In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Victim of the NRA.............................

2»

Comments

• Jim RauJim Rau Member Posts: 3,550
    edited November -1
    Hb, I think you are highjacking this thread, now stop that right now![}:)]
  • Marc1301Marc1301 Member Posts: 31,897 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Jim Rau
    Hb, I think you are highjacking this thread, now stop that right now![}:)]

He has my permission to hijack it,........if that matters.
    "Beam me up Scotty, there's no intelligent life down here." - William Shatner
    edited November -1
    Ok, with your permission![;)]
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Jim Rau
    Ok, with your permission![;)]

Jim,.........I am not being a wiseacre, just that I have posted all that I can for the time being.

It matters not to me where this heads going forward.[;)]
    edited November -1
    I am not either. It's hard to tell the intent of the poster when you can't hear their 'voice' or 'see' his/her face. That is why many of these posts are taken wrong, and the SHTF.
    When I use the [;)] it means, 'take it lightly please'.[:)]
  • jpwolfjpwolf Member Posts: 9,164
    edited November -1
    Marc, ask yourself this question....do you really need them and their range.
  • trapguy2007trapguy2007 Member Posts: 8,959
    edited November -1
    Marc;
    Definitely do things above board.
    Nobody will be able to point fingers later .
  • n/an/a Member Posts: 168,427
    edited November -1
    Marc, the ONLY way I would continue membership is IF EVERYONE knew I was no longer a member of the NRA and the treasurer OK'd it.

Those guys took a stand, just like you did. They would be rather disappointed if they thought otherwise, wouldn't they?
    edited November -1
    Live is all about decissions. Marc, do what you feel is best, and live with what ever you decide![;)]
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by freemind
    Marc, the ONLY way I would continue membership is IF EVERYONE knew I was no longer a member of the NRA and the treasurer OK'd it.

Those guys took a stand, just like you did. They would be rather disappointed if they thought otherwise, wouldn't they?
    Freemind,.....I am a bit confused by the above?

Are you referring to the board members that demand NRA membership, and me sneaking through because of the Treasurer?
    OR,........are you talking about the handful of other members that have the same issue as I do?

If that is what you are talking about,.......there is only one, as I mentioned above that has taken it as far as I have.
    I am quite certain the rest will simply "go along", and buy their memberships to the NRA.

For now, I am simply waiting to see if I get any responses from the other board members that I mailed.

It would be pretty difficult for me to make it known to the entire membership that I was no longer NRA, as I only really "know" about a dozen folks there, and most of the membership rarely shoot. I can't figure out why they are members.

It's not like we wear our NRA card with our club badge.
    If I renew it will be very clear to any that ask that I am no longer an NRA member,........I don't know what else to do, except to wear a sign on my back saying so. The folks shooting don't give a damn per se, and it doesn't come up in conversation.

I started this whole thing with the club, by writing the president of the range, and telling him that I would not be renewing my membership in the NRA, and asking how that would affect me. His response was what started this thread. At this point, I bet if I had not said anything, they would never have even checked my NRA membership next year, but I wanted to be honest, and wrote the letter.

I believe the best thing to do, is to wait for a response, and if I get none from the others, I will write the pres. again, and inform him of what I have found out, in terms of 50% being required due to their insurance. At that point I can say simply, "do you want me to renew,......or not?", and making it clear that I will not lie if asked by anyone.

Even if the president approves the deal, and also allows the others to not renew, it's not like we can walk around with "NRA Sucks" T-shirts on,.......that won't fly.

It really is becoming even less of a big thing for me, as today I ran into my GC friend Al, and he told me I can shoot out there anytime I want to, as long as it is not after dark,......duh,....he has no lights out there![:D]
    His "range" is a long ways from his house, and there is a back entrance gate to his property that he would give me a key to. We have known each other for around 12 years. Plus it's free, AND I can shoot my AR, and AK out there instead of going to the national forest range, which is a circus.

When this is resolved,......I will post what the final results were.
    edited November -1
    Good luck in your quest![:)]
  • tr foxtr fox Member Posts: 13,856
    edited November -1
    Without the building planning help and legal help from the NRA, few of the private gun ranges that exist would not exist. Or continue to exist. The gun ranges MUST have insurance. Otherwise, if somebody gets hurt, you as member could be named in a lawsuit. Don't believe me? Check with a knowledgeable lawyer. Believe me, most people are tight, so if the range officers could find cheaper insurance somewhere other than the NRA they would jump on it.

Course, the NRA is not good enough for some here or never does anything "quite" right; at least for them.
    edited November -1
    They should stick to being an insurance company, not pretending they defend my RKBA while writing legislation to the contrary. Good thing the black robes didn't decide properly in "Heller". The NRA would have been out of business, except for insurance that is.
  • sunajsunaj Member Posts: 35 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Here Here Sir,
    I think it is outrageous a range is blackmailing you to join the NRA, I am also an NRA member, and I applaud your decision.
    I have quit one range in my location for other reasons, it does seem to me that some ranges are very controlling of their members, which strikes me as strange, as gunners are a rather obstinate and independent sort. I have simply made my own range in the mountains, which has served me even better and without restrictions.
    Speaking of the NRA, one concern I am presently investigating, is the connection to the GOP. I am a Libertarian and while I appreciate the support of gunners in the GOP there are substantial issues I cannot accept in the Republican Party, looking at the ads in the NRA they look like they come straight out of the GOP. I want my gun organization to do everything they can to safeguard 2nd amendment rights, and that means getting in bed with Republicans, Democraps and whatever other demonic forces (: are out there to secure gun rights, but I also do not want my support of the NRA to directly support any particular party.
  • Don McManusDon McManus Member Posts: 23,460 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by jpwolf
    They should stick to being an insurance company, not pretending they defend my RKBA while writing legislation to the contrary. Good thing the black robes didn't decide properly in "Heller". The NRA would have been out of business, except for insurance that is.

That is exactly the point, jp. The NRA does certain things well, including the advancement of the shooting sports through training, ranges, and even legislation.

The NRA fails as the standard bearer for the protection of the 2nd Amendment primarily because the organization is in bed with the politicians from whom the 2nd is designed to protect us. A cynical statement, yes it is. The only other option is that they simply cannot grasp the meaning of the terms 'Free State' or 'Right'.
    Freedom and a submissive populace cannot co-exist.

Brad Steele
    edited November -1
    Since this is active again, I will add the latest info,.........which is pretty much the final deal.

I got an e-mail from the President several days ago. The jist of it was they wanted me to renew, and that I need not be an NRA member.
    He had read my letter, and said that it was fine to make it known to the folks that I associate with out there, and they are allowing the several other "revolutionaries" out of the membership requirement also.
    He said if I was to do anything crazy like put up items on the Bulletin board, or wear any "anti NRA" apparel, that I would be asked to leave.

They are going to consider doing what some of the other posters have said, and have a membership that is non-NRA, and it would be say $125.00 / year instead of $100.00,.........he feels they will continue to stay considerably above the required 50% of membership.

BTW,........I received no other communications from any of the other letters sent![:0]
    Guess it's ok, as I ended up hearing from the top guy.

So anyway,......I am set to renew on 1/1/2009, with no NRA membership, and I don't have to attempt to hide the fact.
    The interesting fact will take place when the next club meeting takes place in December. They are going to bring this up, so all of the lifetime NRA members, will find out about the change in policy.
    Ought to be interesting, and yes, I will be there. I figure to get some dirty looks and some preaching to afterwards.[:D]

Fortunately I am not the type that really cares much,.......actually it will give me an opportunity to get on my "pulpit" per se!
  • n/an/a Member Posts: 168,427
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Marc1301
    Since this is active again, I will add the latest info,.........which is pretty much the final deal.

I got an e-mail from the President several days ago. The jist of it was they wanted me to renew, and that I need not be an NRA member.
    He had read my letter, and said that it was fine to make it known to the folks that I associate with out there, and they are allowing the several other "revolutionaries" out of the membership requirement also.
    He said if I was to do anything crazy like put up items on the Bulletin board, or wear any "anti NRA" apparel, that I would be asked to leave.

They are going to consider doing what some of the other posters have said, and have a membership that is non-NRA, and it would be say $125.00 / year instead of $100.00,.........he feels they will continue to stay considerably above the required 50% of membership.

BTW,........I received no other communications from any of the other letters sent![:0]
    Guess it's ok, as I ended up hearing from the top guy.

So anyway,......I am set to renew on 1/1/2009, with no NRA membership, and I don't have to attempt to hide the fact.
    The interesting fact will take place when the next club meeting takes place in December. They are going to bring this up, so all of the lifetime NRA members, will find out about the change in policy.
    Ought to be interesting, and yes, I will be there. I figure to get some dirty looks and some preaching to afterwards.[:D]

Fortunately I am not the type that really cares much,.......actually it will give me an opportunity to get on my "pulpit" per se!

Great news Marc. Even better, they are comfortable with you not hiding the fact of not having a NRA membership.

This give you the chance to speak to others. Unfortunately, some will be as bone headed as TR.
    edited November -1
    All of the old-timers will keep doing exactly what they do.
    Most are "lifers", and a few of them won't even speak to me as it is, because of some of the things they have overheard me say.

Those types,.......no one is going to change their minds anyway.
    One old fellow I got into a conversation with over a year ago, was trying his best to get around my points of "compromising."

He finally gave up, and basically admitted what I was specifically saying was true.
    Guess where he went, and finished with before walking away in a huff?

"Well,.....they may compromise with the politicians, but you wouldn't even be able to own those guns of yours without the NRA."

Typical.[xx(]
    edited November -1
    quote:but you wouldn't even be able to own those guns of yours without the NRA."

It amazes me that people think the "right" can be taken. It can only be "given" willingly by those too limp wristed to stand up and say NO!
  • Hunter MagHunter Mag Member Posts: 6,611 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Way to go Marc!! You stood up for what is right and are welly respected for it.

That's a plus in my book. Our fore fathers would be proud.[;)]
  • tr foxtr fox Member Posts: 13,856
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Hunter Mag

Yeah, if only 100% of his clubs members would do the same thing. No, wait a minute. Then there would be no NRA insurance and therefore no range.

Sorry, never mind.
  • Hunter MagHunter Mag Member Posts: 6,611 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by tr fox
    quote:Originally posted by Hunter Mag

Yeah, if only 100% of his clubs members would do the same thing. No, wait a minute. Then there would be no NRA insurance and therefore no range.

Sorry, never mind.

There you go plea barganing again TR.
    edited November -1
    TR,.......I knew you would eventually have to say something!

If the NRA wishes to provide range insurance, then let them operate as such. I can guarantee you that they are not losing money in the process.

If they want to run a shakedown racket, to up membership, then bring it out in the open. Make it 100% required, and I will simply leave.
    I believe I made it clear in my first post, that my expectations were not being a member after the first of the year.

I proceeded with this in the proper, and upfront way,......sorry that I had a measure of success! Seems like you are a bit sad?[:0]

Don't worry,......I will be berated by the old "lifers" at the December meeting, and you can take pleasure in that.
    Problem is,.......I have a big mouth, and am not afraid to use it.
    Nor do I much care what ones opinion is of me.

I could care less that the NRA is taking their money for insurance,........that is a service. Forcing people that do not believe in their actions in compromise to be members, is a "shakedown", plain and simple. Provide insurance if they wish, or get out of that side of the game.