In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Unnecessary tools

WarbirdsWarbirds Member Posts: 16,839 ✭✭✭✭

My wife thinks its absolutely rediculous that I own a decimeter.

Sometimes I want to know how loud something really is.

I’m sure some here have a tool or two others may deem “unnecessary”.

What ya got?

This is my decimeter measuring the sound of my 3d printer before I enclosed it.

After the enclosure

Comments

• Options
    montanajoemontanajoe Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 58,020 ******

I have used and needed every tool I have. To me none are unnecessary.

• Options
    MobuckMobuck Member Posts: 13,791 ✭✭✭✭

I had a lot of tools that weren't used often but when they were needed, they were needed badly.

• Options
    JunkballerJunkballer Member Posts: 9,183 ✭✭✭✭

I think I have more tools than Lowes and Home Depot combined, some are very special & unique 😊. After I'm gone the next owners can decide what to do with them......but I'm keep'en them.

"Never do wrong to make a friend----or to keep one".....Robert E. Lee

• Options
    FrogdogFrogdog Member Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭✭

If you ask my wife, she would probably say all the tools in the garage are “unnecessary.”

I would say the same about all the “junk” in her craft room.

• Options
    BobJudyBobJudy Member Posts: 6,481 ✭✭✭✭

Sometimes I won't need a particular tool for several years and then when I do, it is nowhere to be found. I have gone as long as a week looking for that tool in those situations before giving up and buying another one. A couple times after completing the project, I looked at my new tool and figured out the best place to store it so I can find it if needed. Yupp, you guessed it, I found the missing one where I decided to store the new one. So no, I don't have any unnecessary tools, but I do have multiples of ones that are rarely needed. 😁 Bob

• Options
    Ditch-RunnerDitch-Runner Member Posts: 24,574 ✭✭✭✭

I plead some what guilty over the years I have bought tools that may have been just for that one job or a coupe ) but it still way cheaper than have a shop do the work

not bragging by a long shot so please don't take it that way l what's a lot to me may be nothing to others

as it took me a life time to accumulate them , when my wife and i married I had a just a small craftsman tool box with basic stuff that was it . so I started buying bits and pieces as money would allow and working on people's cars and scrounging junk yars and reselling car parts on the side I used the money to buy more tools but after the internet came along an opened up the used tools at 1/4 the new price I was like a kid in the candy store and having a decent job by then that allowed me to buy tools of course

with out detail I have about every trade covered from plumbing, electrical, auto repair, small engine repair car engine repair auto body repair , gun repair and many more . Like I have posted I truly enjoyed working and repairing about every thing I would buy ( sill do a little ) damaged or non working, broken items get them working the internet is a fantasic place to find just about evey part or piece you need but time and a some what worn out body have cut deep into my enjoyment and time spend doing such things .

I am sure I have tools when I kick off people will be asking what the heck is that for and what does it do

and same thought if one is good than four is better

sorry for the story I cut it back several times I am a toolacholic 😁 😎 and wife would swear to that. but she know I can repair just about any thing so she some what puts up with me but a few yrs back she did say no more tools my god LOL

• Options
    BrookwoodBrookwood Member, Moderator Posts: 13,368 ******

I made the mistake of buying a very expensive set of wood working chisels some years ago. Have only used the 3 smallest ones and have even worn them out and had to replace them. I learned to buy the pricey tools in the needed sizes only!!

• Options
    love2shootlove2shoot Member Posts: 553 ✭✭✭

I have 7 woodworking routers!

• Options
    hillbillehillbille Member Posts: 14,181 ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2023

cleaning out garage year or two back, looking for something, found an old craftsman engine analyzer, small about size of a toaster, did all sorts of things from timing, tach and dwell, rpms, ect. really nothing you could use on a new engine.. put it out in one of the wifes yardsales and had an old fellow, older than me anyway, ask me if I would take $10 for it, as he only wanted it for the feature to set the points on an old tractor of his. we talked about wether or not it would work for that and he seemed to think it would. since it was late in the day I just gave it to him, allways wondered though if it worked for him. I know I bought it back in the early 80's and doubt I had used a dozen times.......

did keep my timing light, though with todays variable timing, computer run engines I think it is useless also....

• Options
    Zebra 2.0Zebra 2.0 Member Posts: 29 ✭✭

I've always wanted one of those colored FLIR camera's to scan the woodline at night. So darn expensive though.

• Options
    edited January 2023

when I met my going to be wife . our 1st Christmas together she ask what I would like for a present I told her a Sun tune up kit so she bought it for me at the time ( 1978 ) I think it was ball park of $100.00 at the time . it was a truly great present for a car nut at the time I had nothing even close to help tune up a car it was by ear and feel . I still have the set and even bought a another one a few yrs ago off the internet 😁 why well just because 🙄 like I posted 1 is 0 and 2 is one LOL

I still have a couple 69 Camaros and had some friends that have older cars I would help them with ( but they have all passed on 😥 RIP to a bunch of great friends ) ) but any way as for the tools I can still use them.

besides I think they just remind me of the good old days of being young and fast cars were a passion of mine

here is a photo of one like it

my wife even bought my 1st air compressor and paint gun a local auction (the fellow worked on and painted cars . ) came up I had to work so she went ( love that woman ) I ask her if she could and gave her a ball park amount to spend she had no idea about any of it , when I came home she had bought the compressor a small one and a Binks paint gun or two and several boxes full of automotive paint and related items . I was in heaven 😉

did I mention I truly love that gal

• Options
    pulsarncpulsarnc Member Posts: 6,257 ✭✭✭✭

I have of computer collection of engine rebuilding tools . Ridge reamer, valve compresser , bearing removal / install tool etc . Doubt that I will every redo another 289 or 390 but the tools are there. I can say the same thing about a lot of my stuff.

cry Havoc and let slip  the dogs of war..... 
  • Options
    Ruger4meRuger4me Member, Moderator Posts: 3,358 ******

Yes i have tools that rarely get used because I needed them at the time and to rent was almost the same as to buy... things like that do seem to not be found when I need them the next time so yes I do have a couple of em when I don't need them... currently building a shed/well house and will end up with more tools than will fit in the shed most likely... Men and tools are kinda like women and just about anything clothes related, can never have too many.

• Options
    chris8X57chris8X57 Member Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭✭

I have around forty Monoset collets for my Cincinnati milling machine. I use around six of the most common fractional sizes but I won't part with the extras.

• Options
    He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 50,953 ✭✭✭✭

I would have asked why you have a 3-D printer.😈

• Options

way back 😥when younger I would have loved to had a mill, now using it would be a different story 😕I just knew I wanted one and a lathe 😁 but back then it was like the best ultimate tools for what I could have hoped for . just finding a older better grade drill press well some what was a huge step up for me . never did get a mill or lathe. odds are they would have just been garage art in my case any way 😐️

when I was just a really young fellow around 10 to 12 yrs old their was a older fellow he must have been at least 50 😲 LOL

had a old garage/ shop in the ally we called it .

its doors stayed shut 95 % of the time even had the few windows frosted that faced my friends yard , any way he never said much to us kids except yell at us for bouncing a ball off his garage doors some times the old wooden sliding type

but when we did get to see inside I remember he had a lot of machining tools and a nice shop set up . well beyond my compression as a kid at the time like a page out of a popular mechanics magazine

but what us young fellows did know the pin up girls and calendars with mostly nude ladies that were posted on the cabinets and walls ( not a lot of them just a few ) around his shop truly were what drew our attention 😍

many years later I met a grand son of his , he said ya grandpa was a some what quiet fellow loved to work in the shop and had some nice tools .

• Options
    Okie743Okie743 Member Posts: 2,585 ✭✭✭✭

Several of our so called male politicians should be required to pass this Stud finder test BEFORE being allowed to run for office or for re-election. (drain and weed out the swamp)

Better to have a tool and not need it than to need a tool and not have it.

I do most all my own repairs and finally got my tools where I know the general vicinity of where they are located if I need one. I've found once I know where one tool is located/stored at I do not try to move it to a new location so as I can locate it easier later. (I usually cannot remember it's new place, just that I moved it when I see it's not in it's old place.

• Options
    BrookwoodBrookwood Member, Moderator Posts: 13,368 ******

Harbor Freight is my go to place nowadays and took the place of Sears. I live about 10 miles away from the nearest. If I need something fast there is an Ace Hardware 3 miles away.

• Options
    edited January 2023

Thinking about it, I guess the closest to unnecessary I have would be a old SWR meter. Haven't used it or a CB radio in probably 35-40 years.

• Options
    Don McManusDon McManus Member Posts: 23,489 ✭✭✭✭
    Freedom and a submissive populace cannot co-exist.

Brad Steele
  • Options
    Mr. PerfectMr. Perfect Member, Moderator Posts: 66,300 ******

I have a 3 ft pipe wrench that, although it's the real deal, it won't ever do any thing more than hold down the floor.

Some will die in hot pursuit
    And fiery auto crashes
    Some will die in hot pursuit
    While sifting through my ashes
    Some will fall in love with life
    And drink it from a fountain
    That is pouring like an avalanche
    Coming down the mountain
  • Options
    OakieOakie Member Posts: 40,519 ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2023

How many of you still have your 10mm socket or wrench😣. Yes, I have tools that I only used once, but I do have it, and that is what counts

• Options
    Butchdog2Butchdog2 Member Posts: 3,834 ✭✭✭✭

No such thing as an unnecessary tool.

I have a timing light and dwell meter, ocassionly use it.

• Options
    lkanneslkannes Member Posts: 2,265 ✭✭✭

This thread resembles me.

• Options

operating system

router

earthnet cable

printer

• Options
    JunkballerJunkballer Member Posts: 9,183 ✭✭✭✭

At my age the handiest tool I own is a homemade "cheater bar", I never leave home without it, it's priceless 😊

"Never do wrong to make a friend----or to keep one".....Robert E. Lee

• Options
    toad67toad67 Member Posts: 13,019 ✭✭✭✭

Plenty of useless tools in the White house.....

• Options
    Horse Plains DrifterHorse Plains Drifter Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 39,380 ***** Forums Admin

Very true! I have two 50 ton, and three 100 ton porta power cylinders. They are rarely used, but when you need to rare and push the living heck out of something nasty, they will do it, and right now.

• Options
    William81William81 Member Posts: 24,593 ✭✭✭✭

No such thing as an unnecessary tool. I have a shop full of tools my Father in Law left me. I seldom use many of them, but my neighbors often come by to borrow some from time to time. And they have used some to fix my equipment too. So it is always good to have the right tool for the right time even if it sits around gathering dust most of the time......

• Options
    discusdaddiscusdad Member Posts: 11,418 ✭✭✭✭

for a while, i had a STARRETT [ THE name in micrometers] revolutions micrometer. a little device that had a cone shaped probe that one put into the centering hole of a motor shaft to gauge how fast it was turning. i sold it to an electrician that used it on electric motors to double check the printed operation parameters of a motor.

• Options
    Merlinnv12Merlinnv12 Member Posts: 1,200 ✭✭✭✭

I have 2 of those rev meters and still use them now and again.

“What we’ve got here, is, failure to communicate.”