In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Felons Right To Self-Defence

TurntableTurntable Member Posts: 7 ✭✭
As a convicted felon,some constantly stuggle with the question of; If their life were ever in danger,who would be responsible for protecting it? Certainly not their beloved local police dept. As most of us are alarmingly aware,no police officer or department thereof is LEGALLY responsible for any of our lives,felon or NOT. It is not a bad joke as one might think,but it is a conscience-jolting FACT. Unfortunately any citizen who has been convicted of a felony, regardless of the circumstances(even if no act of violence was perpetrated and no weapon or firearm was used during the comission of the crime),these citizens are illegally stripped of their Constitutional Right to own,buy,sell,or possess a FIREARM! Every felon who has ever been convicted of a felony (only exceptions being; polititions,cops,lawyers,judges,and of course wealthy and influential people,such as professional athlete/movie stars, also let us not forget FOREIGN DIPLOMATS and their bodyguards)has in effect been told by our Congress and Supreme Court as dictated to the individual States,that the lives of convicted felons are not worth saving or protecting! These Scoundrel,usurpitous-thieves are putting peoples lives at risk daily, and by the God given right that most believe is theirs, their guns,legal or not,will continue to be their only guarantee of LIFE,LIBERTY and THE PERSUIT of HAPPINESS! Some of these unfortunate citizens will gladly go to prison for having to use a firearm to protect their own lives if need be,at least they will still be alive! God Bless America!

Comments

• salzosalzo Member Posts: 6,396 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    If the government does not recognize a right to bear arm for non-felons, why would you think that felons should be allowed that right?

"The powers delegated by the proposed constitution to the federal governmentare few and defined, and will be exercised principally on external objects, as war, peace negotiation, and foreign commerce"
    -James Madison
  • gunphreakgunphreak Member Posts: 1,791 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'll second that one, Salzo. Our own government would be just as happy to remove your rights as look at you.

Liberals aren't the only ones who vote to disarm us. Criminals do, too. Perhaps they are one in the same.

Death to Tyrants!!!

-Gunphreak
  • YankeeClipperYankeeClipper Member Posts: 669 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Not much to add to the above coments. DIDDOS

Helping keep America free: One gun at a time.
  • Gordian BladeGordian Blade Member Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If a felon has a clean record for a while and can get some testimonials, sometimes he/she can get back the right to own a firearm. Check with an attorney. I assume this is getting harder with time, not easier.
    edited November -1
    That is correct, Gordian Blade. And due to the nature of what one would be asking, I suspect it will be long, drawn out, and possibly expensive, too. One more way to keep guns out of the hands of non-elitists.

Death to Tyrants!!!

-Gunphreak
  • dads-freeholddads-freehold Member Posts: 1,361 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    greetings i think it's real interesting that all our founding fathers were in the colonial sense felons,so before and some durring the WAR. how do you think they would have fought had they known they would be treated as criminals . stripping the rights after a conviction is a rather new phenominon. before the great society mentality you paid your debt and you were a citizen again. respt submitted dads-freehold a fronte praecipitium a tergo lupi

rodney colson
    edited November -1
    Our Founding Fathers were also subject to tyrannical treatment, which included heavy taxes without representation, and gun seizure. Not one of our Founding Fathers were felons in the sense that they attacked citizens' rights. They were felons for acting against the British Monarchy.

Death to Tyrants!!!

-Gunphreak
  • BootlegBootleg Member Posts: 21 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'll go one step further along these lines.
    The spouse and children of a felon are also automatically stripped of
    many rights even though they have never been convicted of anything.
    Try getting a "Security Clearance" or nowadays even a "Clear Backround Check" for employment if your spouse is a felon.
    Try running for any political office and watch the PRESS crucify you
    if your spouse is a felon.
    Try getting grants, education, contracts, etc. if your spouse is a felon.
    The words "liberty and justice for all", "equality and equal opportunity", "after completing a sentence, felons have paid their debt to society", "persuit of happiness", "We, the people", "citizenship", "the american dream", "hope", "equal protection under the law", "right to bear arms", "unalienable rights", "land of opportunity", "taxation without representation", "trial by peers" and all the lies told by politicians to the world about their being no slavery in the USA is equally false when it comes to felons, their spouse and their children to one degree or another.
    Felons and their families are FORCED to live a semi-slavery existance in the USA with no hope of "Equality" nor "Equal Opportunity" ever again! PERIOD!
    Not too many decades ago felons were welcome back to society after they "Paid their debt to society". They were not denied any rights of any other citizen after paying their debt to society....
    NOW they and their families are pushed into the gutter at every turn, forced back to crime as they have no hope nor opportunities allowed to them by laws and government anymore.
    Example: If a felon gets a 10 year sentence, at no time during his sentencing will you ever see a judge also say he is to loose any of the above "Constitutional" rights afterwards. The judge will sentence him to jail time, probation and restitution, but never will their be any mention of loosing any rights.
    IF a judge does not take away rights, then HOW can they be taken away automatically without being brought to court and allowed a trial by ones peers? How can a felons spouse or children automatically loose their rights simply by being part of a felons family? What if a single mother marries a ex-con? She and her children automatically loose many rights the moment she is legally married! NOW, if she lives with a felon for years unmarried, she retains her rights. BUT, if she is religious and believes living together without being married is a sin, she thus faces loosing her rights because of her religious belief in marriage. Does THIS not also violate the Constitutions "Freedom of Religion" wording?
    I've * about these facts for decades and hope others here will THINK about my words and spread them. If America is no longer the land of the free, no longer the land of opportunity for all, no longer the land of equality. THEN..........................
    WHAT IS AMERICA NOW??????

The New Colossus Weeps,
    Now like the destroyed giant of Greek fame,
    Heralding promises of a once great people;
    Here at our sea-washed, sunset gates shall stand
    a mighty woman with a torch
    whose flame imprisoned lightning, now extinguised and cold.
    Her name Mother of Exiles, Unwanted, Obsolete, by this New America.
    From her beacon-hand once glowed
    world-wide welcome; now it warns all to fear this land
    Her ghostly eyes haunted by citizens denied equality,
    that twin cities once free now threaten all to protect the rich.
    "Keep ancient lands your storied pomp!"
    cries she with silent lips "THIS!..... again?"
    "Turn me around to
    face Tyrants when I speak now to America."
    "Give me your tired, your poor,
    Your huddled masses yearning to breathe free,
    The wretched refuse ex-convicts of your teeming shore.
    Send these, the homeless, tempest-tost familys to me
    and my blind sister JUSTICE, deaf? or worse?
    WE THE PEOPLE..I Yell, ashamed.
    Liberty and-d ..... for all?!

Bootleg 2002
    edited November -1
    Excellent!!! That is an explanation that is clearer than any I have ever in my life, even when spoken be me.

Bootleg, I commend you for this vision, and I hope all who read it learn from it, as well.

Death to Tyrants!!!

-Gunphreak
  • kaliforniankalifornian Member Posts: 475 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I've often expressed my viewpoint that felon is a detrimental classification and serves no productive purpose to society. Our justice system should either make someone serve their time and come out with full rights/status or not let them out in the first place. There is no constructive purpose to branding someone with such a powerful stigma that limits their employability and thus societal usefulness, deprives them of voting and 2nd ammendment rights, etc. Either kill them, lock them up forever, or reabilitate/punish them and then let them out with full rights and privileges. If they are bad enough to maintain a legal stigma, why let them out? (No I'm not a felon and I am a big anti-crime person).

So many guns, so little money . . .
    edited November -1
    Yeah... I'm not a felon, either, but let's face it, when someone pays their debt to society, how can someone say they paid their debt if they still keep having to pay for it. It makes them guilty of maybe doing something else. Why let them back into society???

Death to Tyrants!!!

-Gunphreak
  • dhdh Member Posts: 127 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    In Texas a potental juror is chosen by his or hers drivers license number,not a voters registration card.When you are called for jury duty all of you sit in the court room and the judge will explain that a convicted felon is acceptable as a juror as long as that felon was never locked up,that's right,a felon who received probation is still eligable as a juror.And on the topic of regaining your rights,1st you have to get an application from the state.It requires no arrest record since your release and 3 or 4 letters stating what a good citizen you are now from some close friends or better yet outstanding citizens in your community.Send that off to Austin and in 4 or 5 weeks you will get your answer,generally no.If you should get an O.K. then you start all over on the federal level.I heard once that Spiro Agnew had a pardon.And you can only apply once a year,in Texas anyway.Good luck!!
  • NighthawkNighthawk Member Posts: 12,022 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    There were some very good points made here,I live in VA.And its all but impossible for a felon to get his gun rights back.I know one guy who in his younger days shot a man,walked up stuck a .25acp in his face and fired.It didnt kill the guy the bullet went in one side of his jaw knocked out some teethe and came out the other side.It was over a woman.But the shooter pulled five yrs of an 8yr sentence.He is now changed been trouble free for 20yrs or so.And has tried to get his rights back for several yrs,with no success.He cant even vote.Some say he made his own bed,and some say it isnt right.Me I dont know.But you guys made me a little more open minded about it.

Best!!

Rugster
    edited November -1
    That pretty much says it all.

Death to Tyrants!!!

-Gunphreak
    edited November -1
    When existing laws take something away from a citizen, whether its his freedom or property, conditions set by our founding fathers in the Constitution called "Due Process" and "Equal Protection" among others, must be followed. A person must be CHARGED with breaking specific laws having specific penalty guidelines. He is guaranteed certain unalienable rights like being able to confront his accusers in a court of law and (being able to defend himself or hire a lawyer) often decided by a jury of his peers.
    If convicted of any civil or criminal matter, ONLY the judge is allowed to pronounce a legally binding sentence that may incorporate one or more sanctions, penalties and punishments as perscribed within the pertinent law for which he was convicted. IE a judge cannot give a small claims loser 25 years in prison as punishment when there are no such sanctions permitted under that specific civil law. Likewise in a criminal conviction, a judges sentence may be prison or even death but he cannot sentence someone to be a slave or to loose any of his constitutional civil rights. ONLY a judge may sentence a person only within specific guidelines of the law that was violated.
    I have never seen anyone arrested and sentenced for excercising their constitutional rights. I have never heard a JUDGE sentence a convicted felon to loose many of their civil rights as that would be an unconstitutional sentence.
    Therefore one must conclude that ex-cons retain all their rights even if laws are on the books saying otherwise as they were NEVER charged nor convicted of breaking these illegal laws and thus never
    sentenced by a judge only after excercising their "Due Process" and
    "Equal Protection", etc. rights to a trial by their peers, etc. etc..
    As we all know, ex-cons ARE denied many constitutional rights without ever having their rights taken by a judge, which would be an illegal sentence anyway.
    Even more bizarre is the fact their innocent spouce and children are also illegally stripped of many of their constitutional rights also.
    Yes, I am an ex-con. (drug bust) Yes, I agree that society should lock up an offender, etc. as long as they want to. Hell, make it a felony for jaywalking with a mandatory 25 years and no parole.
    But after I pay my debt to society, let me be as free as you are to
    try to succeed, to have "equal opportunity" without discrimination.
    If YOU oppress ME and deny my family all HOPE of the "American Dream", you become the very tyrants our forefathers fought against in every war since the beginning of history. As this oppression grows each year, sooner or later, you'll leave us only the option of bearing arms against you when you could have had a friend instead.
    Do you remember this...."Give me Liberty or Give me Death?"
    Think of this.....How would you feel if you were me?
    Is America no longer a nation of equality for all? And if I am not to be an "equal" citizen, having paid my debt to society fully, then "WHAT" am I to be?..... "WHAT" have you become?
    Nuff Said-
    Bootleg
    edited November -1
    Well put, bootleg. Thumbs up.

Death to Tyrants!!!

-Gunphreak
    edited November -1
    Sounds good,but I don't think I would try it.It could be a long wait in jail before you go to court.
    edited November -1
    That sucks, doesn't it???

Death to Tyrants!!!

-Gunphreak
  • Rob GreeneRob Greene Member Posts: 102 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    WOW!! Lots to think on here! I guess it comes down to the fact that a person either has paid his "debt to society" or he hasn't. I guess the politicians need to make up their minds. Maybe we as a country shouldn't put a person in "double jeporady" by making them pay with both their time and their rights after they've done the time. You've got me thinking, anyway...personaly, I judge a person based on what his character is now, I don't care what they may have done. After all, I KNOW what I've done in the past. I'm no "felon", but even though I didn't break any laws in that respect, I have done things that I'm not proud of. But now I'm past that. I guess others should have that chance, even if they did break laws.

**It is your right to posess a firearm. In case of questions, please refer to ammendment 2, United States Constitution.**
    edited November -1
    In all seriousness, nothing would make our malefactorous fedcoats happier than having all the guns out of our hands. The whole felon thing only gives them an excuse to oppress us.

Death to Tyrants!!!

-Gunphreak
    edited November -1
    Would this be a topic for the NRA to look into? Am I mistaken or didn't the NRA membership form once ask if an applicant was a felon? How many new members could they gain if felons or some felons were given their rights back to own firearms.Even more juicy would be how many more votes the politicians could count on if a felon could vote.Just a thought,I'm sure it has come up before.
    edited November -1
    The NRA could gain from it, but they seem more interested in negotiation processes and not the demanding of our natural rights as human beings with the privilege of being American Citizens. Besides, I think they're more interested in hunters' "rights" and less on gun owners' rights, anyway.

Remember, the Framers of our Constitution acknowledged the rights we have as Americans, one of which was the the ability to Keep and Bear Arms. By Keeping, that means owning and possessing, and by Bearing, that means to carry and use them as needed. In using Arms, you don't honestly think the Framers thought that carrying them as a deterrent should have been sufficient, do you?? It was for protection, at all levels, of living, from the violent thug all the way up to foreign and domestic occupation. To tell me that the 2nd Amendment was written only for hunters is a lot like saying the 1st Amendment was written only so you could read the sport's page in the newspaper.

One more thing. Those who don't know their rights don't have any.

Death to Tyrants!!!

-Gunphreak
    edited November -1
    (Please READ everything then check out my posts by Bootleg on this forum:
    http://forums.gunbroker.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=22130)

"A Citizen Questions on Citizenship" or "Are outlaws screwing your inlaws without laws?"
    by Bootleg

What's the difference in "Rights" between a citizen who is an excon and a citizen who is not? What law gives the government the right to
    permanently take away certain rights from an excon without a judge proscribing the rights be taken away? When has an excon ever been taken to court to have his civil rights stripped away permanently?
    When has an excon ever been arrested and prosecuted on any law that
    specifically says since they are excons they must now go to trial to
    fight for their right to keep all their civil rights?
    In American law, ONLY a JUDGE can proscribe penalties against a citizen and only after being allowed a trial by his peers and only for
    specific charges brought against him. How then can an excons rights be stripped away if he has never been in front of a judge for a charge of possessing civil rights illegally? What law exists that states certain civil rights exist only for certain people?
    I've been convicted of several felonies and not once during sentencing has any judge ever said I was to loose any of my civil rights as part of my sentence! If no judge has ever stripped my rights as part of any criminal sentence they gave me, how then can I not still have them?
    Furthermore...why does my wife and children also loose some of their civil rights simply because they are part of my family even though they have never committed any crime????
    Are excons having their civil rights taken WITHOUT due process and without equal protection the true intent of the Bill of Rights and the Constitution? Or should all rights be restored after an excon pays his debt to society like they have always been throughout our history? Since an excon is still a citizen, then what kind of citizen is he under our Constitution that states all citizens have equal rights? If the government can arbitrarily take most of an excons rights away without due process, can they then take one or more rights away from other groups of citizens as they see fit thus making
    a layered level of citizenship with only certain groups enjoying full
    rights? Either they can do this or they can't according to the Constitution. If they do it to even one group of citizens...excons, then are they not violating the Constitution? Are all American citizens "EQUAL" the Constitution and is that not the intent of those
    that wrote the constitution as evidenced by their adding the "Bill of Rights" guaranteeing "Equality" for ALL citizens?
    Just as "blacks" were slaves and had no rights even as freemen in the past, even as women couldn't vote till the 20th century, even as the aged and disabled were denied equal rights till recently, so now does one more group of millions of citizens exist that are being uncoonstitutionally denied their birthright as American citizens. This group is the millions of American citizens that are exconvicts and their families! ARE THEY CITIZENS OR NOT? The law says they still are citizens even if they are excons. If this is the case, then under our Constitution, are not ALL citizens equal having equal rights?
    If so, then exconvicts are illegally being persecuted and discriminated against along with their families. How would you rectify this?
    Nuff Said-
    Bootleg
  • chunkstylechunkstyle Member Posts: 2,463 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    How about thinking about the rights you might like to keep BEFORE committing the felony?

Iraqi: "Is it true that only 13% of American kids can find Iraq on a map?"
    American reporter: "Yes, but all 13% are Marines"

"I think life should be more like TV. All of life's problems ought to be solved within 30 minutes with simple homilies. All our desires should be instantly gratified. Women should always wear tight clothes, and men should carry powerful handguns. Of course, if life was really like that, what would we watch on TV?"

- Calvin (Calvin and Hobbes)
    edited November -1
    I guess if a former-felon wants to be just like the rest of us, have your rights reinstated. Put your money where your mouth is.

Death to Tyrants!!!

Those who would offer any interpretation that would relegate Amendment II to "relic" status of a bygone era are blatantly stating that the remainder of the Bill of Rights isn't worth a damn, either.

Luke 22:36.
  • bugaboobugaboo Member Posts: 10 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    VERY INTERESTING. WOULD BE GOOD IF NRA OR OTHER GUN RIGHTS GROUP COULD DO SOMETHING ON BEHALF OF ALL THOSE DEPRIVED OF THEIR 2ND AMENDMENT AND OTHER RIGHTS. PERHAPS A CLASS ACTION SUIT COULD BE ORGANIZED (VIA THE INTERNET?).

I NEVER GOT TO CHECK OUT G.O.A. CONCERNING THIS - PERHAPS ONE OF YOU BETTER AT USING COMPUTERS COULD - WHAT DO THEY SAY ABOUT THESE CONCERNS?

I BELIEVE I HEARD THAT LARRY PRATT HIMSELF HAS A FELONY BACKGROUND - ANYONE ELSE HEARD OR KNOW OF THAT?

AND OH, BOOTLEG - WHY DON'T YOU TELL US HOW YOU REALLY FEEL?
    (just kidding!!).

BUY YOU A BEER SOMETIME.

B.B.

P.S. BL - YOU MEAN A JUDGE OR PO NEVER TOLD YOU YOU COULDN'T POSSESS A FIREARM? THAT SEEMS TO BE ROUTINE NOWADAYS WITH ALMOST ANY PROSECUTION OR CONVICTION/RELEASE.
    edited November -1
    I guess if the feds spent more time obeying the Constitution, and less time subverting it.....

Death to Tyrants!!!

Those who would offer any interpretation that would relegate Amendment II to "relic" status of a bygone era are blatantly stating that the remainder of the Bill of Rights isn't worth a damn, either.

• Delta514Delta514 Member Posts: 440 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    All Good and well spoken, but we are singing our song to the deaf and dancing our dance for the blind.
    Those here which speak of Being or Becoming a FELON? Two weeks ago I was an American Citizen, and endowed with Certain Inalienable Rights. Today I am A Felon, and Outcast, not fit for Society. Jury of my Peers = 9 women without a clue and 3 men, none resembled any of "My Peers". 9 witnesses against me, 0 for me (all ATF or Police).

Found Guilty (and I was), Guilty of receving a "Pre-Paid Package" without verifying whom it was from. (I always ordered C.O.D. without exception). Guilty of living in this Century, under the beneficence of "Big Brother". Guilty of being an Honest Person, while the ATF lies and exaggerates under oath (and to a clueless audience). All of this is "No Big Deal" to the average American Citizen. "He proably deserved it, and we know the Government would not allow such to be perpetrated upon an An American Citizen, besides; what has the ATF to gain by entrapping people?"

I have been Guilty - Guilty of Carrying an M-14 at 17 years old. Guilty of Swearing an oath, "I am an American Fightingman, I serve in the Forces which Guard my Country and our way of Life" - "I am prepared to give my Life in Their Defence".

The Thing I am most GUILTY of: Being a Believer. (let us pray; Believers and Fools are not one and the same).

If anyone doubts the situation or the situations to come, I have this one piece of advice.
    "WAKE UP and SMELL The G--Damn COFFEE". (Bootleg: Thanks for the Poem, thou art gifted my friend, I will download it and save it for posterity). Keep up the Good Work Gentlemen.

Ronnie G. Perkins
    edited November -1
    Are we all listening?!?? Here we have Ronnie telling us about being entrapped by the ATF, and then we have peole like Newgunguy telling me I don't know what I'm talking about. look in Mass resident ca't buy gun he wants).

Perhaps the difficulty is not mine.....

Death to Tyrants!!!

• GUNMAN4FUNGUNMAN4FUN Member Posts: 76 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have to agree with almost all that I have read here. I do want to add something. The ATF has lost some of it's power in the last couple of years and is slowly making some changes. The FBI on the other hand is taking over where the ATF left off and running wild with it like a man with his head on fire. I am a Police Officer and have had occasion to work with both agencies in some capacity. I can say that without a doubt that the FBI and ATF are just like the rest of us, there is good and bad in both of them. I am concerned about what our government may try to do about our guns and will resign from my job if I am ever ordered to start confiscating law abiding citizens weapons. I have arrested, prosecuted and convicted many people for felonies. If a person has complied with their conviction, whether it be prison time or probation and has not been in any other trouble for some time and does not have a criminal history of violent crime; RESTORE THEIR GOD GIVEN INALIENABLE RIGHTS! I don't feel that it is fair or just to continue to punish someone that society has said has paid their debt. My stepbrother was convicted of being stupid when he was very young. He has completely changed his life and has not even had so much as a speeding ticket. He graduated from college with honors and now has a six figure job. He had his rights restored in that he can vote, but he can not own a gun. I know that a convicted felon can have their right to own a gun restored, because I know someone that had it done. I think the biggest problem is like most things, it's who you know or what family you were born into. I am a God fearing, Constitutionlalist, Republican, Conservative, Heterosexual, White Male that LOVES AMERICA! God Bless the USA!
  • salzosalzo Member Posts: 6,396 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Bootleg
    When existing laws take something away from a citizen, whether its his freedom or property, conditions set by our founding fathers in the Constitution called "Due Process" and "Equal Protection" among others, must be followed.

The founders set no such condition in the constitution called "equal protection".

"It is important, that the habits of thinking in a free country should inspire caution in those entrusted with its administration, to confine themselves within their constitutional spheres, avoiding in the exercise of the powers of one department to encroach upon another. The spirit of encroachment tends to consolidate the powers of all the departments into one, and thus to create, whatever the form of government, a real despotism.."
    -George Washington
  • 0311marine0311marine Member Posts: 3,233
    edited November -1
    well said salzo,
    break the rules pay the price

sspic.jpg
    SEMPER FI
  • mpolansmpolans Member Posts: 1,752 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Wow! I actually agree with Salzo on this one! The 14th Amendment containing the state Due Process Clause (5th Amend has federal) and the Equal Protections Clause wasn't ratified until after the Civil War in 1868.

quote:Originally posted by salzo
    quote:Originally posted by Bootleg
    When existing laws take something away from a citizen, whether its his freedom or property, conditions set by our founding fathers in the Constitution called "Due Process" and "Equal Protection" among others, must be followed.

The founders set no such condition in the constitution called "equal protection".

"It is important, that the habits of thinking in a free country should inspire caution in those entrusted with its administration, to confine themselves within their constitutional spheres, avoiding in the exercise of the powers of one department to encroach upon another. The spirit of encroachment tends to consolidate the powers of all the departments into one, and thus to create, whatever the form of government, a real despotism.."
    -George Washington
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by GUNMAN4FUN
    I have to agree with almost all that I have read here. I do want to add something. The ATF has lost some of it's power in the last couple of years and is slowly making some changes. The FBI on the other hand is taking over where the ATF left off and running wild with it like a man with his head on fire. I am a Police Officer and have had occasion to work with both agencies in some capacity. I can say that without a doubt that the FBI and ATF are just like the rest of us, there is good and bad in both of them. I am concerned about what our government may try to do about our guns and will resign from my job if I am ever ordered to start confiscating law abiding citizens weapons. I have arrested, prosecuted and convicted many people for felonies. If a person has complied with their conviction, whether it be prison time or probation and has not been in any other trouble for some time and does not have a criminal history of violent crime; RESTORE THEIR GOD GIVEN INALIENABLE RIGHTS! I don't feel that it is fair or just to continue to punish someone that society has said has paid their debt. My stepbrother was convicted of being stupid when he was very young. He has completely changed his life and has not even had so much as a speeding ticket. He graduated from college with honors and now has a six figure job. He had his rights restored in that he can vote, but he can not own a gun. I know that a convicted felon can have their right to own a gun restored, because I know someone that had it done. I think the biggest problem is like most things, it's who you know or what family you were born into. I am a God fearing, Constitutionlalist, Republican, Conservative, Heterosexual, White Male that LOVES AMERICA! God Bless the USA!

Beers on me should we ever meet! If all cops thought like you, people
    would trust in the legal system a lot more.
    The one thing I do disagree with you about is the part where you said
    that you think only certain types of crimes should qualify for restoration of civil rights and then only after awhile of being clean.
    I believe that if one pays his debt to society, including completing any post prison parole or probation, the moment they complete all their obligations is when their rights should be restored. Lets face it, have rights restored or not will not be a factor that helps an excon either way should he decide to walk on the wild side again. But,
    having his rights restored would make a BIG difference in his ability to better himself..maybe by getting a RE license, becomming a lawyer, (oops...sorry...becomming a lawyer isn't bettering oneself, is it? ;-)
    getting a job in government or at a defense contractors plant like Boeing, or a million other occupations and good paying jobs that are cut off to those that have had their civil rights taken. When a con is first released, believe it or not, the majority actually have plans on going strait. It's when all they can get is minimum wages and
    blocked roads to advancement that many simply go back to crime out of fustration. You've seen crime from your side, but I really KNOW what all the guys in prison planned on doing when released....and most planned on trying to go strait. Some make it, some don't. But a lot more might have if they had a decent job and future so they could support a family and settle down. The only right that might be controversial to you is the 2nd ammendment. I can see why Cops wouldn't want a "Fresh" excon to be able to buy a gun legally. But there again, you and I KNOW if anyone wants a gun, it's easy as pie to get one on any corner, so the 2nd shouldn't really be a factor either. Actually, it would be beneficial having the con buy a gun legally from a gunstore where it can be traced back to him and where LEAs would know if he had one and what kind, than to restrict the 2nd and have him get one illegally. I used to love to hunt and target practice and never once even pulled a gun on a person. But I did blow up a few buildings over 30 years ago in Chicago because I was paid to do so. (No-one got hurt. Was meant just to scare the owners out of town.) Got busted by ATF for that one, but got off light under the Youth Corrections Act which was in force back then. That was the Hippy/Nam era and everyone was blowing up buildings back then to protest one thing or another. I blew up a few small ones for $$$, not for anger or personal vengence. But in my neighborhood, Wap Bookies still broke arms and legs or hired it out. Mayor Daley was God and the whole city was corrupt. Half our street gang became Chicago Cops and at times we still partied together in later years. Most went to Nam, not all came back. But no-one complained of PTS either. Over the decades, I've owned all the popular full auto assault rifles (FN-Fal paratrooper was my all time favorate behind a Barrett A2 .50 semi auto.) Had pre-ordered a pair of Detonics .451 magnums for $1100 each before they hit the stores. Got ser numbers 7 and 8. they were my favorate "carry" guns for the few times I needed to have them nearby. Had to even cut down 30.06 cases to make the brass for em because they came out before the ammo did. 180 grain Hornady hollow point behind 11 grains of Unique pushed the velocity out to 44 mag speeds in a real short barrel. Talk about one HOT load! WoW! Never did forget it, even to this day. But Chicago was Chicago back then and lots of people carried guns in that city at times.)
    But onto the 2nd thing I disagreed with you about....is thatpeople with certain crimes like violence should not get their rights back.
    On the street as a cop, you don't get to know who is REALLY a sociopath like one does when you live in prison with them for years.
    Some of the "sickest", most violent puppies I've ever met were a few guys doing time for non violent crimes like drugs, burgs or paper hanging. But TRUE sociopaths are often extremely good actors and very clever. That's why at times they can do a few prison bits, have a long record, but never have one hint of violence. Guess I've learned to spot em by looking deep into their eyes facing them. I've learned one TRUE fact about sociopaths....they do care about themselves immensely and will not plot against a "person" that they are sure will come after them to REALLY hurt them. They look for those weaker than they are or who they can deceive or intimidate. BUT-T, they WILL hurt someone.....anyone..., man, women, child or dog, for pleasure or money without feelings. I've always simply told them their FUTURE should they ever even look sideways at me or my family or friends.....and to make sure they NEVER get anywhere around us either. At 6'1 and 260 lbs., I can be very convincing when I spot one of them nearby. A few quiet whispers to them takes care of the matter and they go away, for they KNEW I spotted them for what they are and I tell them the things they don't want to think about. BUT...many murderers are the nicest guys in the joint, often doing time for a crime of passion...catching a wife in bed with a lover and killing one or both with the hunting rifle in the closet in a moment of blind rage. Sometimes a barfight that went wrong or a crime that left someone dead accidentially. Sure....they got 20 to life...for murder 1 or 2, but the murder wasn't planned and just a bad example of Murphys law at its worse. Don't get me wrong....there are the other types of murderers too that do the pre-meditated killings. But they are usually over a drug deal gone bad. Overall though, in prison, the murderers were the ones that were the nicest and most polite of any class of inmate.....believe it or not. (Guess maybe they didn't have to prove nothing to no-one while doing a life bit for murder.) They most violent ones were the ones that likely gave you bull**** as a cop when you busted them. They are the STUPID crooks whether in jail or out! But here too...they won't get too stupid with someone that stands up tall right away, and usually seek prey they can intimidate like the sociopath....but a lot less smart. These are the ones in jail for stabbing...not killing someone, or beating them badly with a bat or weapon...maybe even shooting, but not killing the person. Hardcore Heroin and Crack Junkies often fit this catagory. Then there's all the rest of the violent inmates, which fall into many catagories from Bikers to Crips, drunken barfighters to bank robbers that use a note. Most of these types and most of the murderers that are in prison for "Violent" crimes, are no worse than the after midnight crowd in any hot bar where there's a lot of action. Actually, the Rapo's and Chesters are the worst of all violent prisoners for they only hurt children and women....yet the courts do nothing to them until they've been convicted a dozen times in a year. (Thank God the Prisoners often "Tune Them Up" inside the joint for they are hated by everyone.)
    I can understand "contract" violence, temporary passionate crimes of violence....not wife beaters, accidental barfights occasionally, even gang violence. But I hate the sociopaths, the hardcore violent junkies, the rapo's and chesters as much as most cops do. Yet....even more than I hate them, I know that if civil rights are to be restored to ex-felons, they HAVE to be restored to ALL ex-felons. Just like slavery had to pertain to all slaves and voting rights had to apply to ALL women during womens sufferage, thus ALL civil rights in America MUST apply to ALL citizens of America in order for us to take the "High Ground" our founders intended when they attempted to write a "Bill of Rights" that protected the minorities from the majorities and laid a foundation for future American Generations to BUILD upon....NOT to TEAR APART. So through my Free speech right I still retain, I can say all these things and voice my opinion and even debate my difference of opinion with you in civility and with respect and most importantly, honestly.
    But while I'm at it, I also want to say this. I started these lines of discussion here for one main reason, even though one would think that this forum would be the LAST place an ex-con would find anyone willing to discuss restoration of a felons civil rights.
    I KNEW that this forum would likely have a large number of cops and feds on it plus a lot of people that still believe wholeheartedly that our government would never lie to them nor that a cop or a fed would ever entrap them or lie on the stand. They simply don't understand that cops and feds are human too and they sometimes do things contrary to the Constitution because it's expected of them by superiors and co-workers and it's "Justified" as being ok because it's for the good of the country. I sometimes would get in a heated debate on some forum with a fed about how they are trained to lie on the stand and how prejudiced their training is at Glyncoe (Where most fed LEA newbies are trained) toward doing illegal dirty tricks in order to secure a conviction. Now all federal prisoners know the **** they pull, as do all seasoned cops. Not even a good cop like you can say the Feds don't worry you and all the other regular cops. You KNOW the same feds you worked with last week, will indict your * in a heartbeat and bust you if you even hint at any inpropriaty. You can trust your fellow cops with your darkest secrets, but you can't trust the feds....even if you've known them for years. For it's the feds that often go on headhunting missions to bust cops simply because their city was this months cop hunting taskforces target for the first time in years and the feds WILL get a few cops to fill their quota! Yes, there probably are GOOD feds too. But they can't change anything within and whenever one goes public or tries, they get railroaded instead of rewarded for their honesty. One old private joke I like pulling on a fed I debate publically or in private is to say things similiar to what I now say and when he hotly denies everything, I ask him if he really honored the oath he took when he became a federal law enforcement officer, would he turn in a fellow fed that he seen doing some illegal act or that perjured himself on the witness stand? Naturally the answer by our "Ever so Pure" fed is "Yes" he would and that he has never seen another federal agent ever break any law or lie in his 12 years as an BATF agent assigned to the "Rico" and "Organized Crime" special enforcement team! WOW! I laugh to myself for I know he's believed by all and it's no sense trying to debate him honestly. But here's where I have one little bit of fun. Just about every agent I've met is religious or at least superstitous about not stepping on Gods toes outright. So I ask them this one final thing? Did they ever READ what's written on the outside of the J. Edgar Hoover Building in Washington D.C. ? Naturally every one has read it and swore an oath on it when they became agents. So I ask them this....Ok, if you're not lying about never seeing another fellow agent lie on the stand or break the law or break his oath, can I get my Bible and film you with your hand on it, swearing to "God" that you have NEVER broken your scared oath to UPHOLD THE US CONSTITUTION and The BILL OF RIGHTS thats on the Hoover Building?????????????
    Now naturally this has REALLY shaken every fed I've ever said it too. Of course they ALL said they would either in public or in private. And I always say....OK.....should we ever meet, i'll take you up on that for i'd like to watch you REALLY go through with it even if it's only privately with only you and me and no camera where no one will ever know, for if you really swear on a bible in front of me, i'll NEVER again say anything bad about your agency!
    Guess How many agents will REALLY swear on a bible that they never broke their oath nor seen any other fed break his oath to uphold the Constitution and the Bill of Rights??? NONE that I've met yet, even though they all say they will. But like I said....this REALLY SPOOKS the feds at first and it's not often one sees a "nervous" fed. After all, why should they worry? If they are telling the truth, they shouldn't fear swearing on a bible. If they are lying, why not ly again? For if they broke their oath on the constitution, then they can surely break another oath on the bible and lie to cover up the first lie! No one will know! Not me, not any other citizen watching! Only one that would know is theirself and "GOD ALMIGHTY" !!! (And no-one, not a human alive in any LEA in the world can truthfully make that claim after being on a force over a decade for one simple reason. He a HUMAN being, just like all the rest of us are, and as a human being, he too has human weaknesses and faults at times no matter how good his intentions are! A Cop, A Fed, A Crook......all human, ALL NOT PERFECT no matter how hard they try to do the right things most of the time! I too make mistakes being human. Our founding fathers also knew these things about human fraility and the temptations to stray from a path of Honor and Virtue, so they made ALL the RIGHTS and ALL the PROTECTIONS of a FREE NEW GOVERNMENT run by ALL the PEOPLE themselves. with ALL their imperfect humanity, apply to ALL the Citizens ALL the time EQUALLY and IRREVERSABLY! For what is a free nation run by a free citizenery, all equal in unrevokable bonds to each others future and civility? No such thing has ever succeeded throughout the history of mankind the worlds Monarchs taunted from their Royal Thrones. Surely not even the french thought we could last more than a year or two on our own, much less over 200 years based on a silly notion that the people really do know what's best for the people. DEMOCRACY? A REPUBLIC? CITIZENS NOT SUBJECTS? NO ROYAL SOVERIEGN NOR LORDS NOR KING?

And the WORDS! No Nation can trust it's people with such freedoms and rights for they will surely destroy themselves in a frenzy of dissagreement over everything. A paulper is to be equal to a President? A shoemaker equal to a Man of Royal Blood? All Free to say what they want, all equally able to one day become President from the lowest backround? To be Judged by their peers and not by their Queen? A Nation of Rabble, Exhiles, Criminals and Wenchs from all corners of the World think they can create a Nation such as None Before using WORDS such as "BILL of RIGHTS" that apply to everyone equally ???

And They Believe those WORDS will not falter in generations to come? That they will not ERODE over the Centuries into Meaningless fables? That their people will never Trade their Rights away for security, power and wealth in some future generation?

WATCH and SEE...THE CRACK IN THEIR LIBERTY BELL SOUND OUT as It WIDENS and DESTROYS ITSELF they said. WATCH and SEE as THEIR CITIZENS find ways become LORDS, taking AWAY the HOPES of OTHER CITIZENS! WATCH and SEE as THEIR CITIZENS forbid others from their right of EQUALITY and the PERSUIT OF HAPPINESS! WATCH as SEE as THOSE JUDGES and SHERRIFS break their sacred OATH to PROTECT THE CONSTITUTION and THESE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA AND ITS CITIZENS FROM ALL HARM, FORIEGN OR FROM WITHIN!

For this is the REAL reason I'm here. To ask those that once took an oath to "Serve and Protect" to THINK about Whom and What you are NOW serving and Protecting if Not the Intentions of the Founding Fathers and those WORDS THEY WROTE SO VERY VERY LONG AGO......
    Not Now for Me.....but for my fellow Americans, My fellow citizens...
    for I still believe in them!

WORDS that..

gave ..."ALL", that they had,
    to ..."ALL", that they could.

NUFF SAID-
    BOOTLEG
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by salzo
    If the government does not recognize a right to bear arm for non-felons, why would you think that felons should be allowed that right?

The Constitution promises all the people Life, Liberty, The Persuit
    of Happiness AND OTHER Inalienable rights! What that means to me is
    that I refuse to allow a tyrannical government take rights my forefathers fought to protect!
    And it's likely we'll be the ones to fix the government again as we have to do every few generations when the "work" becomes
    too rough for the "Genteils" and freedom must be paid for in blood!
    Nuff Said-
    Bootleg

"The powers delegated by the proposed constitution to the federal governmentare few and defined, and will be exercised principally on external objects, as war, peace negotiation, and foreign commerce"
    -James Madison
  • longhunterlonghunter Member Posts: 3,242
    edited November -1
    Lots in here to absorb folks.....Statisticly speaking,is it tru e that when most cons,felons get out they go right back and do it again?If the stats do reflect this then why did thay get this problem...seems they put it on themselves.Befor you guys fry me...I DO understand what you are saying and get the same thing from the constitution. I just do not believe that putting a gun in every ex-cons hand is the answer here.You need to be careful with these.....the media can use it as they always do to hack everything you r tryin to accomplish to pieces...and them da** sheep will follow it all.....Baaaa....[:(!]
  • tr foxtr fox Member Posts: 13,856
    edited November -1
    If you were able to carefuly examine the circumstances that made some of those "felons" you would find that they have never committed any violence against anyone. In fact you would find that some of those "felons" wouldn't even seem like they did something terrible enough to even be convicted of something as serious as a "felon". And in regards to the "ex-con" statement, remember that not every "felon" has served time. The government just has found an easy way to deprive yet another group of Americans from haveing the right granted by the 2nd amendment, along with losing their voting rights. And the govts. logic is wrong, because if it is fair (often it is not) for the so called felon to lose two constitutional rights, why shouldn't they lose all their constitutionsl rights?

When guns were invented everything changed. For the first time in the history of the world a frail woman had a chance to sucessfully defend herself and home. My dream is that one of the anti-gun nuts will need a gun for defense and be unable to have one because of their own actions.
    edited November -1
    So....you are willing to say that the costitution gives cons certain rights....where do you draw the line,I find this line quite a bit like yours on machine guns.Where do you draw the line?A two time violent criminal that has done his time deserves to be trusted with a gun to kill,maim,rape again?Can't reach that far pal,just can't.I do understand what you r saying ,got a friend who has forgery,and failure to return rented prop.,On probation 3 yrs.and a felon.Nothing violent,however if letting her have arms means the rest get to,forget it.I can't reach that far,just as it seems you can't make it to machine guns,it seems you do want both ways?
  • tr foxtr fox Member Posts: 13,856
    edited November -1
    Longhunter: Since you seem interested in what I think (I don't experience that often) I will make an honest to try and explain my thinking about machine guns and felons. I'll going to try and keep this short and hopefully therefore not too boring.

I am frankly conflicted on both issues. Perhaps I could go with No one except the military (no police, federal, city, etc. and no civilians) have machine guns. And non violent felons keep their right to vote and to own guns.

When guns were invented everything changed. For the first time in the history of the world a frail woman had a chance to sucessfully defend herself and home. My dream is that one of the anti-gun nuts will need a gun for defense and be unable to have one because of their own actions.
    edited November -1
    tr; I am interested in what most folks think,until either they or I come to a complete impasse.While I agree with some of what you say here,not all the problem as I see it,wouldn't it take still ANOTHER amendment to make anything like that happen? That would seem self defeating would'nt it?