In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

The Amish are taking over

ProceramicProceramic Member Posts: 334
edited May 2019 in General Discussion
Interesting! I live among a large population of Amish and have absolutely no issue with this. Except I wish they'd shower more than once a week. :D

https://youtu.be/XDUXX_KzISo

Comments

• Options
    Smitty500magSmitty500mag Member Posts: 13,603 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Better them than the muslims and mexican's.
  • Options
    Sam06Sam06 Member Posts: 21,254 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    +100000
    RLTW

• Options
    hoosierhoosier Member Posts: 1,522 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    As Amish person a FFL can not sell as they don't have the required identification.
    Even so the Amish in our area are very well armed.

Savage 110 and Axis Rifles abound for hunting.
    But... many have AR-15 and and other such. One family Group has nothing but HK 91 (real stuff). They buy magazines, ammo and parts from me. They are quite well stocked.

Many even work for home builders in the area and are well paid for their hard work.So items are not out of their $$$ limit.

Being mostly self sufficient they do go to Walmart and stock up on Flour, salt , and other items they can't produce or trade for.
    Magazines, Gun Parts and More. US Army Veteran, VFW, NRA Patron
  • Options
    hillbillehillbille Member Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    would much rather have them than illegals and muslims, just wish they had to pay taxes like the rest of us.....
  • Options
    RugerNinerRugerNiner Member Posts: 12,637 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I sold a few guns to the Amish, living in the heart of Amish Country, Lancaster, PA.
    Keep your Powder dry and your Musket well oiled.
    NRA Lifetime Benefactor Member.
  • Options
    jimdeerejimdeere Member, Moderator Posts: 25,717 ******
    edited November -1
    I was in Intercourse, Pennsylvania, many years ago. Walking down the street, I passed an Amish buggy full of children parked at the curb. As I glanced back, one of the prettiest young ladies I have ever seen was looking back, smiling. I mean, she was drop dead gorgeous!
    Nearly took my my breath!
    I was with my wife?s friends husband, Randy. I said ?Randy, that pretty Amish girl was smiling at me!?
    Randy said, without hesitation, ?So what, Jim? First time I saw you, I laughed out loud.?
  • Options
    remingtonoaksremingtonoaks Member Posts: 26,251 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    hillbille wrote:
    would much rather have them than illegals and muslims, just wish they had to pay taxes like the rest of us.....

Amish people pay taxes just like the rest of us, you're only exempt from Social Security and Medicare taxes.

Most people are required to pay Social Security and Medicare taxes if they work, but there are exceptions. While the Amish community pays state and federal income taxes and property and sales taxes, the group is exempt from paying Social Security or Medicare.

This is because the Amish community views the Social Security tax as a form of commercial insurance and is adamantly opposed to it. The group believes in self-sufficiency rather than relying on government aid programs. Amish families take care of their dependents and their elderly, accepting support from their community if needed. After clashes with the government, controversy over their rights and public support of the Amish position, the U.S. Congress exempted the Amish from participating in Social Security in 1965. They neither pay into the system nor use the benefits. They also do not accept welfare or unemployment benefits

So would you rather them put their women and children on welfare like other minority groups, and have their elderly on Social Security even though they still work from sunup till sundown until they can no longer work? Or would you rather them to continue to be self-sufficient like they are?

Sounds like a great system to me, and I'm glad they don't. It relieves a burden on the rest of us taxpayers.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    You are exactly correct,Remingtonoaks. My Amish neighbors are great,they stop by every summer/fall to pick some of my pears and apples and in return they always bring me back fresh baked bread and homemade peanut brittle for my girls. They also keep me well stocked with local raw honey at $24 a gallon! 8-)
  • Options
    mag00mag00 Member Posts: 4,719 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    hillbille wrote:

I just wish I DIDN"T have to pay taxes.
  • Options
    montanajoemontanajoe Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 58,083 ******
    edited November -1
    No problem with that here. Would be fine with me.
  • Options
    buschmasterbuschmaster Member Posts: 14,229 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
  • Options
    Quick&DeadQuick&Dead Member Posts: 1,466 ✭✭
    edited April 2019
    hillbille wrote:

The Amish do pay taxes ........ same as the Hutterites that are in this area. Unlike the Amish, the Hutterites embrace the latest technology, all modern farming equipment, have cell phones/computers, etc. They are hard workers and excel at metal fabrication, woodworking, and multiple other occupations. Each colony tends to have one specialty they promote and commercialize. The colonies are pretty self sufficient, have their own schools, etc. There is much 'trade' between colonies. The men but not the women, have drivers licenses but have never known any to own a firearm.
    The government has no rights. Only the people have rights which empowers the government.
    We have enough gun laws, what we need is IDIOT control.
    Blood makes you related. Loyalty makes you family.

I thought getting old would take longer. :shock:
  • Options
    edited November -1

Sadly, there are areas in the USA that the muslimes and mexicans have TAKEN over. :evil:
    The government has no rights. Only the people have rights which empowers the government.

• Options
    castingcasting Member Posts: 110
    edited November -1
    They aren't poor. They're also cash only. They don't believe in banks or maybe they don't trust them.
  • Options
    redneckandyredneckandy Member Posts: 9,687 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I worked with em a few times. They work harder than most people I know. They don't talk much, at least not around me.
  • Options
    WearyTravelerWearyTraveler Member Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1

Amen to that! We've got a small but growing group locally. I don't know about their hygiene but what worries me is their horse n buggy traffic. I'm afraid that I'll round a curve and run up on one. Other than that, they're great!
    ”People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."
    - GEORGE ORWELL -
  • Options
    wpageabcwpageabc Member Posts: 8,760 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    They sound better then the Hassidic Jews we have around here. They declare their homes temples so they are tax exempt from property tax. However, they do not miss any advantages that other tax payers have paid for.
    "What is truth?'
  • Options
    select-fireselect-fire Member Posts: 69,453 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Only experience with Amish were positive. A shake of a mans hand means everything. I fished some of the best ponds ever that they let me in on. They got first dibs on all the fish I caught.
  • Options
    MobuckMobuck Member Posts: 13,810 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The AMISH will cheat an "English" as much and as often as possible. If you think you're getting a bargain from a "black hat" you're WRONG. Lots of them in north MO and southern Iowa and all follow the same ideas. I've hired them to work for me and supervised their work for others so I do know a bit about their philosophy.
  • Options
    spasmcreekspasmcreek Member Posts: 37,724 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    i have heard the farmers sell all their grain in the churches name and it is doled back out to them ....avoids taxess.....their little tractors have a high road gear so they can go zipping to town...no licenses, no tags , no road fuel tax, insurance ??....they play the system to the max and sell service and work at a high rate.....
  • Options
    He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 50,964 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    We buy furniture from a fine fellow in Ohio south of Akon and Canton. I have never seen him packing.
  • Options
    babunbabun Member Posts: 11,054 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    When me and the wifey used to sell at fairgrounds and big yard sale events, I always had a table set up with ammo and gun stuff.
    The Amish were some of my best customers. Never haggled price, just picked up the ammo they wanted and handed me the cash. And they bought a LOT of it.
    Once had 250 rd boxes of Nato 5.56 ammo linked for the SAW m-16 type gun.
    One Amish guy picked up a box and I said it's linked but it can be used in any 5.56 gun if broken down.

Quietly said, "It's good the way it is".
    5.56_ammo.jpg

I didn't say anything more.............
  • Options
    droptopdroptop Member Posts: 8,367 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    hillbille wrote:
    '
    In 1961, the United States Internal Revenue Service announced that since the Amish refuse Social Security benefits and have a religious objection to insurance, they need not pay these taxes. ... Amish employees of non-Amish employers are taxed, but they do not apply for benefits.

Everyone pays income taxes, lots of folks pay no tax on income of less than $90,000 when they work overseas ??? that was years ago not sure what the amount is now.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    spasmcreek wrote:
    i have heard the farmers sell all their grain in the churches name and it is doled back out to them ....avoids taxess.....their little tractors have a high road gear so they can go zipping to town...no licenses, no tags , no road fuel tax, insurance ??....they play the system to the max and sell service and work at a high rate.....

I have never seen any farmer license a 'farm tractor' nor any requirement to do so. :lol:

• Options
    edited November -1
    Quick&Dead wrote:
    spasmcreek wrote:

I have never seen any farmer license a 'farm tractor' nor any requirement to do so. :lol:

I've never seen an Amish own or drive any motor vehicle.
  • Options
    babunbabun Member Posts: 11,054 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Proceramic wrote:
    Quick&Dead wrote:
    spasmcreek wrote:

They always came to the big yard sale events in a rented white passenger van with an "English" driver. 8 to 14 of them in each van. The womens went one way and the men another to buy from the sale tables.
  • Options
    Aztngundoc22Aztngundoc22 Member Posts: 2,314 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    OK :

We have a "mennonite" community (farm) real close to us : Great fresh foods !

Never noticed any of them needing a bath ???

And :

I have seen a few of the 'females' that was just outstanding ( looks ) : almost makes me want to join up with them !!!! YUM !!!

Thanks !!!
    The more people I meet : The more I like my Dog :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

I Grew Old Too Fast (And Smart Too damn Slow !!!) !!! :o :?
  • Options
    select-fireselect-fire Member Posts: 69,453 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Rumor has it some of the mennonite girls in high school would bring xtra clothes to school and then change back to their mennonite clothes before going home.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    spasmcreek wrote:
    Yes, but you get what you pay for, the best only costs a little more. :mrgreen::mrgreen:

Apparently the Amish get up early and go to bed late,, obviously they don't go to sleep right away. ;) I'm coming back as Amish, heard their waiting line is shorter than the others.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-p0nWnyIz3Q
  • Options
    Okie743Okie743 Member Posts: 2,597 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If some of them immigrates had to help the Amish with their chores them free loader immigrates would head back fast where they came from with their shirt tail flapping in the breeze. ;)
  • Options
    He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 50,964 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Proceramic wrote:
    Quick&Dead wrote:
    spasmcreek wrote:

Amish fellow I knew in Missouri owned a truck with a gutter fabricating machine in it. The machine was powered by a hand crank, and he hired a none Amish driver for the truck. He did a nice business and made fine gutters.
  • Options
    MobuckMobuck Member Posts: 13,810 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Don't confuse Amish and Mennonite. It is an insult to some Amish.
  • Options
    mrmike08075mrmike08075 Member Posts: 10,998 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    As a specialized USDA trained and certified produce quality control inspector I spent quite a bit of time in ephrata PA (wawa procurement and distribution center - sunrise cross dock facility - Amish heartland country - Pennsylvania Dutch country) amongst the Amish - including touring agricultural aspects of their homesteads...

Also had the opportunity to visit one of the large communities in Canada on business prior to touring some greenhouses in upstate New York near the Canadian border - we crossed at buffalo after. Visiting Niagara Falls...

I have inspected produce delivered by horse drawn wagon.

Always found them to be amicable and even sociable...

Here at home makaila and I interact with the Mennonite community - and their underground barter economy and trade network.

While none of them are perfect societies they are good neighbors and preferable to ghetto thug and gang lifestyle proponents and adherents / admirers.

Rumsprimga is the most hackneyed and over used literary and TV / movie media themes of all time.

Mike
  • Options
    edited November -1
    While none of them are perfect societies they are good neighbors and preferable to ghetto thug and gang lifestyle proponents and adherents / admirers.
    Mike
    Looks like a pretty low bar. :)
  • Options
    mrmike08075mrmike08075 Member Posts: 10,998 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    And apropos of nothing let me reference the Harrison Ford film Witness and the weird Al yankovitch music video parody of gangstas paradise...

And since it has somehow escaped us till this point let me reference the practice of barn raising and shunning...

;)

Mike
  • Options
    William81William81 Member Posts: 24,639 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    We live among the Amish here in Central MO. I have employed a group of carpenters on two occasions around our farm. They are hard working, industrious folks. They refurbished our old cellar house over a three day period and finished off approx. 500 Square feet of our basement. Excellent work in both projects.

We fixed meals and sat at our family table each day. Very friendly and interesting gentlemen. We talked hunting, fishing and farming and they were very enjoyable to spent time with.... We had to make them stop working to eat and when they were on site, they were working and not standing around.

One of them told me when the World falls apart, I can come live with them......
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Amish birth numbers are exploding and making up for Christian low fertility rates. At the end of century there will be hundreds of millions plus a bucket load of Mormons, too bad Romney won't be around to get their vote.

The facts and nothing the facts.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uqvi5kozc6Q
  • Options
    tomh.tomh. Member Posts: 3,823 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
  • Options
    mmppresmmppres Member Posts: 3,056 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have dealt with alot of the Amish contractors. Every one has offered a finders fee. I have eaten at there tables. Very plain folks. Hard working very into there beliefs. They do buy firearms an hunt,shoot, an trap. Lots of them have the required photo Id needed here in PA to buy a firearm. I have no issue with selling to them in all legal fashions.
  • Options
    hillbillehillbille Member Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    was visiting an uncle in Pa. and as we were driving up a few backroads he pointed out the different amish/mennonite or whichever branch they were, on each farm was usually a tractor. the ones with steel wheels he said they owned, it they had rubbed wheels they were renting them, most still diddn't have electric to the big farmhouse, but would have a trailer or doublewide close that did.. guess the kids/grandkids were a little less strick with the electric issue