Comments

• dpmuledpmule Member Posts: 5,862 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    edited November -1
    That's all I have to say.
    edited November -1
    Thank you. Thank you for our way of life. Thank you for sacrificing your innocence for us. Thank you for enduring many ungrateful countrymen who were and are ingnorant enough not to realize that without you they would not be able to express their stupidity. Thanks to your families as well. May you have peace and happiness all the rest of your days.
    edited November -1
    I am a father and uncle of recent Iraq veterans and new here.I just want to say thanks to all of you for your service and sacrifice.I was an Army helicopter crewchief back in the 70s and have recently retired after working at Ft.Rucker as a helicopter mechanic for many years.May your Higher Power bless you and yours on this Veterans Day.
    edited November -1
    I'm VERY happy to see this. Thanks and myself and my family thank you.
    We are all very grateful and proud of all of you.
    Ed
    edited November -1
    I'm not a veteran, but I appreciate and respect all veterans for your service. I just wanted to thank you for what you've gone through for our country. God Bless.
  • us55840us55840 Member Posts: 31,304 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    WHAT IS A VETERAN?
    Father Dennis Edward O'Brien, USMC wrote this article

Some Veterans bear visible signs of their service: a missing limb, a jagged scar, a certain look in the eye.
    Others may carry the evidence inside them: a pin holding a bone together, a piece of shrapnel in the leg, or perhaps another sort of inner-steel: the soul's ally forged in the refinery of adversity.
    Except in parades, however, the men and women who have kept America safe wear no badge or emblem.
    You can't tell a vet just by looking.
    Who is a vet?
    He is a cop on the beat who spent six months in Saudi Arabia sweating two gallons a day making sure the armored personnel carriers didn't run out of fuel.
    He is the barroom loudmouth, dumber than five wooden planks, whose overgrown frat-boy behavior is outweighed a hundred times in the cosmic scales by four hours of exquisite bravery near the 38th parallel.
    She-or-he is the nurse who fought against futility and went to sleep sobbing every night for two solid years in Da Nang.
    He is the POW that went away one person and came back another -- or didn't come back at all.
    He is the Quantico drill instructor who has never seen combat, but has saved countless lives by turning slouchy, no-account red necks and gang members into Marines, and teaching them to watch each other's backs.
    He is the parade, a riding Legionnaire who pins on his ribbons and medals with a prosthetic hand.
    He is the career quartermaster who watches the ribbons and medals pass him by.
    He is the three anonymous heroes in the Tomb Of The Unknowns, whose presence at the Arlington National Cemetery must forever preserve the memory of all the anonymous heroes whose valor dies unrecognized with them on the battlefield or in the ocean's sunless deep.
    He is the old guy bagging groceries at the supermarket -- palsied now and aggravatingly slow -- who helped liberate a Nazi death camp who wishes all day long that his wife were still alive to hold him when the nightmares come.
    He is an ordinary and yet an extraordinary human being -- a person who offered some of his life's most vital years in the service of his country, and who sacrificed his ambitions so that others would not have to sacrifice theirs.
    He is a soldier and a savior and a sword against the darkness, and he is nothing more than the finest, greatest testimony on behalf of the finest, greatest nation ever known.
    So remember, each time you see someone who has served our country, just lean over and say, "Thank you." That's all most people need, and in most cases it will mean more than any medals they could have been awarded or were awarded.
    Two little words that mean a lot, "Thank you." Remember, Nov. 11 is Veterans Day.
    "It is the soldier, not the reporter, who has given us freedom of the press.
    It is the soldier, not the poet, who has given us freedom of speech.
    It is the soldier, not the campus organizer, who has given us freedom to demonstrate.
    It is the soldier, who salutes the flag, who serves beneath the flag, and whose coffin is draped by the flag, who allows the protester to burn the flag."

THE PRICE OF PEACE AND FREEDOM: SOME THOUGHTS

PEACE The mere absence of war is not peace. John F. Kennedy

PEACE Peace, like war, can succeed only where there is available power to enforce it. Franklin D. Roosevelt

PEACE Arms alone are not enough to keep the peace. It must be kept by men. John F. Kennedy

PEACE No one can have peace longer than his neighbor pleases. Dutch Proverb

LIBERTY Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it. Thomas Paine

LIBERTY It is a worthy thing to fight for one's freedom; it is another sight finer to fight for another man's. Mark Twain

PATRIOTISM Patriotism is not a short and frenzied outburst of emotion but the tranquil and steady dedication of a lifetime. Adlai Stevenson

PATRIOTISM My kind of loyalty was loyalty to one's country, not to its institutions or its officeholders. Mark Twain

PATRIOTISM He who loves not his home and country which he has seen, how shall he love humanity in general which he has not seen? William Ralph Inge

PATRIOTISM The things that the flag stands for were created by the experiences of a great people. Everything that it stands for was written by their lives. The flag is the embodiment, not of sentiment, but of history. Woodrow Wilson

THE MILITARY The soldier, above all other people prays for peace, for he must suffer and bear the deepest wounds and scars of war. Douglas MacArthur

THE MILITARY A soldier's life is only glorious in times of peace. Then he can wear his good clothes with the gold lace on them, and strut in scarlet and blue through the streets. Finley Peters Dunn

WAR The most shocking fact about war is that its victims and its instruments are individual human beings, and that these individual beings are condemned by the monstrous conventions of politics to murder or be murdered in quarrels not their own. Aldous Huxley

WAR Youth is the first victim of war; the first fruit of peace. It takes twenty years or more of peace to make a man; it takes only twenty seconds of war to destroy him. Bandouin of Belgium

SUFFERING God will not look you over for medals, degrees or diplomas, but for scars! Elbert Hubbard

RANK A man's name, title, and rank are artificial and impermanent; they do nothing to reveal what he really is, even to himself. Jean Giraudoux

RANK The good Lord sees your heart, not the braid on your jacket, before Him we are all in our birthday suits, generals and common men alike. Thomas Mann

SACRIFICE Only he can understand what a farm is, what a country is, who shall have sacrificed part of himself to his farm or country. Saint Exupery

NATION A nation reveal itself not only by the men it produces but also by the men it honors,
    the men it remembers. John F. Kenne
    "This country, with its institutions, belongs to the people who inhabit it. Whenever they shall grow weary of the existing government, they can exercise their constitutional right of amending it, or exercise their revolutionary right to overthrow it." Abraham Lincoln