In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Unnecessary tools

2»

Comments

• Options
    KenK/84BravoKenK/84Bravo Member Posts: 12,055 ✭✭✭✭

Yeah, I've got 10mm sockets and wrenches.

What's the big joke about?

My Dad and his Father owned a Hardware store in the 40's. My Dad had about every tool known to Man. I've got most all of them now. The most cherished are the really old time tools, you just don't run across any more. Chest drills, (elaborate set ups, all the bells and whistles etc.) Wood chisels, old time screw drivers, etc. etc. Doubt my Son will appreciate them the way I do.

No such thing as a useless/unnecessary tool.

• Options
    Toolman286Toolman286 Member Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭✭

Everything today is 10mm. It doesn't matter if it's built in the USA. Instead of 3/8" & 7/16", they're using 10mm. Probably cause they're importing parts. Good idea to stock up at HF & paint them red.

• Options
    Ditch-RunnerDitch-Runner Member Posts: 24,604 ✭✭✭✭

Moment of weakness

Two days ago I bought another craftsman

Circular saw with the Lazer and light upgrade lol

It was to cheap to pass up included had the hard plastic case looks like new it was right around 25.00 including shipping with shipping

I know their has to at least 6 may be more in the pole barn similar but hording a trate i have gained after retiting and getting old thats my excuse

along with Hating to pass on it was too much . But I will gift it to one of my sons or inlaws later on This summer

I know battery tools are convenient but ten years from now all my corded tools will work

Provided we still have and not been outlawed to use the electric to use them

• Options
    allen griggsallen griggs Member Posts: 35,259 ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2023

Does a slide rule count? When I was a freshman at Ga. Tech, about half the students there carried a slide rule. It was the mark of a true Ga. Tech nerd to have an embossed leather sheath, about ten inches long, which they wore on their belt, and it contained their slide rule.

About 4,000 of those nerds had those fancy leather slide rule holsters.

I bet there are a lot of slide rules gathering dust these days.

• Options
    BobJudyBobJudy Member Posts: 6,487 ✭✭✭✭

There is at least one regular slide rule with its leather holster around here someplace. Probably buried in a box in a closet along with one of these;

Not sure what brand mine is because I haven't handled it in probably 40 years. I still used it occasionally after pocket calculators came out but I was checking my calculations with a calculator so relegated it to a box in the closet. Now my do everything T.I. calculator has been made obsolete by smart phones. It's progress, I guess. Bob

• Options
    BrookwoodBrookwood Member, Moderator Posts: 13,413 ******
    edited January 2023

The young ones of today would just stare at a slide rule like they were looking at ancient Egyptian Hieroglyphics!

Most couldn't even figure out how to work a dial telephone.

• Options
    allen griggsallen griggs Member Posts: 35,259 ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2023

I did not attain the slide rule stage at Ga. Tech. I had 2 quarters of Algebra and Trig, and I don't think we were supposed to use a slide rule in that class, at least, I never used one.

After 2 long quarters, the Dean said that with my 1.7 GPA it was time to find a new school.

We had 4,300 freshman there in September of my freshman year and 2,500 of us were gone by June.

• Options
    Ditch-RunnerDitch-Runner Member Posts: 24,604 ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2023

I admit the only slide rule I have ever used was a Stanley 25 foot retractable sliding rule

• Options
    cbxjeffcbxjeff Member Posts: 17,442 ✭✭✭✭

Just don't say it out loud Frogdog.

It's too late for me, save yourself.
  • Options
    FrogdogFrogdog Member Posts: 2,791 ✭✭✭✭

Haha! Absolutely. That’s a trap for those young dumb husbands. 😁

• Options

Tread easy with the shoes and purses Don. Don't ask me how I know.

• Options

Been there and done that at WI Bobjudy. No calculators/laptops back in the '50's. Show one to my sons and they would think WTF is that?

• Options
    montanajoemontanajoe Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 58,062 ******

How 'bout lead and Okum for doing old plumbing pipes?

• Options
    jimdeerejimdeere Member, Moderator Posts: 25,700 ******
  • Options
    Butchdog2Butchdog2 Member Posts: 3,834 ✭✭✭✭

Folks today would try to smoke the okum.😮

• Options
    Toolman286Toolman286 Member Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭✭

Went looking for a dial indicator & this popped up.

• Options
    62vld204262vld2042 Member Posts: 995 ✭✭✭✭

As I type.......my Post VersaLog, bought in 1966, is about 10 feet away in a bookcase.

Yeah.........it's one of those "forever" items.

• Options
    BrookwoodBrookwood Member, Moderator Posts: 13,413 ******

The misfortunes of once knowing how to use such tools as slide rules and such are easily forgotten after long periods of time go by without using them. In other words.....If you don't use it, you lose it!

Same holds true for a lot of things. Like body parts and such! So to quote an old saying I heard a lot during the 60's;

"Keep a cool tool!"