In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

New Gun Broker Message Center launching April 1st...no more emails for buyers/sellers

Locust ForkLocust Fork Member Posts: 31,687 ✭✭✭✭

I don't know if launching this thing on April Fools day is going to cause people to think they are being messed with....but the plan is to have a new message center that handles all correspondence between the buyers and sellers. It will send you an email letting you know you have a message, but you will have to go to your GB to see the messages. Im guessing it will be like the message area here on the forums.....which I'm terrible at checking.

I don't know how this helps things. I've got a few small ideas I'd like to see happen, but messages coming through emails never seemed to be problematic to me.

I wish they had a notes area on the blocked bidder area....I get a message asking if I can unblock someone so they can bid on an item from time to time. If I blocked you I'm sure there was a reason, but I cannot remember over a year ago why?

I also wish they would let you upload at least 30-40 pictures at one time. The ten picture upload is SO frustrating.

There are a few other silly things. Putting multiple calibers in one listing would be nice.

LOCUST FORK CURRENT AUCTIONS: https://www.gunbroker.com/All/search?Sort=13&IncludeSellers=618902&PageSize=48 Listings added every Thursday! We do consignments, contact us at mckaygunsales@gmail.com

Comments

• Options
    chiefrchiefr Member Posts: 13,800 ✭✭✭✭
    edited March 28

Same here. I dont like the idea at all.

I like getting emails direct from sellers/buyers I can read & interpret instantly, why should I have be told to go to a message center to read something I could have read in the first email. Sounds like a bad idea unless I am missing something.

• Options
    Kevin_LKevin_L Member Posts: 1,581 ✭✭✭✭
    edited March 28

Easy. It drives traffic to GB and the more traffic, the more opportunities to sell something.

I like the idea of "all info in one place". Now if they could implement some of @Locust Fork 's ideas into the mix, the GB system would be the envy of e-commerce.

"...the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed." 🍺 🇺🇲 🍔

• Options
    montanajoemontanajoe Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 58,041 ******
    edited March 28

Yep. I believe @shootuadeal nailed it

• Options

All of that makes sense. It drives me nutty when I see someone doing sales that are obviously leading to off site sales. If everyone did that this site wouldn't last long.

LOCUST FORK CURRENT AUCTIONS: https://www.gunbroker.com/All/search?Sort=13&IncludeSellers=618902&PageSize=48 Listings added every Thursday! We do consignments, contact us at mckaygunsales@gmail.com
  • Options
    Horse Plains DrifterHorse Plains Drifter Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 39,391 ***** Forums Admin
  • Options
    Lady Rae Lady Rae Member Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭✭

On eBay they say the message may be read by eBay so you can't sell outside of them... That must be what GunBroker is doing.

"Independence Now, Independence Forever."

John Adams

• Options

So far I only have one complaint about the message center. Typically when someone wins an auction they know you can get the information to mail payment from their order. There are a SHOCKING number of people that email over a question……who do I make payment to and what is your address? That is the number one frustrating email that I deal with. This tells me they also, most likely, do not know their total will have added fees in it. So, I've always replied to that message with a copy of their invoice.

Now, with the message center, I cannot do that. I have been telling people this morning and yesterday to check their invoice for their payment information. It makes me look like I don't want to answer them and I'm being kind of a jerk….but its really that we have 100 auctions ending and I can't send that mess over to every buyer at the end of each sale.

• Options
    mmppresmmppres Member Posts: 3,050 ✭✭✭

i for one understand that there is alot of people wanting to buy off line. But I can not answer the question from my computer. I have a very old one.lolol. I have to use my tablet to read an answer the questions.

• Options
    MikeFinkMikeFink Member Posts: 41

For Heaven's sake, get a new computer. You will find a dearth of new product ads that I know you will want to go right out and buy. Right now, you are missing those 45 cents a tablet enhancement pills and some new skin cream to take the wrinkles out of your laugh lines. Sorry…..had to try and help out. (So you can "suffer" also).

• Options
    nunnnunn Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 36,013 ******

I didn't know anything about the message system until I got such a message.

I wasn't crazy about it, but if it's the way GB wants it, I reckon we'll have to accept it. It just means having to go and hunt for it rather than have it just show up in your email inbox.

• Options
    drbeckerdrbecker Member Posts: 7 ✭✭

It basically doubles my workload on answering questions. I see no advantage to it. I already do not have enough time to post all the auctions I would like to so this just means even fewer will get posted.

• Options
    Lucky4597 Lucky4597 Member Posts: 232 ✭✭✭
    edited April 4

It may be coincidental - but i had the shortcut on my home screen which basically allowed me to be logged in and remembered all the time. It started taking forever to load. I deleted that shortcut and logged in again through the front door and reinstalled it. Now whenever I open it there is a new verify button as pictured and then you get let in.

• Options
    bambihunterbambihunter Member Posts: 10,685 ✭✭✭

Along with Locust's suggestions, they need a "blocked sellers" option which will remove that seller from notifications and search results. I like rare and unusual stuff and one seller seems to have those items in their listing title in spite of the fact that the gun is NOT a Korth or a Bren Ten (the latter two are in my search notification parameters under different headings)

Fanatic collector of the 10mm auto.