In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

An Observation of the Anti-Gun Mentality

Marc1301Marc1301 Member Posts: 31,897 ✭✭✭
I had a personal experience this weekend that I would like to relate briefly, to demonstrate the depths that some liberal, "gun-haters" out there feel in their hearts.
I live in what once was a rural type development, where everyone has from 1-5 acres, and horses were allowed. The property values have gone up dramatically here, as in many parts of the country. Many new people from different states have moved in here recently, and many are from the New England area. I wave to many people in here on a daily basis, as I come and go,............have a Chevy Avalanche with some customizations that make me hard to miss! Sunday morning, a woman of, I would guess 38 to 40, that I have seen many times, was "power walking" with her baby in a stroller, and a Yorkie, on a leash. I moved way over to the left of the road and slowed down, out of courtesy, and for safety. As I approached her, I waved as she stared at me,..........I have waved at her many times, and have never gotten any kind of a reaction. She has seen me many times, and several with my fiance in the truck. Once again, no response, so for some reason that I can't explain, since I was going so slow, I stopped and rolled down the window,............I usually don't do things like this! For some reason, I had to find out what made this person so rude, as to not even be able to exchange a wave to a neighbor. I quickly found out why![:0]
In a very strong Boston sounding accent, she proceeded to tell me that she had seen my NRA tag on my front safari bar, and the sticker on my window of the same. Her whole premise, is that she "hates", and that is the word she used,.........."gun nuts". She said, I bet you have guns all over your home, and probably are carrying one now in the truck!
I didn't lose my temper, and get sarcastic, as I AM known to do at times. I said that she was right, and asked her if she knew what the second amendment was. She said she couldn't care less! I asked her if she knew what the first amendment was,.............of course she knew that one. As soon as I mentioned it was the right to keep and bear arms, she literally turned red in the face, and said that she didn't care what it stood for, and that "people with guns in their homes and vehicles, are anti-social, and dangerous to others, and that she HATES the NRA. I ended the "conversation", by saying, I was sorry she hated me when she didn't even know me, but not to fear,...........if I ever saw her out walking, and in danger, I would risk my life to come to her aid, and said to have a nice Sunday!
Thought some of you guys would like to hear the lunacy that goes through some folks minds,............it really is scary.[xx(]
"Beam me up Scotty, there's no intelligent life down here." - William Shatner

Comments

• Options
    Rack OpsRack Ops Member Posts: 18,597 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Very typical and very sad.....
  • Options
    WoundedWolfWoundedWolf Member Posts: 1,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I bet if you had a GOA sticker she woulda smiled and waved![:D]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by WoundedWolf
    I bet if you had a GOA sticker she woulda smiled and waved![:D]

LOL,.........yes, because she would have no idea what it meant. I know some of you here don't believe in the NRA, or GOA,.......but I still will send my small amount of money to them for any possible help they can give within the current system. When they and us, cease to be able to hold the fort, is when the SHTF though. Hope it never happens, and I don't do the "macho bravado" talk,........but no one will EVER come to my home, and take my guns, while I can still breathe.
    This is off topic, but have some of you ever thought about this? If the day came that the politicos ordered the LEO's, and even the military, to go house to house to round up our guns, that it would not work? And I am not referring to the killing of LEO's and such,.................I think the rank and file LEO's, and military, would refuse to do it! They are our brothers, sisters, mothers, fathers, friends, and neighbors! I have a slightly different view of what might actually happen if that day ever comes,..........and I hope that it never does![;)]
  • Options
    Don McManusDon McManus Member Posts: 23,476 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Marc1301
    I think the rank and file LEO's, and military, would refuse to do it! They are our brothers, sisters, mothers, fathers, friends, and neighbors! I have a slightly different view of what might actually happen if that day ever comes,..........and I hope that it never does![;)]
    The rank and file LEO's and military are a cross section of the U.S. population, and will no doubt react differently. There will be no problem finding enough of them to go house to house, and the only reason most would 'not do it' would be out of fear.

IMO, there is no harm in allowing said fear to exist.
    Freedom and a submissive populace cannot co-exist.

Brad Steele
  • Options
    Slow_HandSlow_Hand Member Posts: 2,835
    edited November -1
    There are those who are and remain totally unreasonable on any given subject, no matter what logic or truth is presented before them.

Just as an aside, how many times have you heard an individual, one who did something foolish or stupid, look to save face - even though it was completely obvious to everyone else - by persisting in a pointless and silly argument that somehow, in some bizarre way, "validates" his or her behavior?

I see and hear it all the time. For whatever the reason, many people simply will NOT look at themselves or at an important issue with honesty, rationale, humility and logic. I suspect that it's simply too intimidating, too embarrassing or possibly just too far beneath them to do so.

BTW and FWIW, Marc1301, you handled it very well, offering an olive branch with civilty and in the spirit of a good neighbor. Kudos! She's got the problem - not you.
  • Options
    RockatanskyRockatansky Member Posts: 11,175
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Slow_Hand
    I see and hear it all the time. For whatever the reason, many people simply will NOT look at themselves or at an important issue with honesty, rationale, humility and logic. I suspect that it's simply too intimidating, too embarrassing or possibly just too far beneath them to do so.

it's narcissism and anger. everyone's got it, some people have better control of these issues with their personalities, however most don't. how many people including yourself can you name who have no problem admitting their faults?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    The reason I brought up the "scenario", after my main post, is because, as I have said here before, I have quite a number of friends and acquaintances, that are LEO's, and many of them are ex- military. I have had that very discussion with many of them before, and I would say 90%, gave the response that they would refuse the order. Yes,.......the word "fear" WAS brought up by some, and I agree that it is healthy, but by and large the most common thing I have heard is, they don't agree with it, and would not take weapons away from law abiding citizens, and leave them unprotected. These are the same LEO's that have been upfront about their ability, or I should say, "lack of ability", to really protect anyone, especially if you live in a rural setting. I shoot with a number of them on weekends, and I truly believe what they are saying. Yes, a certain number will always be found that will do the dirty work, but I wonder if the combination of the large percentage of flat out refusal, coupled with the fear aspect for the rest, would not render a plan like that, in THIS country, virtually impossible, or at the least, doomed to rapid failure.
    Just wanted to throw the scenario out there, as I have not seen it discussed.
    The female "neighbor", is not an issue with me,.......nothing I could have said, would change her mind, until the day that she needed protection with a gun, and I don't want to wish that on anyone. I AM finished with the friendly waving though. I am also glad in the way that I handled it, as sometimes that kind of issue can get me very hotheaded, especially with a "big mouth" type,........but glad to have maintained the "high road" so to speak. Afterall, I was the dope that started the interchange, and had no idea whatsoever, that the issue had to do with guns. It was the way she was "glaring" at me, as if I was about to run down her, and her baby, when I was doing more than most would to be absolutely safe, that caused me to ask her why she had the "sourpuss" look, and could not return a friendly wave.Oh well,.......no skin off of my teeth!
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Marc1301, if you really want to "get her goat", then take the high road here and continue to wave a friendly Hello! to her whenever you see or pass her by.

Nothing irks a haughty, self-righteous individual more than an inarguably friendly gesture from someone they've already decided to dislike on principle.

Go for it and show her how good a person and neighbor you really are in spite of her biased view of you.[^]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Slow_Hand
    Marc1301, if you really want to "get her goat", then take the high road here and continue to wave a friendly Hello! to her whenever you see or pass her by.

Nothing irks a haughty, self-righteous individual more than an inarguably friendly gesture from someone they've already decided to dislike on principle.

Go for it and show her how good a person and neighbor you really are in spite of her biased view of you.[^]

You are absolutely correct SlowHand,.......and I WILL continue to do as I have done in the past![;)]
  • Options
    dsmithdsmith Member Posts: 902 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The reason I brought up the "scenario", after my main post, is because, as I have said here before, I have quite a number of friends and acquaintances, that are LEO's, and many of them are ex- military. I have had that very discussion with many of them before, and I would say 90%, gave the response that they would refuse the order. Yes,.......the word "fear" WAS brought up by some, and I agree that it is healthy, but by and large the most common thing I have heard is, they don't agree with it, and would not take weapons away from law abiding citizens, and leave them unprotected. These are the same LEO's that have been upfront about their ability, or I should say, "lack of ability", to really protect anyone, especially if you live in a rural setting. I shoot with a number of them on weekends, and I truly believe what they are saying. Yes, a certain number will always be found that will do the dirty work, but I wonder if the combination of the large percentage of flat out refusal, coupled with the fear aspect for the rest, would not render a plan like that, in THIS country, virtually impossible, or at the least, doomed to rapid failure.
    Just wanted to throw the scenario out there, as I have not seen it discussed.
    The female "neighbor", is not an issue with me,.......nothing I could have said, would change her mind, until the day that she needed protection with a gun, and I don't want to wish that on anyone. I AM finished with the friendly waving though. I am also glad in the way that I handled it, as sometimes that kind of issue can get me very hotheaded, especially with a "big mouth" type,........but glad to have maintained the "high road" so to speak. Afterall, I was the dope that started the interchange, and had no idea whatsoever, that the issue had to do with guns. It was the way she was "glaring" at me, as if I was about to run down her, and her baby, when I was doing more than most would to be absolutely safe, that caused me to ask her why she had the "sourpuss" look, and could not return a friendly wave.Oh well,.......no skin off of my teeth!

These law enforcement types that you know may claim that they wouldn't enforce a law like that. But if they were to enforce the existing gun laws, I have no reason to doubt that they'd enforce all future gun laws as well.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    You MAY be absolutely correct,......I am only relating this experience from my little corner of the world! Take it for what it is worth,..........nothing![;)]
  • Options
    nyforesternyforester Member Posts: 2,575 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    It sounds to me that she is uneducated in regards to the freedoms and rights of America and the people that live here and died here to preserve those freedoms. I would have told her that firearms are the one main reason she can walk her crappy little dog without getting raped, mugged, or murdered.

John Wayne said it better than me - "Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid."
    Abort Cuomo
  • Options
    edited November -1
    NYForester,.........it would have been a lost point with her. You would have had to have seen it yourself. Also, we live in different worlds bud! You are in upstate NY, I presume,........I am in central Florida,.......a "melting pot". I did the best I could. I felt the ole BP rising, but maintained, and that is the best thing to do.
    After what SlowHand said, and I agree with,.......I can hardly wait to see her again, and ..........wave!![;)]
  • Options
    n/an/a Member Posts: 168,427
    edited November -1
    These people have an irrational fear/stigma about guns. Either of two things or maybe both exist in them
    1. They are scared of a TOOL that can cause massive damage quickly (mostly because of movie portrayal).
    2. They BLAME the TOOL for the crimes which they commited. Not the person, the TOOL.

These types of people have a backwards way of looking at the situation.Of coarse there are those that have absolutely NO reason for their anti agenda. Take porky O'donelle. She HATES guns, yet has ARMED bodygaurds protecting her cheeto stained rump! Of coarse she is an eliteist too. So all in all, I gather there are 3 types.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    FreeMind +1,.......I agree.
    But we must remain civil, and above them,.........like SlowHand said. That ticks them off more than anything.
    Kind of gets to a person when they realize that someone they hate for no logical reason, seems to surpass them in the "tolerance" factor.
    Of course, at some point that must end,..........referring to my "non-issue".
  • Options
    edited November -1
    FreeMind +1,.......I agree.
    But we must remain civil, and above them,.........like SlowHand said. That ticks them off more than anything.
    Kind of gets to a person when they realize that someone they hate for no logical reason, seems to surpass them in the "tolerance" factor.
    Of course, at some point that must end,..........referring to my "non-issue".

I agree, we should remain civil, however, remember these people are the ememy. While we should try to educate them, some refuse to be educated. These types are our constitutional enemy. As I have said before, if a person CHOOSES not to own arms, so be it. Let them not take away MY right to own them. [:)]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by freemind
    Take porky O'donelle. She HATES guns, yet has ARMED bodygaurds protecting her cheeto stained rump!

That is really good,......you need credit. I just posted on another board today about self defense,......the obvious,........first shot goes to "center mass", as it has the biggest chance for a one shot take down, and is a bigger target than the head,.......unless Rosie O' Donnell breaks into your home!
  • Options
    edited November -1
    As I have said before, if a person CHOOSES not to own arms, so be it. Let them not take away MY right to own them. [:)]

i wonder, how long ago has this disease started. afaik, it's a fairly recent phenomenon, which i personally, attribute to rapid development of information exchange medium (such as internet and tv), where everyone becomes an expert on a subject matter in a matter of minutes, i.e., by skipping through headlines and not bothering to read an entire article, not to mention subject research. i'd say it's about 1/2 of the whole reason that'll bring us to the next large violent conflict.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Take porky O'donelle. She HATES guns, yet has ARMED bodygaurds protecting her cheeto stained rump!

That is really good,......you need credit. I just posted on another board today about self defense,......the obvious,........first shot goes to "center mass", as it has the biggest chance for a one shot take down, and is a bigger target than the head,.......unless Rosie O' Donnell breaks into your home!

And the value of her ample cheetos-stained rump among the Ultra-Liberal dandies increases steadily the more she is despised and attacked by others, especially gun owners and 2nd Amendment supporters.
  • Options
    whompusswhompuss Member Posts: 737 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Marc 1301-
    I used to have my NRA decal on the back window of my truck. One night I was parked adjacent to a building for Tuesday night Kiwanis.
    After the meeting I came out to find my window shattered and my S&W 9mm gone. Now some idiot has a high cap loaded with HydraShock +P+.
    The responding officer remarked that NRA stickers make a vehicle a target as the thief is virtually assured that there is a gun inside.
    Now I leave my vehicle unlocked, remove all valuables and take my handgun inside.
    I will soon be the only NRA Certified Trainer in town so I guess my vehicles will be back in danger. I also belong to GOA and the Jewish organization supporting the 2nd rights.
    Thanks for your story, I also live in a rural subdivision, 3 acre lot, with transplanted Yankees living on the street behind. I have a safe area buffered by heavy woodland making it safe to shoot in my back yard. Every time I shoot he rides up and tells me what a danger I am to the community. His wife is a jogger, runs 6 miles/day. I tell him that if I encounter his wife being assaulted I will use my dangerous handgun to protect her. With the exception of this ultra liberal DumbCrat the rest of us are "bubbas" and carry guns. We have no crime in our neighborhood. However downtown near the 'hood the bad guys are not afraid, hence my broken window and stolen pistol.
    More legal guns = less crime.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Ah, yes,..........the wonderful "hoods", every town or city has one![xx(]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:The rank and file LEO's and military are a cross section of the U.S. population, and will no doubt react differently. There will be no problem finding enough of them to go house to house, and the only reason most would 'not do it' would be out of fear.

Lest we forget...

http://www.gunowners.org/abcnews.mpg

As GOA said:

"Many of the troops were clearly conflicted by their orders. "It is surreal," said one member of the Oklahoma National Guard who was going door-to-door in New Orleans. "You never expect to do this in your own country."

"Many never would have expected it -- confiscating firearms from decent people who were relying on those firearms to protect themselves from the looters.

"It was an outrageous order -- one that should not have been obeyed. There was no constitutional authority for the directive, and it ignored the fact that many good people had already used firearms to successfully defend their lives and property."

This has ALREADY happened in our RECENT history!

-WoundedWolf
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Our Governor here in Arizona just signed off on the Katrina-related gun legislation (SB1258) that prohibits the taking of legally held arms and ammuntition from law-abiding citizens by the Governor or Adjutant General during a state of emergency.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Here in Nevada, we have pending Assembly Bill 95 and Senate Bill 237 which both restrict law enforcement and government officials from being able to confiscate legally obtained firearms from citizens during a disaster.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    We already have it here in Florida.
  • Options
    gunphreakgunphreak Member Posts: 1,791 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You'll know if they get gunphreak's guns, that gunphreak is dead.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Same for me,.........but really, who do you think will care, beyond your own family?
    The masses will still continue to stuff their fat faces with fast food, and wait to see the next episode of "American Idol", and watch the video of you being shot like a dog for entertainment,.......you might even make it to You-Tube, or some such thing![;)]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Same for me,.........but really, who do you think will care, beyond your own family?

people who hang out here and forums with similar views.
  • Options
    tr foxtr fox Member Posts: 13,856
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by gunphreak
    You'll know if they get gunphreak's guns, that gunphreak is dead.

Sounds righteous in theory, but in practice the hot war will continue even after you are gone. And with the loss of you, we will have one less soldier fighting with/for us. We need to keep as many of us alive as possible. So please everyone, don't welcome the chance to go out in a dramatic hail of bullets on your doorstep.

Instead, help us fight the cold war now. If we lose that, then fight the hot war later from the shadows and the rooftops.

JMHO
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Instead, help us fight the cold war now. If we lose that, then fight the hot war later from the shadows and the rooftops.

I agree!
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Who really, REALLY wins in a comprimise? Neither side, each only loses a little. Fox, I am not trying to argue with you, your fight is somewhat noble. I don't desire to see blood spilled either. BUT I know what it will take to get our RIGHTS back. If the NRA or any other business were rolling back gun control laws, I WOULD be on your side. However to have one victory and ten loses is not gaining ground.I think anyone astute on this subject knows this, however, MOST don't want to face what it will take.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:We need to keep as many of us alive as possible. So please everyone, don't welcome the chance to go out in a dramatic hail of bullets on your doorstep.

Instead, help us fight the cold war now. If we lose that, then fight the hot war later from the shadows and the rooftops.

Nowhere in that do I see the word 'compromise",..........there is NO critical mass at this point!!! Try and understand that! One person at a time, being shot to death, will accomplish nothing,......except what Fox said,.........one less "patriot" around when we will need him.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Let me try and make another point on Fox's "cold war, hot war" statement.
    We were involved for a very long time, in a "cold war", with the USSR,..........after much work, and expenditure of resources, we "won" that cold war,.............lets not get into the small details here, about the problems that still remain from the Soviet Unions breakup,.........we won the cold war!
    To Freemind, I guess that was a compromise, and the real "no-compromise" solution, would have been to launch a nuclear strike against them, and obliterate the "enemy".
    Guess what, the minute we would have done that,..........they would have launched a counter-strike, and all of us here today "yacking", would be in the upper atmosphere, in the form of "ash" floating around, and maybe contributing to the next ice-age!
    Just THINK! Sometimes there is more than one solution,........and even if that is not the case, a prudent, intelligent man, waits until the time is right![;)]
  • Options
    edited November -1

We were involved for a very long time, in a "cold war", with the USSR,..........after much work, and expenditure of resources, we "won" that cold war,.............lets not get into the small details here, about the problems that still remain from the Soviet Unions breakup,.........we won the cold war!

diverging a bit -- i believe a battle was won, the cold war still is on, some names have changed, some new people, some new terms but it's still going on. dealing arms with Iran is just one indication. that's my HO and an observation, and i am happy to review it.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I agree, but a new front. The "threat" at the time I was referring to, was largely beat, i.e. the "we will bury you" threats.
    Unfortunately, you are all too correct, as one front is closed, several more open up,...........it is a never ending process.
    At least until we humans all kill one another off, or blow up the planet, we will always have turmoil,.....it has existed since the beginning of time, and will not end until we are gone.
  • Options
    Wagon WheelWagon Wheel Member Posts: 633 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    This article was linked at LittleGreenFootballs.com...after reading his comments, I had to go read the article. Unbelievable...how can people like this function on a daily basis?

Here's what lgf said...

"Here's one of the flat-out craziest op-ed pieces I've ever read, by "former diplomat" Dan Simpson, a member of the editorial boards of The Toledo Blade and Pittsburgh Post-Gazette, in which he proposes turning the United States into a totalitarian police state, with "special squads" of police empowered to search anyone's home or person at will-in order to take away all guns from the populace, and make America truly safe: The disarming of America."

A jaw-dropper of the highest magnitude.

Click here for link
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Check out what Ace of Spades has to say about that crazy article by Dan Simpson.

Ace of Spades HQ#224379:
    http://ace.mu.nu/archives/224379.php#224379
  • Options
    edited November -1
    You decide. Pro or Anti. They seem to include numerous digs and innuendos. Maybe that's what is called fair and balanced reporting now.

Gun dealers say sales are up in wake of mass shooting:

Even though his father was shot and killed by a robber on New Year's Eve 1976, Harkrader remains staunchly pro-firearms. "I don't even go north of the Mason-Dixon line," he said. "You can't carry a weapon up there, so it's too dangerous for me."

Click for link here
  • Options
    HighballHighball Member Posts: 15,755
    edited November -1
    Did somehow you think I pulled my hardline stance out of my rear...that I WISH the entire system to come apart because I enjoy misery and death ??????

Were that to be true...all I had to do was remain in certain places, years ago...continuing to 'stay the course'...

NOSIR; Freedom is my goal..and freedom is my game.

We do NOT HAVE IT IN AMERICA TODAY...what we DO have is MANY people...MANY politicians...MANY powerful people JUST LIKE Dan Simpson...only they are intelligent enough that they don't enblazion their true intent on the public airwaves...

Put this in your mind..engrave it there indelibly.

FORGET Simpson...ANY government moving to license/register/tax/restrict/limit/NICS check/Mental check/invade the privacy of/ average citizens is an EVIL government...moving into tyranny.
    Don't sweat the pisants out there...keep your eye firmly fixed upon the REAL threat..government and their handmaidens..gun owning anti-gunners.
    There are MANY...right here on GB...most, thank God, remain on General..they are unable to look into the mirror some of us
    insist upon holding up...so they can see their miserable selves for what they are..servants of Shumer/Fiendstein/bush..ect...
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Highball:

Just made those posts to back your hand.