In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Doest 2A Protect Ordnance (part 2)

Mr. PerfectMr. Perfect Member, Moderator Posts: 66,336 ******

For reference, Part 1 is here:

Comments added to that old thread are welcome.

On reflecting on this topic more, recently, I recall a couple of things said there that have shaped my opinion on the topic significantly in recent days.

1) Surely the framers could have mentioned either or both, but they chose "arms". It could be argued that in choosing "arms" they meant to encompass both, but we have to look to external sources to glean that. (said by me)

2) A militia is generally an army or some other fighting organization... If expected to preform as a military unit, what "arms" do the military use? (said by @pickenup )

I want to address #1 first. We do not, in fact, need to look to external sources as I had postulated. Amendment 9 is all we need. "The enumeration in the Constitution, of certain rights, shall not be construed to deny or disparage others retained by the people."

We can't lose focus on the fact the founders were acknowledging certain preexisting rights, and enumerated a short list of those they felt were a) vulnerable and b) of utmost importance to protect. The fact they COULD have listed "keeping and bearing ordnance" as a protected right (even as a part of the 2nd amendment), but didn't shouldn't be any indication they didn't think there was no right to it. And in light of point 2 above, we can easily discern the founders not only envisioned the citizens keeping and bearing ordnance, they would have preferred it. Certainly they would want the citizen army to be capable of defending foreign invaders, even if ultimately they really didn't want any sort of uprising (insurrection?) they couldn't squelch. Would any of them been upset if a citizen had brought a tank from his personal arsenal to the battle? That's really hard to envision.

Some will die in hot pursuit
And fiery auto crashes
While sifting through my ashes
Some will fall in love with life
And drink it from a fountain
That is pouring like an avalanche
Coming down the mountain

Comments

• Options
    Kevin_LKevin_L Member Posts: 1,578 ✭✭✭✭

A really good thread, Mr P. It got me thinking and doing a bit of research.

I ran across this little nugget that takes each part of the second amendment and addresses it in the terms and mindsets used by the writers of the Constitution. (you're gonna be dumbfounded by the source!)

I think it's clear that militias were armed with whatever they could get hold of to defend their area, town, city against threats to liberty. If they had AR15s and flamethrowers back in the day, they would have been expected to use them. No holds barred, eliminate the threat with overwhelming force.

The definition of what was a militia is key: a local group of people, with a captain, responsible for defense of the area. Today, police forces have the literal big guns, the ordnance, and other "peacekeeping" machinery . The common populace does not. Have we given away the "militia" responsibility to police forces?

"...the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed." 🍺 🇺🇲 🍔

• Options
    Mr. PerfectMr. Perfect Member, Moderator Posts: 66,336 ******

I've had a copy of that PDF for a while. It's decent.

And fiery auto crashes
    While sifting through my ashes
    Some will fall in love with life
    And drink it from a fountain
    That is pouring like an avalanche
    Coming down the mountain