shooting it, it will jam up and not feed the next round, and not eject the previous one properly. I tried a thorough cleaning of the bolt and receiver, but it still gives me problems, I was wondering if anyone had some tips on what to do with this. Thank You.

Chad Simpson
  • Options
    edited November -1
    i have just purchased a iver johnson m1 carbine from a freind for $200. the rifle is in mint condition does anyone know what the top value of this rifle is????
    http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=57379931
    this is not mine. mine is in much better shape!!!!!
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Good Afternoon,
    If given a choice would you prefer an IBM or NPM?
    Thank You
    Jphn
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I obtained an M1 Carbine from a friend of mine. On the barrel i discovered the name Rock Ola,but i also discovered the Inland Division name and a serial number:6252521. It is in a mint condition. What is the value nowadays?
    Please help me out. [:)]

Sincerely yours John De Neef.

john de neef
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I'm new to military collectables so this maybe a dumb question. Was the M 1 carbine ever made in full auto version? If so what could be expected for the going rate for one of these if a person was going to go through with all the paperwork and pay the taxes?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Just passed on a Rock-Ola M1 carbine. Price was $250.00, but saw no flaming bomb,the stock was re-worked, and there was no bayonet lug.Also no other ordanance markings. What do you think?

john tenerowicz
  • Options
    edited November -1
    A good friend of mine who was a glider pilot and made four glider landings in Europe gave me his M1 Carbine recently. It has the swinging metal stock and the following identification:"ROCK-OLA 4581936". Does anyone know who manufactured it and what is is worth? It means more to me as a keepsake but I am just curious.
    Thanks,
    dchristian
  • Options
    edited November -1
    While cleaning my carbine I noticed that the barrel and receiver were stamped SAGINAW ??? GENERAL MOTORS. The trigger group is Inland and the slide has a big "Z" stamped on the bottom. Haven't seen many "Saginaw" carbines. Any collectors value? Think I got this probably 30 to 40 years ago thru DCM, but really not sure..
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Can anyone tell me where to find import stamp on carbine if it has one ? And how do I know if I have a decent gun or not ?
    ATF
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Anyone heard of independent arms m1 carbine ? What would they be worth in great condition ?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Is there a website that gives good deailed info on the m1 Carbine?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Looking to buy an M1 Carbine as a collector piece. Need some education. Most sought after? Correct markings? Price isnt a problem. Want best of the best. Thanks
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I was wondering if anyone knew a left handed saftey lever is avalible for the M1 Carbine or if its possible for the existing lever to be fliped around so it can be better opperated by a left-handed shooter.
  • Options
    perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    Maybe the inlands will be like the one Locust Fork has for sale[:D][:D][:D] I cant help you much but do know most Carbines were rebuilt many times .original had flip down sight and NO bayonet mount most all the parts had makers name and all matching is a big +++.
  • Options
    bartman45bartman45 Member Posts: 3,008 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    They all have been rebuilt through the years after WW2. I'm sure there are a few that have not; however, with that being said, it would not be that difficult to track down one manufacture's parts and rebuild to original WW2 configuration. I have an Inland my father got from the DCM in the early 60's, and of course it was rebuilt at the armory and has a Rockola stock, and other parts and pieces replaced by different makers.
  • Options
    nmyersnmyers Member Posts: 16,880 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    A muzzle wear gauge is the most important thing to take. If you get a real MW gauge, .5-1.0 would be a new barrel, but 1.0-3.0 should be serviceable. Beyond that, walk away as there are no new USGI replacement barrels out there. Even a new commercial barrel will run $400 (installed).

A single round of USGI M2 ball (.30-06) inserted point first in the muzzle makes an acceptable "poor man's" muzzle wear gauge. Measure the amount of copper jacket that still shows. 5/16"=new, 1/4"=slightly used, 1/8"=moderate use, none=needs replacement.

Throat erosion is not a problem with a carbine (it fires a pistol round). Check the bore for bulges. Check the bore for a flat spot (Blue Sky sometimes stamped the importer marking so hard it flattened the barrel.)

There are some good imports, especially from Arlington. Bring a screwdriver to loosen the barrel band, necessary to remove the action from the stock. (Never remove the barrel band screw, as it is staked on the end.) Import markings are sometimes on the receiver under the wood line.

Some folks throw in accessories like slings, oilers, ammo, some of which can be valuable.

Neal
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by nmyers
    A muzzle wear gauge is the most important thing to take. If you get a real MW gauge, .5-1.0 would be a new barrel, but 1.0-3.0 should be serviceable. Beyond that, walk away as there are no new USGI replacement barrels out there. Even a new commercial barrel will run $400 (installed).

A single round of USGI M2 ball (.30-06) inserted point first in the muzzle makes an acceptable "poor man's" muzzle wear gauge. Measure the amount of copper jacket that still shows. 5/16"=new, 1/4"=slightly used, 1/8"=moderate use, none=needs replacement.

Throat erosion is not a problem with a carbine (it fires a pistol round). Check the bore for bulges. Check the bore for a flat spot (Blue Sky sometimes stamped the importer marking so hard it flattened the barrel.)

There are some good imports, especially from Arlington. Bring a screwdriver to loosen the barrel band, necessary to remove the action from the stock. (Never remove the barrel band screw, as it is staked on the end.) Import markings are sometimes on the receiver under the wood line.

Some folks throw in accessories like slings, oilers, ammo, some of which can be valuable.

Neal

If I had to guess they are probably CMP guns as 5 M1 carbines and several M1s were pawned at the same time. I've done several good gun deals with the pawn shop owner and he is close friends with several of my friends so he wouldn't sell me any junk. He only sells guns to folks he knows, he doesn't keep them out for public sale. He already sold two paratroopers out of this group that were pawned.

That is very helpful BTW, I'll probably measure & mark a M2 ball round with those measurements and take that.
  • Options
    competentonecompetentone Member Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by tommyjoe
    Just make sure it isn't a Blue Sky or some other import, and you'll do ok.

There is nothing wrong with most Blue Sky re-imports. (I guess a few had their barrels stamped too hard that it actually "mashed" the barrel some, so some people think they are "bad.")

They may not be a "collectable," but if you're looking for a "shooter" M1 Carbine, they can be great. Personally, I see them as having "history" not dissimilar to other Carbines, so the re-import markings are not that big of a problem.

I'd also bet that some Blue Sky, or other re-imports, have probably had their barrels changed (since that can be the only place they were stamped) and are resold without anyone knowing it.
  • Options
    gary wraygary wray Member Posts: 4,663
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by competentone
    quote:Originally posted by tommyjoe
    Just make sure it isn't a Blue Sky or some other import, and you'll do ok.

There is nothing wrong with most Blue Sky re-imports. (I guess a few had their barrels stamped too hard that it actually "mashed" the barrel some, so some people think they are "bad.")

They may not be a "collectable," but if you're looking for a "shooter" M1 Carbine, they can be great. Personally, I see them as having "history" not dissimilar to other Carbines, so the re-import markings are not that big of a problem.

I'd also bet that some Blue Sky, or other re-imports, have probably had their barrels changed (since that can be the only place they were stamped) and are resold without anyone knowing it.

Ditto the comment on the Blue Sky. I have one that is as good as my other three US Carbines and I like it a lot.....Korean all the way including the sling! Early BS got bad reviews but the later ones are as good as any Samsung TV actually. Just have to be careful and do the barrel checks as recommended.