In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

How has COVID had an impact on you?

IdahoboundIdahobound Member Posts: 20,584 ✭✭✭

I can tell you COVID has had a huge impact on me personally and professionally. It has been a rough 18 months on me. I haven’t had time to be on the forums much at all. Work has suck ever last passion I have out of me. I use to spend hours a day on the forums. Today was the first time I even logged on to the forums in months. I miss a lot of you. I still text and talk to the members I have been closest to, but things have changed. I hope you are all doing well. I will try and stop by more often. Not that I expect anyone to miss me. I just really have enjoyed my time here.

Comments

• Options
    Ditch-RunnerDitch-Runner Member Posts: 24,551 ✭✭✭✭

PITA for my wife she has to wear a mask at work and no one likes it even talks about refusing to do it but so far just talk ( yes I know it could be a lot worse I know compared to many peoples problems and deaths )

she had to take off 4 weeks earlier this year ( no pay ) because she came into contact for about 5 minutes with a suspect employee who thought they had it but they returned to work a couple days later false reading . my wife is a temporary worker has a different set of rules so had to stay off to make sure she did not get it even though tther was noting to get the other employee is a full time associate , not fair but so goes life .

my wife had a aunt and a cousin's husband both died from covid a few months ago her aunt was staying with her grand daughter ( wife of the fellow who died ) when both came down with it .

I have a BIL by marriage his sister is not doing well and may pass due to covid in the hospital currently

did they have underlying issues I do not know but I would guess yes .

now there ( our wonderful big brother government ) saying every one may have to wear a mask and get a shot(s) even if you had the shots

from what I have seen it sounds like the entire world ( most all country's ) are not liking there government's forcing it on them and protest seem to be getting bigger

• Options
    gjshawgjshaw Member Posts: 14,697 ✭✭✭✭

My wife and I both had the COVID in March of 2020 and our breathing has both been deminished by half. I now have medicine I have to take every day just to breath better.

• Options
    BrookwoodBrookwood Member, Moderator Posts: 13,346 ******

The worst for me is not seeing my kids and grandkids for several months on end. I am fortunate however by avoiding the plague so far anyway. I did lose an older brother back in June of last year.

• Options
    select-fireselect-fire Member Posts: 69,453 ✭✭✭✭

My last name has been Hermit .

• Options
    MobuckMobuck Member Posts: 13,778 ✭✭✭✭

One of my employees died Nov 2019 from the KungFlu before we even knew what it was. Her husband and I both had it in December. We lived and neither has any lasting effects. My work income as contactor for a Federal agency dropped 75% plus my job description changed from FTF to phone only contact--a real PITA for a "people person". Two of my employees quit due to this phone only restriction and 1/2 of the others are constantly complaining about it.

At this point, I can't even have FTF training with my employees w/o asking permission and most of my people don't learn well by watching videos. We've been told that 'some' FTF training will be allowed soon and possibly a return to full FTF contact work by December. Now, there's a upsurge of flu variants which may change that.

On the flip side, my spouse got 8 months of "paid vacation" because she played the 'over 60' card. Guess it's all how you look at the issue. I'm amazed at how so many people just hid during this 'lock down'. Not in farm country, we were out every day doing what we do and going about our business regardless.

• Options
    Floyd621Floyd621 Member Posts: 1,945 ✭✭✭✭

My 82 year old uncle had it.. spent 3 days in the hospital..my 81 year old neighbor had it.. spent 1 night in the hospital..I think I had it back last summer.. was sick for 2 or 3 days.. coughed up crap for a month..my doctor told me I most likely did..

• Options
    varianvarian Member Posts: 2,250 ✭✭✭✭

i had my first shot, 10 days later got the disease, made it thru that without being hospitalized. two days ago got my second shot, waiting to see how it all this plays out.

• Options
    mac10mac10 Member Posts: 2,541 ✭✭✭✭

the gun biz has been great😍

• Options
    Don McManusDon McManus Member Posts: 23,473 ✭✭✭✭

Covid, other than having to put a mask on my face for no good reason did not have much of an effect on my day-to-day life.

Spent a few weeks where we did not go out as much, but moving to a state that respects the freedoms of the individual at the onset of the panic made a big difference. Did not travel as much, which is my preference anyway.

In the big picture, however, I mourn the loss of many of my fellow Americans and mourn more so the mindless acquiescence to arbitrary dictates by ignorant technocrats, ignorant politicians, and worse, those in both categories that have co-opted the panic to expand the authority of governments from the top down.

The lasting effect of Covid will be a statistically insignificant demographic change in our citizenry and a devastating change in the relationship between the individual and government. Callus, yes, but with the average age of death well above the average life-span of Americans, excess deaths over a five year period will be minimal. The damage done by the imposed parenting by government and the acceptance of this parenting by a wide swath of the citizenry will negatively effect personal liberties for decades to come.

Freedom and a submissive populace cannot co-exist.

Brad Steele
  • Options
    BobJudyBobJudy Member Posts: 6,473 ✭✭✭✭

Did the research and talked to several doctors about my health problems and decided to get the shot(s). I had my second Moderna midway through February and so far so good. Other than the government making the vaccine available their urging vaccinations had little to do with my decision.

The only effects the pandemic has had on my lifestyle has been the shortages and increased prices on things like groceries and ammo. Oh yeah, toilet paper was a small worry but we still had a months worth when it finally became common in the stores again. Now the biggest problem is finding a decent restaurant that has enough help to take care of their customers. Bob

• Options
    mohawk600mohawk600 Member Posts: 5,376 ✭✭✭✭

I had hip replacement surgery in Dec 2019.......right before it began. I stayed in a rehab hospital for a month and then went to my mom's house to further recover (the surgery didn't go well). Was out of work for six months due to that and then I eased back into work............with the mask hysteria full on. I deal with hundreds of people every day and never got sick that I know of..........who knows? Could have had it. 14 months ago...........my daughter (now 17 yo) flew from Colombia to Texas to stay with my mom ( I live in an efficiency apartment) and finish high school here. She immediately got a job as a hostess in a small restaurant near my mom's house and then a job at Sonic. She has been doing school on line, working two jobs (now Sonic and Subway) and is on course to graduate this year.

All-in all.............no effect on me or my family. Some of my family have had it with no ill effects and some have not. Life goes on and * happens............got to roll with it. At least I get to spend more time with my daughter now that she is back in Texas, living with Gram. I get to spend more time with my mom too.

• Options
    Gregor62Gregor62 Member Posts: 3,054 ✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2021

Concur chief!

The house here in Michigan finally put a leash on our beoch governor. No more mandates by that loser.

Bankrupted my SIL's business, and closed a lot of the restaurants around us.

I predict at least ten years to recover from this.

I hope we learn something substantial from the whole thing. Hah...

• Options
    WarbirdsWarbirds Member Posts: 16,834 ✭✭✭✭

It has been very hard.

• Options
    Marc1301Marc1301 Member Posts: 31,897 ✭✭✭

Worked every day since this started. I have lost a few acquaintances, and have a real friend that is in danger of passing as I write this. Even after I told him I was vaccinated with Moderna, he just blew it off and said maybe down the road for him and his family.

At this moment he is in ICU on his stomach 13 hours a day, on a ventilator to stay alive (basically knocked out 24/7). Skinny guy with no health issues, and a non-smoker 56 years old. Without the vent his O2 levels hit the upper 40s which is quick death. Even with a miracle, he will have permanent damage to his lungs according to the docs, also damage to virtually all of his other organs as well.

I pray for a miracle, but right now it doesn't look like he is going to make it. He passed it to his wife, but she is doing fine,....just minor symptoms.

Make your choices, spin the wheel and take your chances I guess.

"Beam me up Scotty, there's no intelligent life down here." - William Shatner
  • Options
    pulsarncpulsarnc Member Posts: 6,247 ✭✭✭✭

Wife works for the local school system as a cafeteria manager . Really screwed up schedules and work load . Most of the last school year they did a drive thru for parents to pick up bagged meals for the lids . No one had to show proof of kids attending said school ,just drive up ,state number of meals wanted , get meals and drive off . Lots of folks took full advantage of the loopholes .

cry Havoc and let slip  the dogs of war..... 
  • Options
    MobuckMobuck Member Posts: 13,778 ✭✭✭✭

"i had my first shot, 10 days later got the disease, made it thru that without being hospitalized. two days ago got my second shot, waiting to see how it all this plays out."

No offense intended but this is the logic I simply can't understand.

• Options
    hillbillehillbille Member Posts: 14,169 ✭✭✭✭

one of the worst things was it caused Biden to win election...........

• Options
    Toolman286Toolman286 Member Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭✭

I learned to be a better cook. Wife only mildly complains if it's too spicy/hot.

• Options
    oldWinchesterfanoldWinchesterfan Member Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭

Killed my uncle, left my mom with even less lung function than she had before she caught it. Some friends and neighbors lost loved ones while others have long term health complications. Reinforced for me that life is short and no one knows how short it will be.

• Options
    armilitearmilite Member Posts: 35,478 ✭✭✭

Well I still haven't been back to my job at the hotel since March of 20. How ever I did pay off all my credit cards.

• Options
    mauser98mauser98 Member Posts: 137 ✭✭

Ruined gun show sales for me, devastated the flea markets i sell at. As a gunshow ,fleamarket and collectable antiques seller it has been a very terrible time. Customer buying attitudes have changed for the worst, they have gotten cheaper. Now i am reduced to giving my items to local auctions and having them selling for literally pennies on the dollar. My bayonets sold for a 1/4 of thier value.

• Options
    Ruger4meRuger4me Member, Moderator Posts: 3,345 ******

Butchdog2 you nailed it should all be our own choice but the media and politicos want us fighting each other to not see the man behind the curtain...

• Options
    Bubba Jr.Bubba Jr. Member Posts: 8,191 ✭✭✭✭

The only time the wife and I leave the property is to go to Drs. and she goes to the grocery. So far we're doing fine. Well other than the groundhogs are eating the tomatoes out of the garden.

Joe

• Options
    Butchdog2Butchdog2 Member Posts: 3,834 ✭✭✭✭

They say ground hog is good eating if fixed properly.

I did taste it years ago and it was pretty good. Best I know they should be one of the cleanest animals out there.

Now take chicken, everyone lovers it but they will eat anything even what they drop behind sometimes.😕

• Options
    RIA10MMRIA10MM Member Posts: 226 ✭✭✭

Lost a co worker today. ICU 10 days.

• Options
    dunbarboyzdunbarboyz Member Posts: 2,171 ✭✭✭✭

Lost my mother to a stroke 5/20. Lost my wife to cancer 5/21. They were not flu related but all family things that should happen could not.

• Options
    jimdeerejimdeere Member, Moderator Posts: 25,649 ******

I survived the shots and masks. I will now live to be 94 only to be killed by a jealous husband.

• Options

The friend I spoke of in my prior post above passed on Monday 8/2 at the age of 56 leaving behind a wife, several children, and 2 grand-children. Healthy as a horse before picking this chit up.

What a way to go,......hospitalized for a month with a tube down your throat and sedated to a coma like state while they flip the bed 13 hours face down, and the rest face up.

RIP Scott.

Florida is on fire with this crap again.

• Options
    gjshawgjshaw Member Posts: 14,697 ✭✭✭✭

My condolences Mark, we have lost many close friends to this terrible COVID-19.

• Options
    Bubba Jr.Bubba Jr. Member Posts: 8,191 ✭✭✭✭

I also found out they are pretty smart. Too smart to go into a trap and eat a tomato.

Joe

• Options
    mogley98mogley98 Member Posts: 18,297 ✭✭✭✭

Lost my Mom on Thanksgiving day 2020 I couldn't even get in the hospital to see her :(

Why don't we go to school and work on the weekends and take the week off!
  • Options
    mike55mike55 Member Posts: 2,866 ✭✭✭✭

I think it changed the whole world for the worse. I do believe it was intentional and done to collapse the economy so that pres Trump would lose. Aside from the medical problems and lives lost, the social and economic devastation will take DECADES to recover from....if we do!

• Options
    Butchdog2Butchdog2 Member Posts: 3,834 ✭✭✭✭

Mike, you are most likely on the right track

• Options
    Don McManusDon McManus Member Posts: 23,473 ✭✭✭✭

I too do not believe the release was by design to remove Trump. The reaction by what can only be termed the Deep State, however, was specifically designed with that goal.

Freedom and a submissive populace cannot co-exist.

Brad Steele
  • Options
    Mr. PerfectMr. Perfect Member, Moderator Posts: 66,260 ******

I don't want to talk about it.

Some will die in hot pursuit
    And fiery auto crashes
    Some will die in hot pursuit
    While sifting through my ashes
    Some will fall in love with life
    And drink it from a fountain
    That is pouring like an avalanche
    Coming down the mountain
  • Options

Thanks Gary, and the same condolences to you as well.

Another day, and another guy I know in ICU. 48 in great health,........workout fanatic actually, and once again non-vaccinated. He just went in Wednesday afternoon from what I heard today.

I hope his outcome is better as he has not been 'vented' as of yet. This is unreal.