In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Right now, I'd trade places........

sxsnufsxsnuf Member Posts: 2,945 ✭✭✭✭

with just about anybody. That's how I feel, without considering how much worse some others may have it.

I'm sitting with my mother, in a pleasant room, surrounded by her favorite furnishings. There are flowers and cards filling the window sill. It's eerily quiet, save for her every laboured breath sounding like a "death rattle". I don't expect her to make it through the night, but we've thought that for the last 3 or4 nights. About 10 days ago, she began to aspirate her food and water. We quit pushing her to eat and drink, only giving either when she requested it, and only in small quantities. Now, she has tested positive for wuflu, though I don't think that's currently adding to her respiratory distress.

I never previously imagined how totally helpless I would feel in this moment, yet I know I'm fortunate to be here with her. I'm well aware of the millions who, over the last 15 months, lost loved ones to the chinese plague, with no opportunity to speak final words or just give a gentle squeeze of the hand. I can do that for my mom, and I THINK she's aware that I'm here with her. For 6 1/2 decades, she would have done anything to protect me and help me, yet I am powerless to ease her suffering.

Outside her room are 3 of those clear, plastic drawer sets. They contain gowns, faceshields, rubber gloves and n-95 masks. The expectation is, that every time I enter the room, I'm to don the full compliment of protective gear, then discard everything before leaving the room. Is it selfish of me to ignore that expectation? Should I be more willing to approach my own mother as if she's some kind of toxic waste?

Well, whether you do or don't understand what I'm rambling about, please send up a prayer or good thought on Pearl's behalf. Trust me when I say, she's earned it!

Arrivederci gigi

Comments

• Options

Thank you Nanuq. Your words and prayers are a true comfort.

Arrivederci gigi
  • Options
    gjshawgjshaw Member Posts: 14,697 ✭✭✭✭

Prayers asked for your mother.

• Options
    BrookwoodBrookwood Member, Moderator Posts: 13,346 ******

I don't mean to take anything away from your precious moments with your mom sxsnuf but you are very fortunate to be allowed in her room.

Last June, my brother passed away totally alone from all his family. Wife of 49 years, two grown kids, and all his brothers and sisters were forbidden to visit. After nearly a year later, his wife still cannot find any kind of a peaceful closure. She is what I would call grief stricken to the max and her tears are shed with the slightest reminder.

I hope and pray for you and your mom in her final hours, to find peace and the comfort of our Lords Precious Holy Spirit.

• Options
    MobuckMobuck Member Posts: 13,779 ✭✭✭✭

I can empathize with you. Been there, done that just over 20 years back.

• Options

Thanx to everyone who's responded.

Brookwood, I didn't think you were taking anything away by pointing out how fortunate I am to have this time. In my OP I mentioned the millions of family members who were robbed of their final farewells by draconian, oppressive, dehumanizing restrictions. That you and your family were among them, is truly heartbreaking and maddening at the same time. I'm so sorry that happened to you. This facility, while it is currently under lockdown, is allowing visitors for end of life residents only. That we're allowed to stay overnight is a tribute to my mother, from the staff. Mom's been a well loved resident here for 10 years and they've tried hard to accommodate us. My poor sister is at home with chinavirus and can only communicate her love and prayers by speaker phone.

Arrivederci gigi
  • Options
    danielgagedanielgage Member Posts: 10,474 ✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    WarbirdsWarbirds Member Posts: 16,834 ✭✭✭✭

My heartfelt sentiment for you and your family.

If you need something from any of us, please ask.

• Options
    SCOUT5SCOUT5 Member Posts: 16,182 ✭✭✭✭

I have spent the last hours with family member. In my profession I have seen and assisted many others as they do so. Your mother knows you are there and treasures that you can be. Bless you all.

• Options
    BobJudyBobJudy Member Posts: 6,473 ✭✭✭✭

Having been through this myself, any words of sympathy that I may give seem lacking. Any words of encouragement seem somehow wrong. Prayers sent. Bob

• Options
    Ruger4meRuger4me Member, Moderator Posts: 3,345 ******

Prayers for you, your mom and family.

• Options
    Horse Plains DrifterHorse Plains Drifter Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 39,357 ***** Forums Admin

Prayers for your mom, you, and any other family.

• Options
    pulsarncpulsarnc Member Posts: 6,248 ✭✭✭✭

Most of us have been thru this rite of passage already or soon will. Cherish th e time you get to spend with her . Talk to her about your favorite memories of growing up ,i am convinced they hear more than we think .Prayers for a safe journey across Jordan

cry Havoc and let slip  the dogs of war..... 
  • Options
    mac10mac10 Member Posts: 2,541 ✭✭✭✭

most of use have gone thru the same thing it is super hard. prayers

• Options
    Old-ColtsOld-Colts Member Posts: 22,700 ✭✭✭

Prayers said!

If you can't feel the music; it's only pink noise!

• Options
    Grunt2Grunt2 Member Posts: 2,525 ✭✭✭✭
    Retired LEO
    Combat Vet VN
    D.A.V Life Member
  • Options
    montanajoemontanajoe Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 57,999 ******

Prayers for you and your mother.

just went through this with wifes dad.

• Options
    select-fireselect-fire Member Posts: 69,453 ✭✭✭✭
  • Options

Thank you GB family. Your prayers and well wishes mean more than you know.

Did this 20 yrs ago with my Dad and I'm confident they're sliding across a glorious dancefloor together as I write this.

I was fortunate to be with her as she drew her last earthly breath about 8 Pacific time this morning.

Arrivederci gigi
  • Options
    diver-rigdiver-rig Member Posts: 6,342 ✭✭✭✭

Sorry for your loss.

• Options
    Old-ColtsOld-Colts Member Posts: 22,700 ✭✭✭

I'm very sorry for your loss! Prayers said for peace, comfort, and strength for you and your family!

If you can't feel the music; it's only pink noise!

• Options
    NeoBlackdogNeoBlackdog Member Posts: 16,638 ✭✭✭✭

Sorry for your loss, SXS. It's good that you could be there with her. You're a good son.

• Options
    BettyBoop48BettyBoop48 Member Posts: 12 ✭✭

So sorry for your loss. May the good Lord be with you,

• Options
    BettyBoop48BettyBoop48 Member Posts: 12 ✭✭
  • Options
    GrasshopperGrasshopper Member Posts: 16,745 ✭✭✭✭

My condolences. May she RIP and you have comfort for your soul.

• Options
    snakedoctor12snakedoctor12 Member Posts: 24

Prayers for you and your family. May God bless you during this time.

• Options
    mohawk600mohawk600 Member Posts: 5,376 ✭✭✭✭

Condolences for your loss. Take comfort in the fact that you were able to be with her at the end of her life. I am sure she knew that you were there. Prayers for you and your family.

• Options
    Gregor62Gregor62 Member Posts: 3,058 ✭✭✭✭

Sorry for your loss. Condolences to you and your family.

• Options
    grdad45grdad45 Member Posts: 5,317 ✭✭✭✭

Condolences sent, I was with both of my parents when they passed away. I am glad I was able to do that. Your Mother was blessed that you were with her.

• Options
    Nanuq907Nanuq907 Member Posts: 2,552 ✭✭✭✭

I’m sorry brother. Memorial Day will mean something special from now on. I like the mental image of them sliding across that heavenly dance floor together again.

• Options
    pickenuppickenup Member Posts: 22,844 ✭✭✭✭

Sorry to hear the SAD news. She knows you were there for her.

• Options
    Ditch-RunnerDitch-Runner Member Posts: 24,556 ✭✭✭✭

Sorry for your loss

Take comfort you were there I am sure she knew and you helped her knowing some one she loved dearly was with her in her last moments in this mortal world

• Options
    hillbillehillbille Member Posts: 14,169 ✭✭✭✭

so sorry to hear, prayers to all involved and a little peace in knowing her suffering is over.

• Options
    Ruger4meRuger4me Member, Moderator Posts: 3,345 ******

May she rest in peace.

• Options
    4205raymond4205raymond Member Posts: 3,248 ✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2021

I am so sorry for your loss. May your dear mom RIP forever.--------Ray

• Options
    Mr. PerfectMr. Perfect Member, Moderator Posts: 66,260 ******

Prayers from here. Sorry for your loss brother.

Some will die in hot pursuit
    And fiery auto crashes
    Some will die in hot pursuit
    While sifting through my ashes
    Some will fall in love with life
    And drink it from a fountain
    That is pouring like an avalanche
    Coming down the mountain
  • Options
    Horse Plains DrifterHorse Plains Drifter Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 39,357 ***** Forums Admin

So sorry for your loss, prayers for your family.

• Options
    likemhotlikemhot Member Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭

Prayers sent from our neck of the woods,🙏 Eternal rest grant unto her Oh Lord