In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

My latest encounters with "THE LAW"

nyforesternyforester Member Posts: 2,575 ✭✭✭
I own some land in the foothills of the Adirondack Mountains of Upstate New York. I have been feeding the wildlife all summer. I guess it is "against the law" in NY to feed deer. Well, I was visited by 2 environmental law officers (ECO's) last Sunday. I believe they were tipped off because it is a very remote parcel of land. They gave me a citation for feeding "the deer". I tried to explain that I was feeding wildlife ! I was fairly calm and am very surprised that I did not blow up as I would have in my youth. I probably would have been hauled away with arm and leg irons 20 years ago ! They made me unload the side arm I was carrying, and also went through my vehicle and found the other arms in my possession. We truly are not free anymore. The government would like to control everything including even where you relieve yourself ! These 2 officers were back in the woods over ? mile on a Sunday evening to write me a ticket ! They were so brain washed by the government that they could not even be reasoned with. They would not even listen to my side. They were robots ! I am awaiting my court date and will explain my case to the judge. I am sure it will get me no where ![:(!]

After hunting this evening (exactly one week later) at another location there was another ECO waiting by my vehicle to harass me once again. He went through everything in my vehicle also ! No tickets this time ! I have been hunting for 30 years and have never had an experience like this before. I have never even been approached by the law while hunting or fishing. Times are changing fast ! Government is tightening its grip ![V]
Abort Cuomo

Comments

• Options
    n/an/a Member Posts: 168,427
    edited November -1
    quote:Times are changing fast ! Government is tightening its grip !

Yep, forester, they are. Troubling that so few seem to recognize this fact though.

Sarcasm on..........How dare you break such a fine malum prohibitum law and to do so while carrying a gun no less!!! Heavens, what is America coming to where people go around with GUNS.

Why would you think that you are free to use your own property as you see fit, let alone public property?[:0]
  • Options
    n/an/a Member Posts: 168,427
    edited November -1
    Pete, I don't get it.
    In Indiana you may not legally use bait for deer/turkeys. Bait is corn, oats, soybeans, mineral, ECT. Anything that is not allready there. It is OK to hunt over food plot, or over a field of crops, BUT heaven forbid you actually feed the damn wildlife!

CO's have MORE authority than any other branch of LE. Just wait, bet on them "inspecting" your freezer next. You will now be targeted for some time. CO's here are the same way. I am NOW a target because the local CO's don't like people hunting on crop depridation permits. I have gotton top numbers off the parcels I was permited on, so, in turn, that painted a huge bullseye on my back.

Myself, I put out loose mineral and calcium for the deer. I belive it helps improve herd health ( makes sense right?). The CO's wouldn't see it that way however. I don't hunt over top of the suppliments, but the definitions are VERY loose in the gamebook. "AN area is considered baited". Area? How big an "area"? The whole section I hunt? Or 100 yards square around it? No, it is left to CO's to interprit that.

As a side thought, how WOULD those CO's know if you WERE using feed, unless they TRESPASSED to see it? OH, silly me, CO's don't trespass, since they have the power of "law" behind them.[:o)][:I][B)]

Good luck on your impending court troubles. Hope it all works out well for you.
  • Options
    rkba4everrkba4ever Member Posts: 815 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The put a blanket ban on feeding here in the PRNY due to an outbreak of CWD, They seem to think that if the deer are feeding in close proximity to each other they will spread the disease much more quickly through the herd. Funny thing, though, the deer that started the CWD problems escaped from a pen, and from there spread the disease to wild deer in those management areas. They culled a major portion of the deer herd in that area, only found it in like 2 or 3 more deer but killed HUNDREDS of all age groups to "prevent the spread" [xx(]. The only way the ECOs would have known about you feeding is if someone called the tip line. But of course now that they have you in their radar, I'm sure the harrasment will continue, they'll do alot of "fishing" to try to catch you doing something to bust you for. I wish they'd spend more time busting the salmon snaggin' scumbags on the Salmon River then to give folks a hard time for giving wildlife supplemental feed.............
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thanks for your support.
    Here is another kicker.....I have a camper up on blocks in the center of my land. The ECO said he went looking for me and even opened the door of my camper to see if I was in there......
    It was a good thing I was not in there ![B)]
    Abort Cuomo
  • Options
    Horse Plains DrifterHorse Plains Drifter Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 39,389 ***** Forums Admin
    edited November -1
    Sorry to hear your trouble. This country is off the rails for sure.

As far as your court date, don't get your hopes up. My experience has shown that the judge and those other government goons all get their paycheck at the same window, and they know it.[V]
  • Options
    jpwolfjpwolf Member Posts: 9,164
    edited November -1
    No search warrant to go through you vehicle?

Constitution? What Constitution?
  • Options
    pickenuppickenup Member Posts: 22,844 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by nyforester
    They were robots !
    A sign of things to come?
    Oh wait.....that time is here NOW. [:(!]

Sorry to hear of your encounter with the JBT's. Like you, not that I expect a judge to be any different, but I hope your court appearance goes better.
  • Options
    WoundedWolfWoundedWolf Member Posts: 1,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You should have told them that you are a member of the NRA and tried to work out a reasonable compromise with them.

[:o)]
  • Options
    Hunter MagHunter Mag Member Posts: 6,611 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    NY let us know how court turns out.[:(]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Don't forget to mention how your Constitutionally protected right against illegal search was violated, if the judge forgets to. Maybe mention that you are thinking of bringing suit against them for it. I bet the "authorities" might backpedal at the thought of a CITIZEN who intends to hold them to the rules designed to protect that citizen from THEM. Then again, you will have a new bullseye on your back the size of a blimp. THEY don't like individual citizens with the guts to resist. That might result in some justice and they can't abide that. The beast doesn't like it when you try to remove the plank from his eye.
  • Options
    rkba4everrkba4ever Member Posts: 815 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Yeah, but if someone did call the tip line for DEC, they would have their "probable cause" to run roughshod over his rights. Once they have that, no judge is gonna get his robe in a twist about their tactics. I think they were just trying to tag him for hunting over bait - they don't have enough crooks they can catch breaking the law - they gotta manufacture some kind of success to keep the $$ flowing into their coffers............
  • Options
    Marc1301Marc1301 Member Posts: 31,897 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    NY,......I didn't know things were getting this bad.

Hope it doesn't cause you too much of an issue.
    Stay calm, and make your case.

I understand about temper, and being younger.
    I am still amazed to this day that I have never been arrested.
    One good thing about getting a bit older I guess.[;)]
    "Beam me up Scotty, there's no intelligent life down here." - William Shatner
  • Options
    Jim RauJim Rau Member Posts: 3,550
    edited November -1
    I have news for you. I have only met ONE FISH AND FEATHERS cop, as they are called in AK, that even an ounce of commonsense. THEY ARE ZERO TOLARNCE, and zero tolerance is for weak mined people who either can't or are afraid to make decisions for themselves. I have had several run ins with the DOW officers is CO.[:(!]
    One came very close to being shot because he didn't realize we (my friend and I) were off duty cops. He saw we had weapons under our coats and he was inching back to try and get to his gun in his vehicle after he had litterly pushed us around and called us every name in the book when we enlightened him as to the consequences if he pointed a gun at us.!![xx(]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thanks Jim, hope he carried that lesson. I am utterly sick of those DOW knotheads.
  • Options
    slumlord44slumlord44 Member Posts: 3,702 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    It is illegal to feed the deer in Illinois also. The fact that the deer help themselves to millions of dollars worth of the states farmers crops every year seems to be a different matter. Personally I beleive that feeding wildlife is a bad idea even though my wife makes me keep our bird feeders full. The problem is that what you do on your own property should be nobody's business but yours.
  • Options
    dan kellydan kelly Member Posts: 9,799
    edited November -1
    mn. you werew a bit slow...i would have said to them as i looked in their eyes and said "i ain`t feeding deer..i own this land, and ive got a couple of pet goats that i frop food off to sometimes"...let them prove you`re lying![}:)]

it`s illegal to feed up ducks here too...i told the wildlife rangers when they tried to book me for doing it that i was`nt feeding ducks...i was feeding swans!..they could`nt prove otherwise so they had to walk off.
    unless they actually caught you shooting deer over the bait, if you tell the judge the goat story you might get away with it for lack of evidence...

good luck, and don`t forget to tell us what happens.

sometimes the law sucks!..if the deer are on your property and you want to bait them, it should be your buisness!
  • Options
    gundad308gundad308 Member Posts: 29 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    NY, provided they don't toss you in and throw away the keys, next year, find or clear a small parcel of land and just plant a bunch of corn. I don't think it's illegal to plant a crop. Kansas deer eat the heck out of it. We call'em cows with antlers. Best of luck.
  • Options
    salzosalzo Member Posts: 6,396 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I got busted a few years ago in New York for poaching (hunting without a license). They were real pricks. They walked right into my grandmothers house, went through the freezers, the bedrooms, the closets, handled a .22 I had in the closet-advised that I should lock it up. Every question he asked me, I answered another question. "How long have you been hunting here?"
    "Uhh I married his (my hunting partners) niece 3 years ago."
    He made me open my trunk, looked in the car, under the seats. And then he went and confiscated the deer we had in the barn. He asked me for help getting it off the meat hooks-I told him I had a bad back. Was hoping the meat hook would fall off the rafter and hit him in his head.
  • Options
    slumlord44slumlord44 Member Posts: 3,702 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Mayby I am missing something here, but you killed a deer without a liscensce and the game warden that caught you was the prick?
    There are places where they would confiscate your gun and property for this illegal action. I am not saying that such actions are necessarly right or wrong, but most of the mistakes I got caught at, I had to pay the penalty.
  • Options
    joshmb1982joshmb1982 Member Posts: 8,929
    edited November -1
    salzo

id say your lucky for not getting into deeper snit. i believe the game wardens have more power/authority then the local pd. and can do these searches on just a tip[xx(] uve heard of people loosing not only the deer but also the firearm used to take it and if cought in the act loosing the vehicle your driveing as well.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by joshmb1982
    salzo

id say your lucky for not getting into deeper snit. i believe the game wardens have more power/authority then the local pd. and can do these searches on just a tip[xx(] uve heard of people loosing not only the deer but also the firearm used to take it and if cought in the act loosing the vehicle your driveing as well.

Josh- I know it could have been worse. A friend of mine had his rifle confiscated when he was busted by a warden for walking through a "safety zone" with a loaded rifle. He was on public hunting land, and a strip about twenty yards wide, which also happend to be a trail, was within a couple hundred yads of a house-law says within two hundred yards of a house is a safety zone, hence, he was busted for walking on the trail. Later it was realized that the trail was like a "speed trap" on a highway. Many hunters would walk the trail, not realizing it was a safety zone, and the warden would hang out and bust them as they went through. He got his gun back after a long time. Had to go in front of a judge, plead guilty, and his firearm was returned.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by slumlord44
    Mayby I am missing something here, but you killed a deer without a liscensce and the game warden that caught you was the prick?
    There are places where they would confiscate your gun and property for this illegal action. I am not saying that such actions are necessarly right or wrong, but most of the mistakes I got caught at, I had to pay the penalty.

Notwithstanding my illegal activity, the warden was still a prick. I paid the penalty, never complained about it. They got a call that there was a bunch of out of staters running a deer factory-shooting a hundred deer, and processing them. The call was made by an ex girlfriend of one of the people I was hunting uhhhh I mean poaching with. The four of us were all former New Yorkers, and we never let the state of new york know we were no longer residents- we kept buying resident licenses, and because we were out of staters, that was fraud.
    It was quite obvious that there was no great deer massacre going on. We had one deer hanging in the barn, we told the warden about it right away. I could understand checking the freezer-but to go rifling through the house, with my eighty year old grandmother with a case of diarreha getting very upset-totally unecessary, and the prick knew it-it was obvious there was no factory.
    My actions were wrong, I had no problem with the penalty the law required. But if I was speeding and got pulled over and the cop demanded a body cavity search, I wouldnt say a body cavity search is "OK", because I was speeding.
  • Options
    Horse Plains DrifterHorse Plains Drifter Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 39,389 ***** Forums Admin
    edited November -1
    I have yet to see a game warden or DOT cop(or weigh cop or goon squad or whatever ya want to call them)that wasn't a total dog pile.
  • Options
    DBMJR1DBMJR1 Member Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I got pizzed off at a squirrel, on the wrong side of a tree once. He would show himself, bark at me, and round the tree he went.

After about half an hour of this, I unloaded five through my Springfield single, real fast. They were my last five rounds, and I didn't get the squirrel.

Up shows the DWF, Dept. of wildlife, and fisheries. He wants to know where my auto is. Swears I have an illegal, unplugged auto. Nobody can shoot a single that fast, he swears. Makes me wait over half an hour, while he searches. Then he challenges me to do it again. I tell him I can't, I used my last five rounds on that worthless squirrel. He followed me out, to my car. I'd bet he waited hours for me to go back to retrieve that 'auto'.

The thing is, the squirrel was still in that tree, barking at me the whole time. I hate that squirrel, and I bet he outlives me too.
  • Options
    45long45long Member Posts: 642 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The problem with "Specialty Cops" is that they have such a limited scope of what they can and can't do that they take full advantage of the can do part. Game wardens, evironmental, OSHA, Shoot, even your local motor officer, (motorcycle cop). They are there for one reason and they are so focused on the ONE reason, that's all they see. And they will not, as a rule, give their grandmother a break. They are a very Special lot. Kind of like Jerry's kids with a badge
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I defended myself pretty good !
    The judge fined me $25.
    I guess it could have been much worse.
    Case closed !
    Abort Cuomo
  • Options
    pickenuppickenup Member Posts: 22,844 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Not too bad, I would guess.
    Was there any points involved?

Here, they assess points against your hunting privileges for certain violations.
  • Options
    HighballHighball Member Posts: 15,755
    edited November -1
    Amazing...and almost unbelieveable. There are a few good judges left, I reckon.

Good show, feller.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    No points of any kind were given. I have never heard of points given in NY for hunting. NY gives points on your drivers license for moving violations.

Yes Highball.....it seems almost unbelieveable. I made my case to the judge, explained everything point by point....I guess the judge feeds the deer also perhaps.....[;)]
    Abort Cuomo
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Way to go. [:D] I allways like to hear the good guys winning once in a while. I'm guessing the 25.00 was court cost. Nothing more. Congratualtions[:D]
  • Options
    lordmegatronlordmegatron Member Posts: 33 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by WoundedWolf
    You should have told them that you are a member of the NRA and tried to work out a reasonable compromise with them.

[:o)]

ny i'm member of the NRA.. officer yea your point being
    there are two places i feed deers southern ohio dog and game
    preserve.. and hueston woods. SODG the owner don't mind
    he does if the fools feed them cookies WTH
    hueston their kept in a pen
  • Options
    HighballHighball Member Posts: 15,755
    edited November -1
    quote:ny i'm member of the NRA.. officer
    Are we to assume that you are an officer in the NRA ?

Your illiterate, disjointed post leads one to strongly believe so, of course...but perhaps that isn't what you meant.
  • Options
    lordmegatronlordmegatron Member Posts: 33 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    no i'm saying when the person told NY to tell the officer he's
    a member of the NRA the officer woulda said your point being
    to get out of his predictamint. if i was NY i woulda been
    here's my NRA card see life member
  • Options
    Hunter MagHunter Mag Member Posts: 6,611 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by nyforester
    No points of any kind were given. I have never heard of points given in NY for hunting. NY gives points on your drivers license for moving violations.

Good deal NY!!
    I hate to rain on your parade but IF it's on your record even without points and IF it happens again...
  • Options
    fullautogunnerfullautogunner Member Posts: 681 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    In MO. I hear it is illegal to hunt in a field that has been baited by another unknown person. It is the job of the hunter to make sure the land is not baited. Not 100% sure.

I found a pile of poached deer, and ALL the meat was there, but a few heads missing. I called the local warden because of the wasted meat, not the poaching. Never heard from them despite my messages I left since they weren't there to answer a call for a few days. Sad how they were probably out harassing easier "targets."
  • Options
    edited November -1
    What the heck difference does an NRA make ?? What is that? Like a NY get out of jail free card ? I don't care what state your in someone shows me NRA card like it's supposed to mean something and I'll laugh in his face. Or ask him if he has a library card to go with it. *LOL*
  • Options
    WoundedWolfWoundedWolf Member Posts: 1,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I guess the sarcasm of my original comment was lost. Wouldn't trying to compromise in that situation be the appropriate NRA sanctioned approach?
  • Options
    cce1302cce1302 Member Posts: 9,555 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by WoundedWolf
    I guess the sarcasm of my original comment was lost. Wouldn't trying to compromise in that situation be the appropriate NRA sanctioned approach?
    Yeah, I got it. If it weren't true it might evoke a chuckle.
  • Options
    TyrTyr Member Posts: 15 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Former LEO.
    There are restrictions regarding wildlife--simply because they ARE wildlife. No poison, artificial light, aircraft, road hunting, shooting from or across a public road, etc.
    Let's consider the public road issue. You were on your land right? Most roads there would not be public. So were you on YOUR land when the ECO's visited you. If posted (usually even if not posted) their presence would constitute trespassing. If they didn't see a violation they need a warrant. I would post my land and even string a single strand of barbed or unbarbed wire around it tree to tree. Hand the NO TRESPASSING signs on the wire.

Unloading the side arm is reasonable. Safe for you and them. I always cuffed people put in my cruiser. Colorado law regarding concealed weapons (shall issue law) lets cops unload or take possession (temporary). A cop could not go through your car but wildlife conservation officers (WCO) could check your car during hunting season (if big game season the interior would be off limits including the glove box). They also can check to see if there is a chambered round during the season. You can refuse to unlock it but some tow the car and pretend to "inventory" the contents.

I have been stopped, jumped out of the car with lic, reg, and insurance and stood by the door with hands in plain sight. They order you to get into the car but that is illegal in CO. Easiest thing is to have a door key in your wallet or shoe and calmly explain that you left the keys in the ignition and accidently locked the doors.

I wish there was a coating that could be activated electrically to turn black--I know they just want to do an eye search (plain sight doctrine) for contraband. Face it--I did it for years.

There is a whole method to present your case in court. Too long to detail here. The ECO's just need probable cause to issue a ticket. It is only an allegation. Once you got it (or before) tell them to get off your land and direct them the route to take. You know that notes are made on the back--tell them to note that they were on your land uninvited. (Good luck--but get the notes at trial--they have to give them to you--its called "dicovery".

I have had to work with fellow officers that were referred to as "Adam Henrys" over the radio. Substitute the first letter of each word for how you REALLY felt about these guys. Heck, I gave people verbal warnings for speeding 10 over. Why? Because I found myself on "preventative patrol" (no particular place to go) doing 10 over on the same street. Ticked off supervisors but got them to make me a detective after 5 years.

Call your Dept of Wildlife or whatever they call the outfit issuing licenses. Get a supervisor. Ask what authority they have to search vehicles, private property, and how it squares with the US Constitution and the constitution of NY. Write that name down and his title. If you keep getting singled out (please stop the feeding) and you get a ticket have the court subpoena the supervisor. (In CO you could tape the call but maybe not NY unless you told him)

BTW If in a city and some counties the government already controls (or makes unlawful) where you relieve yourself. In CO you can't even save the rainwater from your roof for private use. It contributes to water rights owned by someone downstream or out of state. Crazy! Tyr
  • Options
    skychaser53skychaser53 Member Posts: 344 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    why can't you feed the deer in some states? In Ohio the law says deer are nocturnal and eat at night.. Therefore you are not baiting them.