In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Military Question.

2»

Comments

• Options
    KenK/84BravoKenK/84Bravo Member Posts: 12,055 ✭✭✭✭

@allen griggs, there is also a lot of talk that George Bush (Jr.) Did not show up for a majority of his "Reserve," duty. Special treatment, don't cha know. (?)

(His Dad, actually fought in a War and was shot down.)

Trump, also received 5 Draft deferments. (Like Cheney.) Funny how Cowards, become Hawks once in charge and their Butt's are not on the line. (Funny, NOT.)

Kudo's to all that Served. 👍

• Options
    fatcat458fatcat458 Member Posts: 386 ✭✭✭

lf Jimmy Cracker can pardon draft dodgers, Joe Biden can pardon Todd & Julie Chrisley😜

• Options
    Don McManusDon McManus Member Posts: 23,501 ✭✭✭✭

IIRC, Ken, this ‘story’ was a big part of the reason Dan Rather was let go.

Freedom and a submissive populace cannot co-exist.

Brad Steele
  • Options
    KenK/84BravoKenK/84Bravo Member Posts: 12,055 ✭✭✭✭

@Don McManus, not sure if you are saying I am wrong, Sir. If so, that may very well be the case. I remember reading a fair amount about it back in the day. (Not from Dan Rather.)

Who knows, the way things are spun?

• Options
    allen griggsallen griggs Member Posts: 35,267 ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2023

Reserves went to 'Nam. But compared to draftees, the percent of Reserves who went to the war was very low.

• Options
    BrookwoodBrookwood Member, Moderator Posts: 13,427 ******
    edited January 2023

I also have much disrespect for CANADA for taking in those draft dodgers with open arms!

• Options
    elubsmeelubsme Member Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭✭

Maybe, but I saw reservists come and go, then more came and went. Some came with rank made as a reservist. We had quite a few get out early because they didn't have enough time remaining to do another deployment which lasted for 9 months. I did two full terms, Chu Lai and DaNang - M.C.B. 10 Seabees. And then an additional year as a Permanent Shore Patrolman at Port Hueneme, Ca. to complete my four year active voluntary enlistment followed by two years inactive reserve. No regrets.

• Options
    Lady Rae Lady Rae Member Posts: 2,037 ✭✭✭✭

All though I have never served. My dear old Dad did. Once I was speaking on behalf of the VFW and the Native Sons member spoke on being a conscientious objector, I remember saying to myself liar. Growing up I knew all about the draft. I see the head stones. In fact one of the most beautiful views in Ferndale is at the top of the Ferndale Cemetery where Lyle Morris is buried. Or there's down by the gate where there's the empty grave of Tim Jocobsen MIA..... As far as I'm concerned you better have a good reason not to answer her call.

"Independence Now, Independence Forever."

John Adams

• Options
    discusdaddiscusdad Member Posts: 11,419 ✭✭✭✭

Allen, i think you have things confused. George the Elder Bush was a navy TBM Avenger pilot in WW2 off carriers. shot down on a mission bombing[2 crewmen lost] a radar station on Chi Chi Jima island. rescued by sub. his flying days ended after that.

George the 2nd was a fighter pilot [some say part time] with the Texas Air National Guard, never spent a day overseas or in combat anywhere.

• Options
    allen griggsallen griggs Member Posts: 35,267 ✭✭✭✭

discusdad, that is what I said, except, I did not mention the combat career of the elder George Bush:

"And the man he talked in to starting up the illegal Iraq War, George Bush, flew fighter jets during the Vietnam War. George flew over Mobile Alabama, he was in the Air Force Reserve. George never crossed the Pacific during the war, but he looked good in the uniform. Rich kids got in to the Army Reserve, or Air Force Reserve, knowing they would not be sent to the war.

George Bush the First's VP Dan Quayle was in the Army Reserve in Indiana during the Vietnam War."

• Options
    buddybbuddyb Member Posts: 5,256 ✭✭✭✭

If I remember correctly,when there was rumors of the first Gulf war,Dick Cheney,George W. Bush,Rush Limbaugh,and several others were hawks all for a war.Colin Powell was against going to war.Of all those people,General Powell was the only one that had ever been to war and shot at by the enemy.It usually changes ones outlook on war once you have been in a serious fire fight. I know that times will come when combat troops must be deployed and lets hope that the powers that be have plans to win and bring as many troops home as we sent.