In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Mouse/Rat gun

elubsmeelubsme Member Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭✭

It is better than nothing, a lot better, and makes a loud noise. I just love my N.A.A. revolver. I carry it in my pocket everywhere I go. It is very discreet. Heck I even carry at the gym! Practice is the key word to accuracy. The little fellow does kick, on the first cylinder full I pealed back a thumb nail. But, as a last ditch defense weapon, I highly recommend it. It does look awesome staring down the muzzle at poker table distances. It is not my first choice, but is a great back up to my regular carry or.....nothing at all. Check out the videos on yoo toob, you will be impressed.

Comments

• Options
    Ditch-RunnerDitch-Runner Member Posts: 24,609 ✭✭✭✭

Many yrs back in my ccw class a lot of new gun owners I think their was 25 maybe a few more inches class assorted experience the teachers were two Leo officers and a couple certified instructors at a indoor gun range

Any way one comment was made a 22 in the eye beats a 45 in the thie

they were telling all the new gun owners use what you are sure of and can shoot the best and not going big and not being able to handle it recoil and missing g your shots .

I use to carry a colt vest pocket 25 acp

It was small and underpowered but was easy to concel no matter what I was wearing .

I took it every where with me just like my pocket knife I put my paints on the colt went into a pocket

I would take along a 45 acp on some trips if out of town and later on retired the little colt i still have it going on 45 maybe 46 yrs now

Some years back I bought a xds 45 and also xds 9mm when they came out that are small easy to conceal I carry eather or most all the time

As you state a 22 may be small but has did its share of defending its owners

Any gun pointed at someone looks way bigger any way when your on the receiving end

If your comfortable with it and can shoot it well

Sounds like a good choice

• Options
    allen griggsallen griggs Member Posts: 35,260 ✭✭✭✭

State Trooper vs NAA mini. It was a fluke that he got hit beneath the vest, in his arm pit.

But as Mercutio said in Romeo and Juliet, having just been stabbed with one of those skinny little Italian swords, "Tis not as deep as a well, nor as wide as a church door, but it is enough..."

The South Carolina Highway Patrol has a proud tradition dating back to when the Highway Patrol was created in 1930. The Patrol is an organization with a rank structure similar to the armed forces. Since its inception, graduates of The Citadel, my alma mater, have honorably served as troopers in the South Carolina Highway Patrol. In the past 88 years, 19 troopers have been killed by gunfire.

On 20 November 1992, Trooper Mark Coates, a marine veteran and father of four, was shot and killed after stopping a car for weaving in traffic on I-95 near the Georgia state line. During the traffic stop, the driver, Richard Blackburn, began to struggle with Trooper Coates and both fell to the ground. Blackburn fired a .22 caliber handgun bullet into Trooper Coates' chest that was stopped by his vest. Trooper Coates was able to kick Blackburn off and returned fire, striking Blackburn five times with his .357 Revolver loaded with Winchester plus P cartridges.

Blackburn was shot in his left buttocks destroying his hip and later required a hip replacement. He was struck in the back of his right arm causing massive tissue damage. A metal rod was surgically implanted from his elbow to shoulder. Another bullet exited between his spine and left kidney. A fourth bullet went through his right arm exiting the left side of his chest and a fifth round penetrated his left shoulder and exited his right chest. As Trooper Coates moved to cover and radioed for backup, Blackburn, despite his devastating gunshot injuries, fired another shot. This second round struck Trooper Coates in the left armpit beneath his ballistic vest and travelled into his heart.

• Options
    Bubba Jr.Bubba Jr. Member Posts: 8,204 ✭✭✭✭

Dave did you happen to take that course in Celina at the Fish and Game club?

• Options

It was in Celina but I don't recall rhe name of the gun shop putting it on but I think it was a t the fish and game club

It was just a couple weeks after Ohio passed the law to have a ccw and getting in any class was almost impossible

But a coworkerand his dad knew one of the fellows maybe more , doing the class and ask me if I wanted to go . of course it was a no brainer

It was a three maybe four day ordeal

We went to some local gun shop at a indoor range to do the shooting part

Fun note

They spit us in two person groups to do the shooting part

The guy I was paired up with had a 22 of some variety and he shot first I stood behind him

Then my turn he had to stand behind me I took a colt 45 acp and of course it wss many times louder than his 22 and the muzzle blast was a lot more .

after I shot he was mad said it too loud and scaryi.lol. and if he knew I was shooting such a pistol he would have never let them pairhim up with me

I had only been to Celina a few times so rhe whole place was new to me and I met up and road with my buddy and his dad

Their last name is Wells I think his dad passed away several years ago he was good man and I enjoyed meeting him

• Options
    Rocky RaabRocky Raab Member Posts: 14,216 ✭✭✭✭

I keep a Jennings J-22 as my "wader" gun and have been known to carry it in a pocket to low-threat social gatherings. In the field, I keep a snake shot load in the chamber and then a full magazine of hollowpoints. It won't eject a snake load but I have carefully tuned the gun to cycle anything else reliably. From the factory, the extractor was too short to fully come over the case rim. I fixed that by honing a wee bit off the back side of the hook.

I have actually had to dispatch a snake with it. Those crimped .22LR shot loads are awful, but work if you're close enough. Then again, if you're far enough that they don't, a snake is no threat.

I may be a bit crazy - but I didn't drive myself.
  • Options
    hoosierhoosier Member Posts: 1,517 ✭✭✭✭

I drop a NAA 22 Magnum in my pocket on occasion. Figure its got a bit of umph comig out the front end at short range.

I had to put a bit bigger grip on it to hold on to the recoil.

When I'm out mowing or in the back yard, it's first shell up is Snake shot. We have a few water moccasins around.

Magazines, Gun Parts and More. US Army Veteran, VFW, NRA Patron
  • Options
    JimmyJackJimmyJack Member Posts: 5,401 ✭✭✭✭

Tell me where to buy snake shot? Got it listed on the auctions for $66 a box. Sober up!

• Options

Can't help with that. My supply is decades old.

• Options
    Ruger4meRuger4me Member, Moderator Posts: 3,385 ******

@JimmyJack try searching for just 22 bird shot or shell shot you should be able to find some cheaper, although still more than regular lead round nose.

• Options
    jimdeerejimdeere Member, Moderator Posts: 25,703 ******

Diamondback DB380 with polymer coated bullets. Not much bigger than a zippo lighter.

• Options
    buddybbuddyb Member Posts: 5,253 ✭✭✭✭

I've got 2 KelTec P-17s that function perfectly.They are a handy size and if 17 rounds of 22 LR don't work,you need to get the hell out of there anyway.

• Options

I had a Taurus tip-up barrel .22 I thought would be the cat's meow. It was more like something from the other end of the cat.

I had two Ruger Bearcats over the years and loved them. Great hiking gun, but not for concealed carry. Eventually sold both of them because I also have a convertible Single-Six that isn't much bigger and is a lot more versatile.

My smallest serious carry gun is a Hungarian PA-63 Makarov. Delightful gun with a sharper recoil than you'd expect. But for recoil, my original manufacture Charter Arms Bulldog .44 Special delivers at both ends.

• Options
    TfloggerTflogger Member Posts: 3,292 ✭✭✭

I carried a walther TPH for a while it was accurate and dependable. But it was a last resort and it was the early 1980s.

• Options
    Bubba Jr.Bubba Jr. Member Posts: 8,204 ✭✭✭✭

I have a Charter Arms .44 Special I keep in the tractor inside a holster bolted to the framework. I only had to use it twice since I put it in there about 6-7 years ago.

Joe

• Options
    pulsarncpulsarnc Member Posts: 6,272 ✭✭✭✭

My smallest gun would be a colt junior 25acp. Smallest serious carty would be a pa-63 9mm markarov. Have been known to carry a mauser hsc 380.

cry Havoc and let slip  the dogs of war..... 
  • Options
    hoosierhoosier Member Posts: 1,517 ✭✭✭✭

Yes I carry the NN 22 magnum some times. I do have a CZ=45 in 25 ACP too. But most days slip the Keltec 380 in my front pocket (holstered).

If I need to go up, its my new Dagger 9mm from Palmetto (Glock Clone).

My CZ-75 just got too heavy to carry. and the way I'm built its tough to carry any more.

Magazines, Gun Parts and More. US Army Veteran, VFW, NRA Patron
  • Options

I got my daughter a J-22 when she started riding her horse in the hills.

• Options

Maybe 15 + yrs ago I bought some jennings 22 lr pistols thru a ffl friend . He sold to me at dealer cost at that time just under 50.00 each and i gave away as Christmas presents to some family and inlaws that were always wanting a gun just in case so I thought it would be a good idea at least a comfort feeling for them

I tested them all with cci ammo they all worked fine no fauls or jams and gave each a box of cci ammo along with the gun

I told them it's not a weekend dump countless rounds thru it would take that much use but to just have to possible save your self or scare off a threat they would be fine

I still have one in the safe I test fired and put it away . I trust it but have other options that make better choices

I have yet to meet any one that would say it's just a 22 go ahead shoot me lol

• Options

As a paramedic, I worked 11 cases where the patient died from a single .22 LR shot to the torso.

• Options
    montanajoemontanajoe Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 58,065 ******

smallest we have is wife's LCP .380

• Options

When I started working construction around 1977 or so

One of the first fellows I worked with was a big fellow classic barrel chested, Not a huge guy but was above average

We were talking one day about guns and shooting and I said I had a 25 auto I carried

He said get a bigger gun lol

When he was a bit younger in a bar one night he told me a another fellow got into a fight with him then proceded to empty a 25 acp pistol into his chest

I am guessing he had a thick coat and the booze had himabit numb but I never ask .

He showed me the scars all in a small circle about 5 maybe 6 inches in diameter and said he was still able to beat down the guy who shot him as the crowd pulled them apart and the police arrived

That day made me rethink carrying the vest pocket colt 25 acp and I moved up the ladder in caliber asap

No matter if you miss any vital areas just remember the bad guy not like the movies may not want to just fall over dead. Lol

• Options
    waltermoewaltermoe Member Posts: 1,975 ✭✭✭✭

I remember reading where Jeff Cooper said, if it can down to having to use a 25 acp as his only choice, he would sooner use his fist.

• Options
    edited May 2023

I am seeing the .25 acp with 62 foot pounds of energy, and the .22 LR with 94 foot pounds. Fifty percent more power with the .22

Plus the .22 bullet is more slender. You are going to get much better penetration with the .22

ER docs, and Operating Room surgeons know the .22 LR to be a vicious man-killer.

• Options
    William81William81 Member Posts: 24,628 ✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2023

I carry an NAA Pug in .22 Mag as a back up when doing security at our church. Easy to conceal and with a decent enough set of sights to be useful.....

• Options

I can't comment on the feet poundages, but if I recall correctly, I chronoed loads from my Jennings and got no more than 700-800 fps with most ammo. CCI Stingers got a bit more, but weren't as reliable because they somehow disturbed the ejection cycle. The only expansion I got was from the original Winchester PowerPoints (the Aussie-made ones) I still have a few boxes of those in my bin. That's all from memory of decades ago, so take it as non-gospel.

• Options

Ahhh yes, Jeff Cooper!! He carried a .45 because Colt didn't make a .46! And then there was Elmer Keith shooting out houses at 500 yards with his .44. As for using my fist, turning the little NAA around butt first at a 90 degree angle makes a darn good knuckle duster. Besides I'm too old to fight ennymore.

• Options

So, is he still carrying around over 300 grains of lead or did he did 'em out with his Barlow knife hisself????

• Options
    mohawk600mohawk600 Member Posts: 5,376 ✭✭✭✭

LOL...........when I was a young pup in the military.........and just starting out buying guns, I bought one of those J-22 s brand new for $89. Long gone now.......but never had an FTF with that little pot metal piece.

• Options
    ruger41ruger41 Member Posts: 14,651 ✭✭✭✭

I don’t own a NAA mini but I have shot one. Neat little gun. Smallest gun I currently have is a first gen LCP.

• Options
    mike55mike55 Member Posts: 2,875 ✭✭✭✭

The 1st gen LCP has a LONG trigger pull and a sharp bite at the end! 😁

ANY reliable gun is better than no gun, or an unreliable gun.

FIL has toted a NAA 22 mag for years. At 10 yards or less, it is VERY deadly! Will it drop a bad guy in his tracks, prob not unless you get a high central nerve shot BUT most pistol calibers will NOT stop someone DRT without a high central nerve shot!

There is NO perfect gun, just make sure you have a reliable gun IF you ever need one!

• Options

The problem I had with my Jennings (which cost me $65) was that the extractor hook was JUST too short to come over the case rim. So it would fire and cycle as though it had no extractor at all, using residual gas pressure, but wouldn't extract a live round. I fixed that in a few minutes after removing the extractor hook.

Yes, here are issues carrying a striker-fired gun with a dubious safety, but as long as you know those issues, you're probably okay. I managed to find three spare magazines for mine and they're probably worth more than the gun is now -- each.

• Options

I guessing the hospital fished them out for him I did not ask a lot of questions but he did have several round holes where they went in

Just guessing I wager none of them went in to any thing vital .he was a lage guy so muscle and fat most likely stopped any major damage

It also reminded me of another guy I worked with about the same time

He had a huge scar the shape of a iron the one you iron with clothes with

He Came home drunk after a night out his wife was doing laundry and ironing clothes

He came in said how about a hug honey as he got close she stuck the iron on to his stomach .

it Hurt just looking at the scar .

• Options
    GrasshopperGrasshopper Member Posts: 16,760 ✭✭✭✭

The 22 lr is the most lethal and most used caliber when it comes to statistics. Have seen dozens of people coming in the ER when I was employed dead with the 22 caliber.

• Options

I seem to recall yrs ago it was said the 22 was the most popular caliber pistol to "off "some one with in the mob and Gangs

But as they are getting head shot i will guess and not returning fire the posibility a misfire or dud the bigest reason for not using one in self defense

in such a seting it will not effect the out come just delay it