In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

OK So what do you really think

2»

Comments

• Options
    montanajoemontanajoe Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 58,066 ******
    edited November -1
  • Options
    HessianHessian Member Posts: 248
    edited November -1
    Time is an abstract, twenty years of travel time may not mean squat to an entity that lives 500-1000 years our time. We are on the crux of gene manipulation that may extend life almost indefinitely.

In all probability, an entity that has evolved completely separate from us would likely be so different that common understandings are nearly impossible.

Whole solar systems, maybe even galaxies, have formed and died before our Sun ever ignited.

Instead of calculating the current number of Stars and Galaxies that exist, you'd also have to factor in all those that have disappeared or been destroyed and reformed. The current Stars and galaxies we can detect are far in the past anyway.
  • Options
    He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 50,964 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You don't get the concept of light year? It is the distance light travels in one year at 186,000 miles per second. Nearest star: 30 light years. That is 30 years at light speed, and we can go a very small percentage of that. No one has yet explained why beings so advanced that they can get here in anything like a reasonable time, would then waste their time playing hide and seek with us. It buggers the intellect.

And time is only theoretical at the sub atomic level, so they must be really little bitty guys.
  • Options
    Smitty500magSmitty500mag Member Posts: 13,603 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    We'll have to find a different mode of traveling other than on a rocket ship if we ever want to get any where close to the speed of light. To accelerate a human body to 186,000 miles per second would take years because the human body can only withstand a few G's of force for a short period of time so it would take for ever to get a human body up to that speed and then it would take the same length of time to slow it down. Besides that could you imagine hitting something just the size of a BB or even a grain of sand at 186,000 miles per second in a space ship? :shock:

The speed of light = 670,616,629 miles per hour. You can circle the earth 7.5 times per second at that speed.
  • Options
    Rocky RaabRocky Raab Member Posts: 14,216 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    "It's way too big out there" is precisely the reason why "they" have never been here, are not here, and certainly never will be here. Or we there. Arguing otherwise is simply irrational.
    I may be a bit crazy - but I didn't drive myself.
  • Options
    Aztngundoc22Aztngundoc22 Member Posts: 2,314 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    OK :

Yes they are REAL : just how I know this : I can not tell !!!!

Thanks !!!
    The more people I meet : The more I like my Dog :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

I Grew Old Too Fast (And Smart Too damn Slow !!!) !!! :o :?
  • Options
    penguin1penguin1 Member Posts: 97
    edited November -1
    Ask your Priest.
  • Options
    Sam06Sam06 Member Posts: 21,254 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    penguin1 wrote:
    Ask your Priest.

OK

xpNeZbkftY-7.png
    RLTW

• Options
    NeoBlackdogNeoBlackdog Member Posts: 16,705 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Sam06 wrote:
    penguin1 wrote:
    Ask your Priest.

OK

xpNeZbkftY-7.png

Dammit! I just about spit my breakfast on the screen! LOL!!! :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:
  • Options
    KenK/84BravoKenK/84Bravo Member Posts: 12,055 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Sam06 wrote:
    penguin1 wrote:
    Ask your Priest.

OK

xpNeZbkftY-7.png

Dammit! I just about spit my breakfast on the screen! LOL!!! :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Yes.

I thought that was pretty funny, as well.
  • Options
    JamesRKJamesRK Member Posts: 25,670 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    UFOs are real, but as pointed out by He Dog they are only UFOs until they are identified. After identification they are just ?objects?. If they can?t be identified they remain UFOs. The next one that arrives on earth from another planet will be the first one.

USOs on the other hand are really real. As an eyeball witness of several USOs I have firsthand knowledge of their existence at various places throughout the world. They are inhabited by friendly people and you could swear that a lot of the females are human or very humanlike.

They have free pool tables, free coffee, free board games and playing cards and the one in Rota, Spain had a snack bar that put out a pretty good cheese burger for 35?.
    The road to hell is paved with COMPROMISE.
  • Options
    Don McManusDon McManus Member Posts: 23,499 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Rocky Raab wrote:
    Aliens?

Earth is a fairly tiny planet circling a small, commonplace, nondescript star near the fringe of a small galaxy. Our galaxy is roughly 100,000 light years in diameter (quite small as galaxies go) that holds between 100 and 400 billion other stars besides ours. Our "radiowave sphere" is only about 100 lightyears in diameter - which means that's as far as our first radio signals have propagated in space.

No advanced civilization more than 100 lightyears from us can have heard us yet, and if there were one less than that distance away, we'd have heard them, assuming they are at least as advanced as we are.

Since we haven't detected them, it's a certainty they have not detected us. And therefore no reason for them to zero in on this one of maybe 400 billion other stars, and then come to this particular speck of dust to look for us.

On top of all that, all the above assumes we are only talking about travel within this one galaxy. Travel from one of the other billions of galaxies? Utter nonsense.

Sorry, you believers, there are no aliens visiting us.

This suggests that there are between 100,000,000,001 and 400,000,000,001 stars in our galaxy.

Oddly precise, Rocky. :)
    Freedom and a submissive populace cannot co-exist.

Brad Steele