In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Does the NRA use our funds productively?

swiftswift Member Posts: 43 ✭✭
I have just finished a pro 2nd amendment book. With the funds to be used for the youth. I have contacted the NRA 8-10 times by email and telephone to get authorization to use research articles. With no response. Perhaps they are just using our dues to get fat.

Comments

• Options
    tr foxtr fox Member Posts: 13,856
    edited November -1
    I decided to follow my own advice in that we need all the friends we can get and therefore have deleted this post.[:I]

While I was napping somewho my NRA attack dog got off his chain and hijacked my GB account.[:o)]
  • Options
    dsmithdsmith Member Posts: 902 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Everybody who visits here regularly knows my opinion of NRA. If you must be a member of the NRA, I suppose it is better than not being a member of any gun group.

That having been said, I do prefer the GOA. I am not a member of the NRA because of their long history of surrendering, and supporting bad politicians. I don't know of how they spend their money, but you can rest assured that they won't tell you.

Check out gunowners.org if you want a serious gun rights group.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thank you for a constructive intelligent reply, unlike most.quote:Originally posted by dsmith
    Everybody who visits here regularly knows my opinion of NRA. If you must be a member of the NRA, I suppose it is better than not being a member of any gun group.

That having been said, I do prefer the GOA. I am not a member of the NRA because of their long history of surrendering, and supporting bad politicians. I don't know of how they spend their money, but you can rest assured that they won't tell you.

Check out gunowners.org if you want a serious gun rights group.
  • Options
    HighballHighball Member Posts: 15,755
    edited November -1
    The NRA is very touchy about allowing their material to be used by anybody.
    In a certain context, this is understandable.

I urge you to contact other gun organizations..they may not be so protective .
    For example...JPFO did the definative study about the direct correlation between governments enacting gun laws...and the subsequent murders of millions of their citizens..by that same government..
    by the way..the NRA has NEVER used this information,either....prefering it to just go away...

God,Guts,& GunsHave we lost all 3 ??
  • Options
    salzosalzo Member Posts: 6,396 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by tr fox

Many people attack the NRA.

Why do you use the word "attack', when criticize is more appropriate? I notice liberalsoften use that word when someone disagrees with them- and have noticed Republicans have been using it more and more when being criticized for their liberal agenda.

"Waiting tables is what you know, making cheese is what I know-lets stick with what we know!"
    -Jimmy the cheese man
  • Options
    gunphreakgunphreak Member Posts: 1,791 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Why do you use the word "attack', when criticize is more appropriate? I notice liberalsoften use that word when someone disagrees with them- and have noticed Republicans have been using it more and more when being criticized for their liberal agenda.

Hey salzo, I'm certain you know the answer to this, but for those who may not, the answer is simple.

Liberls do not debate... they lie. They regularly ignor scientific research, scoff at facts, laugh at the US Constitution, and thumb their nose up at history. They emotionalize, like a bunch of spoiled brats... and it has been working quite well.

Republicans have been noticing that, and fighting fire with fire.

Whatever works, right???

Death to Tyrants!!!
    Lev 26:14-39

Those who would offer any interpretation that would relegate Amendment II to "relic" status of a bygone era are blatantly stating that the remainder of the Bill of Rights isn't worth a damn, either.

Luke 22:36.
    "Followers of Christ, be armed."
  • Options
    DefenderDefender Member Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The NRA is a bureaucracy because of its sure size so they can't kiss everyone's * at once for $30.00 a year in dues. The NRA has regularly fallen short of meeting its goals. When the NRA and it's local chapters put out a request for members to call, fax, e-mail or write their elected representatives, only a small percentage actually do as asked. The result is we get the legislation we fought for. When you don't fight or expect others to do it for you, our guns become contraband.

If you have a problem with the NRA responding to your beef, perhaps you contacted the wrong department within the NRA. Call again until you get the right department.

I hate the brain dead gun owners that are afraid to add their name to the NRA roster because the government may find out. The idea is we all stand up for what we believe in as all Americans are supposed to do.

The GAO is smaller and manage to do a fine job. Join them too. Be heard or be herded.

Defender
    Private investigator licensed in AZ & CA that specializes in self defense cases.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by salzo

Many people attack the NRA.

Why do you use the word "attack', when criticize is more appropriate? I notice liberalsoften use that word when someone disagrees with them- and have noticed Republicans have been using it more and more when being criticized for their liberal agenda.

"Waiting tables is what you know, making cheese is what I know-lets stick with what we know!"
    -Jimmy the cheese man

If someone "criticizes" in my opinion they are leaving the door open for an improvement in behavior at which time the "criticism" may stop.

When someone "attacks" in my opinion they will not stop, or at the very least will find another reason to attack, until the institution they are attacking is gone.

Most of the "negative opinions" against the NRA that I have read have been "attacks".

Quote "Somehow government decided that the Constitutional Bill of Rights has become the Bill of "Suggested" Rights and are to be rationed to the citizens as the power elite sees fit"
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Being an NRA member, myself, I will only say this once...

In this month's "America's First Freedom" (I think it is May 2005, but it covers April), the NRA totes off about the FOPA '86, and how wonderful it was, but failed to mention one word about the prohibition on machine gun manufacturing, but yet, may have learned the lesson when it came to the types of guns banned in '94, and the types that are the focus in today's society.

So tell the truth about machine guns. They pride the FOPA '86 so much, but by allowing that little insertation, it opened up a floodgate in '94 for Klinton to scale down from actual machines, down to things perceived to be machine guns, to which the next target would have definitely been any semi-automatic rifle, I'm certain.

If they, instead, made an article that explained the successes and failures provided inside the FOPA '86, while explaining the significance of why it needed rolled back, I would have been behind them all the way on it.

Since they didn't, it is nothing more than a piece of propaganda.

The GOA doesn't see it this way, nor does the JPFO or the SAF.

Death to Tyrants!!!

Those who would offer any interpretation that would relegate Amendment II to "relic" status of a bygone era are blatantly stating that the remainder of the Bill of Rights isn't worth a damn, either.

• Options
    edited November -1
    I don't know if any of you guys have ever thought about this, but in order for the NRA to be lucrative, gun kontrol has to exist.

Death to Tyrants!!!

• Options
    edited November -1
    Polio, which used to be the scourge of children everywhere, is now isolated to a few small areas of our planet. In order to wipe Polio off the face of the Earth, we still need some qualified, dedicated and effective scientists that to a degree specialize in fighting Polio.

I for one am glad those scientists are there and on the job, even if they are getting "fat" while doing their job. I am also glad the NRA is there doing their job, even if they are also getting "fat" while doing their job. I am also grateful for the GOA, JPOF, 2Amendment Foundation, etc. for being there and doing their job.

Is there anyone here who is so perfect they cannot forgive the NRA for at least A FEW mistakes?

Quote "Somehow government decided that the Constitutional Bill of Rights has become the Bill of "Suggested" Rights and are to be rationed to the citizens as the power elite sees fit"
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Sure thing... once they admit to them.

Death to Tyrants!!!

• Options
    edited November -1
    The NRA is a realitivity large entity. It does not make sense to ask them to "admit" to any mistakes to one or a few small-time members/critics. Overall the NRA is successful. How can anyone criticize or argue against success?

If only the people who criticze the NRA were as successful at fighting for our gun rights (in SPITE of its flaws, if any) were as successful as the NRA.

• Options
    edited November -1
    "Successful at fighting for our gun rights"....

22,000 ++++ gun laws.
    That is the current defination of success ?

Thanks..but I will take the risk of allowing the slimy empty suits their total gun ban...and hope there are enough men left in America to take it back.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Highball
    "Successful at fighting for our gun rights"....

22,000 ++++ gun laws.
    That is the current defination of success ?

Thanks..but I will take the risk of allowing the slimy empty suits their total gun ban...and hope there are enough men left in America to take it back.

Without the NRA AND THE OTHER pro-gun rights groups fighting for us, there would be 44,000 ++++ gunlaws instead of "only" 22,000.

• Options
    edited November -1
    Either we as citizens have rights..or we don't.

22,000 infringements = NO RIGHTS.
    No amount of posturing or defense of the NRA will change that fact.

Bring ON the 44,000 gun laws..at least we will then be done with the NRA proclaiming that they are " The Only Thing Standing Between Us and Them Taking Away Our Guns.."

Sorry, Tr;..I respect you. But beating a dead horse..talking about how much worse it would be without the NRA ..cuts no ice for me.I believe we would be in a FAR BETTER position WITHOUT the NRA merely slowing down the juggernaut of gun control.....
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Once again, I don't consider paying $16,000 for an MP5K-PDW plus a $200 tax, and then waiting months upon months for the government to approve you to be a big victory. However, this what the NRA constantly boasts about as being their best acheivement.

I don't have that kind of cash, and I'll have to settle for a $3,000 MAC-10. Always keeping in mind that the punishment for exercising your constitutional right without the paperwork is 5 years in prison, up to $10,000 (or $250,000 for machine guns) in fines, as well as loss of any vehicle or boat that was used to store your gun. I hope that we are all on the same page here, and can admit that this kind of law is not right.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Highball, you wrote:

quote:

Sorry, Tr;..I respect you. But beating a dead horse..talking about how much worse it would be without the NRA ..cuts no ice for me.I believe we would be in a FAR BETTER position WITHOUT the NRA merely slowing down the juggernaut of gun control.....

As always I have no argument with your position in this matter. In fact I am always glad to see you express your views when ever an argument gets going. I want others to see and consider your somewhat unique viewpoint. It might be good for them as I think it has been for me.

• Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by dsmith
    Once again, I don't consider paying $16,000 for an MP5K-PDW plus a $200 tax, and then waiting months upon months for the government to approve you to be a big victory. However, this what the NRA constantly boasts about as being their best acheivement.

I don't have that kind of cash, and I'll have to settle for a $3,000 MAC-10. Always keeping in mind that the punishment for exercising your constitutional right without the paperwork is 5 years in prison, up to $10,000 (or $250,000 for machine guns) in fines, as well as loss of any vehicle or boat that was used to store your gun. I hope that we are all on the same page here, and can admit that this kind of law is not right.

Here is the page I'm on. Dsmith you have always presented yourself as an honest, lawful and reasonable person. In view of that I do not want to see you denied your passion to own a fully automatic rifle. I have my toys. If that is the kind of toy you desire then as a free America there should be no laws preventing you from having it.

• Options
    edited November -1
    Hey, fox.

You somehow think that not admitting to an error in spite of current "get tough on gun laws" tactics have been the recent mainstay of NRA tactics (think AWB expiration, here), and that it may rally people to join the cause the same way that the most recently demonized .50BMG rifles are, right now. A good counter strategy to encroaching on gun rights is not to defend, but to take back lost ones.

This will always be true. NRA has influence over its members, or they wouldn't be members. If we are getting tired of the fight, the NRA has some degree of power in taking our rights back in the soft war, but as I said, gun kontrol has to exist for the NRA to exist.

Death to Tyrants!!!

• Options
    edited November -1
    TR;
    You are always a man I respect. Your defense of the NRA is exactly what I would expect of a good man. You lack the cynical view of life I possess....mine developed over many years of watching the steady encroachment of tyranny..I used to marvel and wonder how on God's green earth a Hitler could rise to power in a country like Germany..a progressive, intelligent people.

I no longer wonder..I am living in a country allowing the exact same thing to happen. We are living in the last days of freedom. 10 years..20..I don't pretend to know..I just see it coming like a freight train.

I see decent people supporting men working full time to destroy the foundations of EVERYTHING we ALL should believe in...because decent men WANT to believe that other men are like themselves....
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Yep.[:)]

• Options
    edited November -1

Here is the page I'm on. Dsmith you have always presented yourself as an honest, lawful and reasonable person. In view of that I do not want to see you denied your passion to own a fully automatic rifle. I have my toys. If that is the kind of toy you desire then as a free America there should be no laws preventing you from having it.

Thanks TR. I myself am not currently a member of the NRA, but I do everything I can for the GOA. I do respect your wishes to be in the NRA, as the list of NRA members is what all the media members talk about and is used as a test to see how many dedicated gun owners there are.

So while I disagree with a lot of their actions, I do respect anybody's decision to join them.

Just like you said, I wouldn't deny you any of the toys that you liked, and it's good to know that you are in the percentage of the population that wouldn't deny me mine.

As always, any disagreements that you and I may have are not motivated over hostility, and are a sign that we can get reasonable discussions going on here without resorting to personal attacks.

Thanks for the intelligent conversations.

And Highball, you claim to be cynical, and you are to a degree, but you are also right most of the time. I don't believe that we will ever get a complete gun ban, but I do believe there is a chance things will get a lot worse. Just don't give up, because all is not lost. I would personally like to see the GOA's numbers grow, because it is their goal to repeal gun laws, not just to stop new ones.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Never get the idea I have 'given up'.

The American spirit does not allow it.

I merely have redirected my attention in other areas. Whatever the elite tell us to do..vote, petition, e-mail,write letters, send money..have all failed...and are being used to occupy valuble time.

By keeping the masses of people convinced that their opinion means something in the hallowed halls of power..they can continue to keep us chasing our tails...meanwhile, the overall agenda grinds on....

My personal agenda...today..is to convince people to stop voting..stop begging empty suits to obey the Constitution..stop sending money to those trying to merely 'slow' the rate of gun control laws...
  • Options
    mpolansmpolans Member Posts: 1,752 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Gunphreak, your argument ignores the fact that the NRA was around for the better part of 100 years before it got involved in 2nd Amendment politics. ILA is only one of several NRA Divisions (hunting, competitions, law enforcement and training, publications, etc.) and wasn't established until the 1970's (1975???)

In fact, of all the pro-2nd Amendment groups cited in this thread, the NRA is the ONLY one that did exist and would continue to exist if all gun laws faded away, so the NRA doesn't need to gun laws as a reason to exist!
  • Options
    dlonewolflldlonewolfll Member Posts: 77 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    For the first time in reading all the topics posted, I have come across a debated topic where no one was spouting party line crap. I read a lot of intelligent discussions where fellow posters respected each other and said so, even if they disagreed. It was a nice change of pace.

That being said, I have to agree with both tr fox and defender. I am glad a large lobby is there battling for us and I am glad there are other groups out doing doing battle for us. It is apparent to me that the average gunowner does nothing to defend his rights and probably won't do so when the "rubber meets the road" and we really have to do battle to keep our rights.

I am an endowment member of the NRA (upgraded from life 5 years ago) and I give money to the NRA-IRA when I can. I also support the GOA and the Second Amendment Foundation. I believe for us, as gun owners, to ensure our rights to stay intact from the small minority that would take them away, we have to not only have a good defense but also a multi-spearheaded offense. I believe ALL gunowners should belong to as many groups as possible. This gives us POWER!

This the my humble opinion.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by mpolans
    Gunphreak, your argument ignores the fact that the NRA was around for the better part of 100 years before it got involved in 2nd Amendment politics. ILA is only one of several NRA Divisions (hunting, competitions, law enforcement and training, publications, etc.) and wasn't established until the 1970's (1975???)

In fact, of all the pro-2nd Amendment groups cited in this thread, the NRA is the ONLY one that did exist and would continue to exist if all gun laws faded away, so the NRA does need to gun laws as a reason to exist!

Is this really what you meant?

• Options
    edited November -1
    My hat is off to all of you. I obviously am one of the many that fell into the "take it for granted" category. Until becoming an FFL dealer, a bail bondsman and a bail enforcement agent. Now I can see how most don't take time, have time, or make time for getting educated on the fight for our rights. We do have a serious problem with government growing to big for their britches and forgetting the bill of rights, of which the first nine amendments itemize specific rights of the people which the federal government cannot violate, the tenth a blanket statement limiting federal authority. In March 2005 the Supreme court decison ruling that capital punishment is not applicable to persons under the age of 18. This is incorrect. The Supreme court should have sent the question to congress. Instead of properly discharching its duty, they set age limits where none existed in the Constitution. Therefore amending by judicial decree. The amendment process as specified in the Constitution has been circumvented. When the Constitution is in effect amended, a de facto amendment, by one group of men, what is to keep other groups of men from attaching their facto amendments, until the Constitution is so cluttered it is no longer recognizable. This is dangerous and the freedoms of the people are at stake.
    In spite of where in America we live, what color we are, or what flavor we prefer, we, meaning you who have responded and myself, all share the same hope to keep our rights. The ability to discuss and educate by doing so without personal attacks, which are beside the point, is a step in the right direction. I may not debate as well as
    you all but that doesn't mean I feel any less strongly about our cause. Keep up the good work. God bless.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Gunphreak, your argument ignores the fact that the NRA was around for the better part of 100 years before it got involved in 2nd Amendment politics. ILA is only one of several NRA Divisions (hunting, competitions, law enforcement and training, publications, etc.) and wasn't established until the 1970's (1975???)

mpolans,

You need to brush up on history. Gun kontrol existed, then. It began when certain Democrats began passing laws directly after the Civil War, specifically to disarm blacks. Ever heard of the "Saturday Night Special"? Any idea where that term come from? Well, I'll tell you.

During a few debates prior to Southern Democrat politicians voting to ban inexpensive models of firearms, one was heard in the debate, "...if you really wanted to commit murder on anyone, you could just go into black persontown on Saturday night, and take care of your business."

Bam... the existence of the Saturday Night Special. The NRA came into existence as a result... not vice versa.

It needed gun kontrol laws to exist then, and it will need them now. If there were no gun laws, there would be no urgency to fight gun laws. In the exact same way, anti-gun groups would not exist in a place where a total gun ban existed. Don't be fooled.

Death to Tyrants!!!

• Options
    edited November -1
    Swift, stay around, we need such as you.[:)]

4lizad
  • Options
    dlonewolflldlonewolfll Member Posts: 77 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    AMEN tr fox----the more the better!
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by mpolans

In fact, of all the pro-2nd Amendment groups cited in this thread, the NRA is the ONLY one that did exist and would continue to exist if all gun laws faded away, so the NRA does need to gun laws as a reason to exist!

Is this really what you meant?

Nope. Typo. Fixed.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by gunphreak
    quote:Gunphreak, your argument ignores the fact that the NRA was around for the better part of 100 years before it got involved in 2nd Amendment politics. ILA is only one of several NRA Divisions (hunting, competitions, law enforcement and training, publications, etc.) and wasn't established until the 1970's (1975???)

mpolans,

You need to brush up on history. Gun kontrol existed, then. It began when certain Democrats began passing laws directly after the Civil War, specifically to disarm blacks. Ever heard of the "Saturday Night Special"? Any idea where that term come from? Well, I'll tell you.

During a few debates prior to Southern Democrat politicians voting to ban inexpensive models of firearms, one was heard in the debate, "...if you really wanted to commit murder on anyone, you could just go into black persontown on Saturday night, and take care of your business."

Bam... the existence of the Saturday Night Special. The NRA came into existence as a result... not vice versa.

It needed gun kontrol laws to exist then, and it will need them now. If there were no gun laws, there would be no urgency to fight gun laws. In the exact same way, anti-gun groups would not exist in a place where a total gun ban existed. Don't be fooled.

You need to brush up on your spelling and history. What political actions did the NRA take in regard to the racist Saturday Night Special laws you cite? I cannot find any. The earliest pro-2nd Amendment political activism of any form that I've read the NRA taking part in didn't occur till 1934 for and it was just info letters to members. Actually lobbying by the NRA doesn't appear to have started till the late 1960's or so. Before that, it appears that the NRA was strictly for the promotion of marksmanship training and education. See this link for details:
    http://www.nrahq.org/history.asp

Regardless, what other pro-2nd Amendment organization besides the NRA could continue to exist without gun laws? GOA? Don't think so!
  • Options
    longhunterlonghunter Member Posts: 3,242
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by swift
    I have just finished a pro 2nd amendment book. With the funds to be used for the youth. I have contacted the NRA 8-10 times by email and telephone to get authorization to use research articles. With no response. Perhaps they are just using our dues to get fat.

Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ,I won't even touch this one.....
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by gunphreak
    Sure thing... once they admit to them.

Well, why can't that "no admitting" be one of the "few mistakes" for which you forgive them?

OBTW, Swift, the author of this topic, appears to have expended a lot of effort, time and talent in writing what looks like a really neat book. If interested check it at:

www.gilmoregun.com

4lizad
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:What political actions did the NRA take in regard to the racist Saturday Night Special laws you cite?

Actually, at the time, the NRA did something more monumental than politics... they assisted in the arming of blacks with surplus rifles. Once this was done, the KKK was less successful at their lynchings and more racist white people were getting killed by blacks defending themselves. It was at this point that legislators saw a race war brewing and cut it off as quickly as it could by striking down those laws and sending enforcers to ensure they were being followed.

This is a good strategy, as it acted as a catalyst for changes in the law that most likely would have done no good if the matter was lobbied. Too bad they don't do this type of thing anymore.

See, this is what happens when you ask the wrong question....
  • Options
    Old IronsightsOld Ironsights Member Posts: 93 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Does the NRA use our funds productively?

Well, so far they haven't even had the time or energy to email an "NRA-ILA Alert" to mention that Lautenberg is going to SCOTUS and needs Amicus Briefs, or that there is a Bill in the Senate to get us close to CCW Receprocity...

But those aren't as important as fundraising letters I guess.
  • Options
    bald_cobald_co Member Posts: 21 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    What has the NRA surrendered on? The NRA is really the only organization that protects our rights. All other nation org's add up to what 100,000 members? I have volunteered at every NRA annual meeting for a while now and can tell you they truly use our $$ wisely. I have gotten to know some of the program directors, and know that I make more in overtime per year than they make total. They do it because they love the cause. When I need something I never have trouble!
  • Options
    n/an/a Member Posts: 168,427
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by bald_co
    What has the NRA surrendered on? The NRA is really the only organization that protects our rights.

LMAO.
    Your not really serious about that question are you?
  • Options
    pickenuppickenup Member Posts: 22,844 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by freemind
    quote:Originally posted by bald_co
    What has the NRA surrendered on? The NRA is really the only organization that protects our rights.

LMAO.
    Your not really serious about that question are you?
    Remember......Education is the key.
    Uneducated just means, they have never been SHOWN.
    Break it gently.
    ROFLMAO.