In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Ever been stopped by a

asopasop Member Posts: 8,921 ✭✭✭✭
edited December 2019 in General Discussion
game warden? I've hunted all my life and never have been :o I would assume this is the norm?

Comments

• Options
    Sam06Sam06 Member Posts: 21,254 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Several times
    RLTW

• Options
    jimdeerejimdeere Member, Moderator Posts: 25,744 ******
    edited November -1
    I do a lot of trout fishing in National Forest waters. I?ve been checked exactly one time.
    Once, a warden pulled in where I was fishing. I started out of the water to show my license.
    He said ?I just stopped to tell you that we just stocked the creek over the mountain from here.?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    The worst were on the coast fishing offshore.

Here in NC you need Jock Cousteau and Perry Mason to go fishing to figure out what you have caught and if its legal.

Its a PITA and the fish cops are out to get you at every turn.
    RLTW

• Options
    montanajoemontanajoe Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 58,116 ******
    edited November -1
    Revenue, it's all about revenue.
  • Options
    remingtonoaksremingtonoaks Member Posts: 26,251 ✭✭✭
    edited December 2019
    I had a couple come into camp to b's, but really just to get a free cup of coffee I think... you know how far the smell of coffee travels in the mountain, and living in Utah, it's hard to find somebody that drinks coffee because that's against the Mormon religion... even camping. So I always had a crowd in my camp of people wanting get a cup of coffee because nobody else had but me had coffee in their camps... my son's used to say where the most popular people on the whole side of the mountain :D

Also had 1 give my son a ticket for driving his motorcycle on a dirt road. Even though it was a dirt road, the DNR officer ( game Warden) claimed it was a state road. And when I told the DNR officer ( game warden) that we didn't realize it was a state Road he didn't care. He gave my Son a ticket for driving a non-registered motorcycle (even though it was registered for off-road use), and driving a motorcycle without a driver's license. my wife took my son to court and the judge threw it out
  • Options
    edited December 2019
    driving a motorcycle without a driver's license. my wife took my son to court and the judge threw it out

Had that happen to me too. He was PO'ed because I didn't stop. Heck I didn't see him(No mirrors) and he chased me for about 5 miles. Man was he Po'ed. He is lucky I elected to stop I was on a Husky 430 WR and there was no way he would have caught me if I didn't want him to.

I beat the ticket he was even in court.
    RLTW

• Options
    edited November -1
    Sam06 wrote:
    driving a motorcycle without a driver's license. my wife took my son to court and the judge threw it out

Had that happen to me too. He was PO'ed because I didn't stop. Heck I didn't see him(No mirrors) and he cahsed me for about 5 miles. Man was he Po'ed.

I beat the ticket he was even in court.

:lol:

Yep they're just like cops, some real nice and some have a power complex
  • Options
    charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Several times. All were professional. Some much nicer than others.
  • Options
    Old-ColtsOld-Colts Member Posts: 22,700 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Once, about 1962, when I was a Senior in High School. I was Dove hunting when the local Game Warden drove up. Since I knew him and he knew me, I walked over and we chatted for a few minutes and then he asked to examine my shotgun, a Browning A5 16 Gauge. When he extracted round number 4, then 5, he looked at me and said you are hunting migratory birds without a 3 round plug, I'll have to give you a ticket for that. I thought "WHAT", Doves a migratory bird, the damn things are here year round. Nevertheless, it cost me about $15, lesson learned!!! :? :shock: :o

If you can't feel the music; it's only pink noise!

• Options
    edited November -1
    Old-Colts wrote:
    Once, about 1962, when I was a Senior in High School. I was Dove hunting when the local Game Warden drove up. Since I knew him and he knew me, I walked over and we chatted for a few minutes and then he asked to examine my shotgun, a Browning A5 16 Gauge. When he extracted round number 4, then 5, he looked at me and said you are hunting migratory birds without a 3 round plug, I'll have to give you a ticket for that. I thought "WHAT", Doves a migratory bird, the damn things are here year round. Nevertheless, it cost me about $15, lesson learned!!! :? :shock: :o

:o:o And back in 62, $15 was no small amount, especially for a high school student. Back in 62, you can buy a brand-new pickup for about $3,000
  • Options
    GrasshopperGrasshopper Member Posts: 16,784 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Call them the possum police around here. Yes, he came right up the drive and jumped out of the truck and started "measuring" the hole the deer had in him to see if he was shot by a rifle? Illegal in Illinois. Didn't ask anything, just a jerk. Sorry dude, we were all legal.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Call them the possum police around here. Yes, he came right up the drive and jumped out of the truck and started "measuring" the hole the deer had in him to see if he was shot by a rifle? Illegal in Illinois. Didn't ask anything, just a jerk. Sorry dude, we were all legal.

Wouldn't that be considered illegal search where it was on your own property?
  • Options
    Horse Plains DrifterHorse Plains Drifter Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 39,474 ***** Forums Admin
    edited November -1
    Sam06 wrote:
    Several times

all were aholes
    Yep. I have only been stopped once. Me and another kid(we were 15-16 years old) were hunting and one stopped us and give us the shake down. I have seen others in action, and I was not impressed. Never seen a game warden or a weigh cop that wasn't a total AH.
  • Options
    GrasshopperGrasshopper Member Posts: 16,784 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1

You would think, but they can go on a blind on private property around here and check?. It might be illegal but I am always on the good so just go with it.
  • Options
    bustedkneebustedknee Member Posts: 2,002 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1

Ha! They claim the Constitution does not apply to them. They can go on private property and search your sheds and barns without a search warrant. But they do usually get a search warrant for homes.

Have you ever wondered why, when there is a big drug bust or moonshine bust, etc., the SWAT team likes to take a game warden or two along?
    It ain't for backup and it ain't cause the bad guys are frying out-of-season rabbit....

I had one tell me he could write me a ticket.

I asked "FOR WHAT? I haven't broken any laws!"

He replied, "Well, Your life jacket is un-servicable."

I asked, "WHATTHEHELLAREYOUTALKINGABOUT?"

"It has some dirt on it," He said, "and in my opinion, it is un-servicable."

I said, "Yes Sir, I understand, What can I do for you?"

I can't believe they misspelled "Pork and Beans!"
  • Options
    pulsarncpulsarnc Member Posts: 6,294 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have had it happen three times over a period of about 50 years . So far all interactions have been ok but then again look at the time span First time was about 1974 , second was in the early 90?z and the last 5 years ago .
    cry Havoc and let slip  the dogs of war..... 
  • Options
    Ditch-RunnerDitch-Runner Member Posts: 24,677 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    twice both times fishing , once it was just a couple hours after getting my licenses for the season both times they were polite . as a kid I remember my dad getting checked a couple times also while fishing .
  • Options
    He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 50,987 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have been checked several times hunting, and was glad to see them every time. Given the number of guys we see hunting from trucks, often with two to four kids in the bed with rifles, the happier I am to see them out there. The boss always says be safe, and I laugh, once I am one hill over from the road, I am all alone. None has ever been a jerk.

When I was working I often had scientific collecting permits, and I usually worked in SE Arizona on montane rattlesnakes. I was required by Arizona to call the office when I was going to be in the field with dates and locations. There was one game and fish officer that came and checked on me every time. The guy really cared. I did business with his father for Indian arts, and still do business with his brother who carried on their father's business.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    bustedknee wrote:

Ha! They claim the Constitution does not apply to them. They can go on private property and search your sheds and barns without a search warrant. But they do usually get a search warrant for homes.

Have you ever wondered why, when there is a big drug bust or moonshine bust, etc., the SWAT team likes to take a game warden or two along?
    It ain't for backup and it ain't cause the bad guys are frying out-of-season rabbit....

Actually you're wong there. They are law enforcement officers and as such has to have a search warrant or probable cause. Just like any other law enforcement officer, any law enforcement officer can search if they have probable cause. But if they find something they better make sure they can prove they had probable cause to search without a search warrant. So they can't just randomly pull onto a person's property and start searching unless they have probable cause to think there has been a Law broke
  • Options
    llamallama Member Posts: 2,637 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Old-Colts wrote:

:o:o And back in 62, $15 was no small amount, especially for a high school student. Back in 62, you can buy a brand-new pickup for about $3,000

Oh less than that. The receipt I have from when my Dad bought what is now my Porsche new in '65 says 3750 tax tag title out the door with a dealer installed AC unit (Artic Karr). According to my old car magazines, a '65 Mustang was only $1900
  • Options
    bustedkneebustedknee Member Posts: 2,002 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If you check around I think you will find they maintain they don"t need a search warrant for private property with the exception of residences.

And while we are on it....
    What is probable cause? Whatever they can convince a judge of?

Traffic cops rely on a DOG for probable cause to search for drugs. If you think about it, that is rather silly. I want to see a defense attorney cross-examine the dog.
    I can't believe they misspelled "Pork and Beans!"
  • Options
    jimdeerejimdeere Member, Moderator Posts: 25,744 ******
    edited November -1
    Yeah...
    Game warden: ?I searched his car because my K9 detected game?
    How did you know?
    ?His tail was wagging.?
  • Options
    wpageabcwpageabc Member Posts: 8,760 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Kenebeck River, Maine having a great time catching steelhead salmon. Walking up to camp at riverside. Warden comes out of hiding in bushes as my buddy and I were cleaning fish. He measures every fish in our creels. Finds one that is according to him 1/16 inch short of minimum. That fine of $25.oo in 1971 was a problem since it was our gas money to get home.

Not a good experience. Ruined a great camping/fishing trip.
    "What is truth?'
  • Options
    SCOUT5SCOUT5 Member Posts: 16,182 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I've been checked in three different states.
  • Options
    Rocky RaabRocky Raab Member Posts: 14,236 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I've been checked a few times in my life - always politely. Got a ticket once for shooting at a wood duck a wee bit after legal time. I missed, the warden chuckled in sympathy, and we parted on good terms. The most recent time, here in Utah, I was loading my fishing kayak up after a day on the water while a CO was rigorously checking a pair of Hispanic guys with a Colorado-tagged boat on the other side of the ramp. I waited and when he finished with them, I asked if it was my turn. He looked at me and said, "If you waited to be checked, you have to be golden. Have a great day."

In my limited experience with police, I am of the opinion that they are mirrors. They reflect the attitude being shown to them. Magnified - both kinds.
    I may be a bit crazy - but I didn't drive myself.
  • Options
    jwb267jwb267 Member Posts: 19,666 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    bustedknee wrote:

Actually you're wong there. They are law enforcement officers and as such has to have a search warrant or probable cause. Just like any other law enforcement officer, any law enforcement officer can search if they have probable cause. But if they find something they better make sure they can prove they had probable cause to search without a search warrant. So they can't just randomly pull onto a person's property and start searching unless they have probable cause to think there has been a Law broke

don't bet on that. you will loose
  • Options
    mogley98mogley98 Member Posts: 18,297 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Was bird hunting and the Game Warden asked to see my hunting license. I showed it to him and he said that it was a NC license and he sticks his finger in the butt of the bird and smelled it, says I need a SC license because that bird was a SC bird. I pulled out my SC bird hunting license.

He says "Boy where you from, I said I'm from Georgia and I'd rather not have you check so I showed him my drivers license!

:D:D:D:D
    Why don't we go to school and work on the weekends and take the week off!
  • Options
    ZinderblocZinderbloc Member Posts: 925 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    One time, fishing. The license-year ran from October 1 to September 30 in those days. It was October 8 and he was just checking to see if I had a current license.

I did.
  • Options
    Smitty500magSmitty500mag Member Posts: 13,603 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I was checked one time in all the years that I bought hunting licenses in Tennessee. I was 11 years old and dove hunting on opening day of the season back in 1961 when the game warden asked to see my license. I liked the idea of getting checked like the big guys. I was legal and had no problems.
  • Options
    ruger41ruger41 Member Posts: 14,656 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Only once way back in 1984. Was fishing on a lake in Utah and the Warden was on the lake checking everyone for licenses and to see if you didn?t have too many fish.
  • Options
    wolfpackwolfpack Member Posts: 1,158 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Out quite a bit fishing and hunting. Have been checked by KY and WV officers several times. All the officers have been polite and never a problem. They have always checked license and if on a boat all required registration and safety equipment and then go on their way. Glad to see them out doing their job.
  • Options
    MobuckMobuck Member Posts: 13,825 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Several times and each was a learning experience--I learned what it took to evade the bunny cops. Got a ticket once and faced down another with the comment "I did what I thought was right at the time and it's way too late to second guess that decision".
    Had some tense discussions of proposed regulations with some fairly high level bunny cops. Son and I demanded there be a written definition of some technicalities rather than the use of the term "officer discretion" which opens up a can of worms relative to individual interpretation of regulations by field enforcement personnel. We won that round regarding the difference between deer hunting and varmint/furbearer hunting during the same time frame.
  • Options
    11b6r11b6r Member Posts: 16,588 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Had been fishing at Wildlife Mgt Area lake, no one else there. Backing truck up to take out my Jon boat, turned to look at right mirror, game warden standing beside truck, motioning and saying "C'mon back...."

Jump! What the hell did YOU come from? *grin* yeah, we do that sometimes. Had any luck today?

We discussed fishing, he checked my license and my boat license, helped me take my boat out of the water. Professional, decent guy.
    I mentioned that my 9mm was clipped to my life jacket. Said thanks- if you'll leave yours where it is, I'll leave mine where it is.

Frankly, it can be a rough job. Your only backup is a half county away, and in hunting season, EVERYONE you walk up to is holding a loaded gun.
  • Options
    Aztngundoc22Aztngundoc22 Member Posts: 2,314 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    OK :

Yes : long time back (late 70s) ???

Long Story while Goose Hunting in So. Illinazi ???

Anyhow :::

Thamks !!!
    The more people I meet : The more I like my Dog :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

I Grew Old Too Fast (And Smart Too damn Slow !!!) !!! :o :?
  • Options
    chollagardenschollagardens Member Posts: 4,614 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Many times. I used to have commercial fishing permits and a life long interest in reptiles. I classify wardens into three categories. The first group I call conservationists. They follow the law and do their jobs. The second group I call "ecologists". This is the "means justify the end" group with authority. Mostly they think the laws are not as good as they would make them and enforce their point of view. The third group is the dangerous one. I call this group "fake wardens". They either operate under no authority but claim authority or they just try to cause trouble.

I respect the first group, tolerate the second group and consider the third group the same as a person breaking into my house.
  • Options
    hillbillehillbille Member Posts: 14,199 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    there were a buch of us debating on where to go for the next drive as we had just finished a drive and were meeting up at the end of an old logging road next to the main road, down the main road comes a game warden. there were at least a dozen of us and one of my cousins knew the warden as he teaches hunter safety classes and deals with the warden regularly. he checked each and every one of our lisences and guns to make sure they were unloaded got a funnly look on his face asked if we had had any luck and then left. he later told my cousin and the latest class they were teaching he fully expected to write at least 3-4 tickets with a group that large and couldn't believe we were all legal.......
  • Options
    KenK/84BravoKenK/84Bravo Member Posts: 12,054 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    My buddy and I got stopped one time in Colorado in my Suburban. Guy blocked the road in front of me in some really rugged 4x4 terrain, right the exit of a particularly difficult gully with a mud bog at the bottom <* bag!> He had someone with him, presumably a newby. So I decided to be a * bag too and stopped right in the middle of the bog! Takes two to tango, butthead! You wanna' talk? Then you can wade through the mud to do it!!

He quickly realized he had no defense. Normally they'd make you walk to them in such a case, but seeing as how he blocked my exit, he had no excuse. He gets out and waves me up to him. I signaled back I had nowhere to go! He finally got the hint and kind of stomped back over to his truck and moved it so I could pull forward. Took me about 10 minutes to get out of where I was, as I was about 3/4 of the way stuck from him blocking the exit. By the time I got out I guess he'd had some time to rethink the situation and adjust his attitude. He was all apologetic when I finally got up to him.

I kind of understood his initial attitude a little bit because it was deer season (my buddy and I were out hunting grouse with our dogs), and there's a bunch of IDIOTS who hunt deer in Colorado. He comes up and see's we've got dogs in the back...and now he's all talkative, friendly like. Never did ask us for our licenses.

Interesting encounter, in such a remote location, but it was also a really ugly spot to get stopped. Pretty lucky I didn't get stuck ultra-bad right there!

That was absolutely Perfect Sir. Well done.
  • Options
    AlpineAlpine Member Posts: 15,069 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    My experience: In Commie Kalifornia every time I ran into a Game Warden it was they were looking for something to write a ticket for.
    In Idaho I have run into Game Warden several times, never once did they ask for a license, always contributed what others were seeing and catching and where. Always interested in what I was seeing and catching and where.

I was talking to a Kalifornia fish and game after he discovered he could not write me a ticket for anything, he expressed interest in coming to Idaho. I told him not to bother, as he had the wrong attitude for Idaho,and stay in Commie Land and we did not want his kind in Idaho.
    ?The problem with socialism is that you eventually run out of other people's money.?
    Margaret Thatcher

"There are three kinds of lies: lies, damned lies and statistics."
    Mark Twain
  • Options
    Quick&DeadQuick&Dead Member Posts: 1,466 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Never have.

And now one lives nearby too.

:lol:
    The government has no rights. Only the people have rights which empowers the government.
    We have enough gun laws, what we need is IDIOT control.
    Blood makes you related. Loyalty makes you family.

I thought getting old would take longer. :shock:
  • Options
    MobuckMobuck Member Posts: 13,825 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Our hunting group of 5 was checked on opening day of pheasant season one time. The other guys had pump and semi-auto shotguns and bunny cop was checking those and demanding they pull the barrel to show him they were legally plugged. Then the ding-a-ling wanted to check mine---I was shooting a SxS double.