Does your uniform still fit?

woodshermitwoodshermit Member Posts: 2,589
edited December 2006 in US Military Veteran Forum
I still have a set of "dress blues". I think I'm about 50 lbs heavier than I was in 1970.

Comments

• bobskibobski Member Posts: 17,868 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    no....way!
    from the 70's that is.
    but i can still get in my uniform from 97 when i retired though!
    Retired Naval Aviation
    Former Member U.S. Navy Shooting Team
    Former NSSA All American
    Navy Distinguished Pistol Shot
    MO, CT, VA.
  • 41 nut41 nut Member Posts: 3,016
    edited November -1
    Yes it does. I'm the same weight as I was when I joined the Army in 1967. [:)] Have never been able to gain any weight even when I try.
  • DancesWithSheepDancesWithSheep Member Posts: 13,043
    edited November -1
    When I came back from Vietnam for discharge in 1968, I weighed 145 pounds. Since then, I have put on fifty-two pounds of rock solid muscle.[;)]
  • dheffleydheffley Member Posts: 25,000
    edited November -1
    I used to say thet I could still wear two items of my blues. The hat, and the socks. Found out about 15 years ago, even the hat no longer fits.[V]
  • 101AIRBORNE101AIRBORNE Member Posts: 1,262 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I came back to the world weighing 150 lbs.
    Since then I have added 10 or 40 lbs.
    Not a fighting chance.
  • DustyDecoyDustyDecoy Member Posts: 2 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I can still get into the uniform that I retired in in '91 but I had to sew the buttons on with piano wire. If they ever give, someones gonna die. I weigh just a bit more than I did in 1969 but Then I was 9 feet tall and bullet proof, Ive just schrunk a bit
  • chunkstylechunkstyle Member Posts: 2,463 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The covers still fit, nothing else. The blues were donated to the MCA, but I still have a fatigue OD cover.
  • Tiger6Tiger6 Member Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Not on a bet! [:(!]
  • BT3BT3 Member Posts: 1,913 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Not quite ! [8D]
  • Grunt2Grunt2 Member Posts: 1,593 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Like DWS....What he ment was rock solid "Table Muscle"...
    I doubt I could get a leg in...
    Retired LEO
    Combat Vet VN
  • us55840us55840 Member Posts: 31,645 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I got out in 1968 .... and very sadly ....the uniform SHRUNK while hanging in the closet! [;)]
    "This country, with its institutions, belongs to the people who inhabit it. Whenever they shall grow weary of the existing government, they can exercise their constitutional right of amending it, or exercise their revolutionary right to overthrow it." Abraham Lincoln
  • gap1916gap1916 Member Posts: 4,977
    edited November -1
    Lets see, Hummmm 17, 18, 19, 20 years of age? 52? Nope [8D]
  • woodshermitwoodshermit Member Posts: 2,589
    edited November -1
    Probably the most honest responses to a post on GunBroker that I have ever read.[;)]
  • sandwarriorsandwarrior Member Posts: 5,599
    edited November -1
    Not with 70 lbs more body size... LOL. I can't get the arms down the sleeves even. Even when swimming a mile a day I had no chance of doing it(got down to 225). I was 175 getting out and 245 now.
  • codenamepaulcodenamepaul Member Posts: 2,931
    edited November -1
    Because I am a Marine my uniform will always fit, I wear it on my heart and in my soul.

Whether or not the garment in my possession will cover all of my body is a whole other story...
  • HAIRYHAIRY Member Posts: 23,606
    edited November -1
    quote: I got out in 1968 .... and very sadly ....the uniform SHRUNK while hanging in the closet! Same thing happened at my place. Darn shame, too.
  • codenamepaulcodenamepaul Member Posts: 2,931
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by HAIRY
    quote: I got out in 1968 .... and very sadly ....the uniform SHRUNK while hanging in the closet! Same thing happened at my place. Darn shame, too.

Funny how that occurs-my post still applies nontheless
  • br549br549 Member Posts: 1,024 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    not a chance while in country i weighed less than i did in the 8th. grade. since i came back to the world i growed some.
  • divecopdivecop Member Posts: 778 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Since my waist size and chest sized changed places over the years
    there's no way I could get in a set of uniforms. still wear a size
    9 boot though.
  • OklahomaboundOklahomabound Member Posts: 829 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'm with divecop, boots still fit..... the rest....ain't no way.
  • HokkmikeHokkmike Member Posts: 577 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    No, but it will. I am workinhg HARD at losing the weight!
  • alaska 207alaska 207 Member Posts: 16 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Actually yes it does. Went in 1968 out in 1977. The trousers are a little snug but my Blues Blouse fits just like a glove. Being able to fit in those trousers has been my Neutra System for 29 years, and if they would let me I would be buried in Blues.
  • jocko007jocko007 Member Posts: 81 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I can't even begin to get into my greens. My leg won't fit in the waist band. When I went into the Marine Corps in 1969, I had just graduated from High School. I stood 5' 8" and weighed about 130 pounds. I was discharged shortly after returning home from VietNam in 1973, and was about 10 lbs lighter than when I went across the pond. God I wish I could get into my old uniform. That just ain't happening.
  • 11b6r11b6r Member Posts: 16,725
    edited November -1
    Hey- my dogtags still fit perfectly!!!
  • sunvalesunvale Member Posts: 6 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    My mess dress and blues were worn by me to both of my daughters commissioning. I do not smoke any longer, drink a little less and work out. Fellows, we are dying at 1000+ a day and I try not to be one of them. Do your self a favor and take care of your self.
    Peter
    Nam 67-68-69
  • saltysquidsaltysquid Member Posts: 10 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Not even Remotely.:)
  • Hawkeye256Hawkeye256 Member Posts: 4 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    New to the forum and "welcome home" to all of you...I plan to wear my dress blues next weekend to honor a lifelong friend's retirement from active duty and the Guard. He's built 37 years. I managed 3yrs, 11 mo, 12 days.
  • MobuckMobuck Member Posts: 11,566 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Yes, from top to bottom. 1970 to 2006 and still wear same size.
  • dheffleydheffley Member Posts: 25,000
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Hawkeye256
    New to the forum and "welcome home" to all of you...I plan to wear my dress blues next weekend to honor a lifelong friend's retirement from active duty and the Guard. He's built 37 years. I managed 3yrs, 11 mo, 12 days.

Welcome Hawkeye256! Glad to have you aboard![;)]
  • sirgknightsirgknight Member Posts: 109 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    After serving two tours of duty in Nam and having survived two major tet offenses I returned to the states and got discharged. I loaded my car with all of my belongings including my uniforms and a lot of "precious" artifacts and parked at my girl friend's apartment to leave from Ohio back to Georgia the next morning. During the night my car was broken into by a carload of - I'll just call them "juveniles"; anyway, everything that I owned in the world was stolen from me. I still have a very bitter taste in my mouth. It would be nice to see those uniforms to remind me how thin and in-shape I was back then. 5' 8", 130 lbs (1967) vs. 5' 10", 315 lbs (2006).
  • e3mrke3mrk Member Posts: 1,851 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I can still get my socks on.
  • A J ChristA J Christ Member Posts: 7,534
    edited November -1
    Boots still fit fine.
  • joseph konkoljoseph konkol Member Posts: 1 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    My tie still fits.