Best small and lightweight handgun

kimikimi Member Posts: 44,610 ✭✭✭

In your opinion, what is the best small and lightweight handgun for concealed carry?

What's next?

Comments

• Butchdog2Butchdog2 Member Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭
    Revolver or semi auto?
    Ruger LCR's
  • BobJudyBobJudy Member Posts: 2,101 ✭✭✭✭
    The one you have with you. 
    I second the LCR. Bob
  • savage170savage170 Member Posts: 36,480 ✭✭✭
    edited September 6
    Another vote for the Ruger LCR
    Smith 642 or 637 would be a very close second for me
  • kimikimi Member Posts: 44,610 ✭✭✭
  • Horse Plains DrifterHorse Plains Drifter Member Posts: 35,542 ✭✭✭
    edited September 6
    We have two S&W model 36 with Crimson Trace grips. One is a 1-7/8" barrel "Ladysmith", and one is a 3" barrel 36-7(?). I'm an old fuddy, and lean to revolvers.

Here is the Ladysmith.

• mark christianmark christian Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 22,850 ******
    I have an LCR in the car, but only because it is the only handgun I have which is small enough to fit in the center console of my leaded Nissan Altima. For my money, the old S&W Model 37 remains hard to beat. 

• Horse Plains DrifterHorse Plains Drifter Member Posts: 35,542 ✭✭✭
    Mark, is the model 37 the aluminum alloy frame model?
  • dcon12dcon12 Member Posts: 30,802 ✭✭✭
    I carry a Taurus Ultra-Lite but carry a Colt Agent when I need more capacity. Don
  • gruntled2gruntled2 Member Posts: 445 ✭✭✭
    edited September 7
    "Best" leaves a lot of questions. I might suggest the most practical small handgun could be the NAA Black Widow in .22 mag. A reasonable minimum level of power & something you can almost always have with you.
    I remember when I was taking flying lessons they taught us the  most useless thing for a pilot is the gas you left behind. The same would apply for a handgun.

• FrogdogFrogdog Member Posts: 2,107 ✭✭✭

Revolver: Ruger LCRX

Semi-Auto: Kahr PM-9

• mark christianmark christian Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 22,850 ******
    Mark, is the model 37 the aluminum alloy frame model?
    It's aluminum, which means that it won't handle +P loads, or at least not many of them. +P+? Forget about it! 
  • redneckandyredneckandy Member Posts: 9,083 ✭✭✭
    I picked up a Ruger EC9s recently that  like. Not a single failure to date.
  • Smitty500magSmitty500mag Member Posts: 12,889 ✭✭✭✭
    I carry 2 of the lightest made.  A S&W 340PD .357 Mag with a Scandium frame and Titanium cylinder that weighs 11.58 ounces that includes a set of Crimson Trace laser grips.   

And a 1st generation Kel-Tec P-3AT .380 that weighs 7.48 ounces.

Wow. Those are light. What's worse is that you have a better digital scale than I do!

Mark, it may be time to upgrade  :#
  • RobOzRobOz Member Posts: 9,120 ✭✭✭

The S&W Shield ain't a bad way to go.

• bustedkneebustedknee Member Posts: 1,534 ✭✭✭
    Glock 43 under the belt and/or S&W 360PD on the ankle.

I can't believe they misspelled "Pork and Beans!"
    Wow. Those are light. What's worse is that you have a better digital scale than I do!

Mark, it may be time to upgrade  :#
    I use these Amstom lab scales for reloading these days. I was wanting some scales that weighed grains to 2 decimal places and they're a bit hard to find that don't cost an arm and a leg. I wouldn't pay the price they want for these new. I just happened to find a good deal on these and bought them.

• jimdeerejimdeere Member Posts: 20,062 ✭✭✭✭
    I picked up a Ruger EC9s recently that  like. Not a single failure to date.
    What I carry. I’ve shot a lot of Wolf steel cased 9mm through it.
  • chmechme Member Posts: 480 ✭✭✭
    Have a couple of old school Mdl 36s, a Model 39 (Bodyguard revolver) but I also have a Ruger LCP.  Also have an original AMT Backup in .380- works well, heavier than a boat anchor.  All will (IMHO) serve decently as a "Get OFF me!" gun.  
  • JimmyJackJimmyJack Member Posts: 3,954 ✭✭✭
    I have choices,  but seem to carry the Smith 642 the most.
  • SCOUT5SCOUT5 Member Posts: 14,654 ✭✭✭✭
    I pocket carry a model like this S&W 38  https://www.gunbroker.com/item/878258015
    Only mine is a lot older and the new models are lighter than mine.  Mine has wood grips which I think makes the draw smother than rubber grips.  Good pocket gun, draws easy and mine is accurate.   The reason I picked this type over other pocket guns was the fact I can fire it single action for accuracy when I need to yet the hammer can't hang up on my pocket.

If I was going to go with a double action only pocket gun it would be the Ruger LCR in 327 Federal.   Six rounds rather than five  the round is hot and you can run 32 H&R or 32 S&W longs if you want.
  • WarbirdsWarbirds Member Posts: 15,435 ✭✭✭

The Glock 48 with a few Shield Arms 15 round mags is my current go-to.

Glock 48

Shield Arms 15 round mags (3)

Dawson Fiber Optic sights.

Immensely capable, reliable and accurate package.

• montanajoemontanajoe Member, Moderator Posts: 51,001 ******
    SIG P238 .380 auto
    or
    SIG P938 9mm auto
    SCOUT5 said:
     The reason I picked this type over other pocket guns was the fact I can fire it single action for accuracy when I need to yet the hammer can't hang up on my pocket.

I carry a S&W 340PD snubby hammer less and I can shoot it like a single action too because I can stage the trigger. As you pull the trigger it has a definite click before the hammer falls and I can squeeze the trigger up to that point and take aim and it's no different than shooting a single action. 
  • mohawk600mohawk600 Member Posts: 2,672 ✭✭✭
    For pocket carry............KelTec P32...............for appendix carry............Sig P365..............or maybe a SW Shield.

• SW0320SW0320 Member Posts: 1,246 ✭✭✭
    SIG P238 .380 auto
    or
    SIG P938 9mm auto
    + 1 on these two.
  • KenK/84BravoKenK/84Bravo Member Posts: 7,374 ✭✭✭✭

Revolver S&W 642 Airweight.

Auto Kel-Tec P11.

Extreme NE TN/W NC ya'll. 😁

• kimikimi Member Posts: 44,610 ✭✭✭
    I appreciate all of the comments and pictures.  Thanks to all who contributed!
    What's next?
  • SCOUT5SCOUT5 Member Posts: 14,654 ✭✭✭✭
    SCOUT5 said:
     The reason I picked this type over other pocket guns was the fact I can fire it single action for accuracy when I need to yet the hammer can't hang up on my pocket.

I carry a S&W 340PD snubby hammer less and I can shoot it like a single action too because I can stage the trigger. As you pull the trigger it has a definite click before the hammer falls and I can squeeze the trigger up to that point and take aim and it's no different than shooting a single action. 
    Yep, you can stack the trigger on a double action and it makes a difference in accuracy.  Certainly a skill to practice which ever type you carry.
  • redhawkk480redhawkk480 Member Posts: 1,972 ✭✭✭
    SCOUT5 said:
    I pocket carry a model like this S&W 38  https://www.gunbroker.com/item/878258015
    Only mine is a lot older and the new models are lighter than mine.  Mine has wood grips which I think makes the draw smother than rubber grips.  Good pocket gun, draws easy and mine is accurate.   The reason I picked this type over other pocket guns was the fact I can fire it single action for accuracy when I need to yet the hammer can't hang up on my pocket.

If I was going to go with a double action only pocket gun it would be the Ruger LCR in 327 Federal.   Six rounds rather than five  the round is hot and you can run 32 H&R or 32 S&W longs if you want.
    you can also run 32acp if you really had to , there's enough of a rim on the 32acp to hold it in place , only problem with a double action revolver ejection is hit and miss, probably  have 2 or  3 to pouch out by hand,  in a single action no problem at all 

• WulfmannWulfmann Member Posts: 4,845 ✭✭✭
    Sig P365.
    Game changer 10-12 or 15 round magazine options and a micro sized pistol with excellent ergonomics allowing it to be shot comfortably
    Everything else falls short
    3YUCmbB.jpg
    "Fools learn from their own mistakes. I learn from the mistakes of others"
    Otto von Bismarck
  • us55840us55840 Member Posts: 31,282 ✭✭✭✭
    I like Glock model 33 in 357 sig with extended magazine.
     :) 
    "This country, with its institutions, belongs to the people who inhabit it. Whenever they shall grow weary of the existing government, they can exercise their constitutional right of amending it, or exercise their revolutionary right to overthrow it." Abraham Lincoln
  • ruger41ruger41 Member Posts: 14,409 ✭✭✭

I have 5 small guns to choose from and carry them regularly but I find myself carrying the Shield more than anything else these days. It’s an excellent little gun. If I have to go to a place like Seattle then I’ll take my Glock 32 or SIG P250C.

1. S&W Shield 9mm
    2. Taurus 850 .38 Special
    3. Ruger LCP .380
    4. Bond Arms derringer in 9mm.
    5. Springfield XD/s .45acp
  • Chief ShawayChief Shaway Member, Moderator Posts: 5,890 ******

I have the Ruger LCP’s in 9, .380, and .22

The 22 weighs next to nothing.

• redhawkk480redhawkk480 Member Posts: 1,972 ✭✭✭
    NAA revolver 22lr/22mag
    Beretta 21a  22lr with CCI stingers
    Beretta Tomcat 32acp
    S&W Bodyguard 380  with C/T green laser
    Ruger LCR 327 mag
    Ruger LCP 380
    Ruger LC9s 9mm

• 4205raymond4205raymond Member Posts: 1,614 ✭✭✭
    Great topic here. Have CCL but don't presently carry. Printed this out for future reference when I purchase for carry.
  • dreherdreher Member Posts: 7,328 ✭✭✭
    Since I believe you cannot beat a revolver as a carry gun I have both the Ruger LCR and the Smith 642.   I never know which one I will grab to drop in my pocket.  I like both.  Both are as accurate as can be expected for the closeup distances they are intended for.

The big thing is I don't have to remember to wipe off the safety, I don't have to remember to chamber a round, I don't have to worry about screwing up and short stroking when chambering the round, I don't have to worry about clearing a jamb. 
    I draw, aim, pull the trigger.  
  • badchrisbadchris Member Posts: 1,533 ✭✭✭

Another LCR fan here. Great DAO trigger for an inexpensive revolver. Fill it with quality self defense ammunition and you’re good to go.

Enemies of armed self-defense focus on the gun. They ignore the person protected with that gun.
  • asopasop Member Posts: 7,192 ✭✭✭
    Ruger LCP .380 carry in one of those tiny belt holsters.  Truck gun S&W  36.
    edited September 8
    A quick comparison of the S&W 9 mm Shield and the .38 Special S&W Model 37:

.38 vs. 9 mm can be argued forever, but the calibers are closely matched. 5 shots in the Model 37 vs 8 in the Shield is an issue, as well as the automatic's quicker reloading. Of course I just happen to like revolvers  ;)  

As always, my photos and my guns.