In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

The unmitigated gall of some people is a real head shaker.

2»

Comments

• Options
    Locust ForkLocust Fork Member Posts: 31,683 ✭✭✭✭
    I'd be tempted to trap them when they get on my property and start keeping them.    Make him come ask for them and tell him the ones you have are wild ones that you captured on your own land and you don't know where "his" sheep are because he obviously has a fence and they couldn't possibly be the same sheep.

LOCUST FORK CURRENT AUCTIONS: https://www.gunbroker.com/All/search?Sort=13&IncludeSellers=618902&PageSize=48 Listings added every Thursday! We do consignments, contact us at mckaygunsales@gmail.com
  • Options
    KenK/84BravoKenK/84Bravo Member Posts: 12,055 ✭✭✭✭

Reminds me of when I 1st moved on to my property. I had been here a couple weeks and had left to go buy a used riding mower. When I came back, someone had pulled a huge Horse Trailer with a Dually 4X4 onto my front yard and parked it. (We are a trailhead to 8000 acres of Wilderness trail access.)

I put a padlock on it, with a note to come see me/knock on the door when they came back.

Got my point across.

• Options
    Wild TurkeyWild Turkey Member Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭✭
    Back in the '60's in the Texas Panhandle some feral dogs got into a pen of calves dad had just received attacked several.  As a result the calves broke through a 5-wire fence and scattered several miles across the county.  Some got hit on a divided highway and some got killed on the Santa Fe right of way.
    Santa Fe had agreed to pay for any livestock it hit that was contained in a "quality fence" and there was no question of that, but the lawyers had to bill some hours and found ways to make dad jump through hoops, etc before judge ordered them to pay.
    That was mid July and calves had gotten hit in February.  Lawyers wanted them dug up and counted.  Judge said they'd been counted and for them to pay the claim immediately.

What the city lawyers didn't notice is that the dead calves weighed the same as their brothers -- they'd gained weight every time the lawyers pulled some nonsense on dad!

The sheriff knew it was feral dogs since the nose membrane on several was torn.  Wild canines go for the legs.
    Time for a sheriff or lawyer to visit them and explain their responsibilities.   Maybe their insurance agent?

Paintball guns, different color each time you find them on your property.  Mark the "habitual" fence crossers.

• Options
    BobJudyBobJudy Member Posts: 6,483 ✭✭✭✭
    Just out of curiosity, do you know anyone that shears sheep? If you do tell them you will give them the wool and afterwards see if your neighbor notices his bald sheep. If he does tell him it sounds like to much corn in their diet is causing their hair to fall out.  Bob
  • Options
    roswellnativeroswellnative Member Posts: 10,131 ✭✭✭✭
    Go buy a bucket of red ink. 

Hang several ropes around with inked ropes. 

When the red sheep show up he will start being more careful. 
    Although always described as a cowboy, Roswellnative generally acts as a righter of wrongs or bodyguard of some sort, where he excels thanks to his resourcefulness and incredible gun prowesses.
  • Options
    bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭
    To drill down to the real issue is pretty straightforward. 
    The hole in the fence, the one he said he could not find was EASY to find and fix.  His "repair" of this hole with a length of house wire was a joke, the sheep had been getting out for weeks.  My repair is still there and holding the sheep in, most of his fencing along the Township road and another landowner is a mess but seems to keep his sheep in his pasture.  The issue is the owner of the sheep has a pasture too small for the number of sheep he has.  It is over grazed.
    He owns PLENTY of land (three times what I own) to make a new fall/winter pasture for his sheep.  He has that land planted with deer plots and of course does not want his sheep tearing up his deer plots so he was opening the gate letting them roam the area untended eating the neighbors lawns, my pastures and of course my corn piles.
    If it happens again I will not be so neighborly and my "conversation" with him will be more of a stern lecture and a final warning before I call the sheriff and file a complaint.  I want to help, I will help fix any fence issues he has even if they are not on my property line.  But, his letting his sheep roam over hill and dale is going to end!
  • Options
    mogley98mogley98 Member Posts: 18,297 ✭✭✭✭
    "It was coming right at me"  An episode of South Park and the justification for shooting almost anything LOL

Why don't we go to school and work on the weekends and take the week off!
  • Options
    NeoBlackdogNeoBlackdog Member Posts: 16,654 ✭✭✭✭
    Time to invite the local kids over for some mutton bustin'!
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zx-NkfdqM44
    Can you put a padlock on the gates into your fields. Bpost?
  • Options
    JunkballerJunkballer Member Posts: 9,183 ✭✭✭✭
    bpost said:
     The messed up thought processes of some people amaze me.  Oh, imagine this they are Obama, Biden lovers......

Well that explains it all, they're fattening up their sheep on your dime and hoping they'll "behave" while out carousing around the area,   :D

"Never do wrong to make a friend----or to keep one".....Robert E. Lee

• Options
    WarbirdsWarbirds Member Posts: 16,839 ✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2020

I am waiting on Don to come along and offer a Dances With Sheep joke.

• Options
    Toolman286Toolman286 Member Posts: 2,989 ✭✭✭✭
    Sounds like the fence around his deer plots should start falling down.
  • Options
    Time to invite the local kids over for some mutton bustin'!
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zx-NkfdqM44
    Can you put a padlock on the gates into your fields. Bpost?
    Nope, there are no gates to my land, he lets them out about 3/8ths mile down the road across from his driveway near the sheep barn.  Of course the sheep know where the corn is so they beeline it to my land for a nice treat; my "pastures" are mowed and kept free of invasive weeds.  It is perfect fodder for sheep.  His land straddles the road, the bulk of his land is on his house side.  He is too lazy to put up more fence for pasture and mess up his deer plots.  Why fence in his sheep when he has free vittles for them on someone else's land?....

• Options
    GrasshopperGrasshopper Member Posts: 16,750 ✭✭✭✭
    Maybe offer sheep counseling for misbehaving?  They have animal psychiatrist. Just a thought.
  • Options
    SW0320SW0320 Member Posts: 2,395 ✭✭✭✭
    I agree with your sentiment.  I have had the same or similiar issues with my land.  I had put up gates to keep dirt bikes out that don't have persimission to be out on my land and they completely tore down the gates.  In addition they were cutting new trails in like they owned the land.  I posted it to hunters who do not have permission to be on my land and they tore all those down.

Nothing suprises me any more.
  • Options
    JimmyJackJimmyJack Member Posts: 5,398 ✭✭✭✭
    Ive got 4 apple trees 1/2 mile from the nearest road near my food plots,  and someone picked all 4 trees completely in one nite.  Needed an apple picker and had to be at least 15 gallons of apples. 
  • Options
    drobsdrobs Member Posts: 22,533 ✭✭✭✭
    It it happens again, call the Sheriff and have a Deputy speak to your neighbor.
  • Options
    SW0320SW0320 Member Posts: 2,395 ✭✭✭✭
    JimmyJack said:
    Ive got 4 apple trees 1/2 mile from the nearest road near my food plots,  and someone picked all 4 trees completely in one nite.  Needed an apple picker and had to be at least 15 gallons of apples. 
    That happened to a local orchard last year that had peach trees far away from the barn.  Someone came in and cleaned off all the peach trees.  It was much more than 4 trees.  Cannot understand it as we are not in a really depressed area that people need the food. 

We used to attend a Farmers Market, at the end each week the farmers would donate a bunch of products that would not last on their stand to the homeless shelter.  Yet people still steal.
  • Options
    jimdeerejimdeere Member, Moderator Posts: 25,667 ******
    Yet if you offered them $50 per hour to pick peaches, they’d turn you down.
  • Options
    jimdeerejimdeere Member, Moderator Posts: 25,667 ******
    In old England, churches would plant Japanese yew in the churchyard. Highly poisonous to livestock.. hmmm.
  • Options
    mohawk600mohawk600 Member Posts: 5,376 ✭✭✭✭
    I currently work in a grocery store while I am waiting to resume my radiology program.......I have to say, people really suck. Retail is hard. People come through the store and just destroy all of the work that the employees put in to make it look nice and stocked and present the merchandise. Working retail has made me really not like people in general.
  • Options
    Toolman286Toolman286 Member Posts: 2,989 ✭✭✭✭
    A friend works at a large grocery store. There are 2 slots at the cart return. He's simply amazed they can't keep the small & large ones separate.
  • Options
    chollagardenschollagardens Member Posts: 4,614 ✭✭✭
    SW0320 Posted

JimmyJack said:
    That happened to a local orchard last year that had peach trees far away from the barn.  Someone came in and cleaned off all the peach trees.  It was much more than 4 trees.  Cannot understand it as we are not in a really depressed area that people need the food.

There are two types of crop thieves. Amateur that stop and pick some fruit for themselves. Professional, that have equipment and strip an entire crop. These are not hungry people from depressed areas, they market the crops. It is getting worse every year.

• Options
    mohawk600 said:
    I currently work in a grocery store while I am waiting to resume my radiology program.......I have to say, people really suck. Retail is hard. People come through the store and just destroy all of the work that the employees put in to make it look nice and stocked and present the merchandise. Working retail has made me really not like people in general.

Working retail is the worst of the worst jobs by design.  The customers can be animals, pigs, cads, liars and thieves.  Not all of them, but enough to sour you on most of them.  The management system of never ending changes to hours and days is designed to get rid of people fast so they never can get any profit sharing bennies or even a raise.  You can not have a life while you work the insane shifts retail puts people on.   It is so easy to find people that are morning folks, they open the store, late sleepers, they are mid morning to late afternoon and those night owls that love to stay up to all hours of the night.  They work evenings.  Everybody is happy, everybody has the ability to schedule a life outside of the retail nightmare.
  • Options
    BobJudyBobJudy Member Posts: 6,483 ✭✭✭✭
    bpost said:
    mohawk600 said:

Working retail is the worst of the worst jobs by design.  The customers can be animals, pigs, cads, liars and thieves.  Not all of them, but enough to sour you on most of them.  The management system of never ending changes to hours and days is designed to get rid of people fast so they never can get any profit sharing bennies or even a raise.  You can not have a life while you work the insane shifts retail puts people on.   It is so easy to find people that are morning folks, they open the store, late sleepers, they are mid morning to late afternoon and those night owls that love to stay up to all hours of the night.  They work evenings.  Everybody is happy, everybody has the ability to schedule a life outside of the retail nightmare.
    I must have been lucky. After I semi retired I went work selling guns for one of the major outdoor retailers and had no problem with scheduling. Well almost no problem, my part time work turned out to be 40hrs/week for almost 12 years! I enjoyed 90% of the people I dealt with but you are right about the other 10%. Every time I had to deal with that 10% I just thought about how much I was increasing my 401K and didn't let them bother me. Retail customers are just like most extended families, most you are happy to see and a few you just can't stand. Bob
  • Options
    BrookwoodBrookwood Member, Moderator Posts: 13,379 ******
    In retail, you can wait on a boatload of very nice people but it only takes one bad apple to ruin your entire day!
  • Options
    jeffb1911jeffb1911 Member Posts: 2,111 ✭✭✭

Sounds to me on top of all the listed things they are intentionally sabotaging your hunting.

• Options
    jeffb1911jeffb1911 Member Posts: 2,111 ✭✭✭
  • Options
    MobuckMobuck Member Posts: 13,791 ✭✭✭✭
    Coming from a "tenured agriculturalist" (sounds way more impressive than "lifelong farmer" right?), FCD (and others) gave you some good advice but you seem to have ignored it. Quit complaining and call the Sheriff.  Build your half of a "LEGAL" fence and demand that the sheep owners do likewise. Keep in mind that the "legally defined" fence may not be adequate to hold sheep in which case the sheep owner may have to supplement the fencing.
    If the sheep owner did truly release the animals to run loose and they did damage the property of others, that constitutes negligence and should be compensated. You should have been taking pictures of this along with the damages to take to small claims court as evidence. When you get into injuring, killing, or even holding the animals for ransom, you get into some very shady areas of legality.  Been in on some of those shenanigans in the past.
  • Options
    MobuckMobuck Member Posts: 13,791 ✭✭✭✭
    "Send a bill registered mail, return receipt requested on all damage to date."
    Not the proper way to send a notice. Use CERTIFIED W/RETURN RECEIPT.