In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

OK So what do you really think

asopasop Member Posts: 8,911 ✭✭✭✭
edited December 2019 in General Discussion
of the credibility of UFO's :o

Comments

• Options
    mrmike08075mrmike08075 Member Posts: 10,998 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Well this thanksgiving ET came back and visited Elliot and met his kids - rather than phone home...

Mike
  • Options
    Ricci WrightRicci Wright Member Posts: 8,260 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    UFO's?? Absolutely. Little green men?? Not so much.
  • Options
    buschmasterbuschmaster Member Posts: 14,229 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    lots of hoaxes, some amazingly realistic, but overall too many sightings, videos and witnesses to not be real. there's just too much to not be something.
  • Options
    GrasshopperGrasshopper Member Posts: 16,755 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The "credible" sightings like the Air Force pilots saw I think are actually craft from the USA. Yea, I believe their are "secret weapons" we know nothing about.
    As far as the "Earthlings" being he only viable "beings" in this universe is actually beyond comprehension. To infinity and beyond, there is things out there.
  • Options
    mark christianmark christian Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 24,456 ******
    edited November -1
    Our solar system is dead, save for us. Otherwise the distances are so vast that just getting to Proxima Centauri- our nearest neighboring star, would take over 4 years at light speed. The technology needed to get here from anywhere, is strictly SciFi. Even if a race of super-beings possessed such technology, the time, effort, and treasure involved in making such a journey means that once they get here they would most certainly stop in and do more than abduct and probe residents of local trailer parks.
  • Options
    Rocky RaabRocky Raab Member Posts: 14,202 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Are there Flying Objects we cannot identify? Obviously, yes.

Does that mean they therefore are alien craft piloted by beings from other than Earth? Preposterous, illogical, and absolutely impossible.
    I may be a bit crazy - but I didn't drive myself.
  • Options
    Horse Plains DrifterHorse Plains Drifter Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 39,389 ***** Forums Admin
    edited November -1
    they would most certainly stop in and do more than abduct and probe residents of local trailer parks.

:lol::lol::lol::mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen:
  • Options
    Marc1301Marc1301 Member Posts: 31,897 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Our solar system is dead, save for us. Otherwise the distances are so vast that just getting to Proxima Centauri- our nearest neighboring star, would take over 4 years at light speed. The technology needed to get here from anywhere, is strictly SciFi. Even if a race of super-beings possessed such technology, the time, effort, and treasure involved in making such a journey means that once they get here they would most certainly stop in and do more than abduct and probe residents of local trailer parks.
    Exactly!!
    "Beam me up Scotty, there's no intelligent life down here." - William Shatner
  • Options
    pulsarncpulsarnc Member Posts: 6,259 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    They exist and they belong to us . You know the government would never lie to us ! Any race evolved enough to master interstellar space flight will knock on our door and say hello , unless they have a non interference prime directive ala Star Trek . I live next door to a major east coast Air Force base . I have seen some things flying that did not match anything that I know of in our inventory . A couple of friends who were Air Force pilots have mentioned seeing a few over the years .
    cry Havoc and let slip  the dogs of war..... 
  • Options
    montanajoemontanajoe Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 58,038 ******
    edited November -1
    It is way too big out there to be just us,,,
  • Options
    edited November -1
    one thing that doesn't add up. if they can do interstellar travel for such trivial things as levitate cows, freak people out with blinking lights, or occasionally probe a human, you know they have the capability to do it all over the universe, and there has to be a lot of other planets with life on them,
    what are the odds of life on another planet? let me guess: you're more interested in whether there is, than how much or how many. well if it appears overwhelmingly one way or the other, it would be safe to assume a yes or no.

there are an estimated 400 billion stars in our galaxy, and an estimated 125 billion galaxies in the universe.

it's not a terribly bad assumption that our galaxy has an average number of stars in it. so 125 billion galaxies with 400 billion stars each totals

stars in the entire galaxy. say the average star has a few planets around it. how many doesn't actually matter, because we see there will be some distance between planets that orbit a star, and there would be room for only one at the right distance to be not too hot or not too cold, like our Earth is. they can't pile on top of each other.

now let's get wacky with the statistics. let's be ridiculous and say only one in a million stars would have a planet at the right distance from its sun. that would be

planets. now let's say out of those, only one in a million would actually have life emerge. that would be

planets. 50 trillion planets with life on them. rough guess. so we can say YES, without a reasonable doubt there should be life on other planets somewhere. it would also be reasonable to assume that when a planet has life on it, it continues to grow and evolve like life on ours does, that is, life does what life does. there would be, for example, plants and animals. or some other weird forms but the point is they would become advanced and complicated, more than simply amoebas. that's what life does, evolve.

so now let's say out of those 50 trillion planets populated with martian squirrels or whatever, only one in a million evolved life forms as advanced as humans. which is a ridiculous proposal, because it will happen sooner or later on any planet with life. but remember we're being ridiculously conservative. that would be

planets with life as intelligent as ours. other creatures with societies, economies, technologies, wars and their own alien religions. so we can say YES, without a reasonable doubt there should be creatures similar in intelligence to humans. there may be much less than 50,000 such planets, or much more than 50,000 planets, or even close to none, but the rough guess is a YES.

so what makes us so special? they had to have examined hundreds or thousands of other planets with ecosystems already. maybe we're not special and we're just another planet on the list full of dumb creatures they don't care to talk to. that would make a lot more sense.
  • Options
    BobJudyBobJudy Member Posts: 6,485 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I was watching the Animal planet zoo series where they periodically trap, probe and otherwise examine their animal populations. Maybe we are just an exhibit in an intergalactic zoo :D

I think that most of the sightings that appear credible also have sort of an animal origin. Skunkworks ring a bell? Bob
  • Options
    edited November -1
    "so what makes us so special? they had to have examined hundreds or thousands of other planets with ecosystems already. maybe we're not special and we're just another planet on the list full of dumb creatures they don't care to talk to. that would make a lot more sense."

Goldie locks zone - gas giants in the outer system absorbing most incoming planet busting objects - our large moon and tidal variations - water planet - magnetic field strength - hot molten core - plate tectonics - Darwinism lottery effect - natural selection - divine intervention - luck of the draw - star type and age - etc...

A hundred different factors that are improbable when combined..

Mike
  • Options
    edited November -1
    scrambled brains
  • Options
    edited November -1
    hey Mike, if there are 400 billion stars in a galaxy, and 125 billion galaxies in the universe, how many stars are in the universe?
  • Options
    bustedkneebustedknee Member Posts: 2,002 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Lets see....the Germans "found" aliens then made huge technological advances.

The U.S. "found" aliens in New Mexico then made huge technological advances.

YES!

Huge technological advances (computers) have been made since then by the U.S. and China...Hmmmmmmmm.
    I can't believe they misspelled "Pork and Beans!"
  • Options
    He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 50,958 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    They have no credibility at all, I have never met one that would not lie through its teeth.

If you meant are they real, sure unidentified flying objects are real. Until they are identified, then they are IFO's. If you mean are they from other planets/stars/galaxies, there is no credible evidence that they might travel years or decades through space to play hide and go seek when they get here. People want to believe in mysteries, thus all the TV shows about aliens, hidden treasure and religions fall right in to that need to believe in fantasy.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    hey Mike, if there are 400 billion stars in a galaxy, and 125 billion galaxies in the universe, how many stars are in the universe?

I would quote Carl Sagan but...

"Billions and billions" Edit
    To help viewers of Cosmos distinguish between "millions" and "billions", Sagan stressed the "b". Sagan never did, however, say "billions and billions". The public's association of the phrase and Sagan came from a Tonight Show skit. Parodying Sagan's affect, Johnny Carson quipped "billions and billions".The phrase has, however, now become a humorous fictitious number?the Sagan. Aside from using the catchphrase as the title of the book, Sagan's introduction also discusses it.

There are about 10 billion galaxies in the observable universe! The number of stars in a galaxy varies, but assuming an average of 100 billion stars per galaxy means that there are about 1,000,000,000,000,000,000,000 (that's 1 billion trillion) stars in the observable universe!

Averaging out the types of stars within our galaxy, this would produce an answer of about 100 billion stars in the galaxy. This is subject to change, however, depending on how many stars are bigger and smaller than our own sun. Also, other estimates say the Milky Way could have 200 billion stars or more.

"I don't know [the answer] because I don't know if the universe is infinitely large or not," he said. The observable universe appears to go back in time by about 13.8 billion years, but beyond what we could see there could be much, much more. Some astronomers also think that we may live in a "multiverse" where there would be other universes like ours contained in some sort of larger entity.

There are 10 times more stars in the night sky than grains of sand in the world's deserts and beaches, scientists say. Astronomers have worked out that there are 70 thousand million million million - or seven followed by 22 zeros - stars visible from the Earth through telescopes.

Scientists and scholars and theologians debate this endlessly - how many angels fit on the head of a pin - I can regurgitate the classic and modern interpretations but the truth is I don't know the answer - and am to stupid to participate in such a debate...

Mike
  • Options
    discusdaddiscusdad Member Posts: 11,418 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    to those who feel UFOs are "our" crafts, as long as humans have seen them in action, if we did actually make them, why would we be sinking untold bazillions of bucks having our military flying these stoneage F-35 and F-22s..our military would have latched on to them for operational use and left the fuel/turbine propulsion systems in the trash cans.
  • Options
    BrookwoodBrookwood Member, Moderator Posts: 13,389 ******
    edited November -1
    I will leave this debate up to my friend "Horton" 8-) He has big ears and can hear a "Who" living on a spec of dust!
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Brookwood wrote:
    I will leave this debate up to my friend "Horton" 8-) He has big ears and can hear a "Who" living on a spec of dust!

Vlad? I know two Vlads. One is a cute little bunny that brings me cookies. The other is bad Vlad. Which Vlad?'
    Which one do you think?'
    Bad Vlad?'
    Good call.

;)

Mike
  • Options
    edited November -1
    5 X 10^22
  • Options
    Sam06Sam06 Member Posts: 21,254 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have seen some weird stuff flying around, especially in remote places.

I have to say I believe there are UFO's. Now where they come from I have no idea.

My guess is:

1. From the future

2. From a distant system and they have a base here in this solar system.

I watch the Ancient Aliens show on the History Channel and some of the arguments and theory's they come up with are very believable especially when dealing with ancient civilizations in the Americas, Africa and Asia especially India. Hinduism is basically a Sci-fi Novel.
    RLTW

• Options
    hillbillehillbille Member Posts: 14,183 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I agree with sam, I believe from the future, I think time travel could be done with great electrical discharge, hence the bright light and surounding burn............
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Aliens?

Earth is a fairly tiny planet circling a small, commonplace, nondescript star near the fringe of a small galaxy. Our galaxy is roughly 100,000 light years in diameter (quite small as galaxies go) that holds between 100 and 400 billion other stars besides ours. Our "radiowave sphere" is only about 100 lightyears in diameter - which means that's as far as our first radio signals have propagated in space.

No advanced civilization more than 100 lightyears from us can have heard us yet, and if there were one less than that distance away, we'd have heard them, assuming they are at least as advanced as we are.

Since we haven't detected them, it's a certainty they have not detected us. And therefore no reason for them to zero in on this one of maybe 400 billion other stars, and then come to this particular speck of dust to look for us.

On top of all that, all the above assumes we are only talking about travel within this one galaxy. Travel from one of the other billions of galaxies? Utter nonsense.

Sorry, you believers, there are no aliens visiting us.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Back off Rocky, I am going to be doing a brisk business in used bridges here.
  • Options
    Merlinnv12Merlinnv12 Member Posts: 1,203 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    418037_fcade99af33e78ea87f3c43076387cd4.jpeg
    “What we’ve got here, is, failure to communicate.”
  • Options
    edited November -1
    So your saying that Scientology is a lie and a scam and a fiction of a deranged man who invented a false military combat history and award himself false and imaginary medals...

How do you feel about Mormon doctrine...

Mike
  • Options
    edited November -1
    The same way I feel about all religions, Mike. It's all a scam, a lie, and a superstition based on primitive ignorance and the realization by some men that they can make a big and privileged living from it.

And I'm aware that turning the thread to religion dooms it to the poof pile.
  • Options
    Smitty500magSmitty500mag Member Posts: 13,603 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    More likely it's our ggggggggggreatgrandkids that's figured out how to travel back in time that's taking a look at us from time to time. They can't mess with anything or they'll screw up the future. They just look.
  • Options
    KenK/84BravoKenK/84Bravo Member Posts: 12,055 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    lots of hoaxes, some amazingly realistic, but overall too many sightings, videos and witnesses to not be real. there's just too much to not be something.

Much as I hate to agree with him, there it is.

The Nimitz footage/recounts of the multi-day encounter, ("Gimble, Tic Tac, Go Fast.") are but the tip of the Iceberg. If you have not researched it/listened to it/watched it, you should. A Hoax?? Kinda doubt it.

This Snit, will not go away.
  • Options
    Sam06Sam06 Member Posts: 21,254 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Talk to anyone who has been to or flown around the South Pole ;)

Or been in really remote places on Earth.
    RLTW

• Options
    Edspdog1Edspdog1 Member Posts: 225
    edited November -1
    UFO's yes. Aliens from another planet not so sure. Distance to travel and our universe alone is too big to ever find out. Our minds are not capable of understanding the vastness of space. My 2 cents.
    Now if there is life on other planets in a galaxy far far away and they made a fly by and saw an episode of Jerry Springer or The View, one of two things would happen, they would turn tail and flee the universe and warn others to keep away or destroy earth with a photon torpedo or three.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Those strange lights in the sky over Antarctica are called aurora australis, the polar opposite (pun) of the Northen lights (aurora borealis). They may look green at times, but it isn't from any pilots aboard.
  • Options
    allen griggsallen griggs Member Posts: 35,242 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I think they are for real. We are being visited by creatures from other planets.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Allen, I always thought of you as being much more intelligent than that.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Rocky Raab wrote:
    Allen, I always thought of you as being much more intelligent than that.
    He must have been probed, is my guess.
  • Options
    Edspdog1Edspdog1 Member Posts: 225
    edited November -1
    If I remember correctly Allen said he went to a local CHRISTmas tree farm a while back and said that it had been converted to a hemp operation. Might have bought weeds instead of trees. grins.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Rocky Raab wrote:
    The same way I feel about all religions, Mike. It's all a scam, a lie, and a superstition based on primitive ignorance and the realization by some men that they can make a big and privileged living from it.

And I'm aware that turning the thread to religion dooms it to the poof pile.

Or as Heinlein said, "Being a preacher is no worse than any other con, provided you have the stomach for it."
  • Options
    redneckandyredneckandy Member Posts: 9,686 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    montanajoe wrote:
    It is way too big out there to be just us,,,
    I agree. Do they have the technology to visit us, I don't think so. Will we ever develop the technology to visit them, I doubt that too.
    That being said, no one living two hundred years ago could understand todays tech.