In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

If your answer is "Yes" to fighting,...

chaoslodgechaoslodge Member Posts: 790 ✭✭✭✭
How many of you are actually in good enough shape to be worth a damn?

Owning a gun is only part of the equation. Can you hump it and the ammunition to feed it to the fight?

I see a lot of bellies at any gun show I ever go to.

Comments

• Options
    Don McManusDon McManus Member Posts: 23,473 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The battle will be on my doorstep.

I can carry 17 5.56 battlepacks on my hoverround and the mobility of this thing will allow me to pick my target, pick the time, and take the shot.

I only hope they don't run down the stairs.
    Freedom and a submissive populace cannot co-exist.

Brad Steele
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I am sure you are not the only one and many are not jesting when they speak and think such things.

I will say that allowing one's self to become overweight and out of shape is as unpatriotic as sending the Brady campaign a check. Fat people are useless in the struggle that is coming, except as cannon fodder.
  • Options
    quickmajikquickmajik Member Posts: 16,324
    edited November -1
    Im good to go in less then a 500 count. But I still think that we the people can fix this well before there is wide spread violence.
  • Options
    n/an/a Member Posts: 168,427
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by chaoslodge

Owning a gun is only part of the equation. Can you hump it and the ammunition to feed it to the fight?

I see your point, but I don't feel it is somehow unpatriotic.
    Am I personally fit? More than 99%. I am capable of more work than most. That doesn't mean that I am totally healthy. I do have problems with the heart, so I am told. High bloodpressure.

I don't see the psyically fit part having to DO with patriotism. Moreso neglect of duty. As a member of the militia, we are expected to respond when needed. We are not going to have a plan years ahead.
  • Options
    EMSguy11EMSguy11 Member Posts: 16 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    This is why everyone needs to be doing a little physical activity! Training, shooting, and moving. Cant hurt at all can it?
  • Options
    badchrisbadchris Member Posts: 1,668 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    How do you come to the conclusion that anyone with a belly is out of shape? That's like saying all skinny people in shape.
    Do you judge people by the color of their skin as well?
    Enemies of armed self-defense focus on the gun. They ignore the person protected with that gun.
  • Options
    zinkzink Member Posts: 6,456 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I do exercise my trigger finger regularly!
  • Options
    steveaustinsteveaustin Member Posts: 852 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    3 miles every evening or I can't sleep at all. Horse owner, ready to rock and roll at the drop of a hat. And yes I would like to know how you got that info on HR2454, I googled, proxied around servers and came up with bupkiss. Can you get the docs on HR2998, the additional pages that they can't read.
  • Options
    wsfiredudewsfiredude Member Posts: 7,769 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1

I am not in the physical shape I was at 18, but I am not off by much.

I do not run as much as I did when I was in the military or when I first got out. Nowadays, I may run 1-2 miles/day, but the majority of my exercise consists of swimming. It's much easier on joints, and provides a good cardiovascular workout.

I try to stay in the best possible shape for the benefit of my family, my co-workers, and the citizens I serve.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    chaos, what concerns me about this thread is you saying I am not worth a damn. I have have some back procedures that have left me mobility challenged, left leg has no feeling, a shoulder rebuilt, shot twice, stabbed once and hit in the head with a hatchet (that explains alot right there) during my tenure as a LEO. I will be in the midst of it.

I am a certified gunsmith/machinist that can repair you broken assed guns. This old broken down man can make parts for your guns, including springs, by hand from scrap laying around. Or if need be make a functioning gun with a hand file from plate steel.

I can shoot quite well, thank you, and you never know, a diversion/cover fire will come in handy sometime. No army can win w/o logistics so you might want to think of the others out there that will fill those rolls.

Lance
  • Options
    Horse Plains DrifterHorse Plains Drifter Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 39,356 ***** Forums Admin
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by zink
    chaos, what concerns me about this thread is you saying I am not worth a damn. I wouldn't worry about it Zink, one only has to consider the source. I have found in life that people who run their mouth and spout crap like that really couldn't tell chit from good wild honey.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Horse Plains Drifter
    chaos, what concerns me about this thread is you saying I am not worth a damn. I wouldn't worry about it Zink, one only has to consider the source. I have found in life that people who run their muuth and spout crap like that really couldn't tell chit from good wild honey.

Yeh, I know. Just got on my nerves. I have alot on my mind right now. Until he has walked in the shoes I have and those I wear now...

Thanks!
  • Options
    n/an/a Member Posts: 168,427
    edited November -1
    chaos, what concerns me about this thread is you saying I am not worth a damn. I have have some back procedures that have left me mobility challenged, left leg has no feeling, a shoulder rebuilt, shot twice, stabbed once and hit in the head with a hatchet (that explains alot right there) during my tenure as a LEO. I will be in the midst of it.

I am a certified gunsmith/machinist that can repair you broken assed guns. This old broken down man can make parts for your guns, including springs, by hand from scrap laying around. Or if need be make a functioning gun with a hand file from plate steel.

I can shoot quite well, thank you, and you never know, a diversion/cover fire will come in handy sometime. No army can win w/o logistics so you might want to think of the others out there that will fill those rolls.

Lance
    You can fight next to me any day Lance.[;)]

I am more concerned with what a man is made of and what is in his heart, not how big his biceps are.[;)]
  • Options
    Mr. FriendlyMr. Friendly Member Posts: 7,981
    edited November -1
    When I was less than 7% body fat I got my patriotic * handed to me by an unpatriotic man with a gut and 20 years on me. I never saw a big man move so fast and hit so hard in my life, and I have tangled with a lot of people in and out of the ring
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by lt496

Lance
    You can fight next to me any day Lance.[;)]

I am more concerned with what a man is made of and what is in his heart, not how big his biceps are.[;)]

Thanks. I have stood between the helpless and danger in the past, would do so now and will do so in the future. We few, we band of brothers, will fight as one even though we will be many!

Lance
  • Options
    badchrisbadchris Member Posts: 1,668 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by zinkI have stood between the helpless and danger in the past, would do so now and will do so in the future.
    This is exactly what my father taught me growing up. Never be afraid to stand up for those who cannot. My skinny * has taken many a beating doing this, but right is right. It's not who you are or what you look like, it's what you do that makes a good person.
    Enemies of armed self-defense focus on the gun. They ignore the person protected with that gun.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    The original intent of this question was not to discredit those who through age and infirmary are not in prime physical shape.

Guys like zink obviously know what they are about, what their limitations are and what their strengths are. I am talking about those who think they are going to be able to sustain a prolonged fight and actually mount a resistance in the field. You can bet the opposition is going to be composed of physically fit individuals who have trained their bodies as much as they have with their weapons.

Forgive me if I did not communicate that as well as I would have liked.
  • Options
    HighballHighball Member Posts: 15,755
    edited November -1
    quote:Todesengel

USA
    1926 Posts
    Posted - 06/29/2009 : 12:37:30 AM

When I was less than 7% body fat I got my patriotic * handed to me by an unpatriotic man with a gut and 20 years on me. I never saw a big man move so fast and hit so hard in my life, and I have tangled with a lot of people in and out of the ring

Now, this here is funny...I don't care who you are. I remember the good old days, when I weighed 190 pounds and thought I was hell on wheels ..trained and all, you see...makes the beating that much worse...[:0]
    Back in those days, a man could take a beating...or give one ..shake hands, and become friends.
    I don't think that applies to this subject. A sick mind cannot be healed by a punch ..and these people will crawl away into a corner and resume their gnawing away at the warp and weave of the whole cloth. They desire only the destruction of everything a decent man holds dear...
    Give me a dozen dedicated, Constitutional men ..and if I die...I die in damn good company, fat bellies or not.
    That being said ..every man I know that holds the Constitution and Bill of Rights in their soul is in as good a physical condition as is possible, given age and health. I purely don't know any grossly obese Patriots. I know many that are barely walking about ..due to breakdown of their bodies. All they need do is to have the courage and strength to ensure that a couple ghouls make the transfer to Hades ..and they have won.
  • Options
    wsfiredudewsfiredude Member Posts: 7,769 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Highball
    quote:Todesengel

USA
    1926 Posts
    Posted - 06/29/2009 : 12:37:30 AM

Now, this here is funny...I don't care who you are. I remember the good old days, when I weighed 190 pounds and thought I was hell on wheels ..trained and all, you see...makes the beating that much worse...[:0]
    Back in those days, a man could take a beating...or give one ..shake hands, and become friends.
    I don't think that applies to this subject. A sick mind cannot be healed by a punch ..and these people will crawl away into a corner and resume their gnawing away at the warp and weave of the whole cloth. They desire only the destruction of everything a decent man holds dear...
    Give me a dozen dedicated, Constitutional men ..and if I die...I die in damn good company, fat bellies or not.
    That being said ..every man I know that holds the Constitution and Bill of Rights in their soul is in as good a physical condition as is possible, given age and health. I purely don't know any grossly obese Patriots. I know many that are barely walking about ..due to breakdown of their bodies. All they need do is to have the courage and strength to ensure that a couple ghouls make the transfer to Hades ..and they have won.

[;)]
  • Options
    RocklobsterRocklobster Member Posts: 7,060
    edited November -1
    I have no illusions about my capabilities either. I'm pushing 60 and have numerous health issues that you are not interested in. I'll certainly not be able to run and gun.

I also know how to repair firearms. My hope is to be able to provide that service as well as guns and ammunition for the young guys, and possibly cover their backs - I'm still fairly proficient with a sniper rifle, especially one of my own! [;)]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I guess my point (poorly made) was more that keeping in the best physical shape one is able to is just as important as anything else. I owe it to my country and fellow citizens to do just that. I am not at the top of my class but I am certainly above average in that respect for my age. I have some metal in me and age is starting to do its thing but I still get out there and work the body as much as I do my trigger finger.

I like the thread about 3%ers and I realize that most of the bellies I see at gun shows are not part of that group. I hate that this sort of thing is even a topic of discussion. Many of you who replied were outside of the scope I was referring to. Those of you who could shed a few pounds and put a bit more effort into exercise should think about it not just for vanity but for what you will be able to bring to the table should things get out of hand.

Cheers
  • Options
    wittynbearwittynbear Member Posts: 4,518
    edited November -1
    I always stay in shape, not only fit to fight, but I get some looks from some cute chicks at the beach.
  • Options
    melkormelkor Member Posts: 191 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I will just get illegal day laborers to carry my ammo, and 8 more to carry me on my silk throne with mistress... Jabba Warrior READY HERE [^]!
  • Options
    11b6r11b6r Member Posts: 16,588 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Being an old, fat man, my plan is to give as many JBTs a hernia as I can- while they are trying to carry me! [:p] OTOH, my two oldest grandsons are now 25 and 23. They are 6'2" amd 6'1". And in damned good shape.

And please remember- age and cunning usually trumps youth and energy.
  • Options
    cwi555cwi555 Member Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Well isn't that just special.

A little history for you. My grandpa taught me how to shoot, make steel, make copper wire, machine parts, weld, build engines (and I mean from the ore to spark), make the fuel for the aforementioned engines, sheath that wire in insulation, recycle rubber, make moonshine, plow a field, skin and butcher most any animal, and a host of other things I'll not mention. Since his death I've carried on learning as much as I could, and practicing it every chance I get.
    He was a very, very, very, intelligent man. It is my hope and dream that I can amount to even half the man he was before I die. BTW, when he taught me all that he did so gimped up due to injuries he received in the Pacific theatre Bleeding so you and others like you can poke fun at people like him.
    I would take 10 such men over 5,000 "physically fit" boys with nothing but sewer water between their ears.
    Those kind of men can land anywhere, anytime, under nearly any condition and survive, thrive, and overcome.
    I promise you this, 10 such men are far and above more dangerous than those 5000 steroid advertisements. They are the brains behind the operation, the 5000 are the fodder.

• Options
    oldwolf49oldwolf49 Member Posts: 73 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    A few extra pounds only means that there is more the bullets have to get through to make me stop shooting. And along with cwi555, I got a few smarts in my head that will keep me usable even if I can't get to the line. Chemistry is a wonderful science especially when so many household items are available.
  • Options
    slumlord44slumlord44 Member Posts: 3,702 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    64 years old. 6'2" tall. 210 pounds give or take. My 32 year old son in law will drop before me when it comes to physical exertion, and so will most guys his age. Fair shot, can fix most things in a pinch. Learned a long time ago to avoid a fight if at all possible and to take the other guy out before he hurts you if you must get into a fight. Figure I will outlast a lot of them if things get realy bad.
  • Options
    rawhide54rawhide54 Member Posts: 432 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If you're a bit heavy or have health problems, that just means you lay down the base of fire and cover the backs of the guys on the assault team. Everyone plays an equal part if it ever comes to that.
  • Options
    bigoutsidebigoutside Member Posts: 19,443
    edited November -1
    I ain't as good as I once was...
    But I'm as good once, as I ever was.
  • Options
    pietro75pietro75 Member Posts: 7,048
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by cwi555

A little history for you. My grandpa taught me how to shoot, make steel, make copper wire, machine parts, weld, build engines (and I mean from the ore to spark), make the fuel for the aforementioned engines, sheath that wire in insulation, recycle rubber, make moonshine, plow a field, skin and butcher most any animal, and a host of other things I'll not mention. Since his death I've carried on learning as much as I could, and practicing it every chance I get.
    He was a very, very, very, intelligent man. It is my hope and dream that I can amount to even half the man he was before I die. BTW, when he taught me all that he did so gimped up due to injuries he received in the Pacific theatre Bleeding so you and others like you can poke fun at people like him.
    I would take 10 such men over 5,000 "physically fit" boys with nothing but sewer water between their ears.
    Those kind of men can land anywhere, anytime, under nearly any condition and survive, thrive, and overcome.
    I promise you this, 10 such men are far and above more dangerous than those 5000 steroid advertisements. They are the brains behind the operation, the 5000 are the fodder.

You sound like a man I would like to sit and talk to a bit.
  • Options
    WerwolfWerwolf Member Posts: 475 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    IMO it really is not that important how old, what shape, etc, that you are in because if you are serious about this and I presume that most of you are then some of these things can be fixed while others may be able to be manipulated or altered and some we are just stuck with, but can be adapted too.
    What really matters is what mindset that you all have and if you as individuals can actually be relied upon to do what you say you will do at the moment of truth and only each person can and will answer that question at the appropriate time. No one can think so highly of themselves and their own personal well being to the point of disregarding the welfare of our beloved Constitution and Country because we were scared, didn't want to lose what we have, or thought that we were too old, out of shape etc, as we all have our issues, but just the fact that we are making the effort and taking the time to consider these factors is the first initiative to overcoming them.
    Age cant really be fixed nor does it really matter per se, as it can be adapted too while some health problems just are what they are, although everyone has the obligation to eat right, exercise and educate themselves and others and arm and train themselves well and have something extra to possibly supply and arm other like minded and trusted individuals that may be in need.
    It is good to see so many of us here and elsewhere ready to heed the call if necessary, to rise up against the beast to do battle and would be an honor to fight along side those that have pledged their allegiance to our beloved Constitution as our Fore Fathers did so long ago.
  • Options
    edited November -1

blah blah blah, puff puff puff,...

And I would take 2 of the ones with the knowledge you describe plus the physical conditioning it takes to put that knowledge to use and leave the rest to their fate. If it comes down to survival of the fittest, fit is going to be a holistic metric.

Ever wonder why our elite forces are called Special Forces. They have to think too. How many of them do you see with beer bellies?
  • Options
    quickmajikquickmajik Member Posts: 16,324
    edited November -1
    Abstract and rational intellegence is a big part of being a good fighter.. That i can vouch for, because I still have a full set of teeth and 8 broken nuckles.
  • Options
    HighballHighball Member Posts: 15,755
    edited November -1
    There is a place for EVERYBODY.

A leader finds that place and puts them there.
  • Options
    edited November -1

Agreed.

I will reiterate again that I might not have worded this as well as I would have in the intitial posting. It was aimed at getting people to think about something as simple as a mind/body connection and that keeping oneself in as good a shape as possible is every bit as important as the tools and smarts one has. That some took it so personally speaks volumes but I will leave that alone.
  • Options
    edited November -1

Agreed.

I will reiterate again that I might not have worded this as well as I would have in the intitial posting. It was aimed at getting people to think about something as simple as a mind/body connection and that keeping oneself in as good a shape as possible is every bit as important as the tools and smarts one has. That some took it so personally speaks volumes but I will leave that alone.

chaos, I understand not saying what you meant, though your words were poorly chosen. At first took offense to them, but through further clarification, I am fine with them. All I request is to realize there is a function for everyone. From cooking to fighting there are MANY, MANY rolls to be filled. What we are pointing out is that experiance has its uses> Did you ever see the movie "The Postman"? What "things" did the Vietnam vet know?

NO HARM, NO FOUL!

Lance
  • Options
    cwi555cwi555 Member Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1

blah blah blah, puff puff puff,...

And I would take 2 of the ones with the knowledge you describe plus the physical conditioning it takes to put that knowledge to use and leave the rest to their fate. If it comes down to survival of the fittest, fit is going to be a holistic metric.

Ever wonder why our elite forces are called Special Forces. They have to think too. How many of them do you see with beer bellies?

I am aware of the "special forces". Yes they do have to think.
    The key words are If it comes down to survival of the fittest

Fit will not be a holistic metric unless it is referring to fitness of mind and spirit. Do you think even half of the great minds and leaders of the last 10 centuries were "physically fit"?
    No they were not. Argue what you will, I know I am right.
    For that matter, do you think the Generals, Admirals, Presidents etc who are giving the orders to the "special forces" could run jump and play as the current SF soldiers do? Not likely, but they are the brains behind the operation.
    Years down the road, when the military career is over, and those guys have a beer belly, they still have their mind if they haven't pickled it. It is the force of mind that makes them formidable. Everything else is just a tool.

One thing that is clear to me, your continued attempts at defending an indefensible position is proving my point for me.
  • Options
    ROBERTWISEROBERTWISE Member Posts: 5 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    chaos i resemble that remark about the bellys, but i could could probably stand toe to toe with anyone my age, i can stalk to within bow range of whitetail bucks and turkeys so i think i could hold my own in a battle situation
  • Options
    eric55eric55 Member Posts: 2 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I never really got how the 2nd amendment is possible to play out as intended. lets say the worst happens if every gun owner in america owened an m16 we are still no match for appache gunship helicopters! so no matter how many guns you have or how in shape you are the state is always way stronger. please enlighten me this question has been on my mind a while
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by eric55
    I never really got how the 2nd amendment is possible to play out as intended. lets say the worst happens if every gun owner in america owened an m16 we are still no match for appache gunship helicopters! so no matter how many guns you have or how in shape you are the state is always way stronger. please enlighten me this question has been on my mind a while

Well we could all throw our hands up and surrender! I forgot about how much LIBERATED stuff was used against us in WWII, Korea, Vietnam and that that is presently used against us now. If I recall I don't see too many Taliban giving up, and what weapons are they using? Ballistics and the use of explosives made of household chemicals in the right proportions are amazing in what they become.