In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Best small and lightweight handgun

2»

Comments

• Options
    mohawk600mohawk600 Member Posts: 5,376 ✭✭✭✭
    Don't forget the High Standard O/U .22 mag derringer with the wallet and finger hole. You can put it in your pocket like a wallet and draw and shoot without taking it out of leather..................

I bought one of those for $15 in the '90s from an ex cop. Also got his High Standard 12 ga. riot gun for $50. Best two gun buys that I ever made.
  • Options
    gruntled2gruntled2 Member Posts: 560 ✭✭✭
    You do have the $200 tax stamp don't you? (Or is it $5?) Beware that knock on your door, it may be the BAFTARDS.
  • Options
    drobsdrobs Member Posts: 22,533 ✭✭✭✭
    Wulfmann said:
    Sig P365.
    Game changer 10-12 or 15 round magazine options and a micro sized pistol with excellent ergonomics allowing it to be shot comfortably
    Everything else falls short

I picked one of these up. I'm more accurate with my Ruger LC9S Pro.
    The grips on the Sig P365 rub my skin raw when carried OWB / IWB under a shirt. The P365, being heavier, doesn't pocket carry as well as the Ruger does.

• Options
    He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 50,956 ✭✭✭✭
    SA Hellcat.  I also like the S&W 60-15.
  • Options
    Smitty500magSmitty500mag Member Posts: 13,603 ✭✭✭✭
    When I think of light weight pocket guns it seems like it's more of a modern day thing but actually they were making some pretty good little light weight pocket guns back well over 100 years ago. My little H&R .32 S&W top break 5 shot revolver with a 3" barrel tips the scales at a little over 12 ounces. While it's no powerhouse it's better than poking the bad guy with a sharp stick.

• Options
    mogley98mogley98 Member Posts: 18,297 ✭✭✭✭
    dcon12 said:
    I carry a Taurus Ultra-Lite but carry a Colt Agent when I need more capacity. Don

How do you know when you need more capacity :) I carry a S&W Bodyguard in 380 the only thing that fits in my pocket and super light weight. If I need more capacity I'll bring Don

Why don't we go to school and work on the weekends and take the week off!
  • Options
    kimikimi Member Posts: 44,723 ✭✭✭
    mogley98 said:
    dcon12 said:
    I carry a Taurus Ultra-Lite but carry a Colt Agent when I need more capacity. Don

How do you know when you need more capacity :) I carry a S&W Bodyguard in 380 the only thing that fits in my pocket and super light weight. If I need more capacity I'll bring Don

That's what I'm talking about!  :D
    What's next?
  • Options
    William81William81 Member Posts: 24,595 ✭✭✭✭
    I carry a Sig P-365 about 95% of the time...I back that up with a S&W 642PC when it is necessary.   At time I carry a Glock 42 or a Kahr P-380 depending on what I am wearing.....I always carry at least one extra magazine or speed strip.

Just to add to the discussion, the best small and lightweight should also be something you can shoot well...I know a few folks that are more hooked on the gun they carry even though they can not shoot it worth a hoot... 
  • Options
    mogley98 said:

How do you know when you need more capacity :) 

Well if you plan on walking though South Atlanta at night you would soon find out. 
  • Options
    bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭
    I carried and liked the KELTEC P3AT right up to the point it fell apart in my pocket.  KELTEC wants me to pay to send it back, it now hangs on a nail above my computer as a reminder of what not to trust your life with.  I bought the S&W Body guard in .380.  It shoots well, is a tad heavier than the KELTEC but is utterly reliable.  It fits the same front pocket holster as the KELTEC and nobody is the wiser.
  • Options
    Mr. PerfectMr. Perfect Member, Moderator Posts: 66,309 ******
    The Glock G26 is king of this category.
    Some will die in hot pursuit
    And fiery auto crashes
    While sifting through my ashes
    Some will fall in love with life
    And drink it from a fountain
    That is pouring like an avalanche
    Coming down the mountain
  • Options
    nmyersnmyers Member Posts: 16,880 ✭✭✭✭
    Early R-series S&W M60 (now a C&R).
    Beretta 590 .25 acp (when a little bit of something is better than all of nothing).
    Neal

• Options
    Butchdog2Butchdog2 Member Posts: 3,834 ✭✭✭✭
    Plenty of ideas. I started out with the Ruger LCR reply but guess what.
    I carry Colt Government 380 IWB and a S&W 60 in the back pocket. Small enough to conceal but big enough to get the paws around. Sometimes if I am in or around a shat hole of a city some sort of full size colt auto is in a  shoulder holster.
    As the police asked the well armed fellow "what are you afraid of", not a darn thing.
  • Options
    NeoBlackdogNeoBlackdog Member Posts: 16,654 ✭✭✭✭
    The Glock G27 is king of this category.
    FIFY! ;)
  • Options
    bpost said:
    I carried and liked the KELTEC P3AT right up to the point it fell apart in my pocket.  
    BP could you explain a little on how it fell apart? Did the pin come out and the slide and barrel fall apart or did the polymer frame just crumble or maybe the mag release button fell out and the magazine popped out or what? I'm having a hard time picturing one "falling apart".

I've been carrying a 1st generation Kel-Tec P-3AT in my front right pocket everyday for the past 19 years and it's not given me the 1st problem ever. I mean it's never failed to feed or eject since the day I took it out of the box and took to the range the first time. But if it's likely to fall apart sometime I'd like to know what to lookout for. 
    Thanks.
  • Options
    William81 said:
    I carry a Sig P-365 about 95% of the time...I back that up with a S&W 642PC when it is necessary.   At time I carry a Glock 42 or a Kahr P-380 depending on what I am wearing.....I always carry at least one extra magazine or speed strip.

Just to add to the discussion, the best small and lightweight should also be something you can shoot well...I know a few folks that are more hooked on the gun they carry even though they can not shoot it worth a hoot... 

Exactly why I sold my P-365 and bought a Hellcat.  I could not shoot that thing worth spit.
  • Options
    So Kimi, Whatja get?
  • Options
    Sam06Sam06 Member Posts: 21,254 ✭✭✭✭
    The Glock G26 is king of this category.

+1

Now there are a few others to pick from but the G26 was there 1st.  Its my goto 9mm for CC.

RLTW

• Options
    William81William81 Member Posts: 24,595 ✭✭✭✭
    He Dog said:
    William81 said:

Exactly why I sold my P-365 and bought a Hellcat.  I could not shoot that thing worth spit.
    A wise move.......
  • Options
    The Glock G27 is king of this category.
    FIFY! ;)

Yuck.
    And fiery auto crashes
    Coming down the mountain
  • Options
    edited September 2020
    He Dog said:
    So Kimi, Whatja get?
    I'm still undecided, Dale, but leaning toward the Glock 26, although he Hellcat has some better specs that I like, and besides, Springfields have always been right at the top of my list.  That stated, I'm still trying to decide which make and model to buy.  My problem is trying to find one I like that I can put in my hand before I make a purchase...all of the stores around here have mostly bare shelves...so this is a slower process than I'd like it to be.

Added:  I also like the idea of a single stack .45.  
    What's next?
  • Options
    kimi said:
    He Dog said:
    So Kimi, Whatja get?
    I'm still undecided, Dale, but leaning toward the Glock 26, although he Hellcat has some better specs that I like, and besides, Springfields have always been right at the top of my list.  That stated, I'm still trying to decide which make and model to buy.  My problem is trying to find one I like that I can put in my hand before I make a purchase...all of the stores around here have mostly bare shelves...so this is a slower process than I'd like it to be.

Added:  I also like the idea of a single stack .45.  

The G36 is a great single stack 45 subcompact.
    And fiery auto crashes
    Coming down the mountain
  • Options
    neacpaneacpa Member Posts: 2,702 ✭✭✭
    My usual carry is a Kahr P380 or Smith 642.  Probably going to switch the Kahr to a Ruger LC9.  I keep a Keltec PMR30 in truck.  Going to check out the Smith 340 that has been mentioned.
  • Options
    ruger41ruger41 Member Posts: 14,647 ✭✭✭
    edited September 2020

I own an XD/s that was bought used before the antigun bs Springfield pulled in Illinois. I won’t buy anything else from that company until they clean house at the top. IMO the Shield and Glock are head & shoulders above any Springfield polymer product and both have small .45’s if you want.

• Options
    mohawk600mohawk600 Member Posts: 5,376 ✭✭✭✭
    gruntled2 said:
    You do have the $200 tax stamp don't you? (Or is it $5?) Beware that knock on your door, it may be the BAFTARDS.
    Don't have the wallet holster anymore..........lol
  • Options
     Well, I lucked out.  Went to a gun range and they had the Ruger's, SIG's, S&W's and the Springfield's in 9mm. Grip alone made the Hellcat love at first feel, and bringing it up to eye level to align the sights was as good as it gets for me.  It fits me the best of the handguns in this caliber, size, and weight range.  Still, I'd like to have one that is smaller and lighter, too, so I'll probably sell my SIG P229 Legion, and continue to look for it as well..

My thanks to everyone here for helping to educate me on this issue
    What's next?
  • Options
    edited September 2020
    kimi said:
     Well, I lucked out.  Went to a gun range and they had the Ruger's, SIG's, S&W's and the Springfield's in 9mm. Grip alone made the Hellcat love at first feel, and bringing it up to eye level to align the sights was as good as it gets for me.  It fits me the best of the handguns in this caliber, size, and weight range.  Still, I'd like to have one that is smaller and lighter, too, so I'll probably sell my SIG P229 Legion, and continue to look for it as well..

My thanks to everyone here for helping to educate me on this issue

There is always NAA, that new Anti-venom has snakeskin looking grips and an etched rattler head on the frame. :D

If that doesn't blow your skirt up, I have a S&W 637 that is like a feather and has 5 rounds of .38 +P.